Cisco Enterprise Routers OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Enterprise Routers is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Routers. It is most often compared to MikroTik Routers and Switches: Cisco Enterprise Routers vs MikroTik Routers and Switches

What is Cisco Enterprise Routers?
The high-performance Cisco Enterprise Routers are the market leader due to their breadth of advanced support for LAN/WAN services, redundancy, reliability, and performance.
Cisco Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Enterprise Routers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cisco Enterprise Routers Customers
Aegean Motorway, Boingo, Chartwell School, Children's Hospital of Orange County , Department of Justice, Explorer Pipeline, Linz AG, National Rugby League, New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Telecom Italia, Transwestern
Cisco Enterprise Routers Video

Archived Cisco Enterprise Routers Reviews (more than two years old)

EK
Head of IT Department at Silver Springs Hotel
An extremely stable and reliable device that performs well

• "The solution is very stable. I have not seen any downtime due to the product freezing or anything like that. It performs well and hasn't required reboots unless it's to troubleshoot with a support service provider needing configuration. It doesn't overheat and it's on 24/7."
  • "If I only have one LAN port in which I want to connect more than one device, I have to buy an add-on card so that I can have two LAN ports. The smaller devices and low-end routers have about four LAN ports. This solution is a high-end device but has only one. It would be preferable if they offered more LAN ports."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. I have not seen any downtime due to the product freezing or anything like that. It performs well and hasn't required reboots unless it's to troubleshoot with a support service provider needing configuration. It doesn't overheat and it's on 24/7.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if there was a graphical user interface or something to interface with the router.

If I only have one LAN port in which I want to connect more than one device, I have to buy an add-on card so that I can have two LAN ports. The smaller devices and low-end routers have about four LAN ports. This solution is a high-end device but has only one. It would be preferable if they offered more LAN ports.

I don't know whether the solution can be cloud-managed. When I am away from work, it would be great if I could still have access and manage things, check the configuration, etc. Right now, I don't have a way of monitoring things if I am not at my desk.

I need a feature introduced where I can be able to tell if my provider is giving me constant capacity. The solution should be able to alert me to when the capacity fluctuates so I can go back to my provider and tell ask them why they are giving me less capacity than I am paying for.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years.

The stability of the solution is very, very good.

There was a time I was experiencing some issues with the low-end Cisco router, the 800 series, but I upgraded to the enterprise option and its performance has been remarkable, I have no complaints whatsoever.

We haven't attempted to scale the solution, so I can't really speak to if it's easy or difficult.

I've not engaged with Cisco technical support directly, but the resellers supporting us have been excellent. I prefer to work with the internet service providers because they are the ones who sold the Cisco router to me and they've been supporting me very well and I am happy with their assistance.

We didn't really use another solution, at least not on a large scale. We did use some small routers like Linksys for a handful of people. For the purpose of our internet connectivity from the service provider to my company, I wanted to use Cisco.

Deployment took some time. One person came in to terminate cable. Then, the next day, they sent someone to configure the router which took three hours. Some of the settings weren't quite working right, which is why it took that long.

The initial setup was done by my internet service provider because they did not want anyone to tamper with their configuration.

What other advice do I have?

We operate a hotel and we have clients who are logging into the WiFi all the time. We need to give them good connectivity. Sometimes we get as many as 500 connections and we know that with Cisco unless the service provider lets us down, the device won't fail. It's a very good product.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it ten out of ten.

PA
Lead Network Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Satisfies our company's MPLS network requirements

• "The most valuable features of this solution are MPLS, BGP, and VRF."
  • "I would like to see the setup time reduced."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is MPLS and Internet routing.

I am a network architect and this is one of the solutions that I have worked with.

How has it helped my organization?

We are required to build an MPLS network in our company, and this solution has been very useful.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are MPLS, BGP, and VRF.

What needs improvement?

The support for SD-WAN technology is not mature yet.

I would like to see the setup time reduced.

I have been using this solution for twenty years.

We have no issues with respect to stability. It is ok.

Scalability is ok.

I have not recently been in contact with technical support because it is the operational team that would deal with opening tickets. However, when I dealt with them several years ago, I was satisfied most of the time.

The setup of enterprise routers is primarily hardware and it takes a long time to set up.

Our in-house team performed the deployment.

The price of this solution is high.

What other advice do I have?

In one or two years, once SD-WAN is more mature, we may switch from our traditional routers and protocols to be completely integrated with SD-WAN.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to consider the routing that is needed because it can change the way you set up and deploy. There are differences between MPLS, internet routing, and office connectivity. SD-WAN will also be something to look into.

