Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is the #8 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to VxRail: Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series vs VxRail

What is Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series?

The Cisco HyperFlex HX Data Platform is a purpose-built, high-performance, scale-out file system with a wide array of enterprise-class data management services. The data platform’s innovations redefine distributed storage technology, giving you complete hyper-convergence with enterprise storage features:

• Enterprise-class data management
  • Linear and incremental scaling
  • API-based data platform architecture
  • A simplified approach
Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Customers

BluePearl Veterinary Partners, Ready Pac Foods, Bryant University, Bellevue Group, KPIT Technologies, City Harvest

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Video

Archived Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Reviews (more than two years old)

SherifAbouelezz
CIO at Latif Group
Backups are easy; for large backups no other software is needed as it backs up VMware

• "The most valuable feature was the backup - it was easy to back up. It was also very easy to administrate and manage the system; much easier and faster. Finally, it was easy to extend the disk capacities."
  • "I would have liked it to be able to back up the system to a cloud, to be able to work from any other place"

What is our primary use case?

The primary use was for a private cloud for the company. I used it for an ERP system and several other applications that were specialized for the company.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the workflow, as it's much faster than rack servers. It saved months of work. When we implemented the system, it took two or three hours and it took us about another eight hours to move from the old system to the new system. In any other case, it would have taken a lot more time.

What is most valuable?

• The most valuable feature was the backup - it was easy to back up.
  • The system was never down.
  • It was very easy to administrate and manage the system; much easier and faster.
  • It was easy to install, it was up and running in minutes.
  • It was easy to extend the disk capacities.

Regarding the backup, it's much easier because it's using VMware. You can do large backups without using any additional software because it backs up VMware, the whole process, at the same time.

What needs improvement?

I would have liked it to be able to back up the system to a cloud, to be able to work from any other place. If there is a data disaster, you need somewhere where the data is stored so the company can still work, especially if you have several other facilities working on the system remotely.

It's very stable. We had no issues with downtime.

With a hyperconverged system it's easy to increase whatever you need. We needed to increase our data storage several times and we increased it very easily. The scalability was very nice and we didn't need any downtime to increase the system.

We had 40 TB capacity and 20 TB availability with about 70 TB of backup. There were about 200 users. Their roles included finance, HR; almost all the departments in the organization.

Technical support was very good. When we needed anything, they were always online. They were generally responsive and helpful. We had to escalate an issue with them once and it was solved in 24 hours.

We used a special ERP system for real estate development, using SQL servers. We used Oracle servers. We used MySQL for HR servers. Those were the main three systems we were using.

We switched to Cisco because it was time to change our servers. They would have been seven years old, so we studied what the best solution to convert to would be and we found that the hyperconverged was much better for us.

The initial setup was very straightforward. There were three people involved: me and two others. One of them was responsible for backing up the old system and one was responsible for the implementation. I was mainly responsible for the overall work, managing it.

After implementation it required one person for maintenance.

We did not use consultant when deploying it.

The areas where we saw ROI were in the administration time for the servers, the lack of downtime, and increasing the capacity. On a five-year basis, the ROI was about 20 percent.

It's much more expensive than rack servers. It was an issue, but when you compare it to the number of people who were administrative assistants before, it's on the positive ROI side. It's much cheaper.

We did a comparison between Nutanix, Dell EMC, and Cisco. In the end, we decided on Cisco over Nutanix. HyperFlex was more affordable, although I think Nutanix is a little better.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is go for it. I had never had experience with hyperconverged, and it was a very nice experience. I learned a lot from it. It was something completely new.

I prefer any hyperconverged system. I think it's a great system.

RR
Senior Network Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Does a good job of combining both software and hardware and enables us to backup user data easily

• "The integration between the storage and the server applications is the most valuable feature of this solution. It cuts down on the necessity to buy a secondary storage system.. It saves money in the long-run."
  • "We would like to have the ability to not have to reboot while doing updates. Being able to work through updates with as minimal amount of impact to users."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for VDI, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, for our community college.

How has it helped my organization?

It ultimately provides a virtual desktop so that we can backup user data a lot more easily. In the past, it was all a straight desktop computer so if your desktop dies, all your data would die as well.

In terms of it being flexible for various projects, it does seem to lend itself to other applications, for example, our VMware, as well as servers that we may want to bring up under the HyperFlex solution so we may go in that direction sometime in the future.

It has the potential of actually being a six million dollar impact to the college because it replaces people's computers. Until we start to transfer users over to it we really won't know how much of that six million dollars is savings for us.

I don't know if it's lowered the deployment time per se because we really haven't gotten to the point where we added shelves or added servers to it. We're expecting for that to be a simple process given what Cisco claims it will do. Ultimately we're expecting no downtime for that.

What is most valuable?

The integration between the storage and the server applications is the most valuable feature of this solution. It cuts down on the necessity to buy a secondary storage system. It saves money in the long-run.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have the ability to not have to reboot while doing updates. Being able to work through updates with as minimal amount of impact to users.

The stability is great but ultimately we've noticed the updates and upgrades take a bit of an impact on the solution. More so, having to reboot the solution and having to restart it. While it is stable, rebooting it for updates isn't always convenient. Ultimately, just like any organization, we would do that on off hours whether it be weekends, nights, or whatnot. But that costs money because you have to have staff on weekends, nights and whatever overtime they have to account for.

Scalability is just as they predicted. It combined the frontend servers with the backend storage. While it is a little cumbersome to learn, it is scalable to be able to add more shelves if I need more memory or additional servers very easily. It does scale nicely.

I'm pretty neutral about technical support right now given that we're still setting up the solution to some degree. The support is great, as long as there is a maintenance contract in place. But because the overall solution is still rather new, using knowledge base or just generic knowledge base out on the internet is not as prevalent as I would like.

We are a Dell shop. We looked at HP but ultimately because of the features that Cisco brought with the HyperFlex solution, we felt that that was a superior product to everyone else.

The initial setup was straightforward. We simply wanted to understand how the two worked together given that the claim is that it's supposed to be easy to combine both storage and servers.

We used a consultant for the deployment that Cisco suggested. Because the solution is rather new to us the scenario was pleasant. They knew what they were doing but I felt like the knowledge transfer could have been a lot better.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a high eight or nine out of ten because of the features and functions that it comes with that the competitors really can't do just yet. The advantage I think so far has been that Cisco developed the entire solution from scratch as opposed to other solution providers like HP and Dell who are still trying to reinvent existing solutions.

I think it's a viable solution if you have a need to cut down on your overall implementation costs on hardware. This does a good job of combining both software and hardware.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KG
Systems Admin at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good stability, scalability and has good technical support

• "The most valuable feature of Cisco HyperFlex HX is that it is self-contained."
  • "The initial setup of the Cisco HyperFlex HX platform was medium-level difficult. It's a little bit different from traditional servers. It takes getting used to the learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of the Cisco HyperFlex HX solution is to run virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Cisco HyperFlex HX is that it is self-contained.

Cisco HyperFlex HX is fairly stable. We don't have any problems with it. I would give stability an eight out of ten.

For the scalability of the solution, I would give it an 8 out of10.

The solution's technical support is good. We have had a lot of experiences with them in the past. It's fine. We just had some questions. We didn't know how to do everything.

We've had a few problems. It's new. Often, we don't know how to solve the issue we're having. The response times are okay.

We were looking for hyperconverged solutions. We already purchased Cisco products for our data center. This was a next-generation device.

The initial setup of the Cisco HyperFlex HX platform was medium-level difficult. It's a little bit different from traditional servers. It takes getting used to the learning curve.

We used a reseller, SMP, for the deployment.

The other vendors on our shortlist were VMware and Datrium.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would grade Cisco HyperFlex HX an eight. If the cost was improved, I would give it a ten.

Make sure to look at a long list of competitors in the hyperconverged sector for cross-reference before purchasing. Look at all the main players.

Brad Smith
Principle Architect at NTT Data India Enterprise Application Services Pri
The time to deliver a VM has been reduced to five minutes as opposed to a few days

• "Cisco HyperFlex HX has improved the way our organization functions in the way that the time to deliver a VM takes me five minutes. In comparison, my cloud team's response is a couple of days based on all their overhead policies, procedures, and ticket requests. This is substantial."
  • "Cisco's technical support originally was outstanding, but it has declined over the last 12 months. I've heard they're trying to do better, but I haven't been overly impressed with their support recently for HyperFlex."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Cisco HyperFlex HX is internal. We use it for internal hyper-converged. I post VMs for internal use and for customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco HyperFlex HX has improved the way our organization functions in the way that the time to deliver a VM takes me five minutes. In comparison, my cloud team's response is a couple of days based on all their overhead policies, procedures, and ticket requests. This is substantial.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it is easy to use all across the board. I can do hyper-converged without being a storage guy. That's a big deal.

What needs improvement?

They should fix the upgrade process. The upgrade process is great. It is seamless 70% of the time, but when it doesn't work, it goes south. Cisco needs to fix some of those upgrade bugs and it will be a perfect solution. That would be good for somebody who doesn't want to spend a lot of time micromanaging the device in production.

It is very stable. I've been running one cluster since 2016 with no outages. I've got two other clusters that have been running flawlessly.

Cisco HyperFlex HX has got great scalability. Right now, they offer a potential scale that is well beyond my network requirements.

We weren't using any previous solution. I was trying to redesign how we deployed services and tools to our customers. The only way to do that was with virtualization.

I needed something like Cisco HyperFlex HX because I'm a network guy. I'm not a server or storage guy. I wasn't the VM guy. I needed something that I could support with very low maintenance and very few hands. Cisco HyperFlex HX has fulfilled that need greatly.

The initial setup was very straightforward.

For the deployment, we consulted with Cisco directly.

HyperFlex and Nutanix were the main two products that I looked at. The reason I eventually chose Cisco was cost and data center footprint. Nutanix was twice the physical footprint in the data center than HyperFlex.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product a solid nine because of the upgrade process. Everything we've been doing with it is blazing a new trail.

We've been dramatically changing how we deliver the service. Not only am I changing how we deliver the service, but the tools team is changing the platform they're delivering it on too. It's all a new investment. There are not a lot of cost savings today that we can realize.

You can deploy Cisco HyperFlex HX with very little knowledge of UCS, hyper-converged, or storage. There is very little ramp-up time. UCS manager takes a little bit of getting used to. Cisco HyperFlex HX is a solid product. I can't steer people away from it.

AT
Common Tech at PCGLA
We now have fewer vulnerabilities on the network and better security

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the connectivity, consistency, and that we now have fewer vulnerabilities on the network."
  • "The additional feature I would like to see included in the next release of this solution is more security. We want to add more data servers to all the hosts all over the world. We have 140 hosts that connect to one data center in Manila."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for HyperFlex is for connecting the Meraki VPN. We're working with the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila. We put the VPN through HyperFlex.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the way our organization functions in the way that we have less work. We have simple communication through the VPN and we have better confidentiality and security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the connectivity, consistency, and that we now have fewer vulnerabilities on the network.

What needs improvement?

The additional feature I would like to see included in the next release of this solution is more security. We want to add more data servers to all the hosts all over the world. We have 140 hosts that connect to one data center in Manila.

The stability works fine.

Our scalability works well. It's fine.

The solution's technical support is good. We have a good technical team for support.

I need to gain more knowledge about Cisco solutions that we need to apply to our system.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We used a reseller in the Philippines for the implementation. They are the only Cisco distributor in the Philippines.

We have seen ROI.

We have a 3-year contract with Cisco. The license is for three years also.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this product a 9. After using it for a year there haven't been any issues or technicalities.

