Cisco IOS SSL VPN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco IOS SSL VPN is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top SSL VPN tools. It is most often compared to Pulse Connect Secure: Cisco IOS SSL VPN vs Pulse Connect Secure

What is Cisco IOS SSL VPN?
Cisco SSL VPN solutions help you easily and securely extend the network to users who have access to the Internet and a web browser. You can customize access and extend the reach of your corporate network to individuals based on their roles, including teleworker contractors and business partners.

Cisco IOS SSL VPN is also known as Cisco SSL VPN .

Download the SSL VPN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Cisco IOS SSL VPN Customers
MST Systems
Cisco IOS SSL VPN Video

Archived Cisco IOS SSL VPN Reviews (more than two years old)

US
Network Security Engineer at a government
Very easy to install and you don't need a username or password

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution as browser and I like that you don't need a username or password to browse.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes browsers are not able to support a certain file, so that is something that can improve.

I have been using the solution for four years on premise.

The solution is stable if you have a stable internet connection.

The setup and installation was easy. We had the help of a Cisco integrator, because one needs support from the system team to access your server and your VPN. So you basically have to know all the information about the server if you want to have access.

What's my experience with

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for four years on premise.

The solution is stable if you have a stable internet connection.

The pricing of the solution is reasonable - G Grade.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I give this solution an eight. In the next version I would like to see easier installation that allows a default to open un-trusted servers. The servers should be more user-friendly too.

Simbarashe Mazorodze
Solutions Architect at Terrific Tech
It is stable and we find it easy to work on

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to connect to our LAN, so that our users are able to access the necessary applications that are designed to be used on-premise. We predominantly use Cisco products and we find it very easy for us to use.

What needs improvement?

I think the administration can be improved to include web interfaces. And I also feel that the deployment of the clients can be better.

I have been using the solution for the past six years now on premise.

It's a very stable solution and I'd say it works perfectly. The only issue may be ensuring that connectivity between the Cisco Firewall and the access directory should be maintained.

What do I think about

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for the past six years now on premise.

We have about 450 up to 750 users connected to the VPN. I don't see us increasing the number of users because we are trying to migrate some of our applications on the cloud, and we use cloud VPN.

We work directly with local Premier Partners for Cisco, and they help us in terms of scoping the solution and checking our implementation.  So I think that's how we contact Cisco support indirectly. But we also have instances where we contact Cisco directly, should we need other support, but it's really very rare. Most of the solutions features work perfectly.

Most of our configurations are done by our Cisco Premier Partner, but it's relatively easy to set up Cisco SSL VPN.

I would say the price is high in terms of other solutions, but I believe it's worth the price for enterprise customers. The stability matches the pricing. So I would say it is a bit expensive, but I think it is worth the price.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I will rate this solution a nine.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Pulse Secure, Citrix and others in SSL VPN. Updated: September 2021.
542,267 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AH
IT Network Engineer at Brunnel
An easy to use solution with good configuration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for remote access for my clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to work with. This is its most valuable feature. They also did a good job surrounding how you configure the devices.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to solve the issues they have with Java. Cisco device management is quite difficult. They should work to simplify this.

I've been using the solution for almost four years.

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for remote access for my clients.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to solve the issues they have with Java.

Cisco device management is quite difficult. They should work to simplify this.

I've been using the solution for almost four years.

In terms of stability, I think it would be nice if Cisco could manage their Java problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it requires troubleshooting or you need to take the time to update in order to fix the Java issue.

I have contacted technical support in the past, but nowadays our company is not allowed to contact Cisco directly because we don't have a contract with them. Intermediary companies can, however. In the past, I have been satisfied with the level of service I've received.

If the person setting up the solution understands the underlying technology, they won't have trouble with the initial setup of the product. It's a bit complex. Besides following the steps of the setup, you have to understand what you are doing, otherwise, you can get lost in the process.

I'm a Cisco engineer, so I was able to implement the solution myself.

What other advice do I have?

I use the on-premises deployment model. I've worked with Cisco products for 15-16 years.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Umit Akarsu
Presales Engineer at E-DATA TEKNOLOJİ
Stable with good technical support and a good command line interface

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is to connect offices to their services through the VPN tunnel. The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to create. I like to work with the CMD command line because it's easy and it doesn't take very long to configure. It works quickly compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

It can be difficult to find service and at times we cannot connect with the internet easily. It should be easier to find an internet connection through vendors. They could have a better internet router solution.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

This solution is stable. …

What is our primary use case?

The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

It works quickly compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

They could have a better internet router solution.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is scalable.

We have a minimum of ten users, and a maximum of one hundred and fifty users.

The technical support is good.

We contacted a consultant, a reseller, and an integrator to implement this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

AP
Information Technology Manager at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up and the technical support is very good

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "The pricing needs to be better."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for business operations.

What is most valuable?

I find each and every feature of this solution valuable.

What needs improvement?

The pricing needs to be better because you need a license for every device.

I have been using Cisco SSL VPN for around four years.

The solution is very stable.

There are no issues when it comes to scalability.

We get local support and we are satisfied with the support we get.

The initial setup wasn't complicated at all and the installation was done by resellers.

What other advice do I have?

Nothing is perfect and my advice to others would be to look at their requirements before they choose a solution. Cisco has been tested and used widely so there are virtually no issues in terms of selecting Cisco. But it's up to each client to determine what they need when it comes to things like trafficking.

Additional features that I would like to see included in the next release of Cisco VPN is that it should be compatible with all the devices like mobile devices, laptops, or iPads.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate this solution an eight.

HG
Architect at Devoteam Belgium
The management portal is good but the graphical interface needs to improve

• "The feature I find most valuable, is the management portal."
  • "The graphical interface is old and needs to improve."

