Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Ethernet Switches. It is most often compared to NETGEAR Switches: Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches vs NETGEAR Switches

What is Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches?
Linksys Ethernet Switches bring greater reliability and coverage to your home network.

Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches is also known as Linksys Ethernet Switches.

Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Customers
Linz AG
Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches pricing:
  • "The licensing cost is not bad and is actually very competitive within the product category."
  • "There can be limited features for the solution based on the pricing of the package you choose. You will need to pay more to get more performance. However, the router can perform even better with certain extra costs. Sometimes the budgets do not fit all these types of upgrades that become expensive."
  • "It's an affordable price for small companies using on-premises networks where cloud services are too expensive for them."
  • "I think that pricing should be more competitive. While the Cisco product is good, the pricing is not competitive. People will end up going with other cheaper solutions such as Arista."
  • "If you look at the product portfolio from Cisco, it's quite expensive."

Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Reviews

Akram Khan
Director of Information Technology at UniTeller Financial Services
Easy-to-use, with great product support, this versatile, mature product is a multi-faceted solution

• "Ease-of-use and ease-of-management are good qualities of this product."
  • "The Cisco user interfaces can be difficult to use and maintain."

What is our primary use case?

I have been in so many situations using this product it is hard to choose a primary use. I have worked for many companies, so we have used them as access switches, we have used them as distribution switches, we have used them as IDF (Intermediate Distribution Frame) closets for floor switches. We have used them as code switches and clusters and chassis. I have gone through using all the different versions of switches in many scenarios, like remote offices, access to quotas for distribution. I have used the switches on every level and in exhaustive possibilities.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable feature of Cisco Switches is basically the ease of use, the ease of management. The most important thing may be the support. Support is available and having access to good support has been the difference all along as a user of Cisco products. The most important thing about product support is that everything is made very available. Most of this stuff — I would say more than 90% of the technical stuff — is available online. Anybody can just go online and Google their questions, problems, or what they want to find out about and just download the documents and then get to work with the product. Some other products are good products, but there is not so much good technical information out there to support the products. Those products become less useful and less fully utilized.

What needs improvement?

I think that Cisco UI interfaces need to be a little better. They use Java for parts of the graphical user interfaces and that messes up things from time-to-time. It is very hard to maintain that graphical user interface. If it would be anything but Java it would be better. Like if you could just access the GUI from a browser, that would be wonderful. But every time Cisco has their own product — like CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional) which is a nightmare to use.

What I believe they could do more with is enhancement of the security features. The security controls that are given to users with Cisco 4600 now can be integrated with the Cisco firewalls. I think something similar needs to be done on those Lynksys models as well.

It feels like we have been using Cisco Switches forever. I have been using their products since I started my career and that was back in 1988. That makes it about 32 years now.

Cisco Lynksys Switches are pretty stable. No complaints. I think, in general, the majority of the Cisco switches are very stable if not all of them.

It is easy to scale the Cisco products, absolutely. There are a variety of ways to scale it.

Cisco has good technical support. But Cisco is also an advantage when you go out and you want to hire someone for your group to work with the product. For Cisco products, you can find a lot of candidates with experience. If you go with some other products that are not so commonly used, they will not have as many available certified technical people. So it is not as easy to find good candidates for those other products. For Cisco, you can find a lot of people with the necessary skill set.

Technical support is one of the biggest reasons to go with Cisco as a mature and competitive product that is familiar and generally has good support.

I have been using Cisco products for my entire long career. They are not exactly the same product for the entire time but they are Cisco quality. If there is a switch between solutions it may be to upgrade or because I moved companies or that requirements change. It has been nothing unusual to switch using one Cisco product for another.

I think it is pretty straightforward to set up and implement. I think they are pretty standard. It is not rocket science. The person doing the work should have some basic knowledge of working with switches. That would be all they need.

When it comes to pricing, I think the licensing cost is not that bad. It is actually very competitive within the product category.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would offer to others in implementing Cisco Lynksys Switches is that somebody on the team has to be well aware of basic networking and how the search network works. That will make them easier to use and implement.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches depending on the class. For example, I think the Cisco 9300s are almost an eight-out-of-ten.

AB
DGM Programming at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable hardware that does its job so you can do yours

• "My work is able to continue because the switches are reliable."
  • "The simplicity of management could be improved so the object-based switch management is possible."

What is our primary use case?

In our environment, we are using Cisco switches in Visio clusters. We are using Dell servers, and we are using Dell Precision workstations. I do not remember the model number of the Cisco switches. We are using the Cisco network series of switches and they are the L2 class. I think they are the 2960 series of switches.

At present, our company policy does not allow us to host any of our data on the public cloud. We are revising the information security policy. Until this new policy comes into effect, we will not be able to go into the public cloud.

