Devanand PR
IT Support Executive at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Stable, easy to use, and has the ability to scale

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "The user interface, the UI, could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution like a normal wired network. We use it in the area before you connect it to outer networks using the firewall. Our inner network is managed by switches. All the wired connections come to those switches. We can do internal networking on the switches such as VLANs and all of those things. We use it for basic switching purpose.

How has it helped my organization?

Yes, it has improved.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

The product is quite stable, which is one of its main selling points. The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

I don't really have a complaint about the features that the solution has.

It can be a bit expensive, however, it's not as expensive as Meraki switches.

The user interface, the UI, could be better.

Going command mode to make hardcore changes to the config. It's not so futuristic environment for configuration purposes.

While you can scale the solution, it can get expensive.

We've been using the solution for quite a while now. We've used them for at least four or five years at this point.

The solution is extremely stable. We never have issues with it. It doesn't have any underlying issues and is quite reliable.

While the solution can scale, it's a costly endeavor. Scaling definitely will cost an organization more money.

We have about 60 or 70 users of the product within our organization.

While we've occasionally had issues with the solution, we've never actually reached out to technical support. Therefore I can't speak to their responsiveness or knowledgability.

We've always used Ciscos switches of one kind or another. We've never used another brand. We're currently planning to change to Cisco Meraki switches. We haven't yet configured them, however. We're going to use it with a Palo Alto Firewall.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was extremely straightforward. That said, our setup required a very minimal configuration, and therefore it didn't take up much time. The deployment took maybe half an hour or so.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need help from consultants or integrators.

While normal switches are not too expensive, Meraki switches are pricier.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users. We don't have any business relationship with Cisco.

It's my understanding that we are not using the latest version of the switches.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been largely pretty satisfied with the solution.

Hossam Ismail
Expert Network Consultant at a consumer goods company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Flexible with good configuration capabilities but too expensive

• "Cisco as a whole is flexible."
  • "Cisco products are expensive compared to any other solution. Now, there are many competitors that give the same level of services - such as Juniper or Aruba."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our data center and edge switches. Like a lot of companies, we use (in the data center) core switches on Layer 3, and (on the edge) switches in Layer 2.

What is most valuable?

Cisco as a whole is flexible.

The solution can be configured to our specifications.

The solution allows you to monitor CPU utilization and memory usage.

What needs improvement?

You can only configure both switches and routers via the command-line. They should work to take on the newer HP and Aruba approach where you can configure from a URL or command line.

It could be useful if they developed the GUI interface to enable us to configure all features such as VLANs, port assignment, routing, DSP, through the GUI. That would make it easier for beginners.

Cisco products are expensive compared to any other solution. Now, there are many competitors that give the same level of services - such as Juniper or Aruba.

We've been using this solution for about eight years. It's been a long time.

The solution is quite stable. Cisco offers very reliable products. All of their hardware is quite reliable.

The solution is quite scalable. However, the pricing is a concern. If I need to add switches, I tend to look at cheaper options like Juniper or HP.

In my organization, there were about 150 switches or more. That covered about 4,000 users and covered both wireless and LAN, wired and wireless.

We may not continue to use it, as it is expensive and there are alternatives.

There are many vendors in Egypt. Therefore, we can always find someone who can help us with technical support.

On top of that, we've found the website to be quite good in terms of finding documentation to help with troubleshooting.

We also use Aruba switches. I've used HP in the past as well.

Depending on the project for configuration, and considering deploying only one switch at a time, it may take about five minutes to handle one switch. Aruba, in contrast, might take ten minutes.

We had about four people who handled the deployment.

The pricing of the solution is quite high. There are lots of comparable products out there that are nowhere near the cost.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and end-users.

We use Cisco switches at Layer 2 and Layer 3.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend Cisco to other organizations. After using HP, I found that they had just as good of a product with more features and better pricing.

In general, I would rate this product at a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DB
Pre Sales Engineer at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
A stable and scalable solution with great VMA architecture

• "I think the VMA architecture is valuable."
  • "If Cisco Ethernet Switches can work both on-prem and in the cloud, it would be an advantage."

What is our primary use case?

How we use Cisco Ethernet Switches depends on the customer's requirements. We just connected Alliance switches with trans 2/4 switches in our office, and we have deployed it as a static configuration. We are not planning any other protocol for the permission and the configuration we aren't using. But for our customers, we go with the VMA architecture, networking, and Cloud Meraki and Experian from Cisco.

What is most valuable?

I think the VMA architecture is valuable.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any issues on the technical aspects, but on the business side of things, I see that almost all the Catalyst and high-grade switches are now required to have a VMA license. Sometimes businesses may not require those licenses because they are just using them as the third street.

