Cisco Enterprise Routers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Enterprise Routers is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Routers. It is most often compared to MikroTik Routers and Switches: Cisco Enterprise Routers vs MikroTik Routers and Switches

What is Cisco Enterprise Routers?
The high-performance Cisco Enterprise Routers are the market leader due to their breadth of advanced support for LAN/WAN services, redundancy, reliability, and performance.
Cisco Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cisco Enterprise Routers Customers
Aegean Motorway, Boingo, Chartwell School, Children's Hospital of Orange County , Department of Justice, Explorer Pipeline, Linz AG, National Rugby League, New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Telecom Italia, Transwestern
Cisco Enterprise Routers Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Enterprise Routers pricing:
  • "Cisco is way too expensive for small and medium businesses. They must lower their prices in the lower range equipment."
  • "The product is very expensive and does not provide the expected performance for the cost."
  • "Cisco routers are an expensive product."
  • "It's not a fair price, it's a bit too high."

Cisco Enterprise Routers Reviews

SB
Principal Engineer IoT Network Architecture at Vodafone Idea Limited
Simple command line interface, intuitive design, but orchestration could improve

• "I have found the most valuable feature of Cisco Enterprise Routers to be the simplicity of the command-line interface, it is very intuitive as to how the commands need to be configured for a specific use case."
  • "Over time things have changed where Cisco has not invested in improving the orchestration and simplifying it for people who do not want to get into the details. Cisco has not gone into that focus."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Cisco Enterprise Routers for building micro-networks and internet networks for main VPN services, high-speed internet access, and extending the network of customers.

What is most valuable?

I have found the most valuable feature of Cisco Enterprise Routers to be the simplicity of the command-line interface, it is very intuitive as to how the commands need to be configured for a specific use case.

What needs improvement?

Over time things have changed where Cisco has not invested in improving the orchestration and simplifying it for people who do not want to get into the details. Cisco has not gone into that focus. Technologies such as MPLS and VPN, have become very difficult to use for many service providers. This is where you have the admission of software-defined networks which brought in a lot of simplicity when it comes to routing and functionality.

What Cisco Routers needs to do to improve is what they have already done with the SD-WAN solution. It is a very, elegant solution, but even though it is a pretty comprehensive solution, one of the problems with the Cisco solution is many customers do not use all the features. They must have a category of customer premises equipment, specifically for the managed service providers and enterprise networks that can be much more cost-effective from an IT perspective. The configuration can be simplified at the GUI level. It should be easier because any telecommunication provider only has an enterprise network nowadays.

When I am running an SD-WAN as an enterprise, I have features that are capable of finding an alternate path when there is latency. I have yet to find a solution to integrate them. For example, if I am a managed services provider for an SD-WAN customer, how do I make sure that this feature is automatically taken care of by the service provider side by monitoring its own option. This managing from the service provider side in the SD-WAN solution does not exist, it is all only static provisioning right now. When you are doing the original provisioning it happens, but dynamically when the network changes due to quirks in the network, how does it actually handle it. If there was this kind of features it would help Cisco to become the best in the process. You need to have a more solution-specific understanding.

The parts management teams have to come up with features that will benefit the service provider and the enterprises if they want to be the best.

I have been working with Cisco Enterprise Routers for approximately 30 years.

The stability and bugs are more related to a Cisco internal issue because when I worked in the Cisco team in research and development, their internal procedures were very complex and they had a very bloated OS software. All those problems have been solved in approximately 2007. They have improved a lot of processes and areas. They brought more modularity into the code and they have strict mechanisms for fixing the software. Earlier the problem was that when they fixed the problem for one router, they had to go and fix the same issue in different code bases. For example, if there was a bug in QoS, Quality of Service, code and it was on a router that was also found to be in all the versions which of many other routers, they will fix on few of them. They will not fix many others because that would cause problems later in the deployment of the solution. This method has backfired a lot for Cisco.

They learned from their mistakes and started modularizing the code, they standardized the quality of service across the platforms and those problems went away.