In the end, the switches will continue to be a component of data interpretation in our environment.

What is most valuable?

My work is able to continue because the switches are reliable. That is mostly what is important to me. I can not say that I like the product more than other switches because I have not worked with other switches in a long time and I have not had any difficulty with these. They are working fine right now and the support is good for so far.

What needs improvement?

In particular, the simplicity of management could be improved. At present, all these switches require a software layer. For example, I am asking for the SDN (Software Defined Networking) for managing a network-based project. Similarly, I would like to get the SDS (Smart Distributed System) for storage projects. Managing things is a little bit difficult, definitely. So, manageability can be improved. At the individual product level, an improvement to the difficulty of management will be very helpful for admin users.

I think we have been using these Lynksys Ethernet switches for five or six years, but as far as Cisco products are concerned, we have been using Cisco products for a much longer time.

Overall, my organization has more than 30 or 40 work centers, data centers, and more than about 15 or 20,000 users. It is not possible to tell the exact number of end-users. So we are already running on a large scale. Our plans are to subscribe to a private cloud. By that, I mean we plan to convert the whole data center to cloud services. As far as the technical capabilities are concerned, Cisco Lynksys switches will be something we can still use. Commercially, I do not know if they are feasible. I already talked to a Cisco person about the technical qualifications and he assured me that the product qualifies technically.

Personally, I have never taken any personal support, because I have a different team. But there definitely has been no complaint regarding the Cisco support. I cannot say every customer gets the same support, but at our company we definitely have got good support.

We use L3 switches in one of the Nexus series of switches. I do not remember the series. We use them concurrently. It depends on the situation.

It is a little difficult to answer if it is straightforward or complex because some parts are easy and some parts are difficult. Also, it will not be possible for me to say first-hand, because when the deployment was going on, I was not here.

Nowadays everything is software-driven. Even network products are configured through NFS (Network File System). Because we have to configure each individual switch, which makes it more complex. Once you are on object-based storage like SDN, it becomes easy to manage things. Most of the time, it is manageability which is complex. It is not the product which is giving us any problems. Managing every little product one-at-a-time is difficult. With something like SDN, or these types of alternative management systems, we can manage all these things through a single software interface — a single pane of glass — that becomes easy.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product for other users who want to start using it. We do not have anything negative to say about the product and it has been serving us well. There would be no reason not to recommend it.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product from my perspective as a nine-out-of-ten. It would be very difficult for me to give it a higher rating. There are parts of it that can be improved.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AT
Data Communication and Networking Officer at a aerospace/defense firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Full comparability across the network, feature rich, and highly reliable

• "I have found the solution has great standards and compatibility across all vendors."

What is our primary use case?

My company uses the solutions as a traditional network switch.

What is most valuable?

I have found the solution has great standards and compatibility across all vendors. I learned Cisco command and configuration in university and this is why this solution is easy to use for me than other vendors' devices. There are plenty of standard features that are available and the solution is secure.

I have been using the solution for seven years.

The solution is extremely stable and reliable. I have some Cisco devices that have been operating and fully functional for 10 years without any issues.

We have approximately 300 branches across the country that has many thousands using the solution.

The installation was easy. There are many phases of the install process. First I had to prepare a configuration template in the workplace for the networking team. I can use this configuration template to deploy a lot of Linksys solutions. I know where, when, and how to lead these deployments to have a properly configured Cisco solution. If I have a configuration template it only takes approximately 30 minutes to load and configure the devices. At this point, the device needs to be taken to where it can be installed, this can take approximately 10 minutes. The length of time is dependant on the environment of the install. For example, what types of location is it being installed in and the complexity of cable wiring in each branch of the router.

There can be limited features for the solution based on the pricing of the package you choose. You will need to pay more to get more performance. However, the router can perform even better with certain extra costs. For example, if you can perform 200 Mbps throughput but I want a 1 Gbps throughput, I have to pay more or purchase more licenses. Additionally, If I want to use the SD-WAN feature, I have to purchase a different license and install the operating license. Sometimes the budgets do not fit all these types of upgrades that become expensive.

We are on a yearly license for this solution. We have a procurement process in which we have to plan ahead one to two years. We have to determine which branches have to support the data communication network and have a proposal for the future to be agreed upon. If no agreement is made, then we have to continue the procurement process for an eventual successful agreement in the future.

I was evaluating the SD-WAN solution from many vendors. The SD-WAN solution is going to have better features and will benefit in the future. I do not think we could ascertain the solution without a high budget. Many vendors offer the solution, such as Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is well-known, reliable, and stable for networking solutions. I am going to continue to use this solution. However, I will also use some other vendor devices that have some features that Cisco might not be able to support. 90% of my private network is using Cisco devices with other solutions.