It's a business challenge which we're facing in the Asian countries. Customers don't require a VMA environment at the moment, but it's essential to purchase a VMA license for some of the switches. It's a challenge that we're facing during sales or presales because when it comes to the competition like Cisco SSL and the others, they don't have that kind of a restriction.

If I would like to purchase a new switch, it can be a higher-end switch like a Chassis switch or a basic L2 or L3 switch—any switch where we can purchase a support bundle and install and use it. But with the VMA  license, we need to activate the license, or the Ethernet switch will not perform. It won't work.

If Cisco Ethernet Switches can work both on-prem and in the cloud, it would be an advantage. Other vendors are already offering this option. It would be a great added advantage to use the same switch in standalone mode, as a local MM or VMA, and for cloud control.

I have been working with Cisco Ethernet Switches for about 12 years.

In my experience, Cisco Ethernet Switches are stable.

In my experience, Cisco Ethernet Switches are scalable.

Cisco Ethernet Switches come with good technical support. But sometimes we get engineers who aren't as knowledgeable, but we can speak to them and fix a problem within a couple of hours.

The initial setup of Cisco Ethernet Switches is very straightforward in my experience.
It's quite easy. But I think it depends on the knowledge and experience of the engineer.

We don't conduct any annual maintenance, but it's probably best to do it annually.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco Ethernet Switches to others.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Ethernet Switches a ten.

Hybrid Cloud
DC
ICT Manager/Systems Administrator at a university with 201-500 employees
Easy to setup and easy to use with good stability

• "The installation is very straightforward."
  • "Cisco could definitely work on delivering improved pricing to its customers."

What is most valuable?

We find that, mainly, stability is the solution's most valuable aspect. We normally don't have problems with the Cisco Switches.

The ease of use is also great. It's very easy to work with and navigate.

The installation is very straightforward. You can likely handle it in-house.

The scalability is very good.

We've used technical support in the past and they've been very helpful.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is always an issue when you compare Cisco to other vendors. Cisco could definitely work on delivering improved pricing to its customers.

I've been using the solution for about ten years now. It's been about a decade. We've used it for a while.

The stability is great. Cisco is very reliable and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution scales well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so with ease.

We have about 1,300 users on the product currently.

You can raise a ticket via the solution's technical support. I have done that before. I've found them to be very good. They are helpful and responsive in general.

I've worked with other networking equipment such as Aruba, Ruckus, Huawei, and even MikroTik.

We have found the initial setup to be very easy and very straightforward. It's not too complex or overly difficult. A company shouldn't have any issues handling the process. Its implementation is quick as well. It is just a couple of minutes for the initial configuration of the circuit.

We have a team of four that can handle any deployment or maintenance tasks. They are mainly systems admins and engineers.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need the assistance of an integrator or consultant at all.

The product is not cheap. It's quite expensive when you look at it as compared to other options on the market.

You have to pay for smart account licensing when you use this product.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users. I personally do not have a business relationship with Cisco.

Currently, I'm running an iteration of Cisco IOS 15.0 on 2960 Switches.

In general, we've been quite happy with the solution and I'd rate it at a nine out of ten overall.

I'd recommend the solution to other users. It's a very good product, however, sometimes, it can be expensive.

YF
sTAM at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with good customer support and global distribution

• "The product offers very good customer support. It's likely the best in the industry."
  • "The solution really should offer better pricing. It would help them stay competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in our data center or campus connectivity. We're using bridges to connect end-user devices and terminals.

What is most valuable?

The solution comes from a solid company that always offers good quality products. It's a real market leader in this area and can provide end-to-end solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not too hard.

The product offers very good customer support. It's likely the best in the industry.

There is very good distribution around the globe.

The products are very reliable.

A single switch is very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Cisco doesn't do everything 100% perfect. There are competitors that have developed simpler and cheaper options, for example. The solution really should offer better pricing. It would help them stay competitive.

The product is a bit difficult to manage as there's a different management system now.

The network management system could be improved.

I've worked with the solution for 25 years now. I've used it for decades. I have a wealth of experience with this product.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is good.

The product scales quite well. It works for any size organization. A company can also expand it out if they need to.

We have around 2,500 customers and half of them use Cisco.

Technical support is excellent. It's the best in the industry.

As an implementor, I've worked with a variety of solutions, including Aruba, Mellanox, Juniper, Ruckus, and more. I've worked with most of the vendors in the industry.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's pretty straightforward.

The deployment depends. It can take from a couple of minutes to a couple of months. It depends on the project and it depends on the size of the network.

