Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is #4 ranked solution in top Wireless LAN tools. IT Central Station users give Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN an average rating of 8 out of 10. Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is most commonly compared to Aruba Wireless:Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN vs Aruba Wireless. Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 50% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN?
Cisco Meraki access points are built from the highest grade components and carefully optimized for a seamless user experience. The outcome: faster connections, greater user capacity, more coverage, and fewer support calls. The Cisco Meraki dashboard gives visibility into the network users, their devices, and their applications. Armed with rich analytics, administrators can quickly create access control and application usage policies, optimizing both the end-user experience and network security.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN is also known as MR18, MR26, MR32, MR34, MR66, MR72, Meraki Wireless LAN, Meraki WLAN.

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Customers
Advanced Medical Transport, Banco de Guayaquil, Baylor Scott & White Health, BH Telecom, Bowling Green State University, Calligaris, Children's Hospital Colorado, City of Biel, Del Papa Distributing, Department of Justice, Dimension Data, Dualtec Cloud Builders, Electricity Authority of Cyprus, Grupo Industrial Saltillo (GIS), Hertz, K&L Gates , LightEdge, Lone Star College System, Management Science Associates, Mindtree, NBC Olympics, Quest, Sony Corporation, The Department of Education in Western Australia, Valley Proteins
Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Video

Archived Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Reviews (more than two years old)

DP
Associate Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Very Good Simple Solution that is Great for management but It comes at a premium to do so.

• "It's simple to manage when there's a problem."
  • "It could be slightly cheaper but it's fine."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an Associate Engineer and as part of my work is that I look after a number of companies where I recommend and install different network equipment. Anything from the SonicWall networks, Fortinet, you name it, depending on what the client requirements are. I would prefer high-end and that could mean Ubiquiti, Mojo, and Cisco. In terms of the version I would choose, it really depends on the client's requirements. We deal with small, medium and enterprise size companies.

How has it helped my organization?

From an organizational perspective, Meraki has made a difference because it's simple to manage with High level of detail and troubleshooting access, when there's a problem.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature would have to be the cloud management with high level of detail and ability to be able to use all the information to troubleshoot issues remotely before having someone onsite.

What needs improvement?

The product is fine as it is. Having been in the IT industry for nearly 20 years, there's nothing that jumps out at me. The product is improving all the time. It could be slightly cheaper but it's fine. It's actually a very good product.

I've been working with Cisco for 10 years. Meraki is more recent, maybe three or four years.

The product is very stable.

It's not exactly the cheapest solution in terms of scalability, but it's very good. A lot of my clients have to look at other alternatives because of the cost and it's likely that in the end, they take Mojo even though I don't like that product as much. If I were going to choose an alternative to Cisco it would be Ubiquiti but it all comes down to cost.

Cisco provide good support and there have been times when we've needed it.

What other advice do I have?

We can deploy on-premises or on the cloud, but it's usually cloud. The amount of time it takes to deploy is really dependent on the client and the size of the company.

I would suggest that sometimes it might be better to spend more money on better equipment that will perform a lot better, so if you have the funds go for it, but if not, then you have to work within your budget.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.

AK
Senior Network Specialist at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good technical support, but not stable and has poor functionality

• "Cisco's technical support is very good and better than other vendors."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see a third-party high tech center to connect multiple users to a particular network."

What is most valuable?

This is a cloud-based solution that is easily managed. You can manage the visibility and the cloud controller.

It's a cloud solution that we can access from anywhere, on a mobile phone or any device. We can connect to it, manage it, and we can configure it. It's simple, really easy.

What needs improvement?

The stability of this solution is not good. It needs improvement.

Operation-wise this solution has some problems and the functionality is not very good.

I have been using this solution for fifteen years.

This solution is not stable.

This solution is still evolving and sometimes the authentication stops working and the client is not able to browse anything even though it is connected. It's quite an unstable solution.

This solution is scalable. It's good and we have no issues.