Pick Cisco.

JM
Manager at Chevron
Optimizes cloud environments with seamless migration of a complete data center

• "The most valuable features of this solution are scalability, performance, and reliability. It scales well inside of a large data center."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Cisco HyperFlex HX is for data centers. It performs well. The solution helps us simplify operations through minimal maintenance and ease of patching.

We did the upgrade as part of the lifecycle when the previous equipment became end-of-life. It was time for the investment. At the same time, we were building out new data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has improved the way our organization functions by allowing our data centers to perform optimally. It allows us to access our private data centers more seamlessly. This solution is flexible for various projects like cloud migration.

We use Cisco HyperFlex HX to share on the external cloud the ability to access earth science, geophysical data, and core applications.

What is most valuable?

Cisco HyperFlex HX allows us to connect and scale a lot of different technologies. They're very reliable. It very rarely breaks or has a maintenance issue.

Cisco HyperFlex HX is easy to patch and very cost-effective.

Cisco HyperFlex HX is very stable and reliable.

Cisco HyperFlex HX is very scalable for a large data center solution.

Technical support is excellent when it's needed through Cisco. It's usually fast, responsive, and done right the first time.

On occasions, we've had emergency patching requirements. We worked with Cisco to update those environments fairly quickly.

The initial setup of Cisco HyperFlex HX is straightforward. It is easy to install with plug and play connectivity. It was standard with no complexity at all.

HyperFlex lowered our deployment times approximately 20%.

For the deployment, we used Cisco Professional Services.

We've seen our unit cost of providing services to data centers go down.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate this product a 10 for the reliability, ease of configuration, and customer support.

Everyone should understand connectivity in private and public clouds. We require seamless connectivity throughout and especially with some of the security technologies.

Cisco HyperFlex HX is the best on the market. Everyone should consider it.

RP
    Network Analyst at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Performs well and is good at resolving issues

• "The most valuable feature for our company is that it works internally. We have a lot of internal projects for optimization."
    • "The scalability could use improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We normally use a UCS, a uniform communication service, I'm still learning how HyperFlex works. We are evaluating it for use in the intermediate to deep future.

How has it helped my organization?

I do troubleshooting and monitoring on Cisco HyperFlex HX for our customers. I do maintenance and monitoring for the infrastructure environment.

We do a lot of internal projects like optimization, we also use ACI for optimizing the network. It simplifies the cost reduction.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for our company is that it works internally. We have a lot of internal projects for optimization.

HyperFlex is flexible for various projects. We have a lot of vendors doing projects where HyperFlex has been good at solving issues.

What needs improvement?

The scalability could use improvement.

HyperFlex performs very well.

The scalability is up around 75%.

My team works on ACI and HyperFlex. They've had great Cisco support for that.

Our marketing team told us about the solution. They introduced every new technology that came in and gave us a demo. My managers considered the options and approved Cisco.

The initial setup for HyperFlex is straightforward. It doesn't take much time.

HyperFlex lowered our deployment times around one to two days based upon the environment of workers that we needed to invest.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this product an eight.

I completely recommend whatever Cisco solutions you use. They provide the best option to maintain infrastructure environment. It's very useful.

Chris Wall
    Sr IT Manager at Aryzta
    A single-vendor solution for our branch office servers, but the deployment could be made easier

• "The most valuable feature is that it is something small that can be more easily deployed than a full data center set of servers."
    • "The deployment could be made a little bit easier, as we still seem to struggle with it a little bit for a day or so to get it running."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for branch office servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of having to go to multiple vendors to deploy a solution, it's just one place where we have everything that we need to set up and go.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Having this solution even easier to manage would be nice.

The deployment could be made a little bit easier, as we still seem to struggle with it a little bit for a day or so to get it running. I would like to have less clicking to deploy it, where it is ready to go out of the box with a default build. That would make things a little faster.

Eighteen months.

This solution was not stable when we originally implemented it. However, over the last eighteen months or so, the updates have made it stable and actually usable for us.

It definitely looks like it keeps scaling. We're not doing huge deployments of it, but it looks like it's easy to keep adding on to what we have.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

The initial setup was complex, but it was done more than eighteen months ago in the old form of things. It was a little harder than it is now.

We handle the implementation and deployment in-house.

We currently have a perpetual license, which is kind of unlimited, so we don't have the normal licensing cost, yet.

We purchased both this solution and one from Nutanix to compare them.

What other advice do I have?

This solution allows us to get up and running a lot faster than before. Instead of it being multiple days of cabling, multiple solutions, and getting the servers online, it now generally takes one full day to get it up and ready to go.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JJ
    Network Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    A fast and robust solution for our Call Monitor

• "The speed, storage, and management are the most valuable features."
    • "We would like to see better integration in the next release of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our Call Monitor and for Contact Center Express.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a robust product that we can rely on.

What is most valuable?

The speed, storage, and management are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see better integration in the next release of this solution.

Managing this solution is complex and should be improved.

Six months.

So far, the stability has been good. Since we implemented six months ago, we haven't had any issues. We were able to upgrade the code without interrupting the service, which is good.

We add more HyperFlex servers as we need, so it is pretty scalable.

Technical support for this solution is very good. This is a new technology for us, and we had to call a lot to ask for help with updating or integrating.

We were using UCS previously, but we needed better hardware for our Call Monitor.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

We implemented this solution in-house by following all of the instructions.

We have not yet seen the ROI.

Our licensing costs are large, but it is combined between all of the Cisco products that we have.

We trust Cisco and did not want to change vendors.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this technology is to learn it before you implement it. This is a very stable product, but it is complex to manage.

DA
    Manager, Open Systems Infrastructure at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    A fast and easy deployment that allows secure access to our medical applications

• "It allows us to authorize our residents to come in using their own personal devices to access any of our clinical applications and ensure that the PHI is secure and protected."
    • "If we could have just a single pane of glass, where everything can be managed through that one app, rather than have multiple apps, it would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for our VDI. This is used to deliver our EMR and other medical and clinical applications to our residents and providers throughout the medical center.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the big benefits of using this solution is security. It allows us to authorize our residents to come in using their own personal devices to access any of our clinical applications and ensure that the PHI is secure and protected.

PHI is a major concern for us. Patient safety, patient security, and our data protection are the number one priorities for a lot of our solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us was the time to delivery. We had a short window of about three months to implement because we had in incoming residence group of about a thousand users that they wanted us to have VDI up and running for. We were told about it in March by our CIO, and by June 1st it was up and running.

What needs improvement?

One of the challenges we have with Cisco, in general, is the multiple management platforms for the UCS, and I would like to see it all under one umbrella. If we could have just a single pane of glass, where everything can be managed through that one app, rather than have multiple apps, it would be great. There are three apps that we currently have to integrate with.

I would like to see them broaden their processor options. We've had some challenges with Intel, and I'd like to see them look at other potential CPU providers.

Eighteen months

Stability has been excellent for us. We've been up and running on it for about eighteen months now, and we're in the process of expanding. We have a goal to have about six thousand users up and running by the end of this year.

The scalability of this solution has been excellent. We've been able to add additional HyperFlex units on the fly, and it's been pretty seamless.

So far, technical support has been very good. We've had a couple of challenges with some of the firmware updates we've had to do, and SMARTnet has been excellent at helping us to get through those.

Prior to this, we were using Cisco B200 Blade Servers for our normal VMR infrastructure, and we when we wanted to implement VDI we wanted to go hyper-convergence.

The simplicity of the initial setup is one of the reasons why we picked this product. It is almost plug-and-play. It allowed us to install our first cluster of ten HyperFlex units, in each of our data centers, and within a couple of days, it was up and running. It was pretty straightforward.

We worked with Cisco and our reseller for evaluating the product, but when it came to the implementation, my team was able to do it on their own.

I do not have a good handle on the ROI, except to give an example from our implementation. Had we been required to buy laptops for all of the incoming residents, at say $2,000 per student, then we're talking $200,000. This is something that we didn't have to spend because we could deliver a VDI solution that lets them use their own personal device.

One of the challenges we have with HyperFlex is that they have a subscription fee for the operating system that runs on it, and if I remember correctly, it costs approximately $15,000 USD per month.

We looked at everybody including Dell, HP, Cisco, and Nutanix. As we ferried through them we were much more comfortable with the Cisco product line, and that's why we ended up choosing it. Their technical support is very good, they had a great implementation for their HyperFlex, and we already had knowledge and experience working with the Cisco Server Blades. Cisco also had a competitive price point.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is researching this solution is to have an understanding of the ROI. It is easy to jump in and see great technology, but you need to know what the long term cost is. One thing that we learned when we went into hyper-converged technology is the licensing costs that come with it. This is a yearly thing that you have to account for.

Overall, this solution was very easy for us to implement. Some of the challenges we're having are related to the management platform and the fact that we have to deal with multiple platforms at the moment. Once this is all consolidated, I would be happy to give a rating of ten.

Today, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

ZA
    Director of Network Operations at a government
    Offers the ability to individually upgrade specific parts of the product and is easy to manage

• "The product is easy to manage and flexible for upgrading without major changes."
    • "The product needs work in the area of deduplication which currently is inefficient."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use we have for this product is to act as a server and for storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is easy to manage.

Another valuable feature is the fact that you can individually upgrade the specific parts of the product. Compared to other products like SimpliVity, or Nutanix you have to upgrade the whole node if you want to expand memory or storage. In HyperFlex, you can actually upgrade at will. If you want to upgrade your memory cloud, you upgrade it. So that is a big advantage I've seen from any hyper-convergence product. VxRail or Nutanix and products like that are not as flexible and that is the biggest reason we chose this solution.

What needs improvement?

I think the product can improve dramatically in the area of deduplication. With deduplication as it is, you have 30 or 40% of the storage that can't be used because the deduplication is not efficient enough. I hope they fix that problem.

The stability of the solution has never been a problem. I would say it is excellent.

I think the scalability of the solution is excellent. Because you can upgrade individual pieces without upgrading a whole node. The problem for other solutions is that if you want a hard drive or you want additional storage or you want memory, you have to make a bigger investment in hardware and time. So, scalability's excellent.

Our experience with Cisco support and products is always very good.

Through conferences and other research, we became aware that there were products which would serve our needs better. Previously, we needed a dedicated storage person to do storage, a dedicated BMR (Bare Metal Restore) person to do BMR. Now, one person can do both because you spend a lot less time with either. So that is the reason we looked at hyper-convergence and this product.

The initial setup was very straightforward compared to categorical peers. If you compare it with other products, it's straightforward. But when you consider hyper-convergence itself, it is not straightforward. I am technical and I have technical team, otherwise it might have been hard. But for our cumulative experience and looking at implementing products like Nutanix — or some other similar products — it's straightforward.

We used Cisco themselves as the vendor. They were very good at implementing the solution.

Return on investment is really immediate and substantial. In a traditional EMC storage environment, we needed to assign a full-time person to maintain storage. With this solution, our ROI is allowing one full-time person to maintain more because it is easier. You can say, basically, that you're gaining a full-time person to do something else for the same cost.

My advice about the product is simply that it's not cheap. If you have budget limitations it is best to look elsewhere.

We did consider other products like Dell EMC VxRail, Nutanix, and another company.

We had EMC VNX storage, BMR and such. Hyper-convergence made more sense. The big thing for us was being able to easily manage the product.

What other advice do I have?

I can safely rate this product as an eight out of ten. This is because it's scalable and you can upgrade it as if you are upgrading a server. In any other solution with hyper-convergence, you can't do that, so you've got to buy a node part to upgrade memory.

