DS
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A robust solution for networking that can scale easily

• "The most valuable feature of Cisco routers is that they are robust."
  • "Having the option for a web-based interface would be an improvement over being forced to use the CLI."

What is our primary use case?

We are a tech services company and this is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers.

The primary use case for Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches is for networking in a data center, or campus networking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Cisco routers is that they are robust. One of our customers has a switch that has been running for more than ten years without any issues.

What needs improvement?

Having the option for a web-based interface would be an improvement over being forced to use the CLI. This is especially true for the high-end switches.

I have been dealing with these switches for quite some time.

Stability-wise, I think that they are good. I haven't had any issues with them.

The switches are all easy to scale. No problem there.

I have contacted technical support before and they are not so bad. The response time is quite good. Overall, I would say that they are average.

I have used switches by Cisco, D-Link, and Dell. The D-Link switches are not as robust and sometimes lose their configuration. The Dell switches are similar but cheaper than Cisco.

Overall, Cisco is the best switch.

The initial setup is straightforward. It's not so difficult.

The length of time for deployment depends on what you are doing and how much configuration is required. If it is plug and play then it won't take long, but if you have to configure the switch and use the CLI then it will take longer.

Cisco switches are a little expensive when it comes to the price. We are starting to phase out of the sale of these because of the higher price.

Cisco licenses are renewed every year.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone who is considering this type of solution is to first consider the budget. Dell switches are cheaper and they do almost the same thing as Cisco.

MohammadJamzivar
Network Consultant at Tetisnet
Good pricing and performance, but offers no support in Iran

• "The pricing of the solution is very good. It works well within our network."
  • "If possible, we'd like to see support in our country, but it will be difficult as we are located in Iran."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution because of it's relatively cheaper price (as compared to other options).

What is most valuable?

The pricing of the solution is very good. It works well within our network.

What needs improvement?

There isn't anything negative to point out about the solution. Like all Cisco products, it's very good.

The solution doesn't have rich features and only offers a small support for expander products and protocols.

I've been using Cisco products for about ten years and Cisco Linksys ethernet switches for about four or five years.

The stability of the solution is very good. We've never had any issues. There are issues, however, with the Cisco firewall in the network. It may cause crashes, but the Lynksys solution has worked very well.

The solution is not scalable in a larger organization network; we prefer to use Cisco Catalyst Ethernet Switches for enterprise-level organizations. For smaller organizations, because of the price, Cisco Lynksys is a better choice.

We're located in Iran, and therefore don't have access to technical support for this or any other enterprise solution provider.

The initial setup is very easy.

Deployment times vary and are dependant on design options. However,  when I want to implement a basic installation and configuration, it does not take long. I can set up and run Cisco Ethernet solution in less than 10 minutes.

We handle the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

All of our Cisco products are on-premises deployment models.

I'd recommend the solution for those who are price-conscious and those who are looking for good performance.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

A lot of things can be better with these types of devices, however, it depends on Cisco's policies. These types of products could support more features and protocols in the future. Cisco could work to improve these types of products, by enhancing performance and other related items.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Muhammed Eslami
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Scalable And Stable With Great Security Features for SMBs

• "I have found their security features the most valuable. These security features are supported on most of the other features. Similarly, the protocols and the standards are supported on other features, such as the stacking feature, the availability feature, internet channel, link application, and protocols. There are so many features on these features."
  • "It would be nice if they can provide support for local authentication protocol, which is a security feature. It is not supported right now. They already support security features, so adding some local authentication features would be very nice. Currently, they only support external databases for the stuff for the authentication feature. If they could improve the existing feature or add a feature to support local databases, local username, password authentication, I think it would be very amazing."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use cases are for SMBs inside the local area networks and for a LAN switch near two or three switches.

What is most valuable?

I have found their security features the most valuable. These security features are supported on most of the other features. Similarly, the protocols and the standards are supported on other features, such as the cascading feature, the availability feature, and protocols.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they can provide support for local authentication protocol, which is a security feature. It is not supported for 802.1X feature. They already support security features, so adding some local authentication features would be very nice.