Cisco's technical support is very good and better than other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
WM
Senior Product Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A flexible solution that provides great in-depth visibility for network analytics

• "The most amazing part is that their Access Points have the ability to connect to multiple conference devices at different times, and it shows you the very in-depth Wi-Fi analytics through their dashboard."
  • "We would like to see Wi-Fi 6 support for devices sold in the Middle East."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator and this is one of the products that we provide to our customers.

I develop, market, and strategize products.

We have customers in all sorts of market segments including large businesses, government, SMEs, retail, hospitals, hotels, and others. We have a lot of clients who use this product.

How has it helped my organization?

Well since we are reselling the Meraki as Partner product, the aim was to choose the vendor for the organization as revenue-generating and enhance customer experience product, Meraki happened to be the best fit in this regard. We marketed this product according to regional market trends, and it generated potential sales leads for the company.

What is most valuable?

One of the best features of this solution is that it has enough in-depth visibility for the people who connect to their wireless technology.

This solution is quite flexible and compatible with other devices.

The most amazing part is that their access points have the ability to connect to multiple conference devices at different times, and it shows you the very in-depth Wi-Fi analytics through their dashboard.

This solution is simple and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

These products are more suitable for SMB rather than an enterprise for one of the listed Access Points like MR-20, Whereas MR-33 and above models covers and target the Enterprise customers.

We would like to see Wi-Fi 6 support for devices sold in the Middle East, however, Meraki has introduced WiFi-6 where we would strategize our GTM plans for WiFi 6, where we would offer WiFi 6 to specific customers with extensive needs of high WiFi availability in KSA.

I have been working this solution for almost one year.

It's a very stable solution, the stability of wireless networks depends upon a lot of factor like how much and complex the requirement is for the customer, its not always necessary to have bulk Access Point installed on customer site, in case of Meraki as of different model option and feature like high-density broadcasting, few access points would be enough to cover WiFi coverage, The solution itself is stable. As its cloud-based Access Points, The stability in Meraki networks is autonomous.

This solution is scalable.

The service with them has been amazing. I would rate their technical support a nine out of ten.

We did competitive and comparative analysis while we were in the ideation phase for the company, having said that, after reaching conclusion to our ideation study, we found Meraki as a market leader in WiFi technology from a commercial perspective as well as features and benefits to end customers. Thus we choose to go with Meraki as our Strategic Partner for our standard WiFi product.

The initial setup of this solution is plug and play and very straightforward.

We never used vendor teams to install or configure rather we have our own certified people working to install the configure the Meraki network at customer premises. In fact, we have our own business processes which the organization follows.

The setup cost varies from Service Provider to others, how they want to build the cost model. The licensing part for Meraki is extensible, it depends on which model you would choose to offer to the market as SP. Mostly pricing models are yearly contractual fees, but normally you would pay as one time cost as SP. In our case, we followed the international pricing trend for WiFi where you Bundle connectivity Per Access Point on a flat-rate monthly fee, and the customer doesn't want to pay extra charges and want easy to install plug and play solutions. In that specific case, you transfer the ownership of the hardware to the customer, while you charge only for Monitoring and Management which are minimal fees.

We did look into other options, there are pros and cons, but since the company strategy was to focus on SME's, we found Meraki was the most suitable option. The option that we were looking for the Field Operations for Site Survey, Meraki Access Point had features like Site Survey Mode where Access Point would detect the signal strength and adjust its broadcasting range to premises where it was installed. In other vendors, we did not find that feature. This was important for us to make an easier job for our Field Operations teams who would visit the customer site to install the WiFi Solution, it saved time and efforts and especially the Site Survey cost which was Plus in reducing the Operations Opex for WiFi.

What other advice do I have?

The implementation and suitability of this product depend on the client and the want they want to achieve.

When it comes to Wi-Fi wireless technology, you also have to consider 5G. The 5G is already here and it's the fastest, ever, wireless network. There is going to be a conflict between Wi-Fi and 5G when it comes to what enterprises are using. Wi-Fi 6 will help to keep the technology in the market.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

NL
Presale Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly with a great dashboard and very good scalability

• "The solution is easily scalable. There are not really any limits for the customer in terms of expanding if they need to."
  • "Meraki should share their viability roadmap. It is really hard to know which functionality will appear or when they will be available. It is also hard to know which features are available now but are not visible on the dashboard."