Anyone considering this solution should define their requirements. It's not a solution for everybody. If you're using a lot of storage, hyper-convergence might not be good for you. We don't have a lot of storage, so it is a functional and desirable solution for us. If you have much greater storage needs, it may not be a good solution.

NM
    CIO at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
    Increases efficiency, decreases the cost, and manages the network in one single way

What is our primary use case?

My job is to change the technical language to business language. We need to increase efficiency and effectiveness, decrease the cost and decrease administrative issues. We are increasing the population inside the company, increasing the staff. People in the management of the company are trying to decrease the cost expenses and increase efficiency. In this case, centralization brings a lot of advantages. We have one person who works on everything and gathers everything together.

How has it helped my organization?

It increases efficiency, decreases the cost, and manages the network in one single way. That's the most important thing.

What is most valuable?

When you get a new product, the updates are very important.

What needs improvement?

The…

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

When you get a new product, the updates are very important.

What needs improvement?

The infrastructure team thinks that there are a lot of issues.

It is absolutely stable.

Scalability is one of the most important things with the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series. In terms of scalability, this product provides maximum scalability.

We can easily increase horizontally. We can easily increase the number of nodes. It depends on the subscription.

We've worked directly with Cisco for the setup. We have our company team. We're also worked with a service provider.

It's a team that consists of the Cisco people, the service provider, and our company's internal engineers.

Our ROI was about 100% over the last twelve months.

We always use Cisco for 95% to 98% of our capacity.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of 1-10, I would rank the Cisco HyperFlex HX at about 8.5 to 9.

DR
    Sr Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Enables our organization to work seamlessly by providing storage and compute resources to staff in remote offices

• "Easily facilitates remote work opportunities with storage and compute resources."
    • "The documentation could be substantially better, but the product itself does everything it needs to do."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is remote office environments.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped our organization work seamlessly with staff in remote offices by providing storage and compute resources. These two things have made a big difference in how we are able to work effectively as an organization with diverse environments.

What is most valuable?

The best part about this solution is feature simplicity from the user end, besides providing storage and compute resources.

What needs improvement?

I don't really think it needs to be improved as far as the product itself. I can't think of anything yet that it doesn't already do. It fills our needs. It would be best if it continued to meet the needs of technology as it advances over time.

I think the documentation is a big con for Hyperflex. More substantial, straightforward documentation would help end users make more of their investment. There really isn't a problem with product functionality.

So far we have had no issues with the stability of the product. It seems very stable and has performed as expected.

We have not needed to scale yet, but I would say — based on what we know that product can do and our experience with it — that the solution is very scalable.

Technical support has been good. I've opened a few cases and I got great responses in a reasonable amount of time.

We had a new situation and a new problem that came up in our environment so we started evaluating other potential solutions. The solution we had couldn't resolve the new issue. We researched and learned that HyperFlex could solve it.

The initial setup was very straightforward. No problems at all.

We self-deployed the solution without the need for external assistance.

Before we made our final decision, we evaluated VMware as a potential solution but felt that the HyperFlex better fit our needs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Hyperflex solution as a nine out of ten. This is not because HyperFlex is not meeting our needs but because nothing is perfect.

BM
    Network Architect at City of Mesa
    Offers big storage space for hosting VMs but the setup was complex to integrate into an existing environment

• "Cisco HyperFlex HX has improved the way our organization functions on the storage side by having one big storage space for hosting VMs. We do not have to provision other ones. That's a positive aspect of it."
    • "I haven't been too impressed with the Cisco HyperFlex HX, honestly. It's a hard concept."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is the hosting of VMs.

We were just using standard ESX clusters on UCS flights. Instead, they chose HyperFlex to see if it could replace that solution.

This is just your standard ESX on blade server type of deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

I haven't been too impressed with the Cisco HyperFlex HX, honestly. It's a hard concept.

What needs improvement?

I don't work day-to-day enough with Cisco HyperFlex to be able to say what would necessarily make it better. Initial integration was tough.

Our group was just looking for another approach to hosting their various VMs.

So far, it's been fairly stable.

It seems like the Cisco HyperFlex is very scalable. Our deployment is small. We haven't tested out that aspect of it.

Technical support is good. I don't do day-to-day operations of it, another group does.

The initial setup of the Cisco HyperFlex HX was complex, i.e. trying to integrate it into an existing environment. It was more tailored for a brand new deployment, where you're just building it from the ground up.

We already had an existing system and we're trying to integrate it into it.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I rate this product a seven. It seems like it would be easy to utilize for a new deployment.

I would prefer that Cisco not try to sell it as something that can integrate into an existing environment. They are beating down on that, but be aware.

The limitations, whether you're doing a new deployment or trying to integrate it into an existing system, might be tough.

AK
    Senior Systems Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
    Helps put everything in centrally so it can be managed from one place

• "Cisco HyperFlex is helping us to put everything in centrally so that we can manage in one place."
    • "You cannot just apply the VSXi updates. You are dependent on Cisco HyperFlex for metric services, analytics, and everything else. I don't like that dependency."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the product is for the data center. We are hosting all of the servers and building infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

That's the whole reason why we got the solution, so that we can have better integration with all of our product applications.

What is most valuable?

We are still exploring Cisco HyperFlex. We have just deployed it. It's all automation. We want to automate everything. That's the reason why we bought it.

What needs improvement?

One problem is that whenever we want to do something on VMware, you are dependent on HyperFlex. With everything now, you have to look into HyperFlex.

You cannot just apply the VSXi updates. You are dependent on Cisco HyperFlex for metric services, analytics, and everything else. I don't like that dependency.

Stability is good so far, but there is a lot of learning. A lot of things are dependent on VMs. There are controlled VMs and you have to always make sure to keep those VMs up and running.

There is a lot of learning involved with ACI. That's huge. The technology which goes around HyperFlex, you have to learn, i.e. ACI, HyperFlex, VMware, etc.

One thing I like about this product is it is more scalable and fast, i.e. the disks and everything. We can extend our data center to some other places.

Technical support is fairly good. I have been able to get through to the right person. It took me a while, but it was not something very urgent. I didn't think it was much trouble.

We used a reseller called DIG. It was good. I was not part of that.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate the product an eight. It's a great data center tool. I look at the weight of the costs too.

None of the products is 100% correct. We just deployed the Cisco HyperFlex. We have to see how it goes. We are also in the cloud. You have to keep looking for that option as it saves a lot on hardware and power consumption

We are still migrating all our old infrastructure, which is on C7000. We are doing that right now. Once that is done, I'll be able to get some metrics. Every company is different.

EF
    Manger Assistant in Storage at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Very easy, convenient, and the performance is exceptional for virtual storage

• "On the VDI side, because the storage is local to the HyperFlex, it was very easy and convenient. The performance is exceptional."
    • "Maybe a better version is required to gather all of the information to allow HyperFlex to bring everything online more rapidly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco HyperFlex for two reasons:

1. At one data center, it's used as our primary virtualization and storage platform.
    2. At our other data center, it's used for VDI.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series has improved our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it's self-contained. At the data center, everything is in the virtualized section. It was easier to put that in there than build it, i.e. buy a stand, buy the computers, and get it all integrated with networking.

With hyper-scale, we're able to go in very quickly and be able to get it up online.

What needs improvement?

Maybe a better version is required to gather all of the information to allow HyperFlex to bring everything online more rapidly.

The initial implementation workflow could be improved. There's a lot of information you need to gather. At the time we deployed it, approximately a year and a half ago, that there was a lot of information that we needed to gather. It wasn't explicitly called out to in the workflow as you were going through the screens.

We had to know what we were doing. We read a lot of documentation to get all of that information.

Stability is great. I found that with Cisco hardware in general, i.e. anything on the UCS or HyperFlex side.

The scalability is very good. Thus far, I haven't had to scale it out. In talking with my engineer, I'm very comfortable that when the time comes, we will be able to.

The technical support has been exceptional. We had some minor issues implementing it the first time. They were able to come in and help us out. We were up and running very quickly.

With any new technology, you hope that it is straightforward, but you expect some complexity. That is also true for HyperFlex when it was first implemented.

We were in between revisions and had some minor challenges. We overcame them very quickly.

When we were deploying it, it was between two revisions. It was between HyperFlex 2.5 and 3.0. There were some steps in the 3.0 version that weren't spelled out.

The engineers came in and helped us with that and we were able to overcome those challenges.

We did not use a vendor team. We took some courses through Cisco. We had our engineers come out and assist us.

We haven't seen a specific ROI. We've seen some across the board in separate environments for the data center and the VDI environment.

We haven't seen a return on the investment but the performance is something that we are very happy with overall.

It's roughly $30,000 per HyperFkex license, so that would be about $60,000 a year.

We looked at a couple of different types of solutions. Nutanix was the leading competitor with HyperFlex. We went with Cisco because of their years of experience with HyperFlex and the support we had previously.

What other advice do I have?

It was very straightforward using the technology platform. We were comfortable with it. In the VDI environment, we're a Cisco shop and HyperFlex did fit the need well.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate this product with an eight. Like any new product, it's constantly evolving. The evolution of the HyperFlex solution is a challenge.

I would recommend looking at the options when you go to implement it. Cisco's HyperFlex has a lot of different flavors. Make sure you pick the flavor for your specific implementation.

VDI has a different set of requirements than a standard hypervisor environment. Know what your end state is going to be, then pick the equipment behind the scenes that fit your needs.

MP
    IT Systems Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Gives us better computing power, better uptime, and easier management of the infrastructure due to it being a single unit

• "Cisco technical support is very skilled. From what I've had to access, there were quick responses and the necessary escalation."
    • "The initial setup of profiles and templates could be improved. Maybe some end profiles that you can use based on your type of deployment would be good."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series is storage that is integrated with the stack as a standalone mobile unit. There is less infrastructure required.

How has it helped my organization?

We have better computing power, better uptime, and easier management of the infrastructure due to it being a single unit.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility in the storage.

If you have experience with Cisco, or you have experience with the HyperFlex HX itself, then it's a lot easier. If you do deployment on your own, there's a pretty steep learning curve.

Cisco technical support is very skilled. From what I've had to access, there were quick responses and the necessary escalation.

We were approached by Cisco originally to try out the HyperFlex HX. They installed a very small deployment of it and we grew from that.

The age of our equipment dictated that we have to upgrade. It was becoming end-of-life. That's what precipitated the move originally.

The setup was neutral since I was just learning. It was a little complex, but once I understood the purpose of the profiles and the templates, it became a lot clearer and easier. I would suggest getting contract services involved to help with the initial setup of the product. The setup time to figure it out yourself, especially if you are brand new to it, is extensive.

We used a professional integrator.

I can't quantify, but it seems to have a very good return on investment. We kept the equipment for a long time and it's worked flawlessly for us.

Our licensing is hybrid. We have all of our applications for billing and outage management through this.

Something else that we used before was the IBM BladeCenter. It was fine, but it was not as flexible. We couldn't deploy it and expand as easily as the Cisco HyperFlex HX.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Cisco HyperFlex HX with an eight out of ten at this point. Only because I'm not as versed to it as I could be.

The initial setup of profiles and templates could be improved. Maybe some end profiles that you can use based on your type of deployment would be good, i.e. instead of having to go through and configure every portion of the template.

DR
    Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    Has improved our clients' ramp-up time to actually get their environment going

• "The ease of use and the graphical user interface (GUI) are two of the most valuable features of this solution."
    • "One aspect that really needs to be looked at, is to fix the bugs issue."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series primarily for VDI environments.

