CP
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
High quality product with great VPC features and good stability

• "The quality, like all Cisco solutions, is very high. The fact that it's Cisco is one of the reasons we chose to use it."
  • "Cisco has a licensing procedure that is very complicated and it changes every six months."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution on our equipment.

What is most valuable?

The VPC feature is the solution's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for at least ten years.

The solution is very stable.

Scaling and upgrading the solution is easy. Our group has about 500 employees and all of them use Cisco and its switches.

Technical support is okay, but they do need to respond quicker to tickets.

I have personally previously used Dell, which is very unstable in comparison to Cisco. You must review all documents and if you don't correctly do this, you must open a ticket. It takes  a few days for a simple question about the licenses to get answered. It can be a very frustrating process and should be simplified.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I handled the implementation myself.

The cost of licensing is very expensive, especially if you compare it to Fortigate.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution. It has all the features we need included within it.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Deepak  Khemani
Information Technology Security Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Can be easily configured and used at data centers and at the enterprise level

• "It is easy to configure and troubleshoot."
  • "Up to a certain network size, it is easy to scale, but after that, it becomes difficult."

What is most valuable?

I have found the ease of configuration and troubleshooting, compared to those with other solutions, to be the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The number of bugs that come up on Cisco Ethernet Switches can be reduced, and the stability can be improved, in particular with the recent iOS.

The scalability can be improved as well. Up to a certain network size, it is easy to scale, but after that, it becomes difficult.

I've been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for almost 12 years.

The stability of the recent iOS is not good, and every now and then, there are bugs.

The scalability is medium, that is, it's neither hard nor easy to scale.

Specifically, it is easy to scale up to a certain network size, but it becomes difficult beyond that.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup is easy, and the whole switching fabric takes a lot less time to configure and be made ready for deployment.

The price of this solution is fair.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Ethernet Switches can be easily used at data centers and also at the enterprise level. However, if you're looking for a solution for a large scale deployment or for a large scale data center, then you should probably consider a different solution.

I would rate Cisco Ethernet Switches at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MN
Owner at it logic
Easy to install and stability is perfect

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco Ethernet Switches are one of the products that we offer for our customers. With Cisco, there are two areas. There are gigabit switches, both managed and unmanaged, and there are 100 Mbps switches. Generally, the Cisco switches available in India are L2 or L3. The L2 switch is mainly used for internet connectivity, for internet ISP users.

What needs improvement?

Technical support in India needs to be improved.

The stability is 100%. It's the number-one product in this regard. We plan to continue selling it in the future.

Our customers have between 2,000 and 2,500 users.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

Technical support in India needs to be improved.

Our customers have between 2,000 and 2,500 users.

I'm not sure about other parts of the world, but in India, there is a problem with technical support for Cisco. There needs to be local support and it should be faster. At this time, in India, they give only remote support.

Cisco switch installation is very easy and it takes approximately half an hour to deploy.

This is a very expensive product. Without a license, part of the switch will not function.

In some of the latest switches, the warranty is not included in the pricing and we have to purchase it separately.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product that is very stable and I recommend it, but it's a costly switch.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

SK
IT Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Ethernet switches that are highly user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VLAN tagging and VLAN port enabling.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. It should be affordable for any organization.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for more than eight years.

I have never faced any issues with stability.

The initial setup isn't straightforward. It depends on how knowledgeable you are. But Cisco will support us whenever we buy products. There's product documentation that needs to be followed. It took hardly 15 minutes to set up and deploy. However, the time can be extended if you want to configure different…

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VLAN tagging and VLAN port enabling.

What is most valuable?

I like that it's easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. It should be affordable for any organization.

I have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for more than eight years.

I have never faced any issues with stability.

However, the time can be extended if you want to configure different things. If you want to add VLANs, then it will take time. We have to decide on what we have to do before doing it. Based on that, the timeline will really differ. We have a tiny team at my organization, just two others working with me.

I've always reached out to my consultant to support me whenever we buy a new switch. If they share some knowledge documents, I can look into that, and I can do it myself.

Cisco is an industry leader, but the price is very high.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to potential users, but it depends on their requirements.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Ethernet Switches an eight.