Now they have much more modular code and have done a very good job standardizing the CLI. This is what is helping the orchestration because the more complexity you have across different platforms it makes it very difficult for orchestration. You are able to do it but it makes it even worse. They needed big teams to manage the bug fixes and to understand how the bugs were going to be fixed. Now with the tools that are available, they have simplified a lot of the processes. The concept of segment routing and how can it be used for micro-segmentation, are wonderful features.

The lack of talent is the major challenge and is something that is widening. However, orchestration solutions will actually help. The more proficient technical support personnel can focus on the troubleshooting whereas the entry-level personnel can focus on the orchestration part and manage the services. The troubleshooting can be taken care of by the more technologically advanced personnel at level two support and the level three technical support should be in the position to go right down through the levels and be able to see what is going wrong and fix the issue.

There was a time when we had excellent technical support in Cisco. It has been 10 years since I left Cisco and one thing I can say is that over a period of time, the technical support of Cisco diminished. The problems were more related to the internal processes within the system and the hiring processes that were used. When you are hiring people for technical support you cannot just hire somebody based on CCIE or CCNA certification. You need people who are real engineers who understand the protocol at the level of detail that is required at the level of implementation and the software must be understood extremely.

Unfortunately, in CCIE they learn how to pass the exams, but they really do not know how to build real networks. There are people who are very good at networking in configuring but they are extremely bad when it comes to understanding computer architecture, what is error correction memory, how does it affect software performance, and what kind of problems it can bring. They have no idea at all. This causes a problem when attempting to troubleshoot the equipment.

These problems are what Cisco and all others face. Cisco has invested a lot in their teams, but if you have managers who do not know how to recruit the right type of people then you face a lot of challenges. Those working on routers, switches, networks, and their environments must have a good understanding of what an operating system is, what is the computer architecture, what is the architecture of the router, and what it is implemented in the protocol. It is very important to be aware of the tools that are in the customer environment, how is the customer using them, are they using them in the right way, or in the wrong way. These things also must be understood.

Most of the help personnel just focus on the software side of the problem. They are not worried whether the customer is getting the connectivity in the right way or not, you have to be supporting in the right way. When I was in a company called Wipro, which is a Cisco partner, I found that they did not know even know how to handle the information correctly. You feel a lot of challenges because of the way hiring is done.

I am not sure how they handle new features or functionality nowadays but I used to do technology transfer to help people understand how a particular feature or the new functionality that is developed in the platform was supposed to be working, such as certain setup commands that I have used for configuration, the expected outputs, and some of the basic troubleshooting that was needed.

The prices of Cisco are mostly fair. Cisco is similar to BMW for the networking industry. If you compare it with other vendors, such as Huawei, they cannot match the service. Cisco solution serves as the BMW of the networking industry in the way that the others are trying to live up to those expectations. Cisco is justified in some of the pricing, not all the pricing, if you go to the Cisco website, you can see the detailed documentation.

I am currently working with Nokia and it is very difficult to find where the documentation is on the web. They do not even provide the datasheets, and they are only provided them on request for the equipment. How will a person really appreciate a company when it comes to that kind of solution? I can go to the Cisco website and look at the SD-WAN to see the validated designs, all the information, and understand them just by creating myself an account but not with Nokia. I am even trying to figure out what are the protocols that Nokia will use in their SD-WAN solution. It would be much easier to have documentation to compare the advantage and disadvantages. Cisco's openness in their documentation is one of the most appealing strengths of the company, it really gives you an indication of how open they are. The documents detail how much money they spend on it, and how they are helping the industry from an infrastructure perspective. Additionally, Cisco gives you talented individuals. There are people who are self-learners who will go to the website and look at the documentation, learn, and understand the software to find which functionality has a bug. When it comes to a Nokia, they will only help you if you are a managed service with a contract. Otherwise, you cannot even deploy their equipment, this is not a good practice.

I justify part of the pricing that Cisco has but not the full model. There is a 25 percent price increase over the Nokia and it is justified for what Cisco delivers to its customers. I am calculating not just the pricing for just the routers, but the overall price, including openness and how much support they can handle. They are excellent. If you run a network without software support from Cisco and call technical support they will help. For example, they will indicate the problem exists because you upgraded the software and if you have a contract, you can automatically download the software to fix the problem. This would not be the case with Nokia, you will need them to be involved, they select the managed services, and that makes it extremely difficult for people to afford.

