Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Overview

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is the #7 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to VxRail: Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series vs VxRail

What is Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series?

The Cisco HyperFlex HX Data Platform is a purpose-built, high-performance, scale-out file system with a wide array of enterprise-class data management services. The data platform’s innovations redefine distributed storage technology, giving you complete hyper-convergence with enterprise storage features:

• Enterprise-class data management
  • Linear and incremental scaling
  • API-based data platform architecture
  • A simplified approach
Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Customers

BluePearl Veterinary Partners, Ready Pac Foods, Bryant University, Bellevue Group, KPIT Technologies, City Harvest

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

FQ
Sr. System Engineer at IBL-Unisys
Easy to deploy and easy management for compute resources in collaboration with VMWare.

What is our primary use case?

* Customer POC * Client VMware environment testing.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco-HX-Data-Platform-Installer should contain its own ESXi and VCenter installation during setup, so it can be fit in any organization where no virtual environment is available.
MatsHagberg Olsson
Enterprise System Architect at SAAB Group
The ability to configure BIOS remotely is game-changing and unique to Cisco

What is our primary use case?

Our use case was to set up a new VDI farm.

• "The UCS, which is by far the best management tool there is on the market, regardless of vendor. It's the only tool I see that gives you the opportunity to size and scale all the assets and capacity you have in your data center, from a unified view."
  • "Cisco provides the ability to configure BIOS, something that no one else can do, on a remote basis. That's really helpful sometimes. The bus-snooping alteration tool for BIOS is fantastic. That's one of the game-changing features that Cisco alone has at this point."

What other advice do I have?

Look at the manageability. Do a serious comparison of management tools. That's strong advice because it can be really expensive too if you have to implement a third-party management tool. In terms of extent of use, Cisco systems make up about 30 percent of the overall system, but it was definitely the plan to increase Cisco systems within the data center, meaning HyperFlex, because of the form factor and the density of it.
    Learn what your peers think about Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
    512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    NM
    Divisional Manager - Engineering at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scalability - adding nodes in a new data center as business divisions shift to it - is key for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an application server and for storage.

• "The feature that we are most interested in is the scalability. When needed, we are able to add more nodes and scale it up further."
    • "I would like it to be easier to manage the server, create VMs, and manage the VMs on the client."

What other advice do I have?

There are around 250 users working on it right now. It is used for our manufacturing solution which collects information and Exchange data. There are other users who are using the storage. We will expand its use in the future. As far as the compute is concerned, we will be using it to pick up 60 percent of the work. As far as the storage goes, we are only using ten to 15 percent. In the next few years we will expand and in the seventh year we may have to upgrade or replace the server.
    Juarez Thomazelli
    Pre Sales Manager at Vortex TI
    Helps our clients achieve better performance in VDI, clusters, and database consolidation

What is our primary use case?

I'm a solution architect and I use it to help my clients to achieve better performance in VDI solutions, in clusters, in database consolidation. The solution addresses these kinds of scenarios.

• "I love the Cisco design, the visual interface to manage and use the platform."
    • "Cisco has to continue improve the management tools to provide a better command line interface with more functions. That would be better for administration."

What other advice do I have?

Collect all the information about the environment to determine the prerequisites, understand the business, and understand the value of infrastructure solutions. We are a small partner. We have four clients right now that use the Cisco HyperFlex solution. I would rate HyperFlex at ten out of ten.
    Karuna Madhu Devandla
    General Manager of IT at Magma Fincorp Ltd.
    Requires fewer resources, such as just a single storage person, to manage it

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to deploy all our production and documents. We have deployed Hyper-V on top of HyperFlex and the majority of our operation is on Hyper-V. Major workloads are our e-commerce website and applications that are hosted on it. We have deployed database servers and document management systems and a couple of app and web servers.

• "There are some slight cost advantages when you need fewer resources to manage it."
    • "It needs improvements in terms of I/O. Sometimes I have felt it is slightly slow while we are trying to provision VMs or access VMs."

