Cisco IOS SSL VPN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco IOS SSL VPN is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top SSL VPN tools. It is most often compared to Pulse Connect Secure: Cisco IOS SSL VPN vs Pulse Connect Secure

What is Cisco IOS SSL VPN?
Cisco SSL VPN solutions help you easily and securely extend the network to users who have access to the Internet and a web browser. You can customize access and extend the reach of your corporate network to individuals based on their roles, including teleworker contractors and business partners.

Cisco IOS SSL VPN is also known as Cisco SSL VPN .

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cisco IOS SSL VPN Customers
MST Systems
Cisco IOS SSL VPN Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco IOS SSL VPN pricing:
  • "There are no pricing programs for non-profit organizations and the product is otherwise expensive by comparison."
  • "I would say it is a bit expensive, but I think it is worth the price."

MR
ITC Administrator at a non-profit with 11-50 employees
Stable solution that provides secure access to your network and applications

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco SSL VPN mostly as a secure way to access our business applications remotely.

• "A reliable and stable solution for remote network access."
  • "The pricing is a stumbling block to scaling our utilization of Cisco products and we would prefer to use more of them."

What other advice do I have?

Cisco does have really good products and good services but pricing is not allowing us to take advantage of their enterprise solutions. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I think Cisco SSL VPN is an 8.
Osvaldo Moderno
Researcher at University of Sao Paulo
Simple to use, easy to install, and useful for working from home

What is our primary use case?

I am a researcher, and I am doing my master's in administration. To do the research on the web, I need to get into the database of some sites. As a researcher, to get the most content or see all of the content of the sites, I need to access these sites through my university's network. That's why I use this VPN. If I use my internet connection at home, I would have different access to the data.

• "It is very simple to use, and it allows me to get into the university's network from my home, which is very useful for me."
  • "When many people are using the internet at home, which is usually right after dinner, this type of service is a little bit hard to use. The internet becomes quite slow, and sometimes, I have to stop using this application. I am not sure if this issue is because of the application or my internet provider."

What other advice do I have?

I am completely satisfied with the solution. I would rate Cisco IOS SSL VPN an eight out of ten. It is a good solution.
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Pulse Secure, Citrix and others in SSL VPN. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HG
Architect at Devoteam Belgium
The management portal is good but the graphical interface needs to improve

• "The feature I find most valuable, is the management portal."
  • "The graphical interface is old and needs to improve."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that, if they are going in the cloud, they can use other products from the cloud too. In the next version, I would like to see central management, because sometimes you have more than two or three devices. If we can have a solution that can manage all these devices, that will be great. For example, if you need to update one device, you can just do it from one place without having to update all of them separately. On a scale from one to ten, I rate this solution a seven.
Simbarashe Mazorodze
Solutions Architect at Terrific Tech
It is stable and we find it easy to work on

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to connect to our LAN, so that our users are able to access the necessary applications that are designed to be used on-premise. We predominantly use Cisco products and we find it very easy for us to use.

What needs improvement?

I think the administration can be improved to include web interfaces. And I also feel that the deployment of the clients can be better.

I have been using the solution for the past six years now on premise.

It's a very stable solution and I'd say it works perfectly. The only issue may be ensuring that connectivity between the Cisco Firewall and the access directory should be maintained.

What do I think about

AH
IT Network Engineer at Brunnel
An easy to use solution with good configuration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for remote access for my clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to work with. This is its most valuable feature. They also did a good job surrounding how you configure the devices.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to solve the issues they have with Java. Cisco device management is quite difficult. They should work to simplify this.

I've been using the solution for almost four years.

In terms of stability, I think it would be nice if Cisco could manage their Java problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it requires troubleshooting or you need to take the time to update in order to fix the Java…
Takao Kobayashi
Project Manager at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Facilitates remote access and working from home, but the token software will no longer be supported

What is our primary use case?

We are solution providers. We provide remote access solutions, internet access, and Voice over IP for our customers, as well as IT operational support. We use this solution to access their on-premises server from outside locations for situations such as working from home.

• "It's a stable solution."
  • "The system needs to be upgraded to replace the Token Authentication software, which will no longer be supported."

What other advice do I have?

I can't say that I would recommend this solution at this time because the support for the Token software is expiring soon and Cisco IOS SSL VPN would have to be upgraded to another solution similar to Token. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
MiguelRomero
Founder and CEO at Aerium Proyectos y Consultoría
The security is effective but the administration needs to improve

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is security. It is very effective and I am satisfied with how it works and with its performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature about this solution is that the client can connect from his house to the office. It does, however, take some time to configure.

What needs improvement?

The administration should be improved.

I've been using Cisco for many years now, on cloud and on premise, so I am an experienced user.

The last deployment we did, was for a customer about three months ago. The customer has three branches and we deployed Cisco SSL VPN and I think it is stable.

What do I think about the

AP
Information Technology Manager at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up and the technical support is very good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for business operations.

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The pricing needs to be better."

What other advice do I have?

Nothing is perfect and my advice to others would be to look at their requirements before they choose a solution. Cisco has been tested and used widely so there are virtually no issues in terms of selecting Cisco. But it's up to each client to determine what they need when it comes to things like trafficking. Additional features that I would like to see included in the next release of Cisco VPN is that it should be compatible with all the devices like mobile devices, laptops, or iPads. On a scale from one to 10, I will rate this solution an eight.
See 3 more Cisco IOS SSL VPN Reviews