How has it helped my organization?

As I am the integrator for the Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series I've seen how it has improved my clients' ramp-up time to actually get the environment going.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

One aspect that really needs to be looked at, is to fix the bugs issue.

Stability is 50/50 at the moment, based on the implementation experience.

I am very impressed with the scalability of this solution. It's easy to scale.

I will rate the technical support an eight out of ten.

An initial setup is smooth when it's straightforward. When it has bugs, it's complex. With Cisco, we've experienced bugs with the software when we had to do updates and they were not fully documented.

I am the integrator.

Our clients have definitely seen a return on investment using Cisco. They've even expanded the nodes almost within the first three months.

The biggest competitor is Nutanix and we considered using that first but when Cisco upped their game, their process became a little bit more streamlined. The hardware clients are more familiar with that.

What other advice do I have?

Because of the bug problem I experienced with this solution, I will rate it eight out of ten.

FQ
    Sr. System Engineer at IBL-Unisys
    Easy to deploy and easy management for compute resources in collaboration with VMWare.

What is our primary use case?

• Customer POC
    • Client VMware environment testing.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to deploy and easy management for compute resources in collaboration with VMWare.

What is most valuable?

They have multiple storages connected with their environment, but the HX storage deduplication and compression feature is the best for the environment.

What needs improvement?

Single console management (like Hyperflex and FIs management).

I mean to say that, we need to log in 2 console one for vcenter and another for Hyperflex manager, this should be on same console page either hyperfex manager settings and monitoring in vcenter or vcenter can be managed by hyperflex console too.

100 / 100

Best from other competitor. (i believe )

i have face some issue during configuration and have support from Ciso TAC and thay have provide the best support with in time period.

i have configured Dell VXrail and i feel its little bit difficult yo configure then Cisco hyperflex. but the main advantage of VXrail is we dont need existing vcenter, it has its own vcenter cluster by default.

its inital setup is straightforward and easy, just need to understand the Ciso FIs configuration, one who understand that its easy for him.

i am working as a System Engineer for a vendor (IBL-Unisys Pvt Ltd) so i can surely say that we have experts in our organisation. :-)

initial it cost much but it will pay back with its scalability feature and performance.

in my opinion, i recommend Cisco hyperflex.

Dell VXRail, its good too but i like Cisco hyperflex because of its dedup and compression feature.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco-HX-Data-Platform-Installer should contain its own ESXi and VCenter installation during setup, so it can be fit in any organization where no virtual environment is available.

MatsHagberg Olsson
    Enterprise System Architect at SAAB Group
    The ability to configure BIOS remotely is game-changing and unique to Cisco

• "The UCS, which is by far the best management tool there is on the market, regardless of vendor. It's the only tool I see that gives you the opportunity to size and scale all the assets and capacity you have in your data center, from a unified view."
    • "Cisco provides the ability to configure BIOS, something that no one else can do, on a remote basis. That's really helpful sometimes. The bus-snooping alteration tool for BIOS is fantastic. That's one of the game-changing features that Cisco alone has at this point."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case was to set up a new VDI farm.

How has it helped my organization?

If you set up a cluster and then you decide a bit later on to split that resource into several smaller clusters, that's where UCS comes in and eases that operation better than anyone else that I've worked with. It provides better capacity utilization and a faster time to delivery. The cluster-splitting took about two hours while before, it took about four days. That's a considerable time savings in down-scaling and cluster spitting.

What is most valuable?

There are two most valuable features in HyperFlex:

• The UCS, which is by far the best management tool there is on the market, regardless of vendor. It's the only tool I see that gives you the opportunity to size and scale all the assets and capacity you have in your data center, from a unified view.
      • That Cisco provides the ability to configure BIOS, something that no one else can do, on a remote basis. That's really helpful sometimes. The bus-snooping alteration tool for BIOS is fantastic. That's one of the game-changing features that Cisco alone has at this point.

In addition, the density, how much performance you can pack into the form factor, that is most impressive for me.

Finally, there's no high learning curve. It's very easy. Sure, you should have some experience, of course. But it's not that hard to get familiar with the user interface and how to manage and operate it.

It's extremely stable.

The scalability is fantastic; I'm close to saying matchless. I've forgotten how many physical nodes were involved, but it was a substantial installation. Really large. It had the capacity to host 16,000 concurrent users. That's pretty sizable.

I haven't experienced Cisco tech support in person, since it all went smoothly. We didn't have any problems.

They were using Dell EMC VxRail. They didn't switch, really. Cisco's presence just started to increase.

I found the setup to be relatively straightforward, but I have some 20 years in the business, so that could be a factor.

The deployment took two days. The company is a VMware house, so all things come to VMware. So maybe that eased things too. But you have to have Cisco-Certified engineers mounting the stuff.

The implementation of HyperFlex required six people, including the server manager, me, and two guys from Tech Mahindra taking care of the VMware parts. And there were two Cisco-Certified engineers from a big partner in this region, named Atea.

They missed some tables in the delivery and that took us an extra day. But I don't think that's mandatory procedure. Overall, the implementation went very smoothly.

For maintenance it takes four people on a day-to-day basis with specified, divided roles. including some taking care of the VMware parts while I take care of the VDI-specific features. I would consider it a high-maintenance solution. It's not that it takes full-time support, not from that perspective, but you have to be pretty well skilled in software, setting up profiles, etc. That's not Cisco-specific.

I have had a really good and long experience with Atea as a partner.

This was my first acquaintance, in person, with Tech Mahindra and that was pretty interesting. You have to be somewhat aware of the caste system. It eases your dialogue.

ROI can be found in down-scaling time, which includes cluster-splitting, and the overall management, with the ease of UCS, compared to any other tool in that space.

It's hard to say there's a financial value since they're quite expensive. It's also a matter of OpEx and CapEx. Perhaps you pay up a little bit more, but to OpEx and CapEx will be lowered since the solution lasts forever and is easier to manage.

They are not the cheapest on the market. But there's an old saying I like to quote: "If you know that you are getting what you pay for, it's fine if it's expensive."

We compared two quotes. The other quote was from another big OEM, which is very closely tied to VMware. I was assigned to do that comparison since I have somewhat of a reputation as being good in sizing up the component base. I soon found out that the Cisco solution provided much higher density for the form factor than the other. Also, the server manager got a good feeling about the UCS by itself and the density. They were really good staff to work with and they have a high presence in the region. And they're really great in costumer care.

I know Cisco is working pretty hard to become a top player in the AI space. But I don't think Cisco has many competitors. There is Dell EMC and maybe Supermicro, which is always first on the market with all things new. Cisco is definitely one of the top three vendors.

Amulet Hotkey has some really nice products out there too. It's truly expensive if you want to go full frontal with everything that they offer. On the other hand, you can get there with almost the same, extremely high security level with Cisco products too.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the manageability. Do a serious comparison of management tools. That's strong advice because it can be really expensive too if you have to implement a third-party management tool.

In terms of extent of use, Cisco systems make up about 30 percent of the overall system, but it was definitely the plan to increase Cisco systems within the data center, meaning HyperFlex, because of the form factor and the density of it.

NM
      Divisional Manager - Engineering at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Scalability - adding nodes in a new data center as business divisions shift to it - is key for us

• "The feature that we are most interested in is the scalability. When needed, we are able to add more nodes and scale it up further."
      • "I would like it to be easier to manage the server, create VMs, and manage the VMs on the client."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as an application server and for storage.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we are most interested in is the scalability. When needed, we are able to add more nodes and scale it up further. That is the feature which we sought. All three nodes are similar and maintaining paths is easy.

Our company has various business divisions. One of the business divisions has shifted to a new location. Other divisions will join in the future. We have started a data center for the first division that shifted, and as and when more divisions join, we'll be adding more nodes. That is the reason we see scalability as an important feature.

Less than one year.

As far as the server is performing, everything is good. There have been no problems and no downtime. We haven't been using it a long time but up until now it has been stable.

Our technical support is done through our partner.

We were using more on the VMware side. This is the first time we are using HyperFlex. We had an HPE-based system which we replaced with this. It was HPE Simplivity but it was no good. We did not get good feedback about Simplivity.

The deployment was very fast, they completed it in a couple of days. Cisco ships all the servers pre-installed. It was pretty straightforward. We didn't really have an implementation strategy. It wasn't so complicated.

The deployment only required one person from our side - our server maintenance engineer - and one from the implementation partner.

The initial setup was done by our implementation partner, S.K. International. Initially they struggled a bit and then, finally, they did a good job.

They are maintaining it right now. We may take over after a year. We will have a person to do all the maintenance. We already have a team maintaining the other servers, so maybe we will have them do this too.

Initially HyperFlex was a little costly, it was higher, but Cisco wanted to get into our company, so they gave us a fair discount.

We have also gone for another setup from Cisco, which we should soon receive, the vGPU. On this second purchase they were not able to give the same discount.

We had various options. We looked at Dell EMC, Nutanix, and others. We also evaluated Simplivity, from HPE, and we finally ended up with HyperFlex.

With Cisco, the entire solution was from the same vendor, whereas with Dell EMC and Simplivity there were different vendors. Our main point was scalability. That's where Cisco scored well, but most important was a good price.

What other advice do I have?

There are around 250 users working on it right now. It is used for our manufacturing solution which collects information and Exchange data. There are other users who are using the storage.

We will expand its use in the future. As far as the compute is concerned, we will be using it to pick up 60 percent of the work. As far as the storage goes, we are only using ten to 15 percent. In the next few years we will expand and in the seventh year we may have to upgrade or replace the server.

it_user870954
      Pre Sales Manager at Vortex TI
      Helps our clients achieve better performance in VDI, clusters, and database consolidation

• "I love the Cisco design, the visual interface to manage and use the platform."
      • "Cisco has to continue improve the management tools to provide a better command line interface with more functions. That would be better for administration."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a solution architect and I use it to help my clients to achieve better performance in VDI solutions, in clusters, in database consolidation. The solution addresses these kinds of scenarios.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a large e-commerce client in Brazil. The company name is Sinova. This company has a lot of e-commerce portals. Every Black Friday in Brazil, before the HyperFlex implementation, the site would go down. The portals didn't have the performance ability to achieve the goals. After the implementation of Cisco HyperFlex, we added a lot of performance to these portals. We no longer have problems when high demand occurs.

Every year, we add one or two nodes to Sinova's web services clusters. The client uses the servers to support web servers for e-commerce.

What is most valuable?

I love the Cisco design, the visual interface to manage and use the platform. I love this kind of visual.

It is a great platform because it's easy to use. It's easy to put a business inside this box. It's so practical.

What needs improvement?

The stability is very good. I have never seen problems with the clusters or any component of the solution. It's very stable.

In terms of scalability, it is the best among all the competitors in the data center-hyperconverged world. We can add nodes to improve the compute of a cluster. We can add nodes to increase storage. We can grow a cluster up to 32 nodes.

The biggest that I have been involved in implementing was five nodes.

The initial setup depends on the business context. All the implementations that I participate in are a little bit complex. It's hard to integrate the platform with the client's data center network. The clients don't have the correct view for best implementing this solution. We need to help them understand, to provide the prerequisites. This is a little bit complex.

A deployment takes between three days and a week. A week is a good amount of time to understand, to implement it, to document it, and to help the clients understand it.

Our implementation strategy first requires us to write a good summary of the client's requirements so they will be using HyperFlex correctly. We need to understand the requirements. With this site survey, we can design the environment.