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and do it. It's a good product. Somebody with a similar environment and a similar experience should go ahead. But check thoroughly that fits your organization. Our administration strategy is that one guy will be managing the complete dashboard. We are planning to see if there is automation where I can provide this through a DevOps tool. That's something I am looking at. There is one main entity using it in our company. Our plan is to deploy this software to all other existing infrastructure as well. Within six months we should be fully implemented and deployed. I rate the solution at…
    AZ
    Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable and robust platform that helps us to understand the customer's needs and what issues they can run into

• "This is not the only product we use, so we have other solutions to compare it with. We can compare different products and different vendors and tell our customers which products have which advantages and disadvantages so that they can leverage these products in their own environment. This product helps us to understand the customer's needs and what issues they can run into."
    • "The primary improvements should be made in the cluster storage controller VMs so that they don't break the upgrade process."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the issues with the upgrading process.
    CI
    Sr Solution Architect at NetDesign
    The management of the system can be done in a centralized way but it should be more cloud-connected

What is our primary use case?

We use it in junction with unified communication solutions. It provides great flexibility for our customers to expand the solution. Also, the ease of management is why they use HyperFlex.

• "Most of our users are Cisco customers, so it fits in within the suites we use. Primarily for me, as a solution architect, it's the technology and architecture that is the most valuable. I know from my technical colleagues that it's easy to use and for the customer, the up-time is the most valuable asset. It's running, has low failure, and so on which is why we use it."
    • "We are moving further out with more cloud solutions, so we need HyperFlex to be more cloud-connected. They should develop more connection to Amazon Web Services and Google cloud because our customers use their services and are moving in that direction."

What other advice do I have?

I rated this solution an eight out of ten because there's still a little room for improvement. I would advise someone considering this solution to connect with Cisco, use the resources that Cisco has. Be open, discuss with Cisco, discuss the architecture the customer designed, the customer demands, include Cisco all around, both the account managers, their technical solutions, the SEs, and so on. Use Cisco.
    David Orozco
    Consultant at Italtel
    Has reduced the time it takes to put servers in production by half the time

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the distributed computing system in several data centers.

• "It has reduced the time it takes to put the servers in production by half the time."
    • "They should have more blade options and more configuration flexibility. Also, the price is expensive. It should be cheaper but it is worth the price."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. The features that it has are balanced with customer's needs and the price. In order to make it a ten, they should lower the cost. I would advise someone considering this solution to explore all of the feature options. The solution's value is in its features.
    DS
    Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Good scalability and easy setup

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtualization.

• "Scalability is easy and simple."
    • "Their technical support is very bad. We had an issue where instead of an engineer we got a PDF "doctor" that didn't know anything about our problem which was very frustrating."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. The solution is not so bad. To get a ten, the upgrades should be smoother and without any problems so that we're not scared to do them. It could also be more traditional. It's hard to trust the new product especially because we've had issues with the upgrades. It may take some time but it is getting better. You should try this solution, you won't regret it.
    SM
    Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Stability is really poor, there have been disruptions of clusters which is a big pain point

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for data center virtualization.

• "The automation is a valuable feature, it's interesting."
    • "Stability is really poor, especially the storage stability. We lost data. There were disruptions of clusters and that's one big pain point of the solution. It's not stable enough, the documentation is not good, there's not much documentation available. For every call we need a tech engineer."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a four out of ten. I would advise someone considering this solution to be careful.
    MM
    IT System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    We can't get a POC to work because there are big latencies between the two sites

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to reduce our hardware storage and to make it virtual so we use vSAN and HyperFlex.

• "The most valuable features are scalability and the easy operation - if it works. You can configure everything from just one window."
    • "They can't get a POC to work because there are big latencies between the two sites we have. Even though we have a private fiber connection and everything else works well, they can't get the two products to talk to each other. They are not able to build it up. It looks like it's a firmware issue. They said it isn't but now it's looking like it is. I hope we can sort it out."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a three out of ten. I would advise someone considering this solution not to spread it over two data centers.
    JK
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Has reduced the cost of management and it has easy monitoring systems

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for desktop infrastructure.

• "The most important benefits that we've seen from this solution is that it reduces the cost of management and it has easy monitoring systems."
    • "A stretch function is really needed. Germans think that because of the high availability and the security that two data centers are better but we want edge all in one cluster. This is a needed feature, the cluster feature, and we'd also like to see a possibility for ROBO offices."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
    Mohamed Elolemy
    Senior Presales Lead at Systems Engineering Of Egypt
    Enables workers to be more efficient and has significantly reduced the time it takes to complete daily activities

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for many banks in Egypt.