Cisco is way too expensive for small and medium businesses. They must lower their prices in the lower range equipment. They need to make sure that they do not ignore that market segment because they will lose it for good. They will be gone from the Asian market and they will survive with only those companies which are extending their arms into India and South Asia because of the large companies that are there. They will not be able to penetrate the markets in all small and medium businesses and will not thrive.

I have evaluated Huawei and Nokia solutions. Nokia solutions are pretty good. However, in their software, I have heard from many of my friends, they have some type of secrecy that they follow that is very difficult for me to digest.

What other advice do I have?

It is important for smaller companies to focus on understanding how deployments are done. The learning should be done from the perspective of deployment operations because whether you are an enterprise or a service provider you are buying these routers and offering a service to the internal or external customers as a service provider. You need to understand how these platforms and overall solutions help you to build a network faster and which part of it reduces the cost. Many of the smaller companies do not understand the operational expenses well enough, they will end up doing all kinds of Ad Hoc configurations with half the knowledge, and they will run into problems and it will be expensive.

I rate Cisco Enterprise Routers a six out of ten.

PS
IT Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
An expensive solution that does not live up to expectations for performance

• "The product can help teach valuable life lessons about what not to do when building a network."
  • "Many things about this solution are problematic including setup, configuration, performance, upgrades and support."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is for Internet access and firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

The commitment to Cisco products based on their advice and knowing our model and what we wanted to accomplish did not put us in an optimal situation. I do not think this solution has improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

I don't particularly like the product. The decision to go with Cisco was made by the company. Now they made an expensive investment so they feel we have to keep this equipment.

What needs improvement?

The capacity of the equipment should be improved. Cisco sells expensive equipment, but it does not really have greater performance compared to the price paid for it. So, we're paying very high prices for medium — or low to medium — capacity equipment.

One thing that I would like to see is a more user-friendly dashboard. Really it generally needs easier capabilities to do basic management of the product and the system for users who are not Cisco employees or representatives.

Though it is not directly the product, their technical support services can be improved. We have not had many problems with the product, but we pay for support and they have not really solved the issues we submitted to our satisfaction. It is the same with Cisco iOS. We know that when we install the next version, we have come to expect that something will break. Testing upgrades should be improved as well.

We have been using the solution for close to seven years.

Around 70 people are currently using the products. There are two administrative or technical employees dedicated to maintenance. The scalability seems limited by performance.

We have opened cases with the Cisco customer support. Early on we didn't really have many issues. For what we pay for the platinum support, I don't think that they are doing a great effort in working with us. In one instance where it seemed to me that Cisco didn't really understand the problem, they tried to push us to get the newest equipment. The same equipment was working fine for the same thing about two months before that. So, it doesn't make sense to have to upgrade the equipment when something has broken that was working. I think that something was wrong either with the licensed upgrade on the iOS that did it. I don't know. But I do know that Cisco was not able to pinpoint exactly what the problem was and the solution they offered did not make sense. If it was hardware that we have a warranty for or an upgrade that they introduced, they should be able to locate the problem for clients paying a premium for their services.

Reflecting on that incident, they seemed more interested in selling more equipment than to really dig deep and discover what the problem was.

Actually, it is the Cisco products we use now that we will be replaced with another solution. We did not move from something else to Cisco. We have plans to get rid of the equipment. We want to switch to another vendor which has more robust products for a lower cost. We pay too much for what we get in performance. The problem is not really in terms of capabilities but in terms of the capacity of the equipment. It makes no sense for us to have such expensive equipment where we can have router equipment with less complexity and then have proper firewalls behind it.

The features Cisco intends to include in their product are very limited due to the way the features affect the capacity of the equipment. For example, imagine that the equipment is capable of handling a hundred megabits of internet access without any additional features configured. After the additional features are enabled and configured to perform the job as advertised, the bandwidth and performance are reduced drastically. It makes no sense to have such expensive equipment if it does not do what is intended or if it does not do it as well as another configuration would using dedicated products. Cisco advertises all the things you can do, but then you get the overall capacity squeezed and it is not as great as advertised.