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the management portal. The one we're currently using is much more simple and with the IOS version 9, there is quite an improvement on the stability and the configuration of the solution itself.

What needs improvement?

I think the management of the design of the console or portal needs to improve because when you compare it to other vendors, you find that the graphical interface is old. I do, however, believe that the newer version has an improved graphical interface.

An improvement in the scalability of the solution will also be great.

I've been working on Cisco SSL VPN for more than ten years on cloud and on premises.

The newer version is much more stable than the versions we used a few years ago.

I think the scalability could be improved in the next version but it's fine for now.

The documentation that comes with the program is pretty clear and everything is explained well. So we haven't used the customer service yet.

The difficulty of the initial setup depends on the security or policy configuration one needs to implement. But for us, it was quite straightforward and not difficult at all. We did the installation and deployment ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that, if they are going in the cloud, they can use other products from the cloud too. In the next version, I would like to see central management, because sometimes you have more than two or three devices. If we can have a solution that can manage all these devices, that will be great. For example, if you need to update one device, you can just do it from one place without having to update all of them separately. On a scale from one to ten, I rate this solution a seven.

GS
Solution Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, convenient, and easy, it always works if configured well

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises deployment model. Our primary use case of this solution is to support remote office workers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that it's reliable, convenient, and easy. It always works if configured well.

What needs improvement?

I would like for it to have support for the Dutch language. I typically use English in 99% of our communications but for some people, it matters.

I've been using this solution for fifteen years.

Stability is good.

I don't have any issues with scalability. We have around 3,000 users.

The initial…

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for fifteen years.

Stability is good.

I don't have any issues with scalability. We have around 3,000 users.

The initial setup is straightforward. The time it takes to deploy depends on the product internally. It took a couple of months. It was a phased approach, that was not due to the complexity of Cisco. In total it took a couple of months.

We used an integrator for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

It was quite easy to set up. I don't get any complaints about it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten because I would never give a ten out of ten.

JohnTamakloe
Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Has a user-friendly interface and is easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs improvement, it should have better integration. Although, it might have already been taken care of.

I have been using this solution for more than seven years.

It's been stable for as long as I've been using it. Any issues that we had didn't come from this solution, they were from a third-party. It is stable.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup was easy. It was easy to install.

What other advice

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for more than seven years.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup was easy. It was easy to install.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. In order to make it a ten, it should have better integration.

I would recommend this solution to someone considering it.

Senior InfoSec Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reviewer posted - “ASA only provides single network...
Reviewer posted - “ASA only provides single network based access control list features”. Maybe not in the license you purchased. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/contexts.html#wp1036557 Common Uses for Security Contexts You might want to use multiple security contexts in the following situations: •You are a service provider and want to sell security services to many customers. By enabling multiple security contexts on the security appliance, you can implement a cost-effective, space-saving solution that keeps all customer traffic separate and secure, and also eases configuration. •You are a large enterprise or a college campus and want to keep departments completely separate. •You are an enterprise that wants to provide distinct security…

Common Uses for Security Contexts

You might want to use multiple security contexts in the following situations:

•You are an enterprise that wants to provide distinct security policies

Senior InfoSec Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
If you are looking for a mature and dynamic security appliance for your SMB or enterprise network, the Cisco ASA is it.

Valuable Features:

• Great encryption capabilities • Versatile Remote Access configuration down to user level settings • Customizable Web Portals Internet/Extranet Sites • Monitoring VPN activity and errors • CLI provides quick access to various states of the device • Troubleshooting Tools

Room for Improvement:

• Troubleshooting error codes not always decipherable • Firewall rule configuration not as intuitive as Checkpoint. ASDM needs work

Other Advice:

Cisco ASA VPN device with the 8.4(5) image and ASDM 7.11. This device meets the requirements for FIPS 140-2 cryptographic requirements for federal agencies. The purpose of the device is that it ensures the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of information between networks. The device is best used between different locations offering secure communications for users, clients (DMZ), and partners (DMZ). Cisco has been in the business for creating borderless networks for some time. Overall performance and features of the device are great. It does take a little time to get used to the commands, as they are a little different from the Cisco IOS router but not as different as another vendor like 3com now, HP. Visibility and granular control of applications and micro-applications,
it_user1083
Manager of Operations at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Cisco's SSL VPN device ASA, provides easy to setup features for remote access, secured and private networks.

Valuable Features:

Virtual Private Network over Secure Socket Layer protocol has already been in business for quite some time now. Brands like Cisco, D-Link, and Netgear have already launched their products a few years back. Though there are many brands, Cisco is still leading the market. Cisco's new ASA device for SSL VPN, has made a new gateway for the technology. While the product is still under review and it has to pass many exploitations and critics, ASA has certainly made a new revolution in SSL VPN technology. With Cisco's ASA hanging around, no more configuring separate gateways, and tunneling complex networks with complicated authentication procedures. Simple user based authentication is possible now with the launch of a new device. The device will let you configure a standard set of users and groups for user based authentication. Hence, the hassle free setting up and operation.

Room for Improvement:

Cisco ASA system doesn't provide interface with radius based user mapping, other than the standard schema of users and groups. This is the one field where you may have trouble with while setting up the device, with your already configured secure network. ASA only provides single network based access control list features. This is a drawback if you have multi-layered networks and several VLANs. The flexibility is lost. There has been a compatibility issue of the device with Windows Internet Explorer version 8. Cisco has provided a beta version to resolve the issue.

Other Advice:

Cisco SSL VPN is a bag of mixed features. Some of these features will let you set up an easy secured and remote access of individual networks. At the same time, some of these features will cause some trouble with your already configured network. While we know that SSL VPN is an advanced technological step towards achieving a more secured network against ever growing multiple networking threats, Cisco's SSL VPN device is definitely a wise choice to pick.