• "Our customers have seen ROI in terms of the time they save troubleshooting."
    • "I would like for them to develop integration with other technologies, like SD Access. It's still lacking an enhancement management player."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten, not a ten because nothing is perfect.
    Solution0dea
    Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The high performance has saved us time and money but the technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for data storage for the network.

• "The ROI we have seen from the high performance that has saved us time and money."
    • "Technical support is very good. Not excellent, but good. There's still not enough data available on the web. For example, for the integration to VMware, I had a case recently and I searched for more information but didn't find any."

What other advice do I have?

I would give this solution a seven out of ten because it's still new and I still haven't practiced a lot with it but I have had a good experience until now. I would advise someone considering this solution to sit with your integrator, discuss the different products, comply with the competitors, and you will get your desired results.
    MV
    Enterprise Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is flexible and can quickly deploy machines

What is our primary use case?

Our use case would be deployable mobile headquarters, headquarters on the move, where we can quickly deploy to our small user community and quickly create a mobile data center. This includes using business advantage communications.

• "The flexibility is its most valuable feature; the ability to quickly deploy a number of help machines. It is not constrained by what we want to do."
    • "I would like a lighter product; something which can be carried by a mere human. The typical size still looks like a stack of data center-sized servers, which is typically fine, but not so good if you want to carry it around."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a go. Work with their engineers and support staff to see if your solution fits. Challenge them to go a bit further than than their standard product.
    CA
    Manager at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    The product is stable and can scale

How has it helped my organization?

We use it mostly for our business customers.

What needs improvement?

Cisco should combine its features with its prices.

Less than one year.

The product is stable. No one complains about the stability, which is fabulous.

The scalability is okay. Our customers don't complain about it.

Our technical team said that this is the best solution for us.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was implemented three months ago.

Three months is too soon to see ROI.

What's my experience

SV
    System Administrator at Provinzial NordWest
    It is absolutely stable, but the API could be improved for better integration with other systems

What is our primary use case?

We are using HyperFlex for heavy workloads and virtual machines which are on a separate network.

• "The possibility to share the workload is one of its most valuable features. We have many applications which have need of workloads only a few times in a month, so we share HyperFlex with them."
    • "We are working with a lot of different technologies and trying to manage them with one tool. The API could be improved for better integration with other systems."

What other advice do I have?

At the moment, Cisco is a good vendor, as far as networking solutions. I connect the servers to the network, and the compatibility is good. We haven't tested the new container functionality. I hope it's good, because this is very important for us.
    Florin Ramboiu
    Product and Project Manager at ETA2U
    The compute storage and virtualization come all in one box

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is VDI and virtualization. We are testing it for VDI. For VDI, HyperFlex has been pretty useful.

• "The compute storage and virtualization come all in one box."
    • "We would like HyperFlex to connect the storage directly into Fabric Interconnect along with the features of the solution. We have enough ports in HyperFlex. We don't want to buy another set of switches to connect to Fabric Interconnect, complicating the solution."

What other advice do I have?

Give HyperFlex a try. Try a demo. The solution is fantastic for VDI usage.
    FO
    System Administrator at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is scalable and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is that we are coming from a legacy data storage network and need more flexibility in both storage and network consumption.

How has it helped my organization?

HyperFlex give us a lot of features and functionalities which are key for us. This also applies to the storage.

What is most valuable?

It is scalable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We would like to move off the GUI.

The system runs. It has crashed. We haven't experienced any issues.

The scalability has been very good for us since we were stuck on our old platform with old drives and hardware. Hyperflex has given us flexibility where we can scale…
    Fernando Calvo
    Pre-sales Consultant Manager at Econocom
    The solution can scale up and out

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for clients who has issues with their infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

HyperFlex is compatible with VMware. This is good since we are also a VMware partner. In addition, the product is compatible with Hyper-V, which is another good solution.

What is most valuable?

It is a high availability solution.

The solution is stable.