It is not exactly that the product does not do what it is advertised to do, but you lose the performance that you expected when going with this model. If we knew about this performance drawback before, then we would not have bought this expensive line of the product. We would have gone with something cheaper. It could even have been a different Cisco product, but we would configure the network in a different way. We would not do the firewall in JCL (Job Control Language) that's on the routers, but we would do it on a proper firewall. If we did not spend that much money on the gateway equipment, then we could get different equipment with a proper firewall using what we saved.

I thought that the initial setup was very complex. Cisco does not have a straightforward logic for the configuration of the equipment. You need to do a lot of extra things. For example, you have to open a specific port to the outside to allow traffic, you have to review the ACL (Access Control List), and you need to review firewall provisions. It's a bit complicated to manage compared to other equipment and in other firewalls where it is a much simpler process. I find it complex to manage this Cisco solution and I am sure it can be simplified.

Our deployment took about two to three months, at best, to tune it up to make all work properly. It was not done alone by me, but it was all done in house. I have a good team of people, but it took too long to get everything dialed in. Even after that time, we had only met most of the requirements that were outlined. There was still more to do.

We have a team and did our own implementation.

We don't have any licenses at this time. There were some compensating licenses that needed to be renewed every year, but then Cisco ended that practice. It was also sort of the local price break for the solution. Currently, we just pay for the hardware once and extra for the warranty extension. Besides those costs, there were no additional expenses. We did pay additional for a specific module. It was from another company embedded inside the Cisco product and we had to renew every year on that license. But then Cisco stopped promoting the use of that feature. When they did the product performed better because the module was taking up too much of the CPU usage.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Cisco Enterprise Routers poorly from the experience that I have had. I would say a three or possibly four. I wish we had gotten the correct information from Cisco when we talked to them back when we were considering the solution. We told them what we wanted them to do and they recommended this solution. I think there may have been a miscalculation of the sizing of the equipment. So, I give it three out of ten because I could do the same or have the same or better result with a different solution that was not as expensive as this equipment.

The company and products are good overall, but they still overprice the equipment compared to the competition.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others considering this solution would be not to do what we did. Don't go with the all-in-one solution. Buy a basic product that Cisco certifies is more than capable of routing the traffic that you expect on the network, then get a decent firewall behind the router to really take care of security, content filtering, ACL and all the rest that a firewall does. It could be a bit expensive, of course, because you're buying two products instead of one. But what you can get out of it is much more than we get now from this Cisco solution.

It's not by any chance that when ISPs all over the world deliver an internet access line, they don't give you the top of the line support equipment. They don't push you to buy Cisco because it is the best. They give you something really basic because it's not supposed to do anything else than routing traffic from and to the internet. They expect you to have a firewall behind that router to manage all the rest of what a firewall is supposed to handle. Those providers know exactly what they're doing.

What I have learned from my experience with this product is to do more to check for something else as alternatives and compare products without just accepting a reputation and advice from the vending company's experts. You might not need to buy something expensive to really accomplish what you need to do.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Enterprise Routers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DM
Sr. Network Engineer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Easy to set up, reliable, and has pretty good technical support

• "They are the best in failover switches. Their product line is excellent."
  • "Depending on the customer, the initial setup could be complex."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the router. It could be H branches router, the MPLS router. or the border gateways router.

How has it helped my organization?

The routing aspect itself has improved the way our client's organizations are run.

What is most valuable?

We don't necessarily give a lot of interest to the various aspects of the solution as Cisco has dedicated devices for a bunch of features. That said, routing is in the running.

They are the best in failover switches. Their product line is excellent.

What needs improvement?

We don't really see any places where Cisco is lacking. They are quite reliable.

A specific client may have specific needs. There may be features they need that Cisco may not have. Each organization is unique in that sense.

It would be nice if Cisco had the capability for packet capture.

Depending on the customer, the initial setup could be complex.

Technical support could be slightly more responsive.

We've used the solution for more than five years at this point. It's been a while.

We've used other technologies that have given us issues, however, we've had very few problems with Cisco. It's quite a reliable product.

Whether the solution scales well depends on the client and the model they've chosen to work with. Some customers have certain requirements and will need to work with certain models in order to get the scalability they desire.