I would recommend this solution to others. Overall this is the best solution but the price is a little high.

I rate Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches an eight out of ten.

MV
    Managing Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Affordable for small business, stable, and runs without Interruptions

• "This solution is stable it runs without any interruptions."
    • "Scalability-wise, this solution is not designed for small businesses."

What is our primary use case?

We have used this solution mostly for small businesses.

The primary use case of this solution is for connecting computers to a network.

What is most valuable?

Our clients have not provided any feedback. What they are interested in is that it is working and runs their network with no interruptions. This is why we purchase these switches for our customers.

It is not as good as the original switches Cisco previously had but it is better than other solutions.

What needs improvement?

Some of these switches are still using a GUI interface, but I would prefer using the command line interface like the original system.

Lynksys are only switches using the GUI interface.

Scalability-wise, this solution is not designed for small businesses.

I have been using this solution for nine years.

This solution is stable and it runs without any interruptions.

This solution is scalable, but it depends on the business and the market. Some devices are oriented for the SMB market and not scalable.

There are other devices installed in companies where scalability is possible but it is not something that happens often.

We use the old Cisco devices for clients who have more users and want to expand because they have more scalability features.

Our clients have between five and twenty users.

I have not used and technical support services. I have not needed to.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I know the technology and how it works so it was very easy to setup. Even the online setup is easy and straightforward.

I completed the implementation for our customers. I am the system engineer and provide this service for all of my clients.

Most of the clients don't understand what is going on with the devices. They would need help if they were to do implement it on their own.

It's an affordable price for small companies using on-premises networks where cloud services are too expensive for them.

What other advice do I have?

Linksys is still on the market, but it's more Cisco now. It all depends on the customer's needs and budget.

The problem is the Java installation because most of them rely on Java, and that is the problem with all devices.

If you want a new modern dashboard or management utility, you have to replace the devices.

It's not easy to improve all of the functionalities, and there are new devices on the market.

It cannot be changed and we understand that.

Some devices have more features than what the customer needs or can use.

The computers are more powerful than the capabilities of the ordinary user.

They have already improved. I recently installed a Cisco device, the Cisco FirePower, and it's completely different they are not reliant on Java as they were before.

New devices have a new approach in the next generation in the firewall devices. It is changing.

It's not perfect but I am satisfied.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

MD
    Security Consultant with 51-200 employees
    Support for segmenting network into zones, but the price needs to be more competitive

• "it's a stable solution. We have not experienced any bugs or issues. Many data centers and enterprise data centers prefer Cisco to any other product because they are very stable."
    • "The drawbacks come from support. The tools are rare, but to find someone knowledgeable with Cisco, is a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We don't do the deployment in our environment, we are consulting.

Our clients use this solution for the logical segmentation of the network to the access layer, and remote log switches.

They can also deploy the switches.

What is most valuable?

I like the ability to do the segmentation on the access layer. It allows you to segment the network into a zone or workgroups. By defining the VLAN you can logically separate the traffic. It helps minimize the risk with lateral movement and reduces the attack of Malware within your network.

What needs improvement?

I think that most everyone prefers a GUI rather than working through the command line. They have a GUI but it's not that interesting when you compare it to other vendors such as Check Point.

They should reduce the price to stay competitive. While the Cisco product is good, the pricing is not competitive. People will end up going with other cheaper solutions such as Arista.

There are issues with the C-Level required to maintain them and then to configure them.

I have been working with Ethernet Switches and doing technical work since 2010. Now I am doing architectural design work.

It's a stable solution. We have not experienced any bugs or issues.

This solution is scalable, it's easy to expand this platform.

I have not contacted technical support. I haven't done any configurations since 2010, and at that time I felt that it was difficult to find someone who was knowledgeable in Cisco.

I have not deployed this before, but from my research and my experience with Linksys, I think that it would be easy and straightforward.

I think that pricing should be more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to be a Cisco master you need to have a good understanding of the command line and how to use it, which is difficult for some administrators. Many people would prefer solutions that you can configure through a GUI.

It is easier to configure an SPC as opposed to a Cisco switch.

People are finding alternative solutions because of the price. The same happened with Firewall landscapes, people are moving away from checkpoint and Cisco and going with Juniper or FortiGate, because of the pricing and licensing model.

I would suggest that people continuously upskill themselves to remain relevant in the industry.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JC
    CIO at a aerospace/defense firm with 11-50 employees
    Stable, reliable, and offers good upgrades

• "We have found the stability to be excellent."
    • "We'd prefer if the product, in general, was easier to use. It can be a bit difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to link our three locals that are in different places. They connect to similar networks. It works with data and voice as well. I'm not exactly sure of the details there as that service is supplied by our operator.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers good upgrades. In the past, we had issues with voice communications, and they did some updates that removed the problem. Now, it's much better.