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is the solution's most valuable feature. It's very user-friendly. It's a good solution for people that don't have a big technical team.

What needs improvement?

In many wireless solutions, there are a lot of things that can be added, like WiFi 6.

Meraki should share its viability roadmap. It is really hard to know which functionality will appear or when they will be available. It is also hard to know which features are available now but are not visible on the dashboard.

In France, there's a law that requires we should keep a log of connection for 1 year, so it would be really nice to have a solution or feature that allows us to keep a log in the cloud during the year with log rotations and secure log authorizations. Right now, in France, it is not possible.

I've been dealing with the solution for 25 years.

So far, we haven't had issues with stability.

The technical support of Meraki is very good. They're always quick to answer. You can create a case on your dashboard and after a maximum of 30 minutes, they contact you. This is a great process. Many other solutions should copy their support model.

The initial setup is easy; it's not complex at all.

In terms of deployment, depending on the customer, it can be installed rather quickly. A customer can even handle the installation themselves.  Some may need more help with design, and it can take a bit more time to do that, but overall it's rather simple.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner with Cisco. We create architecture for customers and design solutions for surveillance products. We also deploy WiFi production engineers from our company.

My advice to others considering implementation is to be aware of Meraki limitations. If you are not sure if the features you need are available, you should verify that with Meraki. It will keep you from having any surprises down the road.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's a really good product.

RL
Project Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Has excellent stability, it works and doesn't stop

• "The most valuable feature is the stability. It works and doesn't stop."
  • "I'd like better integration with security providers."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for business, the end within the business, no guests or anything like that. We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the stability. It works and doesn't stop.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, we're waiting on is the new standard WiFi 6. That's really where the research comes into. With wifi coming out, we're going to refresh everything. Hence we're going to look at the top three players.

I'd like better integration with security providers.

I've been using this solution for around eight years.

It is stable. We've never had any bugs.

It's scalable. We have between 50-100 users in my company. The users are our general employees.

We don't require any staff for maintenance. For the deployment, we required four staff members. We have plans for increasing usage. The idea is to double it in size with Wifi 6.

We were in touch with technical support a while ago. They just said what was in the book.

We previously used Aruba Wireless. We switched because of the price. It wasn't my choice, it was my client's choice.

The initial setup was complex. It took about 200 hours.

Our deployment strategy was to get it all in and then get all hardware in, put one service layer at a time. When it's finished, disable all the old stuff. After migrating the clients, disable all the old stuff.

I reached out to Cisco for boilerplate plans and worked on their standard design for a smaller office.

After the third year, because it's Cisco, the prices go higher.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone considering this solution would be to use the white paper comparisons, they're excellent. Particularly not a newspaper review of a product, as it comes out of the box. That does nothing. But it has to really be an installation that is similar to yours. It might match the number of sites or match the number of consumers in the end but it has to be similar in some ways. Not a lab, a lab work doesn't tell you anything. That's like a practice run.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

EG
Technical Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
MSP
A fully-managed Wi-Fi solution to provide internet access for our guests

• "We can deploy it and check in on our customers without having an on-site connection or an on-site infrastructure for elderly customers."
  • "The technical support for Meraki needs improvements made to the waiting times."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to allow access to our guests and to grant our employees Wi-Fi access while at work. Mainly we use Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN as a Wi-Fi solution, occasionally as switches, but primarily as a wireless solution.

The deployment model was on a public cloud.

What is most valuable?

What I like most about this solution is that it is a fully managed solution. We can deploy it and check in on our customers without having an on-site connection or an on-site infrastructure for elderly customers.

What needs improvement?

The technical support for Meraki needs improvements made to the waiting times. The explanation when you have problems, and the tools in place to follow the case, are not very good.

They should reconsider the rules under licensing. If you do not pay your subscription within the month of it being due, the use of the product will stop.