This is a good solution, but it's not perfect.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Enterprise Routers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RT
CEO at Reynolds Global Solutions
The VPN is the most valuable feature of this solution and it has good connectivity

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case is for connection to the internet. For example, it's my connector to the point then the user internally browses. It's my router and a switch, just for small business clients. We use it to connect to the internet.

What is most valuable?

The VPN is the most valuable feature of this solution. The basic clients who don't use the VPN use it mostly for connectivity.  I've never had a client come to me with a problem with this solution.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I have been using this solution for around three years.

It is stable.

What do I think about the scalability

What is most valuable?

I've never had a client come to me with a problem with this solution.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

I have been using this solution for around three years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. If we are adding a network and then a branch, that is just with a press of a button but increasing internally isn't so easy. Physical scalability is easier. For example, I have a client who has funding from Nairobi then to Mombasa and they want a branch office.

In terms of the users, I have ten plants that are using this.

With Cisco, they will help you with the solution if you don't know how to do something.

The initial setup is straightforward. The one interface that I use for one command center and the LAN are simple to set up.

I set it up myself. I'm working on getting a partnership with Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Nothing is perfect and Cisco is always developing and improving the product.

I would recommend it. I sell the product and I would recommend this one as an internet solution. I get everything I need from this solution.

AH
Network Infrastructure Program Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good routing, flexible configuration and an easy deployment process

• "The routing feature is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "The solution needs to offer some security features in a future release."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the routers for internet and wire connection.

What is most valuable?

The routing feature is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The solution is more flexible in configuration and in deployment. The deployment is very easy.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we use the 4000 series of the solution, however, there were issues with the 1900 series.

The solution needs to offer some security features in a future release.

I've been using the solution for 15 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. In our company, we have about 10,000 users. We don't plan to increase usage right now.

Technical support is excellent. I'd rate them ten out of ten.

We previously used, and still use Juniper. We use both Juniper and Cisco within our organization; we haven't replaced one with the other.

The initial setup was straightforward. Deployment takes about two hours.

Our strategy was to have both high and low-level information in regard to the configuration. We usually have it in our script and we can use this information to assist us with deployment.

You require about two people for deployment and maintenance of the solution.

In most cases, I handle the implementation myself. However, in some cases, we used system integrators due to the nature of the contract involved.

There's a yearly licensing agreement. You can add more features at an additional cost if you need to.

What other advice do I have?

We're mostly using the 4000 series of the solution.

In terms of advice, I'd say users need to be clear about customer requirements to avoid overpaying for features they don't need. They should take care to select the proper router type and use the proper license. For deployment, they need a high level of understanding, for the implementation and configuration. They need to be prepared for all scenarios to be network ready. Something might turn off, for example, so they need to be prepared for those instances in order to properly handle them.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

JC
Specialkonsulent at a government with 201-500 employees
Good performance and the DNA is expected to improve security

• "We achieve good performance in our data center."
  • "We would like to see the security improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use these routers in our data centers, in several places.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Cisco DNA (Digital Network Architecture).

We achieve good performance in our data center. We are connected to the other locations via remote lines and the capacity is lower than what is supported by the equipment. Clearly, the equipment is good.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see the security improved.

I have been using this solution for about fifteen years.

To this point, this has been a stable solution.

The scalability has been ok until now.

We work with a consultant firm for our technical support.

We have always used Cisco equipment. Cisco is known worldwide by everyone and most people know what they stand for.

The complexity of the solution depends on what you are going to implement.

Just routing the internet into our location is simple and straightforward. It's always through the MPLS, which means that we don't need to be aware of things other than configuring the firewall.

The setup can be quite difficult, but that's the way Cisco likes to do it. That's why we need to hire extra people from the outside to come and help.

We are still in the process of deploying this solution.

We are using consultants to assist us with our deployment and they are very qualified to do this setup.

What other advice do I have?

The Cisco name guarantees that it is a good product and it meets most of the demands.

We expect that Cisco DNA will solve the problems that we had in terms of security. It was quite difficult before, with the 802.1X. Now, it is more flexible.

RA
Senior Manager at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A reliable internet gateway with effective routing policies

• "The most valuable feature is that we can specify the routing policies for our traffic."
  • "Some of our customers have asked that this solution have a 10G connection."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is as an internet gateway.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The cost of this solution is a little bit high compared to others.

