Cisco IOS SSL VPN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco IOS SSL VPN is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top SSL VPN tools. It is most often compared to Pulse Connect Secure: Cisco IOS SSL VPN vs Pulse Connect Secure

What is Cisco IOS SSL VPN?
Cisco SSL VPN solutions help you easily and securely extend the network to users who have access to the Internet and a web browser. You can customize access and extend the reach of your corporate network to individuals based on their roles, including teleworker contractors and business partners.

Cisco IOS SSL VPN is also known as Cisco SSL VPN .

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cisco IOS SSL VPN Customers
MST Systems
Cisco IOS SSL VPN Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco IOS SSL VPN pricing:
  • "There are no pricing programs for non-profit organizations and the product is otherwise expensive by comparison."

Cisco IOS SSL VPN Reviews

MR
ITC Administrator at a non-profit with 11-50 employees
Stable solution that provides secure access to your network and applications

• "A reliable and stable solution for remote network access."
  • "The pricing is a stumbling block to scaling our utilization of Cisco products and we would prefer to use more of them."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco SSL VPN mostly as a secure way to access our business applications remotely.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a solution for our secure remote access.

What is most valuable?

Usability is the most important feature for me. The stability is really good and it is very important to usability. I think this product is number one for stability. At the end of the day, the speed depends on stability. Once the solution is stable that means the speed is also okay. But really it matters the base connection.

What needs improvement?

I am mostly satisfied with the product. The biggest issue and the reason we do not make more use of it is the pricing. If Cisco can provide us discounts like Microsoft we could make better use of the product. There are other organizations providing discounts to non-profits. They realize the need, and they are creating programs. Microsoft has discount programs for non-profits. With Amazon, we have joined a special program where they are providing us services at a discount for non-profit. Cisco is quite expensive in comparison. So we decide to use what makes the most sense for our model. We see that there are these offers and we decide to use Amazon for some purposes.

So if Cisco did have a similar program — a non-profit program — it would be great for the utilization of other products as well. We don't have a big budget like enterprise businesses and we budget more like a small business does. But at the moment, for Cisco, we pay the same price that everybody else pays. If they had programs for non-profits, more non-profits would join the program and make use of their services.

We would like to expand to use many other products from Cisco as well. We need them. But we're not able to choose them because of the pricing. We want to use the Cisco products because they service the enterprise level and we would like to have Cisco firewalls, switches, and everything. Unfortunately, the pricing is making us get out from incorporating Cisco products.

We have been using the product a little over four years.

As for stability, it is one of the best features of the product. A stable connection is the reason we use the product.

We have roughly fifty users who are using it at the moment. Initially, we started with only a small number of users. So the usage of the product has been pretty scalable. At the moment we are not planning to scale our usage of Cisco products more, but that need depends on the business growth and the number of staff who need access. Things may change.

We have not really used Cisco's technical support because local support is good enough for us. After it is set up and stable then it doesn't really need much maintenance or attention.

For us, in using the local support the wait is sometimes quite a long time. But it's okay for us.

I have used Fortinet as well and that product is stable as well. It is another solid, stable solution. They provide similar stability, features, and functionality. There are some other products we still use for other things because of Cisco's lack of discount programs for non-profit organizations.

The initial setup for the VPN straightforward. It is user-friendly and easy for someone to set up.

We didn't require any assistance for the setup or implementation. We did it ourselves. It was really quite simple.

The product is a bit expensive compared to some other products. If they could lower the prices, it would be great.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco does have really good products and good services but pricing is not allowing us to take advantage of their enterprise solutions.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I think Cisco SSL VPN is an 8.

Osvaldo Moderno
Researcher at University of Sao Paulo
Simple to use, easy to install, and useful for working from home

• "It is very simple to use, and it allows me to get into the university's network from my home, which is very useful for me."
  • "When many people are using the internet at home, which is usually right after dinner, this type of service is a little bit hard to use. The internet becomes quite slow, and sometimes, I have to stop using this application. I am not sure if this issue is because of the application or my internet provider."