I have been using this solution for four years.

This is a stable solution, it's perfect! We have not had any issues with glitches or crashes. Once it's installed, it's running all of the time without problems.

This solution is scalable.

We have more than one thousand users, and we have plans to increase usage in the future.

I have contacted the technical support once or twice but to be honest, the technical support is not very good for Meraki.

I had contacted the technical assistance center for Cisco to order parts, and they have a really good support center.

On the Meraki end, it is not the best part of this solution.

Previously we used other solutions from Cisco, other vendors, and small vendors with local Wi-Fi controllers.

The configuration for our customers was very complex so we switched to Cisco Meraki Wireless.

A person who doesn't have the experience or background will need some assistance in the beginning. They will not be able to open the box without one or two words of explanation, after that, it is very easy.

This solution is very easy to deploy, install, and to manage.

We have an experienced internal team in place that knows the features in the deployment of Meraki products very well. They know how to manage it and we propose this to our customers as well.

We are resellers and we did the implementation ourselves.

You have to renew your contract every year, or for three or for five years. If you do not pay right away they will suspend your subscription.

You only have the option to pay yearly, not monthly.

This solution is expensive, but it's a Cisco product and the solution is really stable. You pay for the quality of the product.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution, it's really good.

It's a good solution for small to medium-sized businesses or companies. We sell this solution to small businesses here in Belgium.

Meraki is easier to configure than other solutions, which is most likely the reason why Cisco purchased Meraki.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

AF
User at a tech services company
Good monitoring and reporting features, and easy to install

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the management tools, including monitoring and reporting. It can also be used for monitoring photos for all iPhones. It's an awesome application!

What needs improvement?

The price is good, but it could be improved. The camera needs improvement because currently, it only accepts a 128-gigabyte memory card. It's too small to record a video. In the future, I would like to see IP telephony in Saudi Arabia. It is currently not available.

I have been using this solution for one month.

The stability is very good.

The scalability of this solution is good.

How are customer

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price is good, but it could be improved.

I have been using this solution for one month.

The stability is very good.

The scalability of this solution is good.

The support for this solution is good. They're brilliant.

The initial setup was very easy to install.

AA
Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Flexible cloud solution that offers good administration, management, development, and deployment features

• "The flexibility, since it's a cloud service, is the most valuable feature of this solution."
  • "There is only one particular thing that needs improvement. Sometimes, for example, when you need to open a ticket, although it's under the umbrella of Cisco, you still need to go to the Meraki support."

What is most valuable?

The flexibility, since it's a cloud service, is the most valuable feature of this solution. As well as:

• The administration
  • Management of the whole platform
  • Development
  • Deployment options in the cloud

What needs improvement?

There is only one particular thing that needs improvement. Sometimes, for example, when you need to open a ticket, although it's under the umbrella of Cisco, you still need to go to the Meraki support. We had issues with Cisco in general. We have multiple platforms from Cisco but when it came to Meraki, we thought to go to another support team to open a case. That's something that might be improved. My opinion and recommendation would be that when you open a case at Cisco, Meraki should be irrelevant. You should have the same support experience just as we have with Cisco.

In the next release, they should improve the way that you engage support. Once you engage them, they are quite knowledgeable and they are okay. There's no issue with that.

I have been using this solution for a year and half.

It's stable. In terms of our users, we have guest users and such. It might be that on a particular day we have about a thousand clients and devices connected to the platform.

It's scalable.

The technical support is good. We never had any particular dispute. From the technical point of view, the technical support is fine. The only thing is the thing that although it's Cisco, you have Meraki dashboards.

We did have another wireless solution that was made up of bits and pieces from different vendors and obviously Meraki was one of the vendors that integrated everything together. So you had one platform from one supply manufacturer. That's a big plus for them.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. As always in technology, you have difficulties. It was normal on the second deployment because it was in phases. You will always have failures but that's normal.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten and would recommend it.