For a standard size of clusters with three nodes, two analysts is more than enough to implement the solution. After it's deployed and configured, one good analyst is needed to maintain it.

This kind of solution adds a lot of value because it helps the IT department to align with the business' view. We can participate, we can add value to the business because we do implementations faster and we can add compute and storage, many kinds of variables to the environment, very quickly and easily.

Here in Brazil, our point of view about the cost to implement or buy this kind of solution is that it is very expensive. It's very hard for almost all companies to buy even the small version of this solution. For me, this is the most negative point of the Cisco solution: the price and the licensing costs.

I have knowledge of VxRail from Dell EMC. I have also read about solutions from Hitachi and Super Micro. I haven't used them though.

To me, the key difference for me between the Dell infrastructure and Cisco infrastructure is that Cisco is more integrated. The hardware and software work the way I want them to.

What other advice do I have?

Collect all the information about the environment to determine the prerequisites, understand the business, and understand the value of infrastructure solutions.

We are a small partner. We have four clients right now that use the Cisco HyperFlex solution.

I would rate HyperFlex at ten out of ten.

Karuna Madhu Devandla
      General Manager of IT at Magma Fincorp Ltd.
      Requires fewer resources, such as just a single storage person, to manage it

• "There are some slight cost advantages when you need fewer resources to manage it."
      • "It needs improvements in terms of I/O. Sometimes I have felt it is slightly slow while we are trying to provision VMs or access VMs."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to deploy all our production and documents. We have deployed Hyper-V on top of HyperFlex and the majority of our operation is on Hyper-V. Major workloads are our e-commerce website and applications that are hosted on it. We have deployed database servers and document management systems and a couple of app and web servers.

How has it helped my organization?

There is no specific storage person required for this solution. There are some slight cost advantages when you need fewer resources to manage it.

What is most valuable?

The fact that it's hyperconverged is what is most valuable about this solution. There is no specific feature which I can name because we have only been using it for a very short time. We just started using it.

What needs improvement?

It needs improvements in terms of I/O. Sometimes I have felt it is slightly slow while we are trying to provision VMs or access VMs. They should concentrate on that issue. At the same, time L2 switches are bundled in HyperFlex. If they make that the L3 switch, that would enhance the performance slightly better.

Less than one year.

We deployed a couple of MySQL database servers and some portals which are connected and hosted outside on the internet and the deployment is still going well. So far it is stable and working fine. The deployment is still going on, the migration of further applications is happening.

Scaling, currently, is four nodes. Our plan is to add a couple of nodes next year.

So far, the technical support has been good, although we haven't faced many issues. While installing there were a couple of issues, otherwise everything has been fine and working normally.

This is the first hyperconverged solution we have used. We changed to HyperFlex because new requirements came in. Instead of moving towards a conventional infrastructure, we felt it was the time for us to look at, and to be involved with, the current trend in the market. These are the factors which made us look at this type of option.

The initial setup was very straightforward. After deploying the hardware, the engineer configured the HyperFlex software. On top of that, they gave us dashboard access where I could start deploying Hyper-V on those hosts and start provisioning VMs.

The deployment took a week. One person came from our Cisco partner. He understood our setup and planned what kind of support was required from our side. After providing the required information to him he started deploying the HyperFlex boxes.

It takes one person to maintain it after deployment. In our case he is a Windows administrator.

It was implemented by a Cisco partner from whom we got HyperFlex. Our experience with them has been good so far.

We negotiated with Cisco and we got some price benefit from that.

We looked at ScaleIO from Dell EMC and we also looked at Nutanix. We looked at those two options seriously. Finally, we settled on HyperFlex and we went with it.

The one thing we clearly saw was that this was that this was what we need. ScaleIO was more a type of software-defined storage, but the hardware which is underlying it is not really tested or already satisfactory for optimized performance. HyperFlex is something that is designed to be hyperconverged and tested thoroughly, and was satisfactory for these operations. This was the decision-making point for us to go with the HyperFlex.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and do it. It's a good product. Somebody with a similar environment and a similar experience should go ahead. But check thoroughly that fits your organization.

Our administration strategy is that one guy will be managing the complete dashboard. We are planning to see if there is automation where I can provide this through a DevOps tool. That's something I am looking at.

There is one main entity using it in our company. Our plan is to deploy this software to all other existing infrastructure as well. Within six months we should be fully implemented and deployed.

I rate the solution at eight out of ten because of the brand reliability in the market. They are the most trusted brand in the IT industry.

AZ
      Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Stable and robust platform that helps us to understand the customer's needs and what issues they can run into

• "This is not the only product we use, so we have other solutions to compare it with. We can compare different products and different vendors and tell our customers which products have which advantages and disadvantages so that they can leverage these products in their own environment. This product helps us to understand the customer's needs and what issues they can run into."
      • "The primary improvements should be made in the cluster storage controller VMs so that they don't break the upgrade process."

How has it helped my organization?

This is not the only product we use, so we have other solutions to compare it with. We can compare different products and different vendors and tell our customers which products have which advantages and disadvantages so that they can leverage these products in their own environment. This product helps us to understand the customer's needs and what issues they can run into.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration between our product and HyperFlex. We show our customers the integration between the backup and the deduplication solution that we offer and this CISCO hyperconverged solution.

What needs improvement?

The primary improvements should be made in the cluster storage controller VMs so that they don't break the upgrade process.

I would like to see integration with multi-site ACI deployments so that we can span clusters between multiple sites, with ACI running within each site.

The platform itself is very stable and robust, but when it comes to upgrading the system, it's not stable. The process of upgrading should be seamless so that the customer's data is not affected in any way. Nothing should happen to the customer's data during the upgrading process but we've had situations where the upgrade process did not go smoothly. We've had to open a tech case to solve the issues and sometimes we even have to evacuate the entire virtual machine clusters into another system.

Scalability was kept in mind when they designed this product. We can scale from really small deployments to very large deployments. The scalability is not an issue with HyperFlex, it scales better than Nutanix and other vendors.

Their technical support is really good. They are very professional, I cannot complain about the support. The only issue is that they will often only be available during time zones that don't work within European working hours.

The deployment was not hard. We deployed the full server installation with CISCO HyperFlex. The original version that we tried to deploy was something like 2.2. We ran into a few issues but we managed to solve them on our own, without CISCO tech. If everything goes smoothly the entire deployment can take only a few hours.

I did the deployment myself.

We see ROI every day. The return on investment is fantastic and is the primary reason why we deployed these clusters all around our site locations so that our SE engineers can show the customers.

We also use Nutanix and Pure Storage.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the issues with the upgrading process.

CI
      Sr Solution Architect at NetDesign
      The management of the system can be done in a centralized way but it should be more cloud-connected

• "Most of our users are Cisco customers, so it fits in within the suites we use. Primarily for me, as a solution architect, it's the technology and architecture that is the most valuable. I know from my technical colleagues that it's easy to use and for the customer, the up-time is the most valuable asset. It's running, has low failure, and so on which is why we use it."
      • "We are moving further out with more cloud solutions, so we need HyperFlex to be more cloud-connected. They should develop more connection to Amazon Web Services and Google cloud because our customers use their services and are moving in that direction."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in junction with unified communication solutions. It provides great flexibility for our customers to expand the solution. Also, the ease of management is why they use HyperFlex.

How has it helped my organization?

We have some large customer managing some large hospitals in Denmark and it's very easy to make changes and expand with solutions around the hospitals. The management of the system can be done in a centralized way which has been a benefit for us.

What is most valuable?

Most of our users are Cisco customers, so it fits in within the suites we use. Primarily for me, as a solution architect, it's the technology and architecture that is the most valuable. I know from my technical colleagues that it's easy to use and for the customer, the uptime is the most valuable asset. It's running and has low failure which is why we use it.

What needs improvement?

We are moving further out with more cloud solutions, so we need HyperFlex to be more cloud-connected. They should develop more connection to Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud because our customers use their services and are moving in that direction.

We've had some downtime, but it's 99.5% stable. They can trust it. Hospitals are 24/7 driven, so we need to have a high uptime which is why we use HyperFlex.

It's a very scalable product because they have about 150 commercial services, so the scalability is very high, and the uptime is great.

We use technical support if we have any issues or trouble with it. Cisco is always awesome. It's very easy to work with a Cisco tech.

Our customers know its time to switch solutions because of the demands from their users to deliver faster and to be more prepared for meeting their customer's needs. They're using my company and myself as a solution provider and a trusted technical adviser, so we work very closely with our customers in the decision making.

Our customers definitely see ROI. Cisco is involved each time we do a business case, and the customers today are very cost sensitive so they're looking for return on investment. That's also why they use Cisco because they can either expand the products or they can trade the products back to Cisco and get credits and then buy new products.

We also considered IBM and Dell EMC. They go with Cisco because they're using Cisco in most of their environments so it's the easy choice. As long as Cisco provides the technology and the features that the customer needs, they don't have the need to look elsewhere.

What other advice do I have?

I rated this solution an eight out of ten because there's still a little room for improvement.

I would advise someone considering this solution to connect with Cisco, use the resources that Cisco has. Be open, discuss with Cisco, discuss the architecture the customer designed, the customer demands, include Cisco all around, both the account managers, their technical solutions, the SEs, and so on. Use Cisco.

David Orozco
      Consultant at Italtel
      Has reduced the time it takes to put servers in production by half the time

• "It has reduced the time it takes to put the servers in production by half the time."
      • "They should have more blade options and more configuration flexibility. Also, the price is expensive. It should be cheaper but it is worth the price."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the distributed computing system in several data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The flexibility and scalability are the most valuable features.

It's very stable.

The scalability is one of its main features.

Technical support is very good.

We switched because we wanted more flexibility, more features and because the global PoC price is better.

The initial setup was complex because our engineers had some problems with putting it into production but it was fine after they solved the issue.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. The features that it has are balanced with customer's needs and the price. In order to make it a ten, they should lower the cost.

I would advise someone considering this solution to explore all of the feature options. The solution's value is in its features.

DS
      Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Good scalability and easy setup

• "Scalability is easy and simple."
      • "Their technical support is very bad. We had an issue where instead of an engineer we got a PDF "doctor" that didn't know anything about our problem which was very frustrating."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

Its simplicity has been a benefit for our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is scalable. It has many resources and is easy to expand.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the price. A lot of people complain that the price is an issue. For smaller countries, this solution is too expensive.

The stability has not really improved. Also, their upgrades are complicated. This is something that needs to be fixed, which I'm sure they'll do.

Scalability is easy and simple.

The setup is simple. We understand how it works so it's not a problem for us but I can imagine that for somebody who doesn't know UCS so well, the setup can be complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. The solution is not so bad. To get a ten, the upgrades should be smoother and without any problems so that we're not scared to do them. It could also be more traditional. It's hard to trust the new product especially because we've had issues with the upgrades. It may take some time but it is getting better.

You should try this solution, you won't regret it.

SM
      Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
      Stability is really poor, there have been disruptions of clusters which is a big pain point

• "The automation is a valuable feature, it's interesting."
      • "Stability is really poor, especially the storage stability. We lost data. There were disruptions of clusters and that's one big pain point of the solution. It's not stable enough, the documentation is not good, there's not much documentation available. For every call we need a tech engineer."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for data center virtualization.

What is most valuable?

There's high commodity stuff but nothing is very useful inside. The automation is a valuable feature, it's interesting.

What needs improvement?

Mostly documentation needs to be improved, we need strong documentation. We also want to not need to open a tech case every time we need to troubleshoot. Stability and storage need to be improved.

