JR
Technology Systems Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
A straightforward and easily operated system

• "We're able to automate as well as manually control as necessary."
  • "This solution could benefit from a heat mapping ability so that you can tell where the hotspots are, and where the good signals are."

What is our primary use case?

I work for an elementary school and Meraki's used to cover the entire building with wifi. It's not just a specific location. We're a kindergarten through sixth-grade school — an elementary school.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the product, it's been very good for us. They don't have all of the tools built-in that we would like to have such as heat mapping, but when it comes to managing it, it is straightforward and easily operated. We're able to automate as well as manually control as necessary.

What needs improvement?

This solution could benefit from a heat mapping ability so that you can tell where the hotspots are, and where the good signals are. To have that be available from within the management software would be fantastic.

We've been using this solution for four years.

Stability-wise, it's excellent. However, the software cannot tell us where there are issues. It would be nice if it could point them out to us, but without that event's information, it's more of a challenge. In terms of when we see that it's working, we know that it will be working, period. It's simply reliable.

It's very scalable. We could increase the system we have, but because of its age, we actually need to replace the entire thing at once. So instead of doing it piecemeal and having some of the older products remain while we put in a new product, we would rather replace the whole system.

We have not used Meraki support directly. We haven't had any problems that were so horrible that we needed their assistance.

We're looking at whether to replace Meraki or go with ruckus or Aruba. There are all sorts of options for us. The signal coverage has been quite good with Meraki, but we just simply are in need of a stronger system than what we have now.

I was very surprised. The initial setup was very straightforward.

We had a company (reseller) install this solution because we needed so many access points. Once they put it in place and did the initial configuration, everything was straightforward and easily managed.

I don't recall the licensing cost. There is a hardware cost and separate licensing. We did buy the free lessons, but I can't recall how much it cost.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of caution, I don't have any advice. In terms of a recommendation, it's been a very stable system for us. However, because our needs grew exponentially when we had to go one-to-one for students, this has made things too complicated. That's why we're looking into upgrading and replacing the whole system. Still, Meraki is not off of our list while we're considering new solutions.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of ten.

CG
Advanced IT Executive at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A solid product with good network security and the potential to scale

• "The network security the solution provides is its most valuable aspect."
  • "The licensing could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The product is used mainly for wireless switching security. I like to call it network security, however, they also have products on that end, such as FC LAN. I don't focus too much on the wireless stuff. I focus on the services and products.

What is most valuable?

The network security the solution provides is its most valuable aspect.

Overall, it's a very solid product. I really like it.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution scales very well.

We've found the product to be quite stable.

What needs improvement?

On the performance side, there are always updates to different versions. It's more just getting it out to the client-side that's often the issue.

The licensing could be a bit better.

They should market Meraki as a mid-level solution for SMBs. There are a lot of SMBs out there, and they could use this technology.

I've used the solution for a while, however, it's hard to give a timeframe. I use it as clients use it. They can go on and off of it, or I can be on different accounts.

The stability has been very good. It's very solid. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale very well. There are not problems expanding it if you need to as an organization. It's easy enough to do. Even on an enterprise-level, you can scale.

Technical support is more channeled to the partner side of things. However, Cisco is a great product and has a great team.

I can name a lot of companies that do network security, however, we pull up Cisco Meraki and we read off everything they do.

The initial setup isn't overly complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company shouldn't have trouble implementing it.

I don't deal with pricing directly, however, it's my understanding that it is around $40 per unit. I'm not well versed in MDM pricing, to be honest. It's not something I work with.

I'm more on the managed services, professional services, which includes getting everything set up and dealing with all the problems around it, versus the actual licensing part.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Cisco. Meraki is probably one of the number one solutions. On my team that's all we've talked about or sold. Cisco is 100%, one of our top partners.

Just in terms of network security, there's a lot of digital transformation happening. There will be a lot of moving to the cloud for many customers and you'd be surprised how many enterprises still just aren't prepared for the changes that are coming their way.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's a legitimate switch and a legitimate solution. It does what it says and it gets the job done.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,529 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tim French
IT Manager at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
MSP
Easy to install and manage, but the customization needs improvement.

• "The big draw is the ease of installation. It's easy to manage, and it's easy to implement."
  • "The customization needs to be improved because it's pretty locked down."

What is our primary use case?

We are MSP, resellers. We provide solutions for customers.

Meraki is a good entry-level enterprise Wi-Fi solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Customers that have gone from SMB solutions into the Meraki have noticed an increase in satisfaction in the work.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It's a little bit customizable, but that's where it probably has one of its downfalls. It is not as feature-rich as some of the others.

The customization needs to be improved because it's pretty locked down. You can't customize it much.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see the Radio Control feature included, and improved customization on the radios.

Also, it needs more ability to control it. It works well but you can really change it a lot.

We have been working with Cisco Meraki Wireless Lan for approximately 10 years.

They don't really have versions with Meraki. They have different access points.

