DR
Head Cyber Security at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Has good flexibility and stability

What is our primary use case?

One of the use cases was the certificate-based authentication for the endpoints. All the laptops and mobiles are embedded with certificates and once they get authenticated, then only they would be able to connect to the LAN.  The other use case was the NAC use case wherein the integrity of the laptops and mobile and such were checked before the scan. They fulfill the policy requirements and then they are able to connect to the network. The third use case was the consolidated access control management for all the network devices and security devices.

What is most valuable?

It's flexible and stable. It's been good as a standard environment to run.

It was implemented in my last organization and we used it for…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It's flexible and stable. It's been good as a standard environment to run.

It was implemented in my last organization and we used it for three years. We are evaluating and will be implementing it in a couple of months at my current organization.

It is stable and scalable. We have 5,000 to 6,000 users.

Technical support is good because the partner is quite competent so we have all the support that is required.

The initial setup was a little bit complex. It's not that simple because it requires a lot of prerequisites for the solution to get a hold on. So the prerequisites and then onboarding all this like the landscape of endpoints was quite tedious. That was no surprise, because this is something which would be with other products as well. It took a long time for the implementation, but it's been rock stable now.

The deployment took six to seven months.

We had consultants and we had a partner for the deployment. The system integrator was involved with the roll out.

What other advice do I have?

The management part is much smoother. It takes care of all the costs across branded devices as well, so that it is a single panel we can manage all the end-to-end entry devices as well. That's something would be really good for Cisco ISE product.

I would recommend Cisco ISE. I would rate it an eight out of ten. I would like it to be more stable.

Nayef Hamzeh
IT Manager at CMC
Provides useful information, plenty of network rules, but user interface needs improvement

• "The most valuable features are the ability to retrieve information about Active Directory user names, viewing the log files to see which MAC address tried to connect with the created SSIDs, portal designing for your company, hotspot tools, and creating network rules for WiFi access."
  • "The interface could be more user-friendly and the ability to apply rules to MAC addresses, for example, if I wanted to allow a certain MAC address access at a particular time I cannot make this adjustment."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for network security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ability to retrieve information about Active Directory user names, viewing the log files to see which MAC address tried to connect with the created SSIDs, portal designing for your company, hotspot tools, and creating network rules for WiFi access.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly and the ability to apply rules to MAC addresses, for example, if I wanted to allow a certain MAC address access at a particular time I cannot make this adjustment.

In an upcoming release, they could improve by providing rule-based bandwidth consumption, bring your own device (BYOD) need to be more mature, and the reports could be more user-friendly.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

The solution is stable.

The controller has to manage a certain number of access points and we did not see any problems with the scalability. It is able to handle more access points than we need it for.

We do not have experience with The technical support from Cisco directly because the technical support we receive is from our partners which they have been excellent.

We have used 3Com wireless controllers previously.

We used Cisco partners to do the implementation of the solution.

Recently, I have evaluated Aruba solutions and I found them to be better than Cisco. There is room for improvement, Cisco can do better.

What other advice do I have?

When deciding to implement this solution it is a good idea to assess and define the requirements to determine whether there is a need for this solution. It is important to know what you can use from it. You can have a WiFi environment without the need for a Cisco ISE. This solution has advanced security that might not be needed for your use case. Be sure about your needs.

I rate Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MB
Senior Solutions Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good support, stability, and interconnection with the ecosystem

• "The interconnection with the ecosystem and the ability to force rules all over the network are the most important features."
  • "It is a good product, but in order to use all of the functions of the product, you must have a good understanding of the product. You must know how to use and manage it. It is a little bit complicated to configure and manage. It must be simplified to make it easy to manage for end users. In the initial stage, we found ISE complicated for end users. It was not easy to manage it or to write authentication and authorization protocol. They must improve its management and make it easy for end users. The monitoring and reporting capabilities can be improved because end users want to quickly see what is happening in their network. There were some restrictions in working with other vendors. It should also have a better and easy integration with other vendors."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It is a good product, but in order to use all of the functions of the product, you must have a good understanding of the product. You must know how to use and manage it. It is a little bit complicated to configure and manage. It must be simplified to make it easy to manage for end users. In the initial stage, we found ISE complicated for end users. It was not easy to manage it or to write authentication and authorization protocol. They must improve its management and make it easy for end users.

The monitoring and reporting capabilities can be improved because end users want to quickly see what is happening in their network. There were some restrictions in working with other vendors. It should also have a better and easy integration with other vendors.

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

It is a stable product.

It is scalable.

It has good technical support. We also have local support now, which is better. There is no problem with their technical support.

People who are experts should deploy such products. In order to preserve the reputation, a product must be set up with the help of a talented or expert person because when you set up, deploy, or install the product in a wrong way, it gives negative feedback to customers.

The price can be lower, especially for subscriptions. It should be a lot cheaper to have a wide range of customers. The price should be comparable to competitive products like Forescout or Fortinet FortiNAC. Forescout is cheaper for customers looking for a cloud solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco ISE an eight out of ten.

SZ
Team Lead Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Scalable with good device administration and good stability

• "Typically, the installation is pretty simple."
  • "Deploying to a machine, as opposed to a dedicated appliance, can be a bit difficult."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for authentification purposes.

What is most valuable?

The solution is stable.

We have found the product to be scalable.

The device administration is great.

It offers very good integrations and can easily be integrated with mobile devices.

The product works well with StealthWatch.

It's quite an innovative product.

Typically, the installation is pretty simple.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't as dynamic as it could be. There are some limitations, specifically around switches.

The network solutions need to be improved by Cisco.

