Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Overview

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is the #7 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to VxRail: Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series vs VxRail

What is Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series?

The Cisco HyperFlex HX Data Platform is a purpose-built, high-performance, scale-out file system with a wide array of enterprise-class data management services. The data platform’s innovations redefine distributed storage technology, giving you complete hyper-convergence with enterprise storage features:

• Enterprise-class data management
  • Linear and incremental scaling
  • API-based data platform architecture
  • A simplified approach
Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Customers

BluePearl Veterinary Partners, Ready Pac Foods, Bryant University, Bellevue Group, KPIT Technologies, City Harvest

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series pricing:
  • "The licensing is perpetual and the only thing that you may need to pay for on a monthly basis is if you're going to use their cloud-based management features."
  • "Its price is high. Cisco needs to work on the pricing model for this product. Nutanix or VMware are cheaper products, and they provide almost the same functionality. Its price is a big road blocker when we are working with an end customer, and Nutanix and VMware are in competition. If they can reduce its price, it is actually a better choice for customers."

Aws Al-Dabbagh
IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
An all-in-one option that is stable and offers good management

What is our primary use case?

HyperFlex is a hyper-converged infrastructure system that is a cluster of servers that provide compute and storage at the same time. Most other networking systems provide either computation separately from storage and networking. However, HyperFlex is a combined system that provides compute, networking, and storage in the same solution. That is, it gives you a single point of management for everything instead of separately for different components.

• "The scalability of the product is quite good overall - as long as you plan correctly from the outset."
  • "Unlike other options, you need to pay a subscription to Cisco yearly instead of paying for the hardware outright, which makes it more expensive in the long run."

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. The HyperFlex is on-premise the hardware infrastructure. You can set it up with VMware ESXi or with Microsoft Hyper-V. We chose to go with VMware ESXi. It was a requirement of the other systems that we depended on. We could have gone with Hyper-V, however, VMware turned out to be the right solution. The system is hardware and it's compatible with both software solutions or hypervisor solutions. We chose VMware ESXi and turned out to be a better solution than Hyper-V. I would recommend the product to other users, as long as it's affordable for the company. The…
MinaMagdy
Senior Infrastructure Solutions Specialist at Fiber Misr
Straightforward to set up and you can manage everything from one place, but it only supports one cache drive per node

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco HyperFlex is one of the products that we propose to our customers. This product is used for hyper-convergence in IT transformation and can be used for very heavy workloads such as VDIs or HAP HANA.

• "The most valuable feature is that you can manage the whole cluster from the traffic interconnect."
  • "With the cache disk fails in Cisco, the whole node fails, and the workload goes down."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco offers the on-cloud management system for HyperFlex but most of our customers that are using a hyper-converged infrastructure prefer to build their own, private cloud. In most cases, they have this solution installed on-premises. Cisco HyperFlex is a product that I can recommend, although VxRail is my first choice. Depending on the customer, their environment, and history with Cisco, I will recommend one of these products over the other. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RR
Presales Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Quite scalable, stable, and offers good technical support

What is our primary use case?

A client typically uses the solution for the VDI critical application and for the containerization as well. It's a critical application and he X location and the hybrid or multi cloud.

• "It's very easy to use and quite a mature product."
  • "The pricing is pretty expensive."

What other advice do I have?

My role in the company is pre-sales. We offer this solution to our clients. As a partner, we don't use Cisco HyperFlex, but we propose HyperFlex for the customer. For the deployment, we can deploy for the DC and DRC side, for the synchronous replication, and also for the stress cluster, we can also deploy for the X location as the HyperFlex has a HyperFex extraction for the X location. I'm in Indonesia, and in this particular country/region, this solution isn't really used very widely. Nutanix is more famous in Indonesia, as it can be used by the SMB customer or small customers up to…
MichaelZhang
IT Director at Guangdong Technion Institute of Technology
Flexible solution with some stability issues

What is our primary use case?

Typically we use this Cisco HyperFlex cluster as our local server virtualization platform. We have all our services running in this cluster. In other words, we could say this is our local data center for all our business systems as well the core components of our IT infrastructure. At this moment, we haven't upgraded to the latest version although Cisco has been encouraging us to upgrade, since they recently published a new version. We will schedule this change maybe next month.

• "Its most valuable feature is its flexibility."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see them able to connect to the public cloud."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series only in a certain situation. Right now, considering many other external constraints, it is very hard to recommend it to people, especially if they are based in mainland China. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series a seven.
Antony K
Solution Architect at COPYCAT LIMITED
Reseller
Straightforward to set up with good management and very good stability

• "The management feature is the solution's most valuable aspect."
  • "We need to be able to scale out and not just up. When you want to scale up or scale out, you are quite limited."

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. My advice to other organizations considering the solution is to make sure you plan before deployment and put into place a proper plan. The initial pre-project timeline puts into place a proper plan and based on your focus. It will make sure that whatever you put into place meets your requirements both right away and into the future. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
AshwaniRana
Senior Technical Consultant at Hitachi Systems, Ltd.
Very scalable, very secure, and good performance, but needs better pricing and a SaaS-based version

• "It is very scalable. It is also very secure. Cisco's security portfolio is integrated with it, which makes it secure. It is a platform-based device. Its performance is also fairly good in comparison to any other solution."
  • "If we compare it with VMware, the VMware product is basically very open, and it can be easily integrated with any platform. VMware product is also available on the cloud and is not an appliance-based product, whereas Cisco HyperFlex is an appliance-based product. Companies that want to use HCI as a platform or as a service would prefer something without an appliance. A SaaS-based product is better for a customer who is using the cloud and has multiple resources, workflows, and devices on the cloud and wants to go for a hyper-converged solution. This is where improvement is needed. In addition to an appliance-based product, Cisco should provide a SaaS-based product. Its price should be lower. Cisco needs to work on the pricing model for this product. Its price is a big road blocker when competing against Nutanix and VMware, which are its main competitors."

What other advice do I have?

The OEMs from Nutanix, VMware, and Cisco have more or less the same features and functionality. The only thing that is missing in this solution is that it doesn't have a SaaS-based version. I would definitely recommend this solution for customers who are looking for an appliance-based product. Cisco HyperFlex is the best appliance-based product. It is better than Nutanix, even though Nutanix is more cost-effective than Cisco. I would rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series a seven out of ten.
Hoang Quan Nguyen
Infrastructure Integration Analyst at a government with 10,001+ employees
Provides flexibility, scalability, performance and availability; prevents need for disaster recovery

What is our primary use case?

Our primary goal is to have a solution that enables us to have 100% uptime between two sites. That's why we're using HyperFlex. It has a very critical application. We are a government organization with around 15,000 users although that can go up to 25,000 in peak times. I'm an infrastructure integration analyst.

• "Stretch cluster allows us to warranty a service for the customer."
  • "There are sometimes issues with memory failure."

What other advice do I have?

I think any business could use HyperFlex, it's a good solution for big or small business. I rate this solution an eight out of 10.
MS
System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Well integrated, easy learning curve, highly dependable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a host environment for applications and also for VDI.

• "The solution is easy to use and to learn. It is well integrated with VMware."
  • "This solution is lacking in replication and backup abilities that I would like to see in a future release similar to HPE SimpliVity."

What other advice do I have?

We have plans to keep using the solution in the future. We have one standard traditional environment and also hyper-converged with Cisco. We are planning to add more hardware to increase capacity because we are almost at full capacity now. We are going to increase the infrastructure due to the ramping up of operations. If you want a reliable solution then I would advise choosing this one. I rate Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series an eight out of ten.
See 3 more Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Reviews
Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.