Stability is really poor, especially the storage stability. We lost data. There were disruptions of clusters and that's one big pain point of the solution. It's not stable enough, the documentation is not good, there's not much documentation available. We need a tech engineer for every call.

Scalability was cool on the marketing site but the two node clusters crashed. I'm not willing to build large scale infrastructure with this product because it's not stable enough.

Technical support is good but we need it for every piece we do. For every change, we need technical support. They are quick to respond and help us solve the issue.

We switched solutions because the market drives us, mostly Cisco drives us. They have high goals. Normally, we build up a classic converged infrastructure but now Cisco wanted us to deploy hyperconverged.

The initial setup is very complex.

We are partners so we integrate it ourselves.

We did not look at other solutions. We only focus on Cisco. We love Cisco and hopefully,  HyperFlex will become a better product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a four out of ten. I would advise someone considering this solution to be careful.

MM
      IT System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      We can't get a POC to work because there are big latencies between the two sites

• "The most valuable features are scalability and the easy operation - if it works. You can configure everything from just one window."
      • "They can't get a POC to work because there are big latencies between the two sites we have. Even though we have a private fiber connection and everything else works well, they can't get the two products to talk to each other. They are not able to build it up. It looks like it's a firmware issue. They said it isn't but now it's looking like it is. I hope we can sort it out."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to reduce our hardware storage and to make it virtual so we use vSAN and HyperFlex.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They can't get a POC to work because there are big latencies between the two sites we have. Even though we have a private fiber connection and everything else works well, they can't get the two products to talk to each other. They are not able to build it up. It looks like it's a firmware issue. They said it isn't but now it's looking like it is. I hope we can sort it out.

In terms of the stability, we can't get it to work. We have one or two VMs online but nothing we could say to get an overview of it.

In terms of scalability, we can add servers, storage servers or computing servers, and we're much more flexible with block-based storage.

We had one other block-based storage just run out of support and service so we thought we'd go with migration. We have a dual-vendor concept and so we wanted to go with vSAN and something else in storage so we chose HyperFlex.

The setup is pretty much is straightforward. The issue is that it doesn't work afterwards.

We integrated directly through Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a three out of ten. I would advise someone considering this solution not to spread it over two data centers.

JK
      Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Has reduced the cost of management and it has easy monitoring systems

• "The most important benefits that we've seen from this solution is that it reduces the cost of management and it has easy monitoring systems."
      • "A stretch function is really needed. Germans think that because of the high availability and the security that two data centers are better but we want edge all in one cluster. This is a needed feature, the cluster feature, and we'd also like to see a possibility for ROBO offices."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for desktop infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

The most important benefits that we've seen from this solution is that it reduces the cost of management and it has easy monitoring systems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that you can easily scale up and compute.

What needs improvement?

We had some trouble during the implementation, but it was one of the first versions and everything is fine now. Stability was only an issue at the beginning.

Scalability is really great because you can adjust the HyperFlex node. If you need more storage, you can add some more drives when it's not full at the beginning. Also, you have the possibility to edge the compute resources with the plates.

The first version was complex to set up because there were some open questions within the workflows. Now, the new installer is great. It's really great, really fast, and it's easy to set up.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Mohamed Elolemy
      Senior Presales Lead at Systems Engineering Of Egypt
      Enables workers to be more efficient and has significantly reduced the time it takes to complete daily activities

• "Our customers have seen ROI in terms of the time they save troubleshooting."
      • "I would like for them to develop integration with other technologies, like SD Access. It's still lacking an enhancement management player."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for many banks in Egypt.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved my organization because workers are more efficient and the time it takes to complete daily activities has been significantly reduced. It has also enhanced KPIs for the workers and the remote sites don't have any delay reaching the required data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's an all in one solution, requires low power, it's easy for management, and easy to implement and train.

What needs improvement?

I would like for them to develop integration with other technologies, like SD Access. It's still lacking an enhancement management player.

Stability is very good.

Their technicians are very qualified and supportive.

Our customers knew they needed to switch to this solution because we have had good experiences with Cisco. It has a strong presence in Egypt and a good technical support and sales team.

Our customers have seen ROI in terms of the time they save troubleshooting.

We also considered Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten, not a ten because nothing is perfect.

Solution0dea
      Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The high performance has saved us time and money but the technical support needs improvement

• "The ROI we have seen from the high performance that has saved us time and money."
      • "Technical support is very good. Not excellent, but good. There's still not enough data available on the web. For example, for the integration to VMware, I had a case recently and I searched for more information but didn't find any."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for data storage for the network.

What is most valuable?

Integration to third-parties is the most valuable feature.

Scalability and performance are good.

Technical support is very good. Not excellent, but good. There's still not enough data available on the web. For example, for the integration to VMware, I had a case recently and I searched for more information but didn't find any.

We knew we needed to switch solutions because we needed a solution with good performance, scanning, and an overall new and innovative solution.

We had some hardware problems at the beginning of the initial setup but after that was resolved the setup was straightforward.

We implemented through an integrator and had a great experience with them.

We also looked at Nutanix. We ended up going with Cisco because our whole network is based on Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would give this solution a seven out of ten because it's still new and I still haven't practiced a lot with it but I have had a good experience until now.

I would advise someone considering this solution to sit with your integrator, discuss the different products, comply with the competitors, and you will get your desired results.

MV
      Enterprise Architect at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It is flexible and can quickly deploy machines

• "The flexibility is its most valuable feature; the ability to quickly deploy a number of help machines. It is not constrained by what we want to do."
      • "I would like a lighter product; something which can be carried by a mere human. The typical size still looks like a stack of data center-sized servers, which is typically fine, but not so good if you want to carry it around."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case would be deployable mobile headquarters, headquarters on the move, where we can quickly deploy to our small user community and quickly create a mobile data center. This includes using business advantage communications.

How has it helped my organization?

We are in the architecting phase. We are looking at it being more agile in our deployed headquarters. We are in the testing and deployment phase.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility is its most valuable feature; the ability to quickly deploy a number of help machines. It is not constrained by what we want to do.

What needs improvement?

The product's disadvantage is that it is not necessarily open as I would like it to be. The main platform has some closed features that I would rather not see. For example, I need a mechanism to orchestrate services and an infrastructure as a service model, which is how we are deploying it. We would like to orchestrate it using an open, non-Cisco tool. While there is an API, in order to deploy it, we need to indicate it with a higher layer Network Services Orchestrator. This requires a lot of work to be done. If it could support a more open model, where we have standardized blueprints, templates, or virtual machines, it would be nice. This is an industry problem, not necessarily specific to Cisco.

Trial/evaluations only.

It works as expected.

Based on the bigger picture, scalability should be good. However, we haven't tested in on scale yet. On paper, it is perfectly fine.

The technical support is good.

Our other solution works perfectly fine. However, we do capability upgrades every so often. This is a trigger for me to determine if we are looking in the right direction. As our requirements to be more agile have increased over time when working with our previous system, we learned the system is too complicated. We needed something which is smarter and can be more automated, where a physical engineer use a template and let it run, then get a green light because the system works.

The initial setup was somewhat complex, but this was because of our requirements. We were pushing the physical structure beyond what Cisco could deliver. This made life a bit miserable for the engineer.

Cisco delivered the solution directly to us. They contributed skill, personnel, equipment, and prototypes.

We are looking at Microsoft, VMware, Cisco, and Dell EMC. In the end, we will make our decision on price and functionality.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a go. Work with their engineers and support staff to see if your solution fits. Challenge them to go a bit further than than their standard product.

CA
      Manager at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
      The product is stable and can scale

How has it helped my organization?

We use it mostly for our business customers.

What needs improvement?

Cisco should combine its features with its prices.

Less than one year.

The product is stable. No one complains about the stability, which is fabulous.

The scalability is okay. Our customers don't complain about it.

Our technical team said that this is the best solution for us.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was implemented three months ago.

Three months is too soon to see ROI.

What's my experience

How has it helped my organization?

We use it mostly for our business customers.

What needs improvement?

Cisco should combine its features with its prices.

Less than one year.

The product is stable. No one complains about the stability, which is fabulous.

The scalability is okay. Our customers don't complain about it.

Our technical team said that this is the best solution for us.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was implemented three months ago.

Three months is too soon to see ROI.

The price is a bit too high.

Our technical team made this decision.

What other advice do I have?

Be more careful if your technical person says, "It is necessary to implement and develop the infrastructure."

SV
      System Administrator at Provinzial NordWest
      It is absolutely stable, but the API could be improved for better integration with other systems

• "The possibility to share the workload is one of its most valuable features. We have many applications which have need of workloads only a few times in a month, so we share HyperFlex with them."
      • "We are working with a lot of different technologies and trying to manage them with one tool. The API could be improved for better integration with other systems."

What is our primary use case?

We are using HyperFlex for heavy workloads and virtual machines which are on a separate network.

What is most valuable?

• Past deployments
      • The possibility to share the workload. We have many applications which have need of workloads only a few times in a month, so we share HyperFlex with them.
      • The product works quickly.

What needs improvement?

We are working with a lot of different technologies and trying to manage them with one tool. The API could be improved for better integration with other systems. For example, the integration to VMware could be better.

Less than one year.

We haven't had any downtime. It is absolutely stable.

The scalability is good. We use the nodes that we bought, and they have really scaled out.

Cisco technical support often makes things too complicated. We have easy problems, but they want to WebEx and constantly testing. In the end, we have to exchange a disk and everything is okay. In the beginning, we said the disk is defect, but they want us to test and retest, before acknowledging the disk is defect and we can exchange it. That is a problem for me.

We worked for years with HPE services. We didn't see that they developed, so we looked for other vendors. In the end, we decided on Cisco and are now testing some Cisco technologies. The main technology for us is UCS. HyperFlex was an idea which came from our account manager. I said, "Okay, we can test it." We have a use case. Now, we are working with it.

From day one, it worked. The initial setup was okay.

Cisco helped us to deploy and integrate. Our experience with them was fine.

We are testing it on the slowest workloads. We think by sharing the hardware with several applications that we can save money.

We considered all the vendors. In the end, Cisco checked all the boxes.

What other advice do I have?

At the moment, Cisco is a good vendor, as far as networking solutions. I connect the servers to the network, and the compatibility is good.

We haven't tested the new container functionality. I hope it's good, because this is very important for us.

Florin Ramboiu
      Product and Project Manager at ETA2U
      The compute storage and virtualization come all in one box

• "The compute storage and virtualization come all in one box."
      • "We would like HyperFlex to connect the storage directly into Fabric Interconnect along with the features of the solution. We have enough ports in HyperFlex. We don't want to buy another set of switches to connect to Fabric Interconnect, complicating the solution."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is VDI and virtualization. We are testing it for VDI. For VDI, HyperFlex has been pretty useful.

How has it helped my organization?

Everything is in the solution. We don't have to connect to something else or pieces from somewhere else. We also receive centralized reports from it.

What is most valuable?

The compute storage and virtualization come all in one box.

What needs improvement?

We would like HyperFlex to connect the storage directly into Fabric Interconnect along with the features of the solution. We have enough ports in HyperFlex. We don't want to buy another set of switches to connect to Fabric Interconnect, complicating the solution. This change would be a great improvement.

We are happy with the stability.

The scalability is fantastic. It scales much more than we need.

We have not used the technical support yet.

Cisco let us know about HyperFlex. We receive training and liked it. We said, "Why not? Let's test it."

The setup is not easy, but it's not complicated. How you implement things can be complex.

We had some courses on it and followed them. So, we did the deployment on ourselves.

We have seen ROI.