The product is quite stable and reliable.

Technical support is very helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

We would like Cisco to make it easier to work with them. We'd prefer if the product, in general, was easier to use. It can be a bit difficult.

Although I didn't directly handle the implementation, the process does not look easy.

The product is a holdout from our old communications operator. The operator has worked with us since 1990.

We have found the stability to be excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been great.

The solution might be salable. I'm not sure due to the fact that it's not our responsibility. It's the responsibility of our operator, and therefore we don't have all details. We only want everything to work. We don't necessarily care about the details per se. They take on most of the responsibilities in that sense.

We have about 60 users on the solution at this time.

We do not have plans to increase usage right now.

I've had good experiences with technical support. they respond in a timely manner and are very helpful. We're satisfied with the level of attention we get when we need help.

I did not directly handle the initial setup. However, from the outside, it did look like it was rather complex and difficult. It didn't strike me as being straightforward or simple.

I'm not sure how long the deployment actually took.

We don't really have anyone on our team that directly handles maintenance.

I cannot directly speak to the costs or the licensing agreements that are in place. That's something our supplier deals with. I don't have a real sense of how it works. It's not part of my responsibility.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not 100% certain that we are using the latest version of the solution. It might be an older one.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've largely been quite happy with its capabilities so far.

I'd recommend it to other users and organizations.

MP
    Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Reseller
    It is extremely stable and the setup is fast and straightforward

• "The stability of the program is excellent."
    • "In the next release I would really love to see a list option."

What is most valuable?

Cisco has many advanced features. These days they come in as advanced slavers from a feature perspective and we always try to lead with advanced features. Back in the day, it used to be LAN-based and IP-based. Now we need to focus on the new technologies that are out there. We will always try to lead with advance.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that needs to improve, the only stumbling block, especially in our region, is the cost of the solution. But from a hardware and software perspective, the feedback we get is essentially positive. Our users are very impressed with the product.

I have been working on Cisco for more than 15 years now.

The stability of the program is excellent.

The program is very scalable and I do recommend it to others.

The technical support is very good. I'm switching lead these days. Cisco has become so big and acquiring companies incidentally had some issues regarding malarkey. From a Cisco perspective, the support is absolutely great, but as I mentioned, some of the third party integrations that Cisco underwent, do not understand it yet.

The setup is very straightforward and the deployment doesn't take longer than an hour.

If you look at the product portfolio from Cisco, it's quite expensive. So you need to be up to date with the most specific model. You need to tailor every opportunity and look at what's best for the customer.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco is absolutely the very best in its class. It's a no-nonsense type of solution. It's really a matter of taking it out of the box, setting it up and be up and running in no time. And you know you can walk away with confidence, knowing that the solution will work. There will be no hiccups, bugs, bug fixes, nothing. It's a simple solution that works every time.

On a scale from one to 10, I would rate it a 10. I really love this solution. In the next release, I would really love to see a list option. Cisco currently has various feature seats that the customer can choose from. I would really like to see the use of that. And I would like to see that included in the standard features. So once the customer buys the hardware, they get all the features and everything's enabled. So that's what I would recommend from my side and what'd I'd really love to see.

KK
    Senior Specialist ICT/ISP Services at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Inexpensive and easy to use with excellent stability

• "The scalability is great."
    • "It would be ideal if, for private users that are not companies, the solution could be made even cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for my personal equipment.

What is most valuable?

Linksys is quite cheap for private use. Usually people use it in homes or other, for example, in-home setups.

The stability is very good. I like the excellent performance.

The solution is easy to use.

The scalability is great.

What needs improvement?

I've used the solution for a few years now. I tend to use solutions until they reach end-of-life.

The stability is quite good. That said, a few times, if my computer has some problems with internet connection, I'll restart the modem and restart the router and everything will be up. It's quite good in terms of performance.

The solution can scale well. For me, it works well and I have no complaints.

I haven't had any issues with the solution and therefore have never had the need to reach out to technical support. I cannot speak to thier level of helpfulness or responsiveness.

My Lynksys router is pretty old. I can't recall what I had before, however, if I do need to replace it, I may look to see what else is on the market.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. i'm a network engineer, and therefore, I don't face any issues. It's not complex at all.

I'm able to set up the solution on my own. I don't need any integrators or consultants to help me.

The solution is extremely inexpensive. It's great for small setups as it doesn't cost too much.

As I just use it for personal use, I do not pay for a commercial license.

Typically, when I need to replace my equipment, I will do some research to find the best technology and rates. My router is now pretty old and I will be looking to evaluate new solutions in the near future.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I've been quite happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users.

Product Categories
    Ethernet Switches
    Download our free Cisco Linksys Ethernet Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.