PD
    Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Easy to deploy, good integration with other Meraki products, and very good technical support

• "The functionalities are quite professional and complete. It offers good integration with other Meraki products, like switches and the firewall. You can get an overview of all networks and the host. It's really great; nobody else can do that."
    • "The commercial version of the solution could be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy for deployments. As we are an integrator, we sometimes have several levels separating the customer and our work. With this solution, the customer can look at his environment, and we also have the right to monitor it and to configure it if we need to from our end.

What needs improvement?

Some operations can be quicker within the solution. When it is deployed and registered on Meraki cloud, when you move, for example, a device from one customer to another, you need to un-claim the device from Customer A, and then claim it to Customer B. This process can take one hour. If they could shorten this time to about 10 minutes or so, that would be ideal.

The commercial version of the solution could be cheaper.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability of the solution is good. It's stable almost all of the time. We haven't experienced any crashes or anything of that nature.

The solution is scalable. It's very easy. If a company grows, we just have to do a few clicks and it's ready.

Technical support is good. We're satisfied with them so far. They're very interactive, knowledgable, and quick.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We're an integrator. We handle the implementation ourselves. Sometimes we may need support from Meraki directly for very specific keys and some expertise, but it's very rare.

The price is quite high, but it does have higher functionalities as well. You pay a lot, but you get a good product. Still, it could potentially be 10-15% cheaper than it is.

We pay a yearly subscription. It's my understanding that you can pay for one, two, three or five-year subscriptions. There aren't any fees above that.

What other advice do I have?

We use the public cloud deployment model.

I'd recommend the solution. It does depend on what the organization needs, however.

I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Henk Uittenbogaard
    CEO at AnyWi Technologies BV
    Reseller
    A good quality product that is scalable and stable

• "Multiple access ID capabilities, meshing, and the quality of the product itself are all valuable features."
    • "Unfortunately, we have to deal with European privacy laws and as far as we can see, the solution is not compliant with these. It's why we're not able to continue with Cisco Meraki. They need to become compliant with GDPR laws."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily create outdoor usage of city-wide networks. It's mostly for visitors to the city and students at the university.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Unfortunately, we have to deal with European privacy laws and as far as we can see, the solution is not compliant with these. It's why we're not able to continue with Cisco Meraki. They need to become compliant with GDPR laws.

They should make the solution more transparent so we can better see what the system does.

I've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is stable. We haven't had issues with the hardware.

The solution is scalable.

Sometimes it takes a while for technical support to get back to you and their suggestions have been inaccurate occasionally. However, largely we're satisfied with technical support. The time they gave us inaccurate information, the situation was related to an HD problem of GDPR security. The answers provided were not accurate for countries in Europe.

The initial setup is straightforward but we've had a lot of experience with the solution. An installation of an average of five to 10 units takes half a day to a full day.

We handled the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

We work mainly with small and medium enterprises. We deploy the MR72 and 73 versions of the solution.

In general, the solution performs well in Europe, but it doesn't comply with the GDPR, so we're not allowed to use it.

I'd rate it eight out of ten.

MH
    IT Security and Infrastructure Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
    Reseller
    Easy to manage and configure with good technical support

• "The solution is very stable. It is a very manageable and secure system."
    • "In a future release, they should offer a next-generation UTM, where you can manage all items and the network, and have it include a lot of security features like fingerprinting functionality."

What is most valuable?

It's a cloud-managed network, which makes it easy to manage and to configure. You can configure the access points before it reaches your offices and can configure it through serial numbers. You can add the serial number of the access point and the Meraki dashboard. It's easy.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, they should offer a next-generation UTM, where you can manage all items and the network, and have it include a lot of security features like fingerprinting functionality.

I've been using the solution for about two years.

The solution is very stable. It is a very manageable and secure system.

The technical support is very good. They reply immediately.

What other advice do I have?

I work with various versions of the solution, including MR32, MR33 and MR42. We're a reseller of the solution. We typically handle enterprise-level clients.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

AF
    Senior Tech Support Specialist at a university with 501-1,000 employees
    Traffic analytics give us insight and the management and upgrades are very simple and straightforward

• "The management and upgrades are very simple and straightforward."
    • "Technical support can be improved, as well as having more detailed capabilities to go without using an API."