How many people you need for the deployment depends on the size of the job. Some companies have their own on-site engineers.

The solution does not come cheap. It's quite pricey.

You do need a license in order to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I work with the latest version of the solution. I'm an implementor and my company is a Cisco Gold partner.

I would recommend the solution to others. I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

MH
Network Admin at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
Deliver performance and security

• "These switches are both stable and scalable."
  • "It would be nice if they had higher wattage for PoE+."

What is our primary use case?

We use these switches to improve client connections.

We're a manufacturing facility — we have POCs and terminals. We have maybe 90 to 100 users with desk phones, and roughly 20 printers.

We don't perform maintenance ourselves. A third-party company handles the maintenance. We also outsource other vendors to help us with some complex configurations that we've had implemented.

What is most valuable?

I would like to have a way to access a graphical web interface, but they either have an outdated iOS or they don't work well with Flash. They don't work well or show us enough details. They don't show errors or bandwidth on particular reports.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if there were optional models, but the models that we bought don't have a redundant power supply. It would be nice if they had higher wattage for PoE+.

It would also be nice if they didn't have plastic faceplates that break easily.

I have been working with Cisco Ethernet Switches for over 13 years.

These switches are both stable and scalable.

Cisco's technical support is usually quite helpful.

The initial setup is not complex, but it's not easy either. I know what to do with Cisco switches, but we had one FortiGate switch that we used to connect our firewalls which I liked because it was easy to set up and had a nice interface.

Deployment was easy. I just took it out of the box and configured it. Deployment only took a few hours. I deployed them myself.

We haven't seen any gains as of yet.

I am interested in switching over to Fortinet FortiSwitches. I've been checking them out, comparing the price, features, and compatibility compared to Cisco Ethernet Switches. It may be a mixed environment for a while.

We're looking for a better graphical interface and price.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to look at Fortinet. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Ethernet Switches a rating of eight.

Silju Pillai
Co-Founder, Architect at Espina IT
Reliable, with a good reputation, easy to setup, and good support

• "Cisco's support is number one in the world."
  • "The price could be improved by being reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators. We deal with Cisco solutions for our customers in data centers, enterprise networks, and Service Cloud networks.

What is most valuable?

Cisco's support is number one in the world.

It is very stable.

As a company, they have a very good reputation. They invest a lot in research, and they come up with new solutions, new technologies, and new products.

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved by being reduced.

The new software has been released in Cisco Switches, which is meeting with the market's demands. Earlier they used to have many different models.

This solution is still lacking in some areas.

I have been working with Cisco Ethernet Switches since 2000. Twenty years now.

Within the twenty years, we have had many issues. There could be a data error, there could be a software bug or hardware failure. It happens, it's a machine.

Cisco's technical support is very good.

The initial setup is very easy. It's not complex.

They have a very good website. If you get stuck, you can go to the website to get a solution. That's the beauty of Cisco products, everything is available on the website.

The price is a bit on the high side.

Normally what they do is go case by case and give discounts based on the customer's budget, and on the competition.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is interested in using switches, I would definitely recommend Cisco. They are pioneers in the industry and you can find Cisco engineers anywhere.

Nowadays, everything is fine. They are good, and they move forward with the latest technologies. They are always ahead of their competitors. I feel that now they are on the right track and I don't see any issues.

Customers always choose Cisco.

I would rate Cisco Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

CR
IT Manager at a renewables & environment company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good performance and simplifies operations through minimal maintenance

• "The most valuable feature is the performance."
  • "Cisco needs to include new features to attract new customers."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Ethernet Switches are being used as part of our new data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps us simplify operations through minimal maintenance and ease of patching.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance.

The Cisco Feature Navigator is a web-based application that enables you to quickly match Cisco IOS, IOS XE, IOS XR, NX-OS, and CatOS software releases to features. This is available to all Cisco.com users, both registered and non-registered guests.

What needs improvement?

Cisco needs to include new features to attract new customers.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet solutions for the last 20 years.

This solution is stable enough that it will not create problems in everyday usage.

This system can accommodate expansion without hampering the existing workflow and ensure an increase in output or efficiency.

Customer service is good. They are responsive within the time frame and resolve our issues.

I haven't used a different solution. We did the upgrade as part of the lifecycle when the previous equipment became end-of-life. It was time for the investment. At the same time, we were building out new data centers.

The setup was straightforward and it is easy to deploy.

We have implemented with the help of a vendor and we have an in-house team that is taking care of maintenance.

ROI is doubled with the solution.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I will advise others to buy without any hesitation, as the product quality and deliverables are far more than others without comparing cost. This solution is the best.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Cisco Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.