It's a very stable product, very mature.

It is scalable, but it definitely suffers during really large implementations.

Technical support is good. They are pretty solid.

I think everywhere there's always improvement to be had. That's just kind of the big thing for technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The usual requirements are less than thirty days to install. It's pretty quick.

We do our pre-installation survey, help design the network, and then implement it, test it, and then make adjustments as required.

Wi-Fi is a necessary evil. You have to have Wi-Fi, so I think that it's a situation where you have to put something in.

Some of the companies have had a return on investments and they will generate revenue off of their Wi-Fi, but that's in hospitality for example.

It's a little bit different for those customers, who have to put a Wi-Fi solution in.

This one from a budgetary standpoint is mid-range. It's not super expensive and it's not super cheap.

It's a good solution.

A lot of customers pick it because it's got decent feature sets and it's not the most expensive in the market.

What other advice do I have?

To anyone who is interested in using this solution, make sure that you're happy with their features and that it's the right solution.

Look at all of its features and also look at its downfalls and/or weaknesses, as well.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is good, but not great.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JA
Domain Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably price and easy to set up but not a fit for enterprise-level customers

• "The product has been very stable over the years."
  • "Meraki is still very much a small office type of solution. It is not a fit for large enterprise networks, as it doesn't have tunneling functionalities."

What is our primary use case?

I haven't deployed it for myself. I have deployed it for customers. I work for a systems integrator.

We use it for Branch-type of installations where you have a small branch. You just need to manage it via the internet. You don't need a controller-type of environment there, for a small office-type of deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a cheaper resource that helps manage a company's WiFi network.

What is most valuable?

The solution's ease of use is great.

The ease of management has been great.

The initial setup is easy.

The product has been very stable over the years.

Technical support is okay.

The pricing is reasonable.

What needs improvement?

If you are configuring Meraki as a RADIUS client, you have to add individual 100 or whatever devices on the site as a RADIUS client. There is no RADIUS proxy option. Therefore, it is pretty much still a good use case for small networks, however, it's not a great use case for larger networks.

The product needs to offer role-based access.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years now. It's been a decade or so. I have quite a bit of experience with it.

The solution is very stable. As long as your internet links are stable, Meraki works perfectly fine. There are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Meraki is not a very scalable solution. It has its own limitations on the number of devices you can deploy. I would say it's not a very scalable solution.

I've contacted technical support a couple of times. They were okay. I didn't have any issues with them; they are fine.

I've used Cisco EROs, Cisco Meraki, Catalyst 9800, Aruba, and Instant Aruba, controller-based.

The initial setup is not complex or difficult. It's very straightforward.

The pricing is okay. However, they don't have a perpetual license option. Regardless of what type of functionality a customer is looking for, they have to go for subscription-based licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a Cisco partner.

Meraki is a public cloud. With Meraki, you don't have a private cloud solution.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Alex Jenkins
Director at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A cloud-based solution with a GUI and perfect stability, scalability, and support

• "It is cloud-based. It has a GUI rather than a command line, and it just works."
  • "The biggest pain point is that they limit you through firewall throughput. I understand why they do it, but that really grates me. For instance, for 450 Mbps throughput, you're looking at £800 for a router, whereas if you look at the one gig connection, for some of us are lucky enough to have a gig connection, you could almost be spending £3,000 for the option to have one gig connectivity. That's one of the pain points I've got. I don't mind paying for throughput, but I should at least have the option to be able to update that throughput, maybe through extra licensing or something else. It is crazy expensive to jump through to the next one."

What is our primary use case?

There are so many use cases. You can have multiple SSIDs and different LANs such as
guests, private, or hidden. There are so many options with it.

It is cloud-based, but the physical hardware is on-premises. We are using the Enterprise version.

What is most valuable?

It is cloud-based. It has a GUI rather than a command line, and it just works.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a good couple of years.

It is perfect in terms of stability.

It is perfect in terms of scalability. I've got one system here in the UAE and one in London, and I haven't even touched the one in London, and I can do it all from here.

Their support is perfect. They're there 24/7, 365 days a year. Whether you email or phone in, there is always someone there to help you.

Its initial setup is straightforward.

Its licensing is on a yearly basis. It can be for three, five, or ten years.

I'm happy with the pricing. You basically pay for what you get. It is that simple. When you look at Ubiquiti or Aruba, Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN far outweighs what you get. If you're in the UK, Ubiquiti gives a three-year or five-year warranty, whereas here in the UAE, they only give a one-year warranty, which is no good to me. Who buys a piece of equipment with only one year warranty on it? It doesn't make sense.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but there are limitations with some of these devices. The main issue that I have is related to the throughput. You can get any router that will do a gig connection, but you don't get the other features.

I would rate Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN an eight out of ten.