Some of our customers have asked that this solution have a 10G connection.

I have been using this solution for four years.

We have not had any complaints about the router going down.

The scalability of this solution is good.

We have customers with between thirty and fifty users and we have other customers who have between one hundred and one hundred and fifty users.

Cisco's technical support is very good. I have used them for this solution, as well as for access points. I would rate their support an eight out of ten.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

We perform the deployment and configuration of this solution for most of our customers. Many of them are not educated in Cisco technology. There are some customers who can handle it, but they still consult with us for advice.

This solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We have not done very much configuration with this solution because we only use it as an internet gateway and we also use the firewall for filtering and applying policies.

This product is very good but nothing can have ten out of ten.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten

GoumouFerdinand
Security Engineer at Socitech SA
Stable, good documentation, good technical support, and the CLI is good

• "Most of the hardware is very stable."
  • "If they can negate or reduce the modem delay, that would be great."

What is our primary use case?

This is a solution that I integrate for our customers.

What is most valuable?

Most of the hardware is very stable.

In the 3750 model, the best feature is the stacking. My customer needed that because they wanted high-availability between the firewall and the end-users.

What needs improvement?

High-availability management needs to be improved. When one switch fails, it will ask you to come back and use a different one.

If they can negate or reduce the modem delay, that would be great.

When we are performing maintenance, it takes too long to reboot the device.

I have been using this solution for two years.

The scalability is very good. I have not had any issues with it.

I rarely contact technical support. I am a technical person and do it myself because I am the first level of support for my customers. Everything is easy to do. What I like about Cisco devices is that they have documentation. Whenever you have an issue you will go online to find it first. Normally, there are examples of it.

The last time I contacted Cisco was for somebody who wanted to change their license for a wireless email security appliance. Support was able to help me, and the issue was solved. If I cannot handle the issue then I contact Cisco tech and they will solve it. They are great and have helped me to satisfy my customers.

Previously we were using another solution, but we change to Cisco Enterprise Routers because where I work, most people want to have full control of their devices.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the time, I use the command-line interface.

The downtime for a switch automatically taking over for another one has been reduced. It used to take five or six minutes for the jobs on the other resource tree, but it is faster now.

My advice for people implementing this solution is to test it. Try new things that you have never tried. Cisco has support, which is the most important thing.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Simbarashe Mazorodze
Solutions Architect at Terrific Tech
A stable solution with good technical support for interconnecting our branch offices

• "Cisco has one of the best products in terms of routing because of the protocols in which they provide."
  • "In terms of room for improvement, I think that there is a need for additional administration."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for interconnecting our branch offices. We have six branches in addition to our head office.

All of our routers are on-premises deployments.

What is most valuable?

The Cisco routers are very stable.

We can use these routers for multiple links, so in terms of scalability, it's a plus for us.

What needs improvement?

In terms of room for improvement, I think that there is a need for additional administration. We have seen other products, such as the Cisco Email Security Appliance and the Cisco Web Security Appliance, now have a web-based interface. We would like to see this in the routers, as well. It would make our administration easier.

Considering the increase in data that is being processed across networks, I think that increasing the CPU size to boost processing power would be wise. People are now trying to do more analytics, so this would be helpful.

I think that it would be better for analytics if the local storage, on the router itself, were increased. This would allow us to store more data for analysis as we are trying to secure our network.

We have been using this solution for about six years.

This is a very stable solution.

The scalability of this solution is good.

These routers support a user base of about seven hundred and fifty people. We do not immediately plan on increasing our usage, although as the economy grows, we can see increasing our user base to perhaps one thousand users in two years. It will increase as we open more branch offices.

We have reached out to Cisco's technical support, and in the past six years, the service and support have been excellent. We are happy with the turnaround times.

Cisco is very a popular vendor in this country, so I have been using Cisco products all along, in terms of routing. I have not been exposed to other technologies.

The basic setup is pretty straightforward, although we have reached out to Cisco for help when we needed to implement tight security and integration with other Cisco products.

We have a technical team of about ten people who manage these routers. There are six system administrations and three people in the head office.

We used our Cisco Premier Partner, who are local, to assists us with these solutions.

Cisco is mid-tier in terms of pricing and quite affordable by most enterprises.

There are some people trying to introduce other technology such as Check Point and Juniper, but our Enterprise customers rely on Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Mostly, this is a very good product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Saqib Jawaid
Senior Consultant at Circles Consulting

• "It has provided us a more secure environment, especially the firewall. We've had multiple attempts of network intrusion which have been defeated due to the firewall rules in place."
  • "Their support has room for improvement. The regional agents are not that great."