We also evaluated VxRail from Dell EMC. However, we went with HyperFlex because it is a Cisco product.

What other advice do I have?

Give HyperFlex a try. Try a demo.

The solution is fantastic for VDI usage.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Product.
      FO
      System Administrator at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It is scalable and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is that we are coming from a legacy data storage network and need more flexibility in both storage and network consumption.

How has it helped my organization?

HyperFlex give us a lot of features and functionalities which are key for us. This also applies to the storage.

What is most valuable?

It is scalable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We would like to move off the GUI.

The system runs. It has crashed. We haven't experienced any issues.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It is scalable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We would like to move off the GUI.

The system runs. It has crashed. We haven't experienced any issues.

The scalability has been very good for us since we were stuck on our old platform with old drives and hardware. Hyperflex has given us flexibility where we can scale up and down, allowing our servers to react. We now can do large scales for data storage, which helps a lot.

I haven't used the technical support for this product.

We used a partner for the initial deployment who was keen and professional.

We considered Cisco HyperFlex and NetApp.

We chose Cisco because we are a Cisco partner. This way we receive the same scalability all around.

What other advice do I have?

Just go with HyperFlex.

it_user1003365
      Pre-sales Consultant Manager at Econocom
      The solution can scale up and out

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for clients who has issues with their infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

HyperFlex is compatible with VMware. This is good since we are also a VMware partner. In addition, the product is compatible with Hyper-V, which is another good solution.

What is most valuable?

It is a high availability solution.

The solution is stable.

The solution can scale up and out.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product is expensive. Other…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for clients who has issues with their infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It is a high availability solution.

The solution is stable.

The solution can scale up and out.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup is very easy.

The product is expensive. Other solutions are cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco has the best solution for hyper-convergence.

ZB
      Data Center Specialist at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
      By configuring networks, we are saving power

What is our primary use case?

This is brand new technology for us. We are using the ACI infrastructure in our company for the development of the HyperFlex servers.

How has it helped my organization?

By configuring networks, we are saving power.

We don't know yet, as it is new.

The scalability is perfect.

We are cooperating with Cisco, and so far, the technical support has been great.

The setup was complex because we integrated a lot of things: firewalls, F5 products, and ACI.

We did the deployment in-house with Cisco's help.

The…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

By configuring networks, we are saving power.

We don't know yet, as it is new.

The scalability is perfect.

We did the deployment in-house with Cisco's help.

The cost is expensive, but there is a chance to save money in the future.

The pricing is expensive.

We chose Cisco because it has perfect support with cool people who helped us the configuration.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco ACI.

Ole Johan
      Network Engineer at a tech services company
      With its storage system, we are now saving an enormous amount of space

• "The storage system is its most valuable feature. It has eliminated our entire need for having to worry about storage. We were storing a lot of syslog data and using a lot of templates in our data center. With the storage system, we are now saving an enormous amount of space."
      • "I would like to see more analytics. It could use better infographs in the HyperFlex Connect on how traffic is running in the network. If you were reaching any capacity issues on the Fabric Interconnects, it should be able to cool all of the servers and Fabric Interconnects, then possibly integrate it with, e.g., Nexus Series switches. This should all be available in a single pane of glass."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for people who are tired of messing around with old school solutions, like SANs and NASs, and want to improve the storage side of things in the data center.

What is most valuable?

The storage system is its most valuable feature. It has eliminated our entire need for having to worry about storage. We were storing a lot of syslog data and using a lot of templates in our data center. With the storage system, we are now saving an enormous amount of space.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more analytics. The storage data is just IP packets. It could use better infographs in the HyperFlex Connect on how traffic is running in the network. If you were reaching any capacity issues on the Fabric Interconnects, it should be able to cool all of the servers and Fabric Interconnects, then possibly integrate it with, e.g., Nexus Series switches. This should all be available in a single pane of glass.

I would also like a fast on-premise service. While there is Intersight, which does a lot, there is not the same clarity of information from Intersight, as with an on-premise service.

The stability is great. I can pull the power cord from one of my servers, and everything will keep on running. Then, the VMs will be automatically transferred to another server and the user won't notice anything. If we had two sites, we can down an entire data center without issue.

The scalability is good, though it used to be lacking a bit. Now, the HyperFlex system probably has the scalability to be able to cover every single customer in Norway and their needs. With how much it can scale, Norway doesn't have that customers with this many servers, at least in the same use cases or workloads using HyperFlex.

The technical support is good. We use 24/7 contracts and they have never been late. I would rate the tech support as a nine out of ten.

I did have one time where I had an engineer who was just running scripts. He was reading off a tablet (or something). However, that was a next-business day contract, and we were not working with a high-level engineer. We needed a high-level engineer, so we just escalated the case to receive a better engineer, then everything was resolved.

It would be nice to have more qualified support agents get assigned to HyperFlex cases, at least the initial case, not just someone reading off a script.

We had an old Cisco System, which was an internal company system. We also had an old UCS server, which was spec'd out, along with a bunch of other servers. When we were starting to lack in CPU, memory, and storage, we knew that we needed faster storage and networking. In addition, we needed more CPU and RAM with the possibility to scale.

Now, if we need a new node, we can just order a new node. Then, when we get the node, it takes an hour to put it up and we have a new node in the system.

We needed that scalability. We also needed to upgrade the data center. However, the reason that we chose HyperFlex instead of trying to build a system and making it work with open source software, was with HyperFlex, we receive Cisco tech support and services.

We chose HyperFlex because of everything that binds up into it: the scalability, reliability, and services.

The first time I did set it up, I deployed it with an existing UCS Cluster on the same Fabric Interconnect. This was not yet validated by Cisco. We had no information from Cisco how to do this. While it was coming, but we had a customer who didn't have spare FIs, so we had some problems. However, this was due to a configuration error from the team who had put up the SAN which was connected on the same FIs. So, the HyperFlex was okay. It was just configuration errors on the other one.

In the other deployments that I've done. It has been mostly just racking and stacking the servers, putting in some IP addresses on the Fabric Interconnects, going down to the office, sitting remotely on the good couch, and typing in everything, then pressing "Deploy". Afterwards, everything just runs smoothly.

I deployed it myself. I am the HyperFlex engineer.

The main purpose of our data center is to run our monitoring system, which uses huge databases. When we transferred the monitoring system, all of our logging servers, and everything to the HyperFlex system, we saved an enormous amount of data. We obtained a huge performance gain out of the monitoring system because it could cache the data more quickly. Everything went faster and obtained more space. So, we have definitely seen a large return of investment.

I would like a clearer licensing model. It should explain a bit more what you receive if you buy the more expensive license rather than the standard one. This would probably help in a lot of cases.

We were looking into a lot of open source and white box solutions before we chose HyperFlex. This was mainly due to cost because Cisco isn't the cheapest solution. However, we completely trust the system because we have all this knowledge about HyperFlex along with knowledge about all the other competitors. The way that HyperFlex does storage down to the bits and bytes is something that we feel that we can trust a lot more than its competitors.

The Virtual Interface Cards (VICs) which the servers use are only available through Cisco. There are no competitors in this area.

What other advice do I have?

Look for what your business needs are, what your data center is using, and keep in mind that all of the big vendors are doing hyperconverged. However, Cisco is the only one who is doing it with the network integrated. With all of the other vendors, you can have whatever type of network you want, but with Cisco, they include the network in the whole hyperconverged scene instead of pawning it off to another vendor. They are sort of forcing you to chose Cisco on the network. Yet, when you choose Cisco on the network, you get validated designs along with tried, tested solutions. The whole data center will come together in one single package.

Cisco was a little late to the hyperconverged scene.

The Fabric Interconnects integrates with UCS. The UCS servers are some of the best on the market. The UCS servers can manage all of the servers from the Fabric Interconnects, which is just phenomenal.

Alister Richmond
      Technical Director at Ping Network Solutions
      Allows us to create high availability between two private data centers

• "We used to have a single customer-facing data center, which was vulnerable to failure. This product has allowed us to create high availability between two private data centers."
      • "We had a bit of complexity to think about how to migrate our legacy infrastructure into Cisco HyperFlex."

What is our primary use case?

We use it on our customer-facing network management and customer portals. It is run between two resilient data centers and runs very well.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• High availability
      • Replication

Less than one year.

The stability has been really good. We haven't had any issues since it's been in production for the last six to nine months.

Scalability was one of the big selling points. Because we are using HyperFlex, we can add additional compute or storage resources without breaking the model that we have built.

I don't think we have had any issues, but the technical support that we have had has been good

We were using HPE SimpliVity. We knew we needed a high availability, resilient data center architecture. SimpliVity simply did not meet these requirements. This forced us to look around. Cisco had improved massively around HyperFlex. As a Cisco partner, it was a natural choice for us.

It was fairly straightforward to bring online. We had a bit of complexity to think about how to migrate our legacy infrastructure into Cisco HyperFlex, but this was more of a risk management process for us as a business, as opposed to anything relating to the technology.

We are a Cisco partner. We used ourselves and our professional services for our deployment. I have to say, "They worked great."

We would not have invested if we didn't feel the return was there for our customers.

We were mostly looking between Cisco and HPE.

We are a Cisco partner, so Cisco is a more natural choice for us. Feature-wise, Cisco was a superior product, so it was a simple choice.

What other advice do I have?

Work with Cisco and the Cisco partner. It is all about understanding your requirements. The product works well and supports your business. We recommend it.

Yasein Elalami
      Network and Security Engineer at Italtel
      Everything is in one device: computing, storage, and networking

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for our customer who was moving from classical storage and computing to the new HyperFlex system.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves space for data centers, which is good.

What is most valuable?

Everything is in one device: computing, storage, and networking.

It is quite new solution, so it is not very stable. However, that is okay.

It is very scalable. It is also easy to scan.

I had some issues that I had to solve myself because of the technical support.

The initial setup is very complex because there were some issues. It…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

It saves space for data centers, which is good.

What is most valuable?

Everything is in one device: computing, storage, and networking.

It is quite new solution, so it is not very stable. However, that is okay.

It is very scalable. It is also easy to scan.

I had some issues that I had to solve myself because of the technical support.

The initial setup is very complex because there were some issues. It is not clear to how set up this solution.

I did the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

Involve Cisco in the beginning, as they will give you good advice about setting up the product.

While it has a lot of things to improve, it is a good solution.

DS
      Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      We love its ease of use, ease of deployment, and combination with UCS

• "It is a hyper-converged solution which integrates with the network instead of the product."
      • "The storage layer seems to be a little better on the VMware than on HyperFlex side."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly in a virtualization environment with several VMs.

We use it with VMware, not Hyper-V.

How has it helped my organization?

It is good for administrators who want to administrate storage, their virtualization environment, and network. They have one solution with one overview, helping the people who administer the systems within the data center. They have one solution for one proprietor and maybe one solution provider to handle service requests, etc.

What is most valuable?

We love its ease of use, ease of deployment, and combination with UCS.

The stability works well. We have had no issues so far.

We had an issue on the customer side, where the wrong SSD piece was delivered. However, this has nothing to do directly with the HyperFlex solution. The technical support did make sure that the right piece was delivered on schedule.

One of our customers was given HyperFlex as a present from a telcom provider.

The deployment was very easy. It took about two hours, and the solution was ready to use.

We used vCenter for the installation.

Comparable solutions with switches, storage, and services are cheaper than HyperFlex. It should be cheaper.

Pantelis Rizos
      CIO at a energy/utilities company
      The initial setup was straightforward. Using partners and a consultancy, we didn't have any problems with the installation and parametrization.

