Cisco FabricPath Overview

Cisco FabricPath is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top LAN Switching tools. It is most often compared to Juniper QFabric: Cisco FabricPath vs Juniper QFabric

What is Cisco FabricPath?
Cisco FabricPath is a Cisco NX-OS software innovation combining the plug-and-play simplicity of Ethernet with the reliability and scalability of Layer 3 routing. Using FabricPath, you can build highly scalable Layer 2 multipath networks without the Spanning Tree Protocol. Such networks are particularly suitable for large virtualization deployments, private clouds, and high-performance computing (HPC) environments. The benefits of Cisco FabricPath include: Minimal commands per switch ease configuration and operation, Autodiscovery simplifies addition of new links and switches, Provision additional network bandwidth without impacting network, Supports one-, two-, or three-tier architectures, VLAN extensibility across the data center.

Cisco FabricPath is also known as FabricPath.

Download the LAN Switching Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Cisco FabricPath Customers

Bellevue, Calligaris, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Management Science Associates, Multi-Customer, Oediv, Roper St. Francis, SNAM

Cisco FabricPath Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco FabricPath pricing:
  • "The pricing for this product is good."

LohitYadav
Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Has the ability to link simultaneously without user restrictions, good stability and good documentation

What is our primary use case?

If clients want to avoid STP in their environment, which is usually the case with data center environments, and they want to use an active path, or have multiple paths going to the same resource. If they want to use them both, they use FabricPath. The solution is only supported on Nexus platforms, however. Users should aware of what they're using in the data center.

• "The technical support we get from Cisco is excellent. It's the best in the industry. We're more than satisfied with the level of service they provide."
  • "The pricing could be adjusted to make it easier to sell to clients."

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller as well as a partner. We primarily deal with Cisco products at my organization. I have some knowledge of Aruba as well. FabricPath is Cisco's version of TRILL, an open-source version. I work for a value-added reseller and we're also a system integrator. I work as a technical consultant and I'm more versed in the solution's details, rather than the implementation side of things. Most of our customers range from SMBs to government sector organizations. I'd advise others to do their due diligence and read up on the solution first. Everyone should go through the documentation and…
Waleed Aboda
Senior Network Engineer at UPS
Package solution, with everything in one device but it should offer better reporting

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a firewall and to control viruses. It has many uses in our organization and we can manage it all through the cloud.

• "The fact that the solution is on the cloud is its most valuable aspect. If you are on the cloud, you can manage your network from anywhere, any place. It's very good."
  • "The solution should offer better reporting."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it a six out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Juniper, Arista and others in LAN Switching. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MarioCeribelli
Senior Network Specialist & Project Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A scalable solution for our complex infrastructure with no stability issues

What is our primary use case?

We are a technical services company and this is one of the solutions that we use to support our clients. We provide a hybrid cloud for our customers, so we have four data centers and we have implemented Cisco FabricPath ourselves. We provide managed services for infrastructure, storage, Wi-Fi, etc. FabricPath is used in the network infrastructure of our hybrid cloud.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to migrate VMs between data centers."
  • "I would like to see better interoperability with other IT solutions."

What other advice do I have?

Since 2019, I have been part of the pre-sales team. I have been certified by Cisco for twenty years. I am a CCNP Network Specialist for Routing and Switching, for Security, and I have certification for CCDP Design. I also have other minor certifications including Aruba ACSP. FabricPath is a very good technology, but we can always do better. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
JK
CEO at a integrator with 1-10 employees
Easy to set up, stable, and works well to provide switching redundancy

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco FabricPath is one of the networking infrastructure products that we implement for our customers. This product is well suited to the needs of telecom. We are currently working on a project involving multiple data centers that are spread across India. It is used by ISPs for switching servers to their internal connectivity at the branch level. Essentially, it is working as a layer of redundancy in terms of switching.

• "Cisco is the market leader in this space and it is a product that I recommend."
  • "The management features are in need of improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is the market leader in this space and it is a product that I recommend. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
AD
CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reliable solution that works in enterprise environments

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for extremely large enterprise customers that have extensive data centers.

• "It's a reliable product and you know that it will work in the enterprise environment."
  • "Improvements could be made on specific technical issues such as implementation."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest to anyone interested in implementing this solution to carefully analyze their situation and then prepare the configuration accordingly. I would rate this product an eight out of 10.
CK
Network System Engineer at VSIS
A stable networking solution with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a leading solution integrator and Cisco FabriPath is one of the products that we implement for our customers. This solution makes up part of an enterprise LAN.

• "The technical assistance is good."

What other advice do I have?

Most of our customers are satisfied with the solutions from Cisco. That said, nothing is ever completed because everybody has their own difficulties and challenges. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    Kaushlendra Singh
    Manager - IT Infrastructure and Network at Yamaha
    Performance and reliability with the best support in the business

What is our primary use case?

We have around 3000 users. We've got to give them support about 300 points.

How has it helped my organization?

The best features of Cisco FabricPath is performance and reliability. Also, Cisco Support is better than other technical support.

What needs improvement?

We are using it to implement security sites. Currently, we are using Fortinet as a UTM, you can say an initial firewall. So we are repeating some issues in Fortinet. So we are looking at other products. If we get a better price then we can think about switching.

I have used Cisco FabricPath for ten years.

Cisco support is better than other technical support.

Initial…
    ML
    IT Specialist at Itel Telecomunicazioni srl
    Has good security, web control, and traffic control

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the: Security Web control Traffic control.

What needs improvement?

I would like one management console to control the network.

I have been using Cisco FabricPath for one year.

It works well without any stops.

It is scalable. We have around 100 to 200 users.

Their technical support is fundamental.

I haven't used a different solution previous to FabricPath.

The initial setup is easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would…
    Product Categories
    LAN Switching
    Download our free LAN Switching Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Juniper, Arista, and more!