Cisco IOS Security OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco IOS Security is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to Zyxel Unified Security Gateway: Cisco IOS Security vs Zyxel Unified Security Gateway

What is Cisco IOS Security?
Cisco IOS Software delivers a sophisticated set of security capabilities for a comprehensive, layered security approach throughout your network infrastructure. Cisco IOS security technologies help to defend critical business processes against attack and disruption, protect privacy, and support policy and regulatory compliance controls.

Cisco IOS Security is also known as IOS Security.

Cisco IOS Security Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco IOS Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cisco IOS Security Customers
Arup Group, Brunel University London, City of Biel, Gobierno de Castilla-La Mancha, K&L Gates , New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Offshore Northern Seas, Transplace
Cisco IOS Security Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SH
Senior Engineer Data Center at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A straightforward initial setup with good technical support

How has it helped my organization?

This has improved the way our organization operates very well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support that we get.

What needs improvement?

In the next release of this solution, we would like to see support for the 100BT and 7000 models. We have experienced bugs in the solution.

This solution is stable.

I would rate the scalability of this solution at about eighty percent.

Technical support for this solution is very good.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward.

We…
RH
Director Network Engineer at Therap Services
Offers good security and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is internet security at the edge.

• "The stability of this solution is excellent."

What other advice do I have?

My rating for this solution is a ten out of ten because it does everything I need and it is easy enough to use. My advice to others is to definitely have it on their list of vendors to take a look at. I really recommend this solution.
    Learn what your peers think about Cisco IOS Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
    534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    OM
    Senior Pre Sales Engineer at IKUSI
    MSP
    Gives us better efficiency and is a secure option for platforms and gateways

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to connect branch offices and keep the security on each one.

• "Cisco IOS allows us to keep the same security features as our principal offices."
    • "I think setup could be one area for improvement, because sometimes we don't have people inside so we have to move to the place."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that this is a very secure option for platforms and gateways using the Cisco IOS security feature. I would rate Cisco IOS as ten out of ten.
    Salim Almusalhi
    Network Engineer at PART
    Has good routing features and is easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco IOS for security prevention. It enables us to check the network.

• "I've found their network routing to be very good."
    • "I wish it would be more like the next generation firewall technology. There should be more selection between the application and filtering."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to take this firewall. It is really good. I would rate Cisco IOS as eight out of ten. The next-generation firewalls, like UTM, have paper-thin single boxes. They should follow the same projects, like the next-generation firewall. They have everything like 40GBs in a single box, along with filtering applications, like VPN and SSN. They also have reporting features.
    VR
    Product Manager - Wireless / IT Support Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Straightforward initial setup and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

Since we do system integration, we have a lot of clients we deploy. There is not really a single case to point to because we have multiple clients. It depends and can vary from customer to customer.

• "You can scale it when you need to."
    • "If they could increase the performance a little better because the device sometimes gets slow."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice, I would suggest others should use it. It is quite a good product, it is one of the market leaders. I believe it could be as good as other solutions. There are two things you require: one is support and the other one is credibility. Both are there with this product. I would rate this solution eight out of ten.
    Fadil Kadrat
    Network Engineer at Banque des Mascareignes
    Scalability suits all enterprise needs, but it could use a better interface

• "The VPN is the most valuable feature."
    • "The routers, don't have like long-term tendency features, or higher availability features available for the IOS. It could also use a better user interface."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is one of the greatest. The Cisco stack is the best. If you don't know it, don't go for the solution because it gets very complex. If you are new to the security, don't go for Cisco. But if you are experienced and you know how to do it, it's one of the greatest solutions. I would rate this solution 7 out of 10. The solution is always stable, but there are many security features that Cisco is behind on today.
    CE
    Solution Architect at Bilicha Technology
    Supports mobile devices on an enterprise network firewall including iOS and Android

What is our primary use case?