What is our primary use case?

We use our Meraki system to provide new IOD access and internal access for wifi devices.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides an easy login page for most students.

In terms of wireless network visibility, we have a lot more insight into what students are doing now. We can track down peer to peer very quickly and can just lock it down. If we find an offender that gets caught with the law, we can direct the authorities directly to them.

The solution also reduced our false positives by about 50%, as well as saves us time, money, and administrative work.

What is most valuable?

The management and upgrades are very simple and straightforward.

Traffic analytics give us insight, but they don't decrypt anything.

What needs improvement?

I would be interested in seeing more enterprise-level, advanced user features.

Technical support can be improved, as well as having more detailed capabilities to go without using an API.

I would rate scalability as five out of ten. It's kind of hard to say.

Their technical support is hit or miss.

The wifi solution that we had before wasn't great so we had to go with something else.

It's a pretty good value, but not great. Pricing is on a yearly basis for the Meraki solution.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest lesson we've learned is that wifi systems are very complicated. My advice is to be sure you understand the depth that the system gives you.

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten. It's a pretty solid solution. It lacks the advanced features that I would like to see to do proper wireless engineering, but it's a pretty solid solution.

JM
    Vice President at Radeon Technologies Ltd.
    Reseller
    Provides excellent visibility into the network and we can usually resolve the problem online without having to go onsite

• "Its ability to be cloud-managed is the most valuable feature so if there's a reconfiguration or an issue, we have excellent visibility into the network and we can usually resolve the problem online without having to go onsite."
    • "The logging sometimes doesn't give us the granularity needed. Some of the rules are a bit more complicated. The switch ports on the routers are not individually addressable, in the sense that with a switch you can tell what MAC address is on what port but with the security appliances, you can't, which would be beneficial for troubleshooting."

What is our primary use case?

We resell it to our customers for networking, wifi, and security.

How has it helped my organization?

For some of our larger clients, it has enabled them to not need to grow staff in order to retain a large 13 access point network has needed a lot of reconfiguration because of the nature of our business. We are able to maintain that and the responses even after hours because we can usually make changes rapidly.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The logging sometimes doesn't give us the granularity needed. Some of the rules are a bit more complicated. The switch ports on the routers are not individually addressable, in the sense that with a switch you can tell what MAC address is on what port but with the security appliances, you can't, which would be beneficial for troubleshooting.

I would like to see more information on what is plugged into each MX switch port. I would also like to be able to see that the templates would be able to be used because we're in MSP, so if I create a template, I have to recreate the template with each of our clients. I'd prefer to create one template and then personalize it for each client which is a little extra work that way.

The dashboard security is not as good as it could be in terms of provision users. If I provision the user at the high level, I'd like to give them rights to our customers so if I have a new technician, I have to go and touch each customer and add that technician which is kind of silly.

It's quite stable. There are relatively few issues we've had with the product. Compared to others, it's more stable than most.

It scales well up to the larger midsize enterprise. The MX appliances are less scalable than the wifi or the switches. They're a little underpowered and so that's the point where you'd move to a different solution if you needed more scalability if you had more bandwidth requirements. We currently have 150 users.

Their technical support is good. It's really easy to get someone and they try to help and work to resolve the issue. I'm pleased with their support.

We've also used D-Link, Netgear, and other similar solutions and Cisco small business solutions as well. We found Meraki is easier to deploy and easier to maintain.

We also evaluated WatchGuard, SonicWall, and Ubiquiti but we found Meraki to be superior.

The initial setup. The deployment was very quick. It takes under half an hour to fully deploy on site.

We've definitely had a good ROI. It helps our support resources as well as gives the customer a good product.