EC
Director with 51-200 employees
Reseller
A flexible product complete with integrated security and content filtering

• "The captive portal feature is my favorite. It allows us to keep track of how many people are entering our client's businesses."
  • "The signal coverage radius could be extended."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for offices, small retail stores, and restaurants. Most of our clients are medium-sized businesses.

Most of our clients have around 200 employees. There are around 50 access point users.

Only one person is required for maintenance.

What is most valuable?

Also, the security and content filtering that's included on the cloud is great.

What needs improvement?

The signal coverage radius could be extended. I would also like to have a planner for designs.

I have been using Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN for roughly eight years.

Stability-wise, it's very good. The problem is the coverage.

Scalability-wise, it's excellent. You can integrate with other products like MX, the firewall and router of Meraki, and you can also integrate with Umbrella which is cloud security from Cisco. You can also add more access points very easily.

Cisco's technical support is excellent. Still, sometimes it takes a while for them to respond. There is also a lot of information on their web page for support.

We used to use Aruba and Cisco Access Point. Cloud management was the main difference between these solutions. We have more flexibility with Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN.

The initial setup is easy but it's important to have training.

Configuration takes around one hour. It's the same for any access point but the installation depends on the physical installation — overall, it takes around three hours.

Meraki is a very good solution, but the price is quite high for small markets. We are based in Mexico and within Latin America, most of our customers think that this is an expensive solution compared to other brands. Overall, we think that the price is too high.

For example, the cheapest license subscription is around $600. It's around $1,200 for one access point. This is really expensive for one customer. Other brands charge the same amount for around five access points.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend this solution because it's easy to use and secure — the security is integrated. Apps can also be integrated very easily and it's very scalable.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN a rating of eight.

MA
Senior Network Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
East to use with content filtering but needs a more detailed dashboard

• "The solution is easy to use."
  • "The dashboard could be a bit better. I'd like to see more information about the whole controller and APs. It should be as simple and convenient."

What is our primary use case?

It's for our head offices, remote offices branches. The solution is primarily used for giving access to our users, including controlling their access and granting access.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use. With the cloud dashboard, it's easy to control the APs and other items. It has controlling, content filtering, and other options. A lot of things are there. It has a lot of great features.

The solution is stable.

The scalability is good.

What needs improvement?

I am new to this solution. At the moment, I am not the right person or in a position to suggest something new or point out something that's lacking. I time to use it properly and see the pros and cons of the product and the requirements regarding our business.

The dashboard could be a bit better. I'd like to see more information about the whole controller and APs. It should be as simple and convenient.

I haven't used the solution for very long. It's been about a month.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It does not crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the solution is great. However, it depends on the business' needs.

I can't speak to technical support. I didn't actually open any ticket, so I am not sure. I can't say how responsive or helpful they are.

I've been using Aruba Wireless Controller, and Huawei - just the controller. I'm new to this environment and I'm new to the device.

I did not handle the initial setup and I didn't configure anything. I've just started administering the solution actually. I can't speak to the implementation process and how difficult or simple it is.

I can't speak to the pricing or licensing. It's not an aspect of the solution I take care of.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers and technical users.

We use different versions, such as the MX64, 800 series, and 100 series.

At the moment, I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten. I have no experience, or at least, not too much experience yet.

Mike-Robinson
Owner at Mar Consulting Services
Reseller
Easy to set up and maintain, provide good visibility, and will email regular status updates

• "The emailing of statuses is the most valuable feature."
  • "The annual maintenance is something that needs to be changed."

What is our primary use case?

These switches are part of our wireless network infrastructure. I have implemented them at 15 or 16 locations, each with between one and seven access points (APs).

What is most valuable?

The emailing of statuses is the most valuable feature. For example, if you lose power to the building or you lose your internet connection, you get an email to explain that it has happened. This gives you the opportunity, even in the middle of the night, to be en route to solve the problem before the office even opens up.

They provide good visibility on what's going on.

What needs improvement?

The annual maintenance is something that needs to be changed.

I have been using Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN products for ten years.

These switches are very stable.

The technical support is very good. They are responsible and knowledgeable. On the Meraki side, you get through right away, whereas, on the Cisco side, you put in a call, and then it is difficult to predict when they will return it.

I have a large number of Meraki Wireless LAN switches including MR12, MR16, MR32, MR42, and MR46 models. I also use other Meraki equipment within our infrastructure.

These switches are very easy to set up, and it is also very easy to upgrade the firmware.

These units cost between $800 and $900 per device and on top of that, you have to pay yearly fees for maintenance. The annual maintenance costs about $75 per year, which is why we are moving away from this solution.

We are moving to another line of products because of the yearly maintenance fee.

We will be implementing Fortinet products in our infrastructure, with FortiAPs and our wireless access points. The speed of the FortiAP is triple that of my Meraki MR, and the purchase price is $500 versus $900. The is no annual maintenance fee on the FortiAP.

Fortinet is up and coming and on the leading edge right now.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but we're moving away from Meraki because we no longer want to pay annual maintenance fees.

Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.