Actually this should be done by Belkin, as you know Belkin acquired Linksys from Cisco Systems on 2013, so it would be nice if Linksys or Belkin could do these enhancements.

I have been using the Cisco Ethernet Switches for about 20 years. I have used the Cisco 1900 series switches, the lower end switches up to 6500 series, and also the Linksys switches.

Cisco and Linksys Ethernet Switches both are stable. They do a relatively stable job.

Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches are scalable, and they support stacking like feature that's called cascading.

It depends completely on your agreement or your contract type.

The initial setup of Cisco switches is actually complex. But Linksys switches are easy to setup, that's why I recommend using these devices in SMB environments.

From cost and pricing perspective, they are relatively cheaper than Cisco switches.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I have experience in using just Cisco switches, so I don't think that I'm going to replace them with any other vendor and use something else. But for SMBs, I think Belkin or Linksys switches are also fine,because their lower cist and also features they support.

I would rate Linksys Ethernet Switches a ten out of ten for SMB environments.

Sambasiva Rao Venigalla
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable and flexible with pretty good pricing

• "The solution is very flexible."
  • "You do need a bit of knowledge about the solution. There's a small learning curve involved when implementing the product."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to design campus-wide networks. We use the solution for low-cost ethernet connections. We use them from the routing ports.

What is most valuable?

The cost of the solution is very low.

The solution is very flexible.

It's quite stable.

It's very easy to install the solution.

Technical support has been very good.

What needs improvement?

While the pricing is pretty good, it could always be a bit less expensive. If you look at HPE, for example, it offers very competitive pricing. If they want to compete they should ty to do so by matching that pricing.

Occasionally, if the temperatures are too high, it initiates a reboot.

The capacity of the switches could be a bit better.

We've been using the solution for a few small projects for a while.

The stability of the solution is excellent. There aren't really any issues. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's not buggy. It's reliable.

We've dealt with technical support in the past and have found them to be quite good. They're reliable and helpful. We're satisfied with the service they offer.

We use Meraki switches as well.

The setup is not complex at all. It's very easy. We didn't have any issues deploying the solution across our network.

That said, you do need proper knowledge of the product before you begin deployment. It's much better if you know what you are doing before you begin implementation.

YOu only really need two to three users for deployment and maintenance.

The pricing is pretty good. It's a fairly low-cost option. We find the licensing reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been largely happy with the product and how it operates.

RitamMukherjee
Chief Technology Officer at Sharva Group
Easy to scale, provides good security, and we are happy with the support

• "What matters most to me is the security of the product, and Cisco does a pretty good job."
  • "Technical documents and other configuration-related information should be more freely available online."

What is our primary use case?

I support clients who are doing software development and they have their own servers, so we maintain the Cisco network for them. These switches are what they use in the network infrastructure.

These are small startups that cannot be on the cloud because of local government regulations. As such, they need to have their own switches and routers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The Cisco deployment instructions are not very easily available outside of the certification courses. It would be a very good thing if somebody without Cisco certification could learn the system. If Cisco adopted a more open-source mindset, I would personally prefer that.

The user interface can be improved, although I cannot specifically suggest in which ways. Simply put, anything can be made more intuitive. Even the Apple iPhone can be made better.

I have been using Cisco Linksys Switches for seven years.

Cisco is a very stable product. I don't know anybody on the planet who says that Cisco makes unstable systems

This is a very scalable product. That is the biggest reason we deploy Cisco. It's very easy to scale up. We have about 500 users that might connect to the network.

We are very happy with the support service. I have no concerns with them.

The deployment, testing, and auditing of a new network will take from two to three days to complete.

Our in-house team handles the installation. Once it is complete, I take care of the next steps.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are very happy with Cisco products and I recommend these switches.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Ahmed_Soliman
Senior Information Technology Manager at a construction company with 201-500 employees
A fast initial setup, easy to configure and good technical support

• "It's very easy to configure URLs."
  • "The solution's framework and some of the techniques need improvement. I've been watching Aruba, and they have a lot of technologies within the access points. For example, it has a virtual controller to connect all Aruba switches."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for configuring Linksys IDs with the lines on Linksys access points. I make a cluster for all access points of Linksys to control them from one master.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to configure URLs.

