Cisco Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Ethernet Switches is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to NETGEAR Switches: Cisco Ethernet Switches vs NETGEAR Switches

What is Cisco Ethernet Switches?
Cisco Ethernet Switches scale to meet the needs of networks of all sizes. They are Secure, Reliable and Seamless.

Cisco Ethernet Switches is also known as Cisco Industrial Ethernet Switches.

Cisco Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cisco Ethernet Switches Customers
Linz AG
Cisco Ethernet Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "Pricing for this product is high but the cost is worth it if you can afford it."
  • "The last time I bought a 24-port switch, which was a while ago, I paid about five or six thousand Euros. In this part of the world, that's quite expensive for us."
  • "Price is a pain point for us. We've lost a lot of bids, and the reason has been that we majorly quoted Cisco devices. Some of our competitors quoted other devices like Ubiquity or Microchip. Some even quoted this Chinese product TP-Link, and they won the bid over us because we quoted Cisco. Meanwhile, the major reason why we quoted Cisco is reliability and stability from day one. They also last longer. The prices could be worked on so that they become more affordable. We had to deploy a city-wide WiFi network, and we were working in conjunction with Google. Because of the price, even Google recommended a product called Ruckus, so we used Ruckus over Cisco. Its price and license were the main reasons. You have to pay to renew the license every year. Even though you also renew the licenses for Ruckus, but they are much cheaper than Cisco. So, while I would recommend Cisco any time, the trouble remains with the pricing."
  • "This is an expensive solution, but you are paying for stability."

RI
Technical Project Manager at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
A versatile solution with stacking capability

What is our primary use case?

I have been using the newest line of Cisco switches, the 9300 series, for two or three years. We have two different models for deployment. One is the SDN deployment model, which has to do with Software-Defined Networking and is the more recent. The other is the traditional three-tier, via core access aggregation layer five switches with an Independent Architecture Designed environment or access layer switches where you just use them to connect users to a specific service. It depends on what the nature of the work would be and the scope of work. But generally, most traditional networks have… more »

• "One valuable feature is that you can string a number of switches together, and the fact that there are various methods to connect them, such as by stacking."
  • "Switches should be made stackable, even if they are not of the same model."

What other advice do I have?

What is happening in the industry is that they are separating two things that traditionally held back the growth of switches, which is the control plane aspect of the switch from the data point. What you're finding is that the newer generation of switches, you can control them with a different device separately from the switch itself. In terms of the improvements, the improvements that are going on right now, Software Defined Networking creates the basis for you to have switches that can scale, and can scale very well. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
SA
IT Operations Engineer at Infosysta
Provides stable security and configurable VLAN management

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco as a business switch on a small network of about 30 users. We use it for internet sharing, as centralized management for the network and active directories, as a domain controller, and for file sharing.

• "This is a great solution for network switching and security."
  • "Technical support for integrations with other network products is insufficient and should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is the better solution if someone is considering it and they are willing to pay for it. The product is expensive to buy. In my current position, the budget is not a problem. If other people are in a similar situation where they can afford Cisco, I recommend Cisco. If they do not have a big budget and they need to be more budget-minded, I can recommend the HP ProCurve (now HP Networking) and D-links (Ethernet Switches) as my first choice for less expensive options. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Cisco ethernet switches as an eight. It…
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,053 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ivan Manchev
Network Delivery Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable and scalable solution for all business sizes

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for ethernet switches. We mainly use switches and routers as edge distribution switches. Some of the plants have been with the big pharmaceutical company Aragon. We have also been with a North American company, and others. Most of their switches were Cisco in pharmaceutical company where I worked for 10 years. Some of the switches in the plants were used as a core. Many of them, especially in Bulgaria and in Europe, I installed myself. Others in America are responsible during the shift time for the configuration changes and so on. They are used in any level, as a Layer… more »

• "Cisco Ethernet Switches are great devices."
  • "We are less in the Cloud because the Cloud technologies didn't work so well. That happened in all of the companies where I've been engaged."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Ethernet Switches are appropriate for small and medium businesses. They also are large enough for our data centers which we had in Tel Aviv, Israel and in California. We had such big devices there. On a scale of one to ten, I would give Cisco Ethernet Switches a 10. I would advise others who are looking into implementing Cisco to buy and implement it.
MB
ICT Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good user interface and security but costs too much

What is our primary use case?

We have a few different buildings within our premises, and we typically use the Cisco switches as the core backbone of our LAN. They are connected with fiber. We use them for our network to handle security and connectivity mainly. Our core business is to sell beverages, so we're not your typical telecom or banking institution that would be a typical Cisco client.

• "The quality of service is one of the main reasons we use Cisco in our organization. It's quite high and very reliable. The switches also end up working for a long time, so there's less need to replace them as often as others. We have some switches in our company that has been running since 2006, for example. They are quite old, but they still work."
  • "The cost is very prohibitive both for us as well as other organizations. It's very expensive to buy Cisco switches. Among our colleagues, we find that we're not alone in thinking it's too high. Everyone's complaining about this."