We usually do some analysis and we only provide recommendations based on future goals or future requirements, instead of anything else. That way, we're prepared for an expansion.

We typically support small or medium companies. We don't typically deal with enterprise-level organizations. If we do deal with enterprises, it is only for support and not for implementation.

I'm an engineer. I do my best not to call support. My job is to resolve issues to whatever I can do. I don't like relying on customer support, or support from the vendor. That's not appreciated from the customer side. What's the point of hiring an engineer, otherwise? That said, in the rare instances I do, they have always been very helpful. They are responsive and knowledgeable. I'm very satisfied with them so far. Overall, I would rate them at an eight out of ten.

They could slightly improve on their response time. However, sometimes the issue is that it is difficult to explain. I'm an engineer and I'm on the field, deploying and configuring. Tech support it's only resolving cases based on the database. They start looking for that in the database. Often, whatever recommendation they do, it's not that big of a fix as they just "find" the problem and I resolve it.

While we tend to always recommend Cisco, if a client doesn't have the budget for the solution, they may choose something else.

Our customers are mostly based in the UK. They are not that big. They're rather small companies. They don't require a complex deployment. Therefore, we didn't find the initial setup complex. For us, it was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Cisco partner.

We use the service cloud routers as well.

In terms of versions, the company has recently changed from IOS to XE. We're using the latest version of the solution.

We're deployed both on-premises and on private clouds. We deploy this for our clients, and therefore the deployment model depends on their requirements.

I'd recommend the solution. If a company decides to go with a Cisco router, they are making a wise decision.

In general, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Farzin Oramipour
CEO at Atin Secure Systems
Great CLI and OS with fantastic stability

• "The solution is easily scalable."
  • "Due to the sanctions on our country, we can't get outside help directly from Cisco. We need to handle the implementation ourselves."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a Cisco specialist, and I implement Cisco devices, not always just for myself. We consult, implement, and design Cisco devices for our customers according to their needs and requirements. Just for the record, I am the CEO of my company: Atin Secure Systems ltd.

What is most valuable?

I feel free with Cisco's operation system (IOS), and specifically, it's CLI. The power of Cisco is it's software and OS, not just their hardware. Their end product is very stable, straightforward, and scalable. However, it takes time and energy for a beginner to be able to administer the CLI.

What needs improvement?

Cisco could update or release a new GUI. It needs a more extensive and comprehensive GUI, specifically for people who don't like using CLIs. I don't mind CLI but, I know based on my experience that not everyone prefers it. Unfortunately, Cisco promotes only to use CLI.

I am teaching Cisco up to CCNP level to my students, but up until today, I haven't been able to take the Cisco exams because we are banned from doing so in our country due to sanctions. We cannot even take the Cisco exams out of the country. I wanted to travel to Turkey to try, however, I was told I wouldn't be recognized even if I pass the exam.

I have been implementing, designing, troubleshooting, and teaching Cisco for ten years.

Cisco has the best stability I have ever seen. There aren't bugs or glitches, freeze, or crashes. It's very reliable.

The solution is very scalable. It's another feature that's great. You can add as many Cisco devices as you want to your project or your scenario if your initial design is correct. This can be done without any side effects and without any big changes.

We're based in Iran. We suffer from a lot of sanctions, so we don't have access to Cisco specialists or Cisco support. It's not allowed.

Cisco is somehow expensive in comparison to other vendors. Hence, we have switched to other brands only to satisfy the financial needs of our customers. Our only suggestion to customers is Cisco.

In my opinion, the initial set up is useless for a person (a specialist or a technician) who wants to run a full scenario. If I were Cisco, I would eliminate that initial setup.

The initial costs of using a full Cisco scenario like purchasing gears and licenses may be a little bit high. However, with accurate design and implementation, you should make sure you are good to go for years.

Cisco is the definition of computer networks in the industry. I have experience and knowledge in other brands like Mikrotik. However, Cisco is the best on the market.

What other advice do I have?

You can't compare Cisco to any other gadget or any other solution. They're the best in the market, hands down. I have no choice other than giving them full marks of ten out of ten. I'd recommend Cisco to everyone.