I use Cisco IOS Security. We install it for people. We have a very small network station. We don't use Cisco IOS Security very often, but we install it for clients. We use Cisco IOS Security mostly for routers to route off the firewall. It's a next-generation device. With firewalls, we can connect the solution for the mail cloud. We've deployed with Fortinet FortiGate. We don't use it much. We use Cisco IOS Security to manage for enterprise clients. Our primary use case for this solution is in the insurance industry.

• "We use Cisco IOS Security mostly for routers to route off the firewall. It's a next-generation device."
    • "Most of their features are meant for Cisco. You cannot integrate them with any other vendor."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate Cisco IOS Security at 9/10.
    FA
    Networks Lead Engineer at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Increased endpoint security but is overall a very complicated product

What is our primary use case?

We use it for endpoint security, to control access to our edge level. Basically, Cisco IOS checks the identity of each endpoint (printers, etc.). There's a specific group allowing the printer to immediately connect to the network. Also, if there is a laptop, for example, then the IOS will tell you, okay this is a laptop, please add the user name and password to access the network. Once it gets authenticated with IOS, they will still do something like posturing, checking the compliance list. For example, if a laptop doesn't have an updated antivirus or updated patches - if it's non-compliant… more »

• "Previously, anyone in the organization would see any data point in the wall. They could just go and connect their machine with that data point and could access the network. But now, even if someone came and tried that, they will not be given access."
    • "We have a very bad experience on the support. They take too much time requesting logs, and they are not coming directly online to resolve the issues."

What other advice do I have?

Even now, we are not fully utilizing the features because it'll add complicated things. I would rate this solution 7 out of 10 because of both support and interface. After this experience, next time in any project we are going to go more secure.
    FadilKadrat
    Network Engineer at Banque des Mascareignes
    Enables us to securely transfer data over the internet network but I would like the ability to automatically load balance

What is our primary use case?

I usually use it for GRE channels and VPNs. Is very stable and is a good solution. It has been stable.

• "I'm able to transfer data over internet network security. With the GRE I'm able to transfer data within one bunch to another bunch in a public way, like the internet. The communication is encrypted and is private. It gives me added privacy."
    • "There's a technology called SD-WAN that we would like to see. We are unable to handle multiple connections or to automatically load balance. I would like to have a feature that enables us to automatically prepare for load balancing."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product you just have to have someone that really knows how to configure it otherwise it's going to be a nightmare. I would rate it a seven out of ten.
    DH
    Operational Risk Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Scalability and some enhancement to our security posture have been key for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it for routing and switching, VPNs, connectivity to some degree, and firewalls.

• "The most valuable feature is the scalability. The nice thing with the bigger vendors is that they're very good at scale."
    • "I would like to see much more embedded security that works and that isn't a bolt-on."

What other advice do I have?

Look at this solution and figure out what you're trying to accomplish. You should probably augment it with some other vendors as well. I'm not a big single-vendor type of person. I don't think anyone does it perfectly well. With Cisco, you bring them in for their core competencies which are routing, switching, and virtual networking. Then you augment it with some security vendors that have been doing security the entire time. I would rate it at eight out of ten. It's not a ten because of the criticisms around security.
    Dmitriy Ronkin
    Networking Specialist at Transportation
    EEM is a valuable feature for turning a Cisco device into a programmable device.

What other advice do I have?

The competition (like Juniper) do offer similar approaches (scripting capabilities, but I did not look into the details). The question is that in many cases, users are not extending their expertise to adopt these money/time-saving features that vendors provide with their OSs.
    it_user5274
    Network Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good features. But when I converted it into a zone-based firewall, CPU utilization shot up and network performance slowed down.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco IOS security feature is the most robust and simple security facility which nice and small to implement. It helped me protect my network from external and internal attack.
    it_user1998
    Infrastructure Expert at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
    The Best network security OS

What other advice do I have?

The best OS from my point of view in Cisco IOS is Advanced IP Services. This OS has changed the definition of network security by using the router. The use of VPN concentrator is coming to an end because this OS can handle any kind of VPN using the router, so no need of VPN concentrators.
    Download our free Cisco IOS Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.