NW
Head of Technical at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Adds value to virtual workloads, the stability is good, and competitively priced

• "You can tap into all of the features for your virtual workload environment."
  • "Cisco has a lot of propriety protocols compared to other products, such as Arista Networks."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Ethernet Switches to improve the latency in the Data Center.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Switches serve their purpose. They add value to the virtual workload. You can tap into all of the features for your virtual workload environment.

What needs improvement?

Cisco has a lot of propriety protocols compared to other products, such as Arista Networks.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for a couple of years.

We are using the latest version.

This is a stable product. I have no issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution. Our end users are our customers. We have thousands of people using these switches that we have implemented.

Technical support is good.

The installation was straightforward.

One day is not enough for the configuration. It takes time, and there is a plan. You have to speak with the customer to see what they want and need in their environment.

Planning takes a couple of days, but once you know what you are doing, it only takes a couple of hours.

We have a team of 30 to 40 to deploy and maintain this solution.

It tends to be a bit pricey, but competitive. When you compare with other products, they are more or less the same price.

What other advice do I have?

I have not had any bad experiences with Cisco.

We have plans to continue using this solution. I would recommend it to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate Cisco Ethernet Switches an eight out of ten.

IS
Technical Manager at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Good monitoring and management features, but needs better integration with third-party products

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco Ethernet Switches are one of the products that we implement for our customers. We also use them internally, and they make up the backbone of our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are network monitoring and management. Depending on the model, the switch might have its own firewall or router.

What needs improvement?

Integration with third-party products could be improved.

I have been working with Cisco Ethernet Switches for fifteen years, and have been reselling them for about six.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are network monitoring and management.

Depending on the model, the switch might have its own firewall or router.

What needs improvement?

Integration with third-party products could be improved.

We have had no complaints about the stability of Cisco products. Once you install the switch, it just keeps running with little maintenance. Occasionally, we see a firmware update.

For some of the higher-end switches, starting at the 6500 series, we need assistance from Cisco. For the 4000 series and below, we can manage them ourselves.

The initial setup is very straightforward. We have not had any complications.

They are essentially plug-and-play, where you turn the power on and it will be working in a few seconds. Beyond this, if different configurations are needed to satisfy the user's requirements then it takes a lot of time. That said, the entire deployment will only take a few hours or a day at the most.

We are happy with the pricing from Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good product and definitely one that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,089 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SD
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good support, stable, and several models support organizations of different sizes

• "This product is widely available and the warranty is very good."
  • "The pricing should be reduced so that they are more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Cisco Ethernet Switch is a network infrastructure product that we implement for our clients. The use case depends on their requirements but it is used for network access. We also use them for our network.

What is most valuable?

This product is widely available and the warranty is very good.

There should not be any challenges with configuration or maintenance.

They have an internal monitoring system.

What needs improvement?

The pricing should be reduced so that they are more competitive.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for 15 years.

This product is very stable and I don't think that we've had any failures.

We had trouble with the hardware one time but Cisco replaced it.

Scalability varies from model to model. We have a particular model that was sized according to our use case and requirements. In general, they are very scalable.

We have good support from Cisco. They have a nice team and when it comes to service, they have a defined timeline. We haven't face any issues in terms of service.

Cisco now has more products that are priced for small businesses, so they do have some cheaper models.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I am happy with this product and I don't have any suggestions for improvements to features at this time. I think that they have the best product available.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

TM
Telecommunication Team Leader at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
A familiar, stable, and scalable solution with all required functions

• "I know this solution for many years. I know the GUI and commands, and they are useful for me. I have all the functions that I want."
  • "Cisco can improve its stability for the BGP protocol. It is not stable while recalculating the BGP table. Its price should also be improved. It is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data centers and for connecting computers in a local network.

What is most valuable?

I know this solution for many years. I know the GUI and commands, and they are useful for me. I have all the functions that I want.

What needs improvement?

Cisco can improve its stability for the BGP protocol. It is not stable while recalculating the BGP table.

Its price should also be improved. It is very expensive.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for 20 years.

It is stable in most cases. It is not stable while recalculating the BGP table.

It is scalable. I don't have any problem with its scalability.

We have 500 people in my company. They don't directly work on these devices. I configure these devices, and they connect through these devices.

I have a good opinion about Cisco support. I get local support from a company in Poland. If they are not able to resolve my problem, they send it to Cisco, and then Cisco resolves my problem. I don't have direct contact with Cisco support.

The initial setup is easy for me.