What is our primary use case?

The statistics show you a full brief of every user, every type of connection used, and the total bandwidth used. We control our VPNs through it and our actual line of defense for our security is the Cisco firewall. We have four different fiber connections and two satellite connections connected to our offices. They all load balance through Cisco and another analytics device. It integrates very well into our network and we find it to be extremely robust and durable.

How has it helped my organization?

It has provided us a more secure environment, especially the firewall. We've had multiple attempts of network intrusion which have been defeated because of the firewall rules in place.

What needs improvement?

Their support has room for improvement. The regional agents are not that great.

The devices can be a bit of an energy hog. We would like to see a more durable power supply system because being in a third world country we have frequent power outages and it takes a bit of time for our generators and stuff to kick in which then leads to power surges and whatnot. Even with the proper power management system, it can also affect the devices themselves.

More than five years.

We're extremely satisfied with the stability. We've had around two or three outages in the last 18 years.

We are very limited in terms of scalability. We're a small firm, we hardly have 30 people.

Our entire company uses it. We're all on the network. We have 152 users right now and we support about another 135 mobile devices. They're all financial institutions.

Cisco support itself is excellent. Some of the resellers are very good but some aren't.

The initial setup was quite easy. Our employees are Cisco certified so they are familiar with the setup and activities of the products. The very initial setup was in 2001. After that, we just swapped it for the updated rules of the devices. That's all we had to do. It's been a seamless integration and a seamless upgrade with very minimal downtime.

Our implementation strategy was that we had to open an office in 30 days. It took us about two weeks to wire the entire office up and put the hardware in place. It was a total initial build so we had no issues at all. Everything was covered. We did have serious problems where we had the wiring issues and whatnot, but otherwise, it was business as usual.

We have three people in our network department who oversee the devices, maintenance and whatever needs to be done. We have two technicians and one Cisco certified tech.

Our initial setup was done by a Cisco reseller. We had a good experience with them and we had normal issues. We had issues with one of our appliances that had gone down and we couldn't get a replacement but that was an issue on their part.

Our issues are basically currency related. The licensing is in dollars and the dollar is steadily rising. We've had an increase in the licensing fee due to the simple reason that the exchange rate is almost over 40%. That creates a major issue. If the currency devaluation doesn't stabilize, we may have to look at another solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise someone outside the US to consider the issues that we're facing right now, the currency devaluation and licensing fees.

I would rate it a nine out of ten because we haven't had any major issues with it.

Chikwado Attama
System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
This solution is very durable and does not have any downtime.

• "This solution helps us with our inter-network constitution, and that works for us."
  • "The cost is prohibitive."

What is our primary use case?

This solution helps us with our inter-network constitution, and that works for us.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the configuration that is involved with iOS. In addition, it is very durable. It does not have downtime.

What needs improvement?

It comes with 3-1 default box and other parts. You have to buy additional lamp parts, which adds to the cost if they could, but affect the number of parts with the default configuring.

More than five years.

The solution is quite impressive.

The scalability is good. It is durable, and quite good.

I have not used tech support.

The initial setup was very good.

The pricing is a huge issue. I had to convince my company to purchase this solution. It is very expensive, and prohibitive.

What other advice do I have?

I think the network backup for this solution is solid, and is worthwhile for any company to consider.

reviewer941463
Manager at a tech company with 51-200 employees
User
I find their user interface easy to use in getting simple to complex tasks completed, even after not using it for a while.

What is our primary use case?

Installed at many locations using a hub-and-spoke design to connect remote sites to central locations over GRE tunnels.

How has it helped my organization?

Its routers are versatile, reliable, and capable.  I find their user interface easy to use in getting simple to complex tasks completed, even after not using it for a while.

What is most valuable?

I extensively used site-to-site VPNs, access control, etc., linking remote sites to the central location to create a highly distributed organization.

What needs improvement?

Recently, there seems to be a lot of people who are leaning towards Juniper CLI, which is easier to pick up.

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• Its routers are versatile, reliable, and capable.
  • I find their user interface easy to use in getting simple to complex tasks completed, even after not using it for a while.

Infrastructure Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Everything is well documented on the Cisco DOC site, with a lot of deployment scenarios as well in others sites around the web.

What is most valuable?