• "The initial setup was straightforward. With our partners and the consultancy that we had, we knew what we wanted to do. Therefore, we didn't have any problems with the installation and parametrization."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using this product for a while. We wanted to use our current equipment and have been very excited with the results of our projects.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides good security.

We did not have stability issues until now.

We are trying to determine the product's scalability now as we are doing a new proof of concept with new equipment/products.

We haven't had any issues with the technical support. We have had good cooperation with our Cisco partners.

Two or three years ago, it was something that my colleagues proposed to me as a very good program in order to provide an overall solution. All of our equipment was based in Cisco technology, so we didn't have to make any changes.

The initial setup was straightforward. With our partners and the consultancy that we had, we knew what we wanted to do. Therefore, we didn't have any problems with the installation and parametrization.

We used Space Hellas S.A., which is a company from Greece and a Cisco partner, for the implementation. We have a very good relationship with them.

We have seen ROI from this product.

I would like the pricing to be cheaper.

We did not consider any other vendors beside Cisco because all our equipment is Cisco. The compatibility of staying with Cisco is relevant.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good solution. Find a good consultant and vendor to implement it before purchasing the software and equipment.

PC
        Senior Consultant at Daimler AG
        The latest models include all the newest cutting edge technology

• "It consumes a smaller footprint when I compare it with other competitors."
        • "Sometimes when there are multiple technologies involved in a support case, this is when there is a bit of a lag."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Cisco machines when it comes to the HX-Series product line (or category) in our organization. We are quite satisfied with the product because we primarily deal with Cisco when it comes to the compute and network parts.

How has it helped my organization?

The plus point of this particular product is its usability. The management of this particular machine is very good when I compare it with other competitors, like a model from HPE or Lenovo.

What is most valuable?

It consumes a smaller footprint when I compare it with other competitors.

What needs improvement?

Cisco should improve on having more technical documents available on their website, as well as keep them update-to-date. I would especially like to see more compute documentation.

I would rate the stability as high. The machines are stable and the downtime is minimal

The scalability is good. I can scale it on the fly. I don't really have to invest a lot of time in scaling up these machines.

Whenever I log a TAC case, I receive a good response from the teams, so the technical support is good.

Sometimes when there are multiple technologies involved in a support case, this is when there is a bit of a lag. This something which Cisco could improve upon. Otherwise, the technical support is really good.

It was more of an upgrade. We recently migrated the data centers in my organization and decided to have the latest models and technologies available in the market.

The setup was somewhere in-between straightforward and complex. The reason being our data centers do not carry a single type of hardware. We have an array of vendors implemented in our data centers. We have to mix and match, ensure the interoperability is tested before implementation. This takes some time.

I think we did hire consultants from Cisco.

When we did benchmarking on this particular product line, the results were great and quite amazing. This is why zeroed in on this particular product for many of our use cases. For example, we use these machines for SAP systems. We also use this for many of our cloud ready applications. The product is performing quite well.

We do have a large Cisco footprint in our organization.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product to have in your data centers. Pick a good use case, then do a PoC and perform your own benchmarking. Once you are satisfied, go ahead with the product.

The latest models include all the newest cutting edge technology.

IK
        Data Center Supervisor at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It has been great for the deduplication and compression of data, allowing us to save a lot of space

• "The compression and deduplication are very high. Therefore, we can use the size of the product more efficiently than other storage solutions."
        • "I would like to see them expand onto the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product right now for our virtual environment.

As the product develops, we are looking forward to utilizing the product on the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been great for the deduplication and compression of data, allowing us to save a lot of space.

If we wanted to deploy a virtual or new application, it used to take months to buy the product or hardware. Now, we can do it within fraction of seconds. That is time.

What is most valuable?

The compression and deduplication are very high. Therefore, we can use the size of the product more efficiently than other storage solutions.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them expand onto the cloud.

HyperFlex has been very stable. It was implemented at our bank a year ago and has had no downtime.

It is scalable. We recently added three more nodes, which went very smoothly.

The technical support is very good, especially from the Cisco side.

We were not previously using another solution.

The initial setup was straightforward when implementing the hardware and deploying the software.

We used a reseller called Data Consult from Lebanon for our deployment. Our experience with them was good.

We have saved a lot of money with this solution, especially with implementation because time is money. Implementing the solution on the same box saves a lot of space.

The price is a bit high. It could be better, but the product is worth the cost.

What other advice do I have?

Try it. The HyperFlex solution is perfect.

FH
        Network Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
        A good system to run our virtual machines and services on for high performance and high availability

• "You can administer things easily. E.g., if you need more power, you can add a system."
        • "There is a VMware plugin for HyperFlex, which sometimes it hangs up in our environment, and doesn't function well."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is virtualization on VMware. We have some virtual machines, which need a lot of computing power, and HyperFlex seems to be a good solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It is a good system to run our virtual machines and services on for high performance and high availability.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There is a VMware plugin for HyperFlex, which sometimes it hangs up in our environment, and doesn't function well.

We started in an early firmware version, so the software release version was a little unstable in the beginning. Now, it is good.

You can add a package to expand the storage space or machines if you need more machine power. If you don't look at the costs of the systems, the scalability is quite good.

I only had one tough case that I brought to the technical support, and they dealt with it quite well.

We have a lot of IBM Systems, which were getting older.

Our entire network is Cisco. There was also a good bundle for the HyperFlex system at the beginning when comparing price and value, and overall, it was a good investment. We received more performance for less money at the start.

A year before we set it up, relative to the software the release, there were a few things you could not know as a customer. This is why we used an integrator who knew how to use and follow command line commands that we couldn't know. However, I think this is now fixed.

For the first time that we installed, we used an integrator for the day.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at HyperFlex because it is a good system. Out-of-the-box, it runs quite well.

Carlo Poggiarelli
        Solution Architect at Teleconsys
        It can convert applications and improve performance

• "The technical support has been helpful. We are always able to get through to the right person."
        • "Some of our customers do not want to adopt the Cisco ACI solution. They want to manage Cisco HyperFlex by integrating it with their own management solution."

What is our primary use case?

It is to migrate our customer's solutions to a hyper-converged solution. This is the primary use case.

How has it helped my organization?

• It can convert applications.
        • It introduces the perimeter of the data center.
        • It improves performance.

What is most valuable?

• There is the possibility to speed up data access.
        • It can be auto-managed from Cisco ACI.

What needs improvement?

Some of our customers do not want to adopt the Cisco ACI solution. They want to manage Cisco HyperFlex by integrating it with their own management solution.

It is very stable.

The scalability is good.

Many customers already own a system for searching, e.g., an older UCS. They might be looking to integrate to a new tech solution or trying to build a new data center.

The initial setup is simple.

The pricing is a bit expensive.

Most customers select this product based on the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

For customers in the private sector, this product can have a very high return on investment.

RK
        IT Infrastructure Manager at Azersun Holding
        An easy out-of-the-box solution that one person can manage

• "When we use it for VDI solutions, it is very easy to deploy and support."
        • "The setup was complex, especially since we usually do all the planning, sizing, and workflows before integration."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in our production environment for some tasks, such as availability, easy scalability, easy setup, and independence from too many solutions put together. We use FlexPod as another one for mutualized infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy for one person to manage, and you don't need to have different expert specialists to configure your storage networking, on the server side, power side, etc.

It is an out-of-the-box solution. It can be used with little to large size equipment and make things work quickly.

What is most valuable?

Its most valuable features are:

• Its flexibility
        • It is a non-stop solution.
        • It is an all-in-one solution.
        • It is a cost saving solution.
        • When we use it for VDI solutions, it is very easy to deploy and support.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have an easy solution calculation to plan my infrastructure and complete my licenses. Because as of now, I have to read a lot of materials and documents.

We have been using this solution for about two years and nothing has happened. We have had no downtime yet. I believe it will work perfectly over the long-term.

It is very easy to scale with this solution.

Their tech support is very clear and easy to work with, and we haven't any problem with them.

We evaluated:

The setup was complex, especially since we usually do all the planning, sizing, and workflows before integration.

We always deploy all the solutions for our team. Because our market is not as large as in big countries, our partners sometimes do not seek out teams who can deploy difficult solutions. Since our company is one of the biggest in our country, deployments depends on very hard integrations between system. This is too hard for an external company because they would need to take a long time to understand what we need and how we need to deploy it. The easiest way is to have our own team.

Pricing is better if you buy more Cisco products.

What other advice do I have?

Don't afraid to try other solutions. Companies are constantly changing. Sometimes some little companies bring about the perfect solution for other products. You should research everything.

Cisco has a very wide range of products. You can build everything within Cisco products, and it will be easily deployable. The programming language is the same between it and other software and hardware companies.

RV
        Solution Consultant IBM Storage/Lenovo/Softlayer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        Key for switching abilities and more scalable than similar solutions

What is our primary use case?

Cisco is key for switching abilities. The management from the switches to the hyper-convergence solutions, such as the storage or server environment, is quite good and well-developed.

What is most valuable?

It is more high end versus other solutions, like Lenovo HX, but, Cisco partners are very loyal to the brand.

Cisco is more scalable versus other solutions in the same sphere. For example, Cisco is predominantly used with bigger companies. Lenovo HX is used for smaller sized companies.

What is most valuable?

I have prior experience with VMware, Nutanix, and Lenovo HX. I think that Lenovo HX is more user-friendly and easier to deploy versus the Cisco HyperFlex solution. Lenovo HX also has more market share in the middle sized business market.

Cisco is a bit more challenging to setup. You need to be knowledgeable in order to implement the solution. In comparison, Lenovo HX is very straightforward and easy-going.

Cisco is quite expensive but not in the initial first buy.

Fabio Vilches
        System Engineer with 51-200 employees
        Reseller
        It simplifies management for our organization

• "It is a solution that best suits thre needs of our organization."
        • "It needs more detailed documentation."

What is our primary use case?

It is an acceptable storage solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It simplifies management. I am sure we have not scratched its limit, but it helps us simplify everything well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is to simplify management. We can lower the need for people to work on the storage itself.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the capacity to choose the replications, RFS sectors to all machines, not only on the cluster. Additionally, the solution should provide more detailed documentation.

There are no problems with the stability of the solution.

It is a good, scalable solution.

We had to use technical support once. They were great.

It is really straightforward. It was not complex.

I think we are always looking for a vendor that is credible and solves our needs within the solution. This product answers those criteria. The vendor was credible and helpful.

We looked at VMware.

What other advice do I have?

When considering this product, evaluate it carefully. Note whether the environment is best for the solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller.
        TB
        Manager at EagleBurgmann
        User
        The software defines networking, storage, and processing

What is our primary use case?

Manufacturing and logistics software controls, ERP and document management servers, and database production and development servers.

How has it helped my organization?

Less rack space, decreased power and cooling costs, overall information technology team efficiency, and a single point of management.

What is most valuable?

The software defines networking, storage, and processing. Flash acceleration feature for most files.

What needs improvement?

Deployment scripts can be improved. Several clans need to be created before the deployment effectively works.

it_user827313
        Director, Network Engineering and Technology with 5,001-10,000 employees
        User

What is our primary use case?

Supports Cisco Virtual Appliances for videotelephony control plane, network monitoring, and network management.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to spin up and operate virtual machines without the overhead of managing a storage network.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

We are operating two clusters for site resiliency. I would like to support running redundant/resilient vCenter server instances on each rather than a supported external server.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

Product Categories
        Hyper-Converged (HCI)
        Download our free Cisco HyperFlex HX-Series Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.