Varun Malhotra
Chairman Infrastructure & Application Development Services at atnis
Reseller
Good material available on their website enables an easy setup

What needs improvement?

Cisco is now competing with companies that are putting out cheaper switches so the price could be something that could be improved upon. However, if you want the best in the industry then you need to pay for it. Cisco could also open the API up to work closely with other systems.

We have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for eighteen years. We only deal with Cisco switches.

What needs improvement?

It is much easier and faster to get to the Cisco support, which is good. Secondly, Cisco is the world leader in these systems. The expertise they have is very good compared to others. We can trust Cisco from a technical perspective. For example, if you are buying a car you would not buy from a company that will not give you support. Also, you wouldn't buy a car from a company that is not proven in the industry. These are two things that should be taken into consideration while you are looking at any product. Then you should get into technical features.

Cisco has very good material available on their website to read and to do yourself. This makes the initial setup of these switches very easy.

We handle all of the setup ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend Cisco Ethernet Switches if you have the budget for it. I would rate Cisco switches at a ten on a scale of ten.

Igor Pigariev
Cyber Security Consultant at Ukroboronprom
Easy to use with perfect technical support

• "The features that I have found most valuable are that it is easy to use and it has good technical support."
  • "It would be good for Cisco to provide certification to our engineers for our IT infrastructure. Basically to train and certify our engineers."

What is our primary use case?

We built all our ground network on Cisco Switches.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are that it is easy to use and it has good technical support.

We cooperate with local Cisco teams here in the Ukraine. They help us to develop our system and support it.

What needs improvement?

It would be good for Cisco to provide certification to our engineers for our IT infrastructure. Basically to train and certify our engineers.

In the next release I would like to see more training and documentations for our engineers.

We have been using Cisco Ethernet Switches for about five years.

Cisco Switches is a stable product.

Cisco Switches are scalable.

We have 300 users using it and 5 guys from the IT department that support our network.

They are basically all engineers and some programmers.

Cisco's technical support is perfect. There is no need to improve anything there.

If we have problems with the setup, we ask the local Cisco team and they help us. We have good cooperation with the local team.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Switches are very good. They are interoperable with Microsoft solutions, by the way.

On a scale from one to 10, I would rate Cisco Switches about a nine.

I would surely recommend Cisco Switches for other users who want to start using it.

AR
VP of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable and stable with a variety of models to choose from

What is our primary use case?

We are using the solution for LAN routing in both manufacturing industries and IT sectors. We use a variety of different models of the solution. We have used the 4000, 9000, 9200, and 9400 Series switches. Currently, we are deploying the 9000 Series to customers at data centers and when it comes to core switches at data centers we are using the 9400 model.

What needs improvement?

There are some GUI configuration improvements that they can implement in the future for the product models.

I have been using the solution for over forteen years.

We have found the solution to be stable.

The solution is…

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for over forteen years.

We have found the solution to be stable.

The solution is scalable. We have deployed more than 1000 switches to customers.

We provide support for the client.

We do the deployment of the solution using a team of approximately five people. The time it takes to do the deployment all depends on the client's requirements. The range of time it can take varies depending on the design and architecture involved.

There are different licensing based on the model of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We only deal with Cisco products, they are very good.

I rate Cisco Ethernet Switches a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
MD
Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very scalable and easy to deploy, but has bugs that caused the switch to reboot

• "It is very scalable."
  • "If we can have fewer bugs on our switches, that would be great. We had bugs that caused the switch to reboot. There is probably a problem with the software."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for user connectivity. We are using its latest version.

It is deployed on a public cloud and on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is very scalable.

What needs improvement?

If we can have fewer bugs on our switches, that would be great. We had bugs that caused the switch to reboot. There is probably a problem with the software.

Their technical support can be improved in terms of response time and overall efficiency.

I have been using this solution for about 20 years.

It is very scalable. We have about 8,000 users.

We use their technical support a lot. They are okay. There is definitely room for improvement in terms of response time and overall efficiency.

We didn't use any other solution.

For our setup here, it was pretty straightforward.

I pay a fixed price on it. I'm not the person on the pursing, so I don't really compare.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to shop around and maybe compare it with some of the other vendors such as Juniper or Arista.

I would rate Cisco Ethernet Switches a seven out of 10.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Cisco Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.