This is the Enterprise Class solution for Routing, all technologies needs for now and for the future are supported. Everything is well documented in Cisco DOC site, with a lot of deployment scenarios as well in others sites around the web. Technically it is incontestable.

How has it helped my organization?

Solved most communications needs and trouble scenarios.

What needs improvement?

I cannot see any, maybe more new technologies that we unknown.

For eight years and counting.

A lot, but the majority is due to vendor incompatibility with others and errors in deployment.

None.

It dependent of the scenario and technical use and needs.

Very good.

Very Good.

Yes, it depends of the customer's budget and management directions.

Very easy in all the ways.

In-house one.

It is can be very expensive and licensing complex.

Yes, Juniper and Brocade solutions.

Infrastructure Connectivity Engineer at Reputable Service Company
Unlike the legacy fixed IOS, it has a modular IOS form. However, it's expensive and needs to be made more affordable for SMEs.

Valuable Features:

It's got fantastic throughput which meets most of the network Gbps/Tbps data throughput in Next-Generation Networks (NGN) that are in use in today's industry.

Improvements to My Organization:

• Higher switching capacity
  • Feature-rich for almost all requirements
  • Modular IOS form, unlike the legacy fixed IOS which is prone to single point of crash for all services and features on it.

Room for Improvement:

Cost is very expensive, it needs to be reviewed for affordability by SMEs. They are on the high side for some SMEs who are willing to deploy high standard IT solution powered by Cisco but most of the time, they are not able to afford Cisco SME products.

ICT Manager at a aerospace/defense firm
It's easy to deploy if you know what you are doing, but if you want to improve, you have to upgrade the hardware.

What is most valuable?

SIP and MGCP - the router is a voice gateway router which terminates all calls to and from the PSTN.

How has it helped my organization?

Automatic calls routing depending on certain conditions such as dialled digits and received calls. We can automatically select which telecom provider to use for certain calls.

What needs improvement?

Nothing that I can think of. If you want to improve, you have the choice to upgrade the hardware.

I've used it for four years.

No issues encountered.

It's been very stable since deployment.

No scalability issues.

Excellent customer service.

I never had an issue yet with this product which required TAC intervention but from my previous experience Cisco TAC support is the best.

We were using the old Telco PABX and had to switch over to VoIP because it was irrelevant and incompatible.

It's easy to deploy if you know what you are doing, and have a proper migration plan.

It was an in-house deployment.

It's high.

It's worth the price you pay.

What other advice do I have?

It's best for branch office deployment.

Network Engineer & Web Developer at OneTexh
Huawei is unable to achieve Cisco's level of quality
The wireless router is probably the most important part of our daily life for network configuration. It is the main door to connect to the Internet, and then share the network or WI-Fi signal for all connected devices. Director for, as well as file sharing, voice over IP, remote access and other services, according to the VPN. The router is functioning normally 24-7. There are thousands of data packets to pass through every day, and is expected to run smoothly. Paradoxically, it is also a unit of less interest to most people. In fact, it has been observed that when not working properly, Router which is not only fast but feature rich is also very important to have a reliable option. In my opinion, Cisco’s enterprise products contains important features like WAN ports, LAN ports,…

In my opinion, Cisco’s enterprise products contains important features like WAN ports, LAN ports, Integrated Service Router (ISR) capability which perform multimedia streamlines, transforms service delivery for cloud and cell phone device connectivity. Another feature of the Cisco enterprise Router is that all the ISR routers have Cisco proprietary protocol IGRP , EIGRP (the popular Cisco’s protocols) and Cisco discovery protocol . Wireless enterprise Router provides security in four forms like WPA2, WPA2-Enterprise, WPA-Enterprise, WPA which ensures better security through 128 bit encryption (up to 256 bit encryption is possible). From an administration point of view, I feel that it's easy for the Admin. To configure a router through its CLI interface. Now a day all he latest version of Cisco handles IPV6 integration and usage.
Counterparts of Cisco are the juniper and Huawei which have no any specialized proprietary protocols which still cause them to lay down in front of Cisco’s routers. Huawei introduces many router rich in feature in low price but still it is unable to achieve that level of quality. The router is simple to install, setup and maintain , friendly and top notch GUI to configure through both web base or CLI base platforms.
Disadvantage
I didn’t find any disadvantage except the energy utilization and power consumption which has been compensated in new handy versions of Routers . Also the Cisco proprietary protocols (EIGRP, IGRP and CDP) can best be utilized with the Cisco’s router only.

it_user1143
Network Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Cisco 2811 Router provides rock solid performance for small to medium sized enterprise networks

Valuable Features:

Cisco 2811 has the capability of providing several high-quality simultaneous services at wire speeds up to multiple T1/E1/xDSL links.Four high-speed WAN Interface Card Slots provide excessive density.Security features consist of on-board encryption, Intrusion Prevention, as well as stateful inspection, and up to 1500 VPN tunnels with AIM-EPII-PLUS Module.Two Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports with an option of layer 2 switching with POE support.Analog and digital voice call support is also available.