I've been using the solution for three to four years. It's been a while at this point.

The solution has been quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We have this solution deployed to 6,000 or more users.

An installation is pretty simple if it is on a dedicated hardware appliance. However, if someone chooses to deploy to a machine, then you can face certain challenges during the installation. On a dedicated appliance, you can deploy in two to three hours.

You only really need one person to deploy the product. You don't need to have a big team.

We are integrators and can deploy the solution for clients.

What other advice do I have?

We are a systems integration company.

I'm using different versions of the solution, and not necessarily the latest one.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's worked well for us so far. We find Cisco to be innovative and to offer good products.

I would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Josept Conde
Project Manager at Projectnet
Overall complete package, secure authentication, with great customer service

• "One of the most important features is the authentication security for the individual connection to the network through their computer or laptop."
  • "The customer server was great but it would have been better for me if they had support in other languages such as Spanish."

What is our primary use case?

The company implemented the solution to keep track of wired and wireless devices.

What is most valuable?

One of the most important features is the authentication security for the individual connection to the network through their computer or laptop. The solution is very complete overall.

What needs improvement?

There should be better documentation on the implementation of the solution. I learned how to implement it from watching videos. I felt the documentation was too complicated and I also learn better from watching videos.

In my experience, there needs to be better documentation for firewall integration as well, we had some trouble early on.

I have been using the solution over the last year.

A co-worker of mine had some issues with the solution crashing unexpectantly or some processes went down.

We are using the solution with around 200 people and we had no problems with scalability. Most of our clients are small businesses.

The customer server was great but it would have been better for me if they had support in other languages such as Spanish. It was difficult for me to communicate in English.

The setup was easy for this solution.

We implemented the solution.

There are other cheaper options available.

We did evaluate Aruba ClearPass before the client picked Cisco ISE. I had suggested ClearPass because it was cheaper but the client decided to go with Cisco regardless.

What other advice do I have?

Our clients and my company plan to continue the use of the solution in the future.

I rate Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) a ten out of ten.

HassanAyoub
Technology Manager at Advanced Integrated Systems
A stable and scalable network administration solution with a valuable guest access feature

• "I like the guest access feature, which has been important for us."
  • "Segmentation can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to have network access control and automation to integrate with the enterprise network. It also helps provide a method to make segmentations between users and enable access control.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco ISE has provided more mobility for the organization while controlling access no matter how the users connect to the network.

What is most valuable?

I like the guest access feature, which has been important for us. The BYOD feature is also good.

What needs improvement?

Segmentation can be improved. They can also improve security policies for each group of users, and automation can also be better. The software interface could be better. They should make it easier for users to find features.

I have been working with Cisco ISE for more than three years, but in general, I have more than 20 years of experience working with Cisco.

Cisco ISE is a stable solution.

Cisco ISE is very scalable.

Cisco technical support is very good.

The initial setup is complex, and you can't easily find the features you want.

If we're talking about a medium enterprise and there is a greenfield, it can take between one or two weeks.

I think the price is okay.

What other advice do I have?

I advise new users to go through the admin guides for implementation and follow the script very carefully.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco ISE an eight.

Private Cloud
Chandra-Prakash
Senior Infrastructure Consultant at Happiest Minds Technologies
Superior support, effective NAC, but difficult to configure

• "The most valuable features are the NAC and the bundles that are available with Cisco ISE, such as Cisco ACS being integrated."
  • "The solution configuration is complicated for setting the infrastructure. They have improved over the years but there is still a lot of room to improve. When comparing the simplicity to other vendors, such as Fortinet and Aruba they are behind."

What is our primary use case?

My clients are small to enterprise-size companies using this networking solution. One of my clients is a leading pharmaceutical manufacturing company, providing genetic medicine. The network they have has approximately 5,000 device inventory. Additionally, I have a couple of clients in the banking industry in the USA that has quite a large networking infrastructure using this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the NAC and the bundles that are available with Cisco ISE, such as Cisco ACS being integrated.

What needs improvement?

The solution infrastructure configuration is complicated to set up. They have improved over the years but there is still a lot of room to improve. When comparing the simplicity to other vendors, such as Fortinet and Aruba they are behind.

I have been using this solution for approximately three years.

The solution is stable.

Cisco's support system is very good and they are well known for it.

I am also using FortiNAC and it is similar to Cisco ISE. However, Cisco is spread across the globe with bigger clients, large enterprises. FortiNAC is not as mature, but they are still working their way up in the market

The price of the solution is price fair for the features you receive.

I have evaluated other solutions from Aruba and Fortinet.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) a seven out of ten.

SS
Deputy Manager at Convergent Wireless Communications
Reseller
Stable, scalable, feature-rich, with good guest and stop authentication

• "It has all of the features available, in fact, more than what you need."
  • "The support could be faster and the pricing could be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

I am a reseller. I provide solutions to our customers.

We used Cisco ISE for Wi-Fi implementation for one project at the International Airport.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are guest authentication and stop authentication.

I felt that it was quite good and well suited for us.

Overall, the features and the product are quite good.

It has all of the features available, in fact, more than what you need.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified.

The support could be faster and the pricing could be reduced.

Cisco ISE is a stable product.

It is a scalable solution.

Technical support is fine.

It might take some time. At times, it will take two hours to come online.

Support is available as long as you have the support contract.

I have not worked on any other product.

The initial setup is a bit complex. The integration with the Active Directory is a bit involved.

The price is a bit on the high side.

What other advice do I have?

The features are quite comprehensive, but it's okay. However, the pricing is on the higher side.

Feature-wise, it is a nine out of ten. Overall, I would rate Cisco ISE an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.