GA
Deputy Director at a sports company with 201-500 employees
A reliable product that does not require any major changes

• "In itself, Cisco is a reliable product and does not require any major change."
  • "Cisco routers are an expensive product."

What is our primary use case?

We perform immigration checks in Pakistan. We have around 26 distributed check posts across Pakistan. We need network links to collect the data, implement the stop list, and other immigration-related data.

How has it helped my organization?

For immigration, we use an MIS system that helps the immigration personnel. This requires a network infrastructure at its core. We need to ensure the availability of data and to ensure data security.  round 90 to 95 people use it within our organization.

What is most valuable?

In itself, Cisco is a reliable product and does not require any major changes. We have utilized Cisco for around 15 years, and in that time, there has hardly been any incident to my knowledge that a router suddenly became faulty, or started to malfunction. Cisco is an excellent and very comprehensive product, and we have no issues with that.

What needs improvement?

It's not really about how Cisco can be improved, but the utilities around it. For example, Fortinet has a good firewall and useful auditing tools with it. It also allows establishing centralize infrastructure, just by installing a Fortinet client software, VPN software, at the client end. However, we know that Cisco is also providing such a product in the name of AnyConnect. It is a concern over the cost aspect because of the budget we have available, Fortinet is much cheaper than the Cisco product, including the functionalities it provides. Cisco routers are an expensive product. Regarding Cisco usage in the future, it depends upon the increase in the immigration checkpoints. If our government decided to open 10 more immigration checkpoints, and other sites related to those, it would require more procuring of hardware, including the number of routers to support this.

We have been utilizing Cisco routers and switches, since 2004. We are a police organization in Pakistan.

We still use the Cisco router 1721 Modular Access Router, which is now obsolete but still works. It is very stable. We have some very old, like 16, 17 years, old models. We have been using Cisco for around 15, or 16 years. We are satisfied with Cisco.

It's highly scalable. There should always be provision for scalability, as we procure many routers with modular capability. For example, we know that modular routers are capable of extension via WAN interfaces and other interfaces.

We are very much satisfied with Cisco technical support.

Some companies provide initial licenses very cheaply, as do Cisco, but when you want to renew or expand something, the licensing becomes expensive.

The network team proposes that we might utilize Fortinet instead of Cisco in the future. There is no problem with Cisco, but this is when we might move towards Fortinet because Fortinet can provide these things that are very much cheaper than Cisco, including additional resources.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate cisco 9 out of 10. Cisco is the network equipment leader. It introduces new features; it's the trend maker. The trade-off is cost. Cisco is highly recommended, subject to the availability of funds. It's all about the resources you have and how much you want to invest. We are the customer. However, we are also studying Fortinet and its comparisons and things like those to finalize the procurement process.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
IB
Head of Cisco Department at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good security, throughput, stability, and technical support

• "The most valuable features are security and throughput."
  • "This solution is scalable but it does need some improvements."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for some of our customers is to build their network. Others want to upgrade their networks because they have expanded their office or have new offices or new buildings.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and throughput. Security is very important and the throughput is valuable because the data amounts get bigger each time.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of this solution needs to be improved because the amount of data gets larger and larger as does the network. This should be a part of the site share equipment.

In the next release, I would like to see cloud management and cloud security.

Also, for our customers, if they could have all of their tools in one place for monitoring and configuring their equipment, and it should be very secure.

I have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is very good and stable.

When you sell millions of routers and features, you will always have some type of issue. With any solution you have different situations with installation or with configuration. In general, it's a very low percentage of issues.

This solution is scalable but it does need some improvements.

There are no limitations to the number of users it can have, but it depends on the equipment and the network size. One local router could serve maybe five hundred to one thousand customers, whereas a larger network can accommodate more, so the number of users depends on the equipment and the technical parameters.

In the case of issues, you can contact customer support and it will be resolved in a very short time.

The technical support is very good.

I used to be an integrator and when I had some cases or tasks we had very quick and qualified support with Cisco.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. This solution has a web-based interface which makes it easy for installation.

The deployment can take one or two days. If it's a new implementation and it just needs to install one router in a network, it can take less than a day. But, if it's in Europe and it has a complicated network because they are large, it will take time to make new routes or policies. This can span one or two days.