The solution can scale up and out.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product is expensive. Other…
    ZB
    Data Center Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
    By configuring networks, we are saving power

What is our primary use case?

This is brand new technology for us. We are using the ACI infrastructure in our company for the development of the HyperFlex servers.

How has it helped my organization?

By configuring networks, we are saving power.

We don't know yet, as it is new.

The scalability is perfect.

We are cooperating with Cisco, and so far, the technical support has been great.

The setup was complex because we integrated a lot of things: firewalls, F5 products, and ACI.

We did the deployment in-house with Cisco's help.

The…
    Ole Johan
    Network Engineer at a tech services company
    With its storage system, we are now saving an enormous amount of space

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for people who are tired of messing around with old school solutions, like SANs and NASs, and want to improve the storage side of things in the data center.

• "The storage system is its most valuable feature. It has eliminated our entire need for having to worry about storage. We were storing a lot of syslog data and using a lot of templates in our data center. With the storage system, we are now saving an enormous amount of space."
    • "I would like to see more analytics. It could use better infographs in the HyperFlex Connect on how traffic is running in the network. If you were reaching any capacity issues on the Fabric Interconnects, it should be able to cool all of the servers and Fabric Interconnects, then possibly integrate it with, e.g., Nexus Series switches. This should all be available in a single pane of glass."

What other advice do I have?

Look for what your business needs are, what your data center is using, and keep in mind that all of the big vendors are doing hyperconverged. However, Cisco is the only one who is doing it with the network integrated. With all of the other vendors, you can have whatever type of network you want, but with Cisco, they include the network in the whole hyperconverged scene instead of pawning it off to another vendor. They are sort of forcing you to chose Cisco on the network. Yet, when you choose Cisco on the network, you get validated designs along with tried, tested solutions. The whole data…
    Alister Richmond
    Technical Director at Ping Network Solutions
    Allows us to create high availability between two private data centers

What is our primary use case?

We use it on our customer-facing network management and customer portals. It is run between two resilient data centers and runs very well.

• "We used to have a single customer-facing data center, which was vulnerable to failure. This product has allowed us to create high availability between two private data centers."
    • "We had a bit of complexity to think about how to migrate our legacy infrastructure into Cisco HyperFlex."

What other advice do I have?

Work with Cisco and the Cisco partner. It is all about understanding your requirements. The product works well and supports your business. We recommend it.
    Yasein Elalami
    Network and Security Engineer at Italtel
    Everything is in one device: computing, storage, and networking

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for our customer who was moving from classical storage and computing to the new HyperFlex system.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves space for data centers, which is good.

What is most valuable?

Everything is in one device: computing, storage, and networking.

It is quite new solution, so it is not very stable. However, that is okay.

It is very scalable. It is also easy to scan.

I had some issues that I had to solve myself because of the technical support.

The initial setup is very complex because there were some issues. It…
    DS
    Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    We love its ease of use, ease of deployment, and combination with UCS

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly in a virtualization environment with several VMs. We use it with VMware, not Hyper-V.

• "It is a hyper-converged solution which integrates with the network instead of the product."
    • "The storage layer seems to be a little better on the VMware than on HyperFlex side."
    Pantelis Rizos
    CIO at a energy/utilities company
    The initial setup was straightforward. Using partners and a consultancy, we didn't have any problems with the installation and parametrization.

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this product for a while. We wanted to use our current equipment and have been very excited with the results of our projects.

• "The initial setup was straightforward. With our partners and the consultancy that we had, we knew what we wanted to do. Therefore, we didn't have any problems with the installation and parametrization."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution. Find a good consultant and vendor to implement it before purchasing the software and equipment.
      PC
      Senior Consultant at Daimler AG
      The latest models include all the newest cutting edge technology

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Cisco machines when it comes to the HX-Series product line (or category) in our organization. We are quite satisfied with the product because we primarily deal with Cisco when it comes to the compute and network parts.

• "It consumes a smaller footprint when I compare it with other competitors."
      • "Sometimes when there are multiple technologies involved in a support case, this is when there is a bit of a lag."