Meraki is certainly not the cheapest solution. The coterminous licensing that they do is a challenge with some of the sites where there's corporate and franchise sites. If a franchise is buying in and they want to put them on the same dashboard, it means that their license is going to expire earlier than it should. The fact that if you don't license it, it just stops working has been a challenge. It's not as friendly as would be ideal, where other solutions will not allow you to do any changes but it will keep working. If some of our clients are less organized at renewals this is a little bit adverse. MX appliances are a little overpriced for their power.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Henrik Kruse Lykkegaard
    Network System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reseller
    The scalability is more or less endless. I have not seen problems with adding 100's or 1000's of devices.

• "It improved the installation time."
    • "It's performing well, really well. We don't have any issues. We only have issues if there is a lot of rogue APs in the neighborhood and that not Meraki's fault."
    • "if there is a better feature, they write it as beta so you have to be careful."

What is our primary use case?

I love the ease of deployment and the dashboard. These are the the main selling points of this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the installation time. It's very easy to get an overview without the expensive monitoring software because you can get it more of less for free with the dashboard. You get a lot of insights out of the box.

What needs improvement?

There are many improvements that can be made. Mainly in the radio parts, they need to include some more features but it is hard to say exactly what we want. We had have a few cases where we could not use Meraki because it could not do advanced routing features, and so on, but it is very unlikely that Meraki would include that in the next releases. We have tried to push it because we are quite a big reseller in the Nordic region.

More than five years.

I would say overall it's really stable. When they realize features, it looks like it is well tested and they don't just release them to release a new feature and if it's a better feature they write it as beta so please be careful.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We always think it is best to consider:

• Management
    • Price
    • Including new technologies

The price can be negotiated.

What other advice do I have?

For big enterprise, I would definitely use Meraki. They are doing something really special stuff.

Peter Katanov
    Citrix/VMWare/Windows/Office365/Exchange Administrator at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
    Cloud-based dashboard allows me to see all my locations in one place

• "This product has allowed us to easily create custom SSIDs for clients and carve out the necessary bandwidth for clients needs."
    • "I really love their cloud-based dashboard which allows me to see all my locations from one location."
    • "I would like to see them improve their support where an assigned engineer can take the case all the way to closure. Usually, you get a different engineer calling regarding the same ticket."

What is our primary use case?

Our environment consists of five locations and we are using the Meraki APs in all of them for user/guest WiFi access.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
    • Central management
    • Pretty reliable devices

I also really love their cloud-based dashboard which allows me to see all my locations in one place.

What needs improvement?

I believe every product always has room for improvement. When it comes to Meraki I would like to see them improve their support where an assigned engineer can take the case all the way to closure. Usually, you get a different engineer calling regarding the same ticket.

Three to five years.
    it_user811320
    CEO with 1-10 employees
    Allows me to integrate another system very quickly, as we continue expanding for our client

• "It will allow me to integrate another system very quickly, as we continue expanding for our client."
    • "It has good security with its Layer 7 protections."

What is our primary use case?

I use it both at my home office, and we just installed it for one of our clients with about 11 different units in their building. We have been pretty impressed with it.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization immensely. We were using:

1. Not enough access points at one of my clients. They did not have enough.
      2. They were using Ubiquiti, which was getting overloaded with traffic. Therefore, it has been a big speed improvement, as well as in coverage.

What is most valuable?

I find it very easy to manage because of the cloud management, so I can update all my buildings at once and see all of my clients from one spot. That is probably one of my favorite features, as well as it has good security with its Layer 7 protections. It has a lot of overall functionality.

What needs improvement?

At this price point, I would not mind seeing a four-way channel, instead of a 3x3 or a 4x4, like they do in the Cisco Aironet system with their other brand. For the same price point in this other Cisco brand, it is a lot cheaper, and you can get a slightly better throughput than you can with these. It does not have the cloud-base. This would be something that I would like to see, and they do have it in their bigger units, just not at the price point we were at for the MR 42s.

Less than one year.

So far, there have not been any issues.

The only ones that we did have were with some wiring in the building.

The products were fine. The only time they have gone down is when they first had to do firmware updates. It has only been three weeks, but so far, they have worked very well.