Its price is very high, but it is a good device. Cisco must work on its price. Other solutions provide a better price for similar functionalities.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a very good solution.

I would rate Cisco Ethernet Switches a nine out of ten.

Deepak  Khemani
Information Technology Security Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Can be easily configured and used at data centers and at the enterprise level

• "It is easy to configure and troubleshoot."
  • "Up to a certain network size, it is easy to scale, but after that, it becomes difficult."

What is most valuable?

I have found the ease of configuration and troubleshooting, compared to those with other solutions, to be the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The number of bugs that come up on Cisco Ethernet Switches can be reduced, and the stability can be improved, in particular with the recent iOS.

The scalability can be improved as well. Up to a certain network size, it is easy to scale, but after that, it becomes difficult.

I've been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for almost 12 years.

The stability of the recent iOS is not good, and every now and then, there are bugs.

The scalability is medium, that is, it's neither hard nor easy to scale.

Specifically, it is easy to scale up to a certain network size, but it becomes difficult beyond that.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup is easy, and the whole switching fabric takes a lot less time to configure and be made ready for deployment.

The price of this solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Ethernet Switches can be easily used at data centers and also at the enterprise level. However, if you're looking for a solution for a large scale deployment or for a large scale data center, then you should probably consider a different solution.

I would rate Cisco Ethernet Switches at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Hybrid Cloud
MN
Owner at it logic
Easy to install and stability is perfect

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco Ethernet Switches are one of the products that we offer for our customers. With Cisco, there are two areas. There are gigabit switches, both managed and unmanaged, and there are 100 Mbps switches. Generally, the Cisco switches available in India are L2 or L3. The L2 switch is mainly used for internet connectivity, for internet ISP users.

What needs improvement?

Technical support in India needs to be improved.

The stability is 100%. It's the number-one product in this regard. We plan to continue selling it in the future.

Our customers have between 2,000 and 2,500 users.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

Technical support in India needs to be improved.

Our customers have between 2,000 and 2,500 users.

I'm not sure about other parts of the world, but in India, there is a problem with technical support for Cisco. There needs to be local support and it should be faster. At this time, in India, they give only remote support.

Cisco switch installation is very easy and it takes approximately half an hour to deploy.

This is a very expensive product. Without a license, part of the switch will not function.

In some of the latest switches, the warranty is not included in the pricing and we have to purchase it separately.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product that is very stable and I recommend it, but it's a costly switch.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

SK
IT Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Ethernet switches that are highly user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VLAN tagging and VLAN port enabling.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. It should be affordable for any organization.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for more than eight years.

I have never faced any issues with stability.

The initial setup isn't straightforward. It depends on how knowledgeable you are. But Cisco will support us whenever we buy products. There's product documentation that needs to be followed. It took hardly 15 minutes to set up and deploy. However, the time can be extended if you want to configure different…

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VLAN tagging and VLAN port enabling.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. It should be affordable for any organization.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for more than eight years.

I have never faced any issues with stability.

However, the time can be extended if you want to configure different things. If you want to add VLANs, then it will take time. We have to decide on what we have to do before doing it. Based on that, the timeline will really differ. We have a tiny team at my organization, just two others working with me.

I've always reached out to my consultant to support me whenever we buy a new switch. If they share some knowledge documents, I can look into that, and I can do it myself.

Cisco is an industry leader, but the price is very high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to potential users, but it depends on their requirements.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Ethernet Switches an eight.

Varun Malhotra
Chairman Infrastructure & Application Development Services at atnis
Reseller
Good material available on their website enables an easy setup

What needs improvement?

Cisco is now competing with companies that are putting out cheaper switches so the price could be something that could be improved upon. However, if you want the best in the industry then you need to pay for it. Cisco could also open the API up to work closely with other systems.

We have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for eighteen years. We only deal with Cisco switches.

What needs improvement?

It is much easier and faster to get to the Cisco support, which is good. Secondly, Cisco is the world leader in these systems. The expertise they have is very good compared to others. We can trust Cisco from a technical perspective. For example, if you are buying a car you would not buy from a company that will not give you support. Also, you wouldn't buy a car from a company that is not proven in the industry. These are two things that should be taken into consideration while you are looking at any product. Then you should get into technical features.

Cisco has very good material available on their website to read and to do yourself. This makes the initial setup of these switches very easy.

We handle all of the setup ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend Cisco Ethernet Switches if you have the budget for it. I would rate Cisco switches at a ten on a scale of ten.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Cisco Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.