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product to have in your data centers. Pick a good use case, then do a PoC and perform your own benchmarking. Once you are satisfied, go ahead with the product. The latest models include all the newest cutting edge technology.
      IK
      Data Center Supervisor at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has been great for the deduplication and compression of data, allowing us to save a lot of space

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product right now for our virtual environment. As the product develops, we are looking forward to utilizing the product on the cloud.

• "The compression and deduplication are very high. Therefore, we can use the size of the product more efficiently than other storage solutions."
      • "I would like to see them expand onto the cloud."

What other advice do I have?

Try it. The HyperFlex solution is perfect.
      FH
      Network Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
      A good system to run our virtual machines and services on for high performance and high availability

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is virtualization on VMware. We have some virtual machines, which need a lot of computing power, and HyperFlex seems to be a good solution.

• "You can administer things easily. E.g., if you need more power, you can add a system."
      • "There is a VMware plugin for HyperFlex, which sometimes it hangs up in our environment, and doesn't function well."

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at HyperFlex because it is a good system. Out-of-the-box, it runs quite well.
      Carlo Poggiarelli
      Solution Architect at Teleconsys
      It can convert applications and improve performance

What is our primary use case?

It is to migrate our customer's solutions to a hyper-converged solution. This is the primary use case.

• "The technical support has been helpful. We are always able to get through to the right person."
      • "Some of our customers do not want to adopt the Cisco ACI solution. They want to manage Cisco HyperFlex by integrating it with their own management solution."

What other advice do I have?

For customers in the private sector, this product can have a very high return on investment.
      RK
      IT Infrastructure Manager at Azersun Holding
      An easy out-of-the-box solution that one person can manage

What is our primary use case?

We use it in our production environment for some tasks, such as availability, easy scalability, easy setup, and independence from too many solutions put together. We use FlexPod as another one for mutualized infrastructure.

• "When we use it for VDI solutions, it is very easy to deploy and support."
      • "The setup was complex, especially since we usually do all the planning, sizing, and workflows before integration."

What other advice do I have?

Don't afraid to try other solutions. Companies are constantly changing. Sometimes some little companies bring about the perfect solution for other products. You should research everything. Cisco has a very wide range of products. You can build everything within Cisco products, and it will be easily deployable. The programming language is the same between it and other software and hardware companies.
      RV
      Solution Consultant IBM Storage/Lenovo/Softlayer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      Key for switching abilities and more scalable than similar solutions

What is our primary use case?

Cisco is key for switching abilities. The management from the switches to the hyper-convergence solutions, such as the storage or server environment, is quite good and well-developed.

What is most valuable?

It is more high end versus other solutions, like Lenovo HX, but, Cisco partners are very loyal to the brand.

Cisco is more scalable versus other solutions in the same sphere. For example, Cisco is predominantly used with bigger companies. Lenovo HX is used for smaller sized companies.

I have prior experience with VMware, Nutanix, and Lenovo HX. I think that Lenovo HX…
      Fabio Vilches
      System Engineer with 51-200 employees
      Reseller
      It simplifies management for our organization

What is our primary use case?

It is an acceptable storage solution.

• "It is a solution that best suits thre needs of our organization."
      • "It needs more detailed documentation."

What other advice do I have?

When considering this product, evaluate it carefully. Note whether the environment is best for the solution.
      TB
      Manager at EagleBurgmann
      User
      The software defines networking, storage, and processing

What is our primary use case?

Manufacturing and logistics software controls, ERP and document management servers, and database production and development servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Less rack space, decreased power and cooling costs, overall information technology team efficiency, and a single point of management.

What is most valuable?

The software defines networking, storage, and processing. Flash acceleration feature for most files.

What needs improvement?

Deployment scripts can be improved. Several clans need to be created before the deployment effectively works.

it_user827313
      Director, Network Engineering and Technology with 5,001-10,000 employees
      User

What is our primary use case?

Supports Cisco Virtual Appliances for videotelephony control plane, network monitoring, and network management.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to spin up and operate virtual machines without the overhead of managing a storage network.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

We are operating two clusters for site resiliency. I would like to support running redundant/resilient vCenter server instances on each rather than a supported external server.

Less than one year.
      Product Categories
      Hyper-Converged (HCI)
      Download our free Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.