What other advice do I have?

We mainly work with Cisco ethernet switches at our organization. Aside from the cost, the Cisco switches are quite stable and easy to use. If you have the money as an organization, I would highly recommend Cisco. We are just a customer of Cisco. We don't have a special relationship with the company in any way shape or form. I would rate the solution 8.5 out of ten. I would rate it higher, but the price is too high, in my opinion. It's quite good for me in terms of the usage I get out of it, but I find that I don't use other features that Cisco offers now.
Maurice Poor
Manager - Network Operating Center at BCN
The most stable and reliable switches that perform better than all other solutions out there

What is our primary use case?

We are a fiber-optic provider. We have a lot of switches from Cisco and some from Microchip. We have C3750E, which is one of the main Cisco Ethernet switches. All ports of this switch are fiber. We have a local Cisco partner here who is quite reliable, so we patronize that partner. They do everything on our behalf, especially the licenses.

• "What we love about the Cisco switches is that they are very reliable. You can deploy them and go to sleep, and you can be sure that nothing is going to go wrong. Our initial equipment was installed by a Chinese manufacturer named Fiberhome a couple of years ago. Their switches were called S engines. They worked, but some days, you just wake up, and the switch has popped up. It was a lot of crisis. Therefore, we are in the process of trying to take out all their switches and replace them with Cisco switches. We are getting good results in terms of reliability and even technical support."
  • "Cisco switches are good as they are, but it would be a major feature if they have built-in routers. Some of the Microchip switches have routers built in the same device. They have a router switch. For some of the sites, we deploy such switches because the client does not want a separate router and a separate switch. So, we go for a router switch with maybe 24 ports. Some of them are fiber, and some of them are ethernet. It would be a major improvement to what Cisco is already doing. Behind the scenes, a lot of scripting and stuff like this is happening. A lot of workload can be lifted if Cisco had a good GUI. If you look at Microchip switches, they have a good GUI in addition to the CLI."

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it, especially for people who are doing wide-scale deployments like campus networks or a city-wide network square. I would rate Cisco Ethernet Switches a ten out of ten. I don't see any product that performs better. We had a Chinese company coming in to do a bunch of presentations and stuff like that, but at the end of the day, those of us who are at the back doing the configurations understand that it is nothing closer to what Cisco offers.
PinchasAlbalya
Network Engineer at Ben Gurion University
Stable, easy to configure, and fast switching of layer-2

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our university campus network.

• "The layer-2 switching is very fast."
  • "I would like to see this solution automatically store multiple versions of the configuration file."

What other advice do I have?

We are looking forward to the 10-gigabit uplink port, which is an improvement that we have waited for. We expect to have this new module in one or two months. Cisco has a family of Small Business Switches called SG. For example, the SG300 model. This is a cheaper model, and although they are missing some protocols, they are very good. Out of our one thousand switches, we have about one hundred SG models. The price of these is lower than Juniper switches. I surely recommend this product, and the new Cisco line seems to be even stronger. There are improvements in terms of new modules and power…
Account Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Very stable, scales well, and has excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

We have them set up for customers, including SMB, Kindergarten through grade 12 schools, higher education organizations, and some enterprises. It's pretty much been used for everything except the federal government.

• "It's all-encompassing and can help you in all these different areas. If people realize that they want something that's going to work, that's pretty foolproof, then Cisco's always worth the investment."
  • "You do have to buy into the Cisco architecture to be able to use them."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise new users to work with a reseller that has a good history of working with Cisco and that can do a good game plan upfront with what your actual long-term goals and needs will be. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. The product is excellent, however, nothing is perfect, which is why I haven't rated it at a perfect ten. There are always ways to improve.
Phillip Peerman
Supervisor of IT Infrastructure & Cybersecurity at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
Has impressive reliability, I have not experienced a failure

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Ethernet Switches are the product line I have the most experience with and have been my go-to solution for many years with mid to large organizations over the years. They are still top contenders for environments that need layer 3 functionality in a switch. They have a product line that covers the entire spectrum of switching technology from the high-end Nexus products through the traditional enterprise catalyst models and all the way down to the small business solutions. They seem to have the market covered with a solution to meet any IT shop's needs.

• "Cisco Ethernet Switches have great enterprise features like Cisco DNA Assurance. Cisco DNA Assurance features advanced artificial intelligence and machine learning. Cisco AI Network Analytics, a capability within Cisco DNA Assurance, allows easy management of all devices and services, prioritizes and resolves network issues, and ensures a better user experience across the network."
  • "The typical areas of concern for Cisco Ethernet Switches are not technical but cost including support costs. I’ve never liked the fact that end users cannot download security patches without a support contract. I’ve had trouble getting approval to renew Cisco support contracts due to the cost."

What other advice do I have?

You will not be disappointed with a Cisco solution from a technical perspective. Learn the OS via CLI and you will always have job security too.
See 54 more Cisco Ethernet Switches Reviews
Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Cisco Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.