Some of our customers have their engineers who can implement this solution, so they don't use a reseller or integrator. However, in most situations, resellers and integrators are hired to implement this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Buy official equipment and services from Cisco and you will have fully qualified technical support.

There are no limitations, you should go forward with the solution. There is always something new being developed and it is always growing.

This is a company that is very innovative.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Debendra Chaudhary
Network Administrator at OM Networks Pvt Ltd
Great hardware but needs better automation features and could scale easier

• "The solution is mostly stable."
  • "The automation capabilities need improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily deployed the solution in IP VPN configurations from the head office to branch offices and other centers.

Currently, in Nepal, there are no advanced Enterprise Routers. This is just for routing and VPN supports.

What is most valuable?

Cisco is a great product.

It is excellent hardware.

The agent support has been terrific.

There are no policy or hardware issues at all. The performance is great.

The solution is mostly stable.

If it's a standard setup, the initial implementation can be straightforward.

What needs improvement?

I want to get some advanced features. I want to use advanced features such as SD-WAN or Viptela and vManage or vBond. However, these are not available in Nepal just yet. The supports could be better in Nepal.

The automation capabilities need improvement. Right now, everything is too manual. We'd like to really see much more automation availability.

The scalability could be better.

I have good experience with Cisco routers and switches. I've been dealing with the solution for about five years.

Mostly the solution is stable, however, there is no 100% certainty in any product. Some could be defective and some could be improved. Some could be weak. However, mostly by-in-large, there is no problem with Cisco products.

In the current device, the scalability is not so good. There are no SD-WAN features in Enterprise Routers. In Nepal, there are normal VPN and normal routing protocols and not many features in SD-WAN.

We also work with Sophos, Fortinet, Nutanix, Peplink, and F5 products. We're also Juniper partners.

If we deploy normal routing just for routing purposes, it is very easy and convenient to configure. However, if you get something on IPC again, such as more robust security, there is a little bit of complexity. It's just a little bit more complicated than normal static routing and other routing protocols.

What other advice do I have?

We are Cisco partners. We are a full IT solutions-oriented company.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten. While the hardware is good, it doesn't offer very easy scalability and lacks decent automation capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users, however, it depends on customer requirements. If the customer requirement is a very large network and a lot of brands and there are various data centers, I would recommend they install a different device. There are devices coming - such as SD-WAN. There are Viptela and other devices such as vBond. I would recommend those types of devices and suggest that automation and DNA should be installed.

That said if a customer's requirements are not that broad, and they just need routing, or the requirement is just routing and IPC VPN, I would recommend this product.

KS
IT Consultant at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy plug-and-play usage, stable, and scalable

• "What I like the most is that it's an easy plug and play device to work with."
  • "The only other thing we struggled with from time to time is when we were configuring access points through a controller."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers. We provide products for our clients.

I am using this solution for my network in the office.

We mainly sell it to the government departments, who also use it on-premises for their LAN.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is that it's an easy plug and play device to work with.

What needs improvement?

I haven't really delved deeply into the configuration, so from the router's point of view, I can't provide much of an opinion. From the switches perspective, I feel there isn't much that can be done because again, I have delved into the configuration.

When we set up a LAN and we use Cisco, it makes life easy. If instead, we buy it from the distributor, it comes provisioned with the licenses. We just plug it in, and the network goes up, except when we need to do a VLAN.

The only other thing we struggled with from time to time is when we were configuring access points through a controller. The challenge we had was because our client used a firewall and they used a proxy, which gave us many challenges in relation to the configuration. But other than that, it went well.

The price should be reduced.

Our clients are mainly government and they want to implement CCAT6A and they come up with extremely stringent conditions. It made it difficult for us to even bid because they want gold certified partners. It became a bit tricky for us to submit the bids.

I have been working with Cisco Enterprise Routers for eight years.

There are no issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution.

We have not contacted technical support with this project. We felt it's something we could sort out ourselves and then we managed to sort it out.

It's not a fair price, it's a bit too high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others, but I would ask them to buy from the channel, they shouldn't buy from the market. Because once they buy it from the channel, they do have a lot of benefits that they can derive from it.

I would rate Cisco Enterprise Routers an eight out of ten.