Room for Improvement:

Works great never had any problem.

Other Advice:

Cisco 2800 series provides fast excellent delivery of multiple simultaneous services. It is comprised of four new platforms: Cisco 2801, 2811, 2821, and 2851 Integrated Services Routers that are designed to meet the IP communication requirements of small to medium sized organizations and enterprise branch offices. The 2800 series also features secure network connectivity for data, voice, and video.
Infrastructure Expert at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Cisco 890 Series Integrated Services Routers are designed to deliver secure broadband, Metro Ethernet, wireless LAN connectivity, and business continuity for enterprise small branch offices.

Valuable Features:

High performance for secure broadband and Metro Ethernet access, Fast Ethernet and ISDN Basic Rate Interface (BRI) ,Secure 802.11a/g/n access point, which offers dual-band radios for mobility, and supports Cisco Unified WLAN architectures,Firewall,Site-to-site remote-access and dynamic VPN services: IP Security (IPsec) VPNs, Group Encrypted Transport VPN [GET VPN] with onboard acceleration, and Secure Sockets Layer [SSLVPN],Intrusion prevention system (IPS),An 8-port 10/100 Fast Ethernet managed switch with VLAN support and 4-port support for Power over Ethernet (PoE) ,One 1000 BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet and One 10/100 BASE-T Fast Ethernet WAN port.It has the cisco software that help in configuration.

Room for Improvement:

To configure them one need to have skills and knowledge,If the router gets a fault its very hard to repair.Its expensive to purchase compared to other companies routers.
it_user1083
Manager of Operations at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Cisco enterprise routers are leading the router market today with some of its invincible features, but lack features like CLI interface set up.

Valuable Features:

Cisco is probably leading the market with its excellent range of enterprise routers, for those who are probably confused when choosing an appropriate one for an enterprise network. Routers with excellent speed (40 GBPS, 720 GBPS) and with features like IPSEC, Firewall, VPN etc., Cisco enterprise routers are available with various price and features, should one find it suitable for use. WiFi features are also available with these routers. Cisco Linksys routers are affordable for small enterprise networks and worth purchasing. All of these routers can be utilized with cloud. Most of these routers have a built in USB 2.0 port for printer connectivity and for shared storage. These routers also have additional security features like 802.1. Easy web interface setup facility has made these routers more approachable.

Room for Improvement:

Some of the enterprise routers, like the Cisco 7600 series routers, are costly and only large enterprises can afford them. An additional console logging facility does not come with some of these routers. Web based applications are more vulnerable than CLI interfaced console. Console logging by using CLI interface, like Putty, is desirable.

Other Advice:

Cisco products always give some edge over other brands available in the market. Its easy to set up features and durability attracts more customers world wide. Cisco's wide range of operation domain is also a reason for it being in one of the topmost IT product manufacturing companies. Be it setting up of secure remote VPNs, providing security features like IPSEC, or setting up a robust firewall, Cisco enterprise routers are remarkable.
it_user1065
Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
Cisco Enterprise Router is the undisputed king in routing TCP/IP networks

Valuable Features:

A few things which I love about this product: 1) Service virtualization ability 2) High performance WAN services 3) Cisco cloud connected solutions 4) Higher QoS for video, voice traffic 5) Reduction in total network operation cost through nV technology. 6) Inbuilt security features for IPsec, VPN, tunneling, MAC etc.

Room for Improvement:

Few cons which can be improved on: 1) Pricing structure when it comes to Borderless Networks and PIX firewall routers 2) WAN integration can be made easier 3) Integrated VPN not present in all series

Other Advice:

Cisco has remarkably been the king in the networking and information technology stream till date. Cisco's routing technology has been a class apart from its competitors for its innovations including, RIP, BGP, CDP, IGRP or EIGRP. With the start of Cisco Borderless Networks for growing routing enterprise needs, Cisco routers continuously strive hard to deliver unmatched performance in the cloud computing and virtualization platforms.