What is our primary use case?

I am a researcher, and I am doing my master's in administration. To do the research on the web, I need to get into the database of some sites. As a researcher, to get the most content or see all of the content of the sites, I need to access these sites through my university's network. That's why I use this VPN. If I use my internet connection at home, I would have different access to the data.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows me to use and access the entire content of the site. I can access any kind of content from home for my research. Before the pandemic, I used to use the VPN in my house just at night, but now, I am only working from home, and I use it every day for eight to ten hours a day. It has allowed me to work from home.

What is most valuable?

It is very simple to use, and it allows me to get into the university's network from my home, which is very useful for me.

What needs improvement?

When many people are using the internet at home, which is usually right after dinner, this type of service is a little bit hard to use. The internet becomes quite slow, and sometimes, I have to stop using this application. I am not sure if this issue is because of the application or my internet provider.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is stable.

We have an internal IT support team. I contacted them just once in two years. They were very helpful and great. They are doing a great job. They have an internal site with all the information, which was very useful in resolving the issues on my own.

It is very easy to install. I used the information available on the university's site to get it working on my machine. It took 10 to 15 minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I am completely satisfied with the solution. I would rate Cisco IOS SSL VPN an eight out of ten. It is a good solution.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Pulse Secure, Citrix and others in SSL VPN. Updated: September 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Takao Kobayashi
Project Manager at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Facilitates remote access and working from home, but the token software will no longer be supported

• "It's a stable solution."
  • "The system needs to be upgraded to replace the Token Authentication software, which will no longer be supported."

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We provide remote access solutions, internet access, and Voice over IP for our customers, as well as IT operational support.

We use this solution to access their on-premises server from outside locations for situations such as working from home.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Cisco IOS SSL VPN for two years.

It's a stable solution. We are using the latest version.

I believe that this solution is scalable.

Some of the solutions that our customers are using are Microsoft 365, Cisco VPN Access, and Cisco AnyConnect with the physical USB Token to input the password.

The Token support will expire soon. Currently, we are researching similar solutions.

We are always researching new products to provide to our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I can't say that I would recommend this solution at this time because the support for the Token software is expiring soon and Cisco IOS SSL VPN would have to be upgraded to another solution similar to Token.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
MiguelRomero
Founder and CEO at Aerium Proyectos y Consultoría
The security is effective but the administration needs to improve

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is security. It is very effective and I am satisfied with how it works and with its performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature about this solution is that the client can connect from his house to the office. It does, however, take some time to configure.

What needs improvement?

The administration should be improved.

I've been using Cisco for many years now, on cloud and on premise, so I am an experienced user.

The last deployment we did, was for a customer about three months ago. The customer has three branches and we deployed Cisco SSL VPN and I think it is stable.

What do I think about the

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The administration should be improved.

Cisco has good products and the products have good scalability. Some of my clients have more than 60 users!

The technical support department is very good.

The initial setup is easy, but the complicated part is to configure out what the customer wants. Clients need assistance from integrators or consultants for the deployments, so the customer usually calls my company or calls me to deploy the Cisco solution for them.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to 10, where 1 is the worst and 10 is the best, I would you rate Cisco SSL VPN a seven.

RM
Senior System Administrator at AB Mauri India Private Limited
Easy to use, scalable, and has great technical support

• "It is a product that is very robust and durable."
  • "It would be nice if we could use this not just on mobile, but on laptops and desktops as well."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

It is a product that is very robust and durable.

The solution is stable.

The product has been scalable.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

Only its mobile-based application is available right now. We cannot use it, for example, on laptops. That's the only drawback. It would be nice if we could use this not just on mobile, but on laptops and desktops as well.

I've been using the solution for the past six or seven months at this point. It hasn't quite been a year yet.

There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is very scalable. You can expand it if you need to.

I've found the technical support to be excellent. they are helpful and responsive. We are very satisfied with the level of attention we receive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been pretty happy with its capabilities.