What needs improvement?

The stability of the solution needs improvement. There's a problem with disconnecting the network. I have to restart it and set it correctly again. After a while, it disconnects again and I have to report it once more.

The solution's framework and some of the techniques need improvement. I've been watching Aruba, and they have a lot of technologies within the access points. For example, it has a virtual controller to connect all Aruba switches.

Sharing access, sharing Wi-Fi or access IDs would be great.

I've been using the solution for four years.

We've been satisfied with the level of stability of the solution.

The scalability is okay; it covers a large area. Right now, we have about 100 users connected to it.

Technical support has been okay.

We also use Aruba. We use both solutions consecutively.

For those with IT knowledge, the initial setup is easy. Those without IT knowledge will struggle quite a bit. Certain aspects like using an adapter to connect to the laptop and connect the IP and configure it will be difficult to learn. Deployment and proper configuration only take about 10-15 minutes for those that know what they are doing.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise others to carefully read the datasheet of Linksys and all the tools. It's also a good idea to make a thorough analysis of the company so that you'll know what size you will use and which solution to work with.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

JS
Managing Director at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Includes basic firewall and VPN features, but the interface is outdated and there is no reporting

• "The most valuable feature is basic networking functionality."
  • "This product does not generate reports, so I would like to see something with better reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We use these switches for basic networking, including firewall and VPN features.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is basic networking functionality.

What needs improvement?

The interface is pretty outdated. I'm sure that there are newer technologies and newer interfaces available now.

We have been using the Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches for between 15 and 20 years.

The functionality and stability need to be improved, more than, for example, the price.

When we have an issue, we can't figure out where it is. It is very difficult because there is no straightforward reporting to tell us about problems or a bottleneck. We have to rely on third-party software for this, so it's not easy for us to figure out.

We are a small company and have not needed to scale.

We have local support that not directly from Cisco, but from a third-party.

I find that they make things unnecessarily complicated. I believe the support could be much simpler, faster, and better.

These devices are simple, but at the same time, they are a bit complex. The initial setup is not that straightforward.

Considering the problems that we have, Linksys is overpriced.

I have not used other products but from my research, it seems that Aruba and Ubiquiti have been solutions. Compared to other products, Linksys is less than average.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is not to use Linksys. I would not recommend it. I've used it in different places and the stability of Linksys is always a question mark.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Miguel Angel Alvarez
CEO at Data Keeper
Reseller
Cost effective and good for small businesses but not flexible in terms of configuration

• "For a home or small business, the solution offers a very good web interface."
  • "It would be ideal if they could do more configurations and offer more flexibility. Right now, it's not flexible at all."

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very good cost-effective product. It has the reputation of a Cisco system, however, it's provided at a much smaller price.

For a home or small business, the solution offers a very good web interface.

What needs improvement?

We've realized that the solution is a very different product from other larger Cisco offerings, even though it's sort-of marketed as a cost-effective alternative for those that need something smaller.

We've been working with the solution for about seven or eight years at this point. It's been quite a while.

The solution is stable. That's not a problem. It doesn't have bugs or glitches or suffer from crashes. It's pretty reliable.

As far as I understand it, the solution isn't too scalable. The hardware isn't really intended to expand out. It works well for a home or small business, however, it's not really acceptable for a large-scale enterprise.

We only really work with Cisco. However, we are currently looking for alternatives.

That said, it's rare we move off of Cisco and work with another company.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. We work almost exclusively with Cisco.

We are also working with Cisco in providing networking, wireless, WiFi, and everything related to them that works within security. We don't work with Meraki, however. We prefer standard networking devices. We're not comfortable with cloud administration.

We work with small businesses and small firewalls when we use this product and we only really use this particular solution on a few of our projects.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a seven.

Product Categories
Ethernet Switches
Download our free Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.