I have not had any issues with scalability. If we need any more, it is literally just plug and play. It will immediately go in the network, because it is cloud-based. Everything from the network is on the cloud, so it just pushes right into the new device.

I have not yet talked to technical support.

I talk to our rep if I have any questions because I have a direct Cisco rep.

We had Ubiquiti UniFi and the standard APs. They were not the ACs; they were the standard APs. Their coverage was always rough. We had a lot of dropouts due to speed issues, and this particular client of mine was putting in a new system in their building, and we knew this was going to push the WiFi really hard. Therefore, we knew we would have to upgrade it when we put the system in.

It was very straightforward. I did all the setup on it.

If you are wondering if Meraki can work for you, contact one of their representatives because they will do onsite trials where you can set up their system. If it does not work, you can send it back to them for no charge.

We were looking at improving the system that we currently had with Ubiquiti. We also did consider Ruckus and Cisco (the standard Cisco units).

The reason I went with Meraki was mainly for its ease of setup and control of multiple locations, which this client has. It will allow me to integrate another system very quickly, as we continue expanding for them. Being an offsite vendor, and having remote access into it, the simplicity of that made a big difference in choosing their system.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The device needs to hold up to what they are telling me it can do. I want to see good throughput from it, as well as that it has security and protection.

Usability is a big one. How simple it is, easy it is to set up, use, and for the client to understand. Finally, it would be the technical support. They have to have a good technical support base.

Aimee White
      Info Sec Consultant at Size 41 Digital
      We can easily monitor the up/down time so establishing KPIs and SLAs for the IT department becomes something attainable, but there can be problems if using older POS devices.

• "The dashboard to keep track of 30 or so APs, switches, routers and logs, is invaluable. I liked the UX on this."
      • "The error logs need to be much more comprehensive."

What is most valuable?

Notifications (minus the techno-speak so it's obvious what the problem is) help us respond to access points down or rogue access points attempting connections.

Tracking the usage of staff, access points, switches and routers becomes an insanely easy thing and so do producing reports for your Exec team.

Splash screens for T&C sign off by users are very easy to implement - it takes about 30 seconds to put a splash screen up. RADIUS and SSO are possible with similar ease.

Networks can be segmented into SSIDs very easily for those needing to provided users, office, POS, Events, etc, with seperated access. You can then monitor the usage down to a single MAC address for great granularity.

Reporting is easy - press two buttons et viola!

How has it helped my organization?

It's cut down the amount of time administering an expansive WiFi network spread over 43 acres.

We can easily monitor the up/down time so establishing KPIs and SLAs for the IT department becomes something attainable.

Adding APs is a very simple process. Plug in. Turn on. Meshes with the existing network. In an emergency, almost anyone can do it.

What needs improvement?

The error logs need to be much more comprehensive.

4 years

There can be problems if using older POS devices, WiFi APs, and you have a lot of people with mobiles around. So, say, a large event. The mix of signals can kill the WiFi APs and then you are left hard wiring "mobile" tills. Be aware if you're carrying old equipment.

Good.

Very good. Some times the odd problem may drag and require a dog-with-a-bone approach but that's the same everywhere.

Negotiate the deal put in front of you!

Senior Network Engineer/Mobility Specialist at CCSI - Contemporary Computer Services, Inc.

What is most valuable?

The Dashboard, with its centralized "cloud" interface is the most valuable feature of Meraki. If you are a smaller organization, have a small IT staff, and/or basic wireless needs Meraki provides the perfect solution. That is not to say that larger more educated organizations might not also find Meraki to be a great fit.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Meraki as a managed service provider for several clients that found the product and price a fit for their organization.

What needs improvement?

One of the virtues of the product could possibly be viewed as an achilles heel. The product is straightforward and does not have lots of features and fine tuning available vendors such as Cisco and Aruba. Some may be available when unlocked by Meraki TAC, but the product is not as feature rich as non-cloud offerings. This may be viewed as a positive by many users that do not want the complexity that comes with the extra features.

I have been certified and used this product for 3 years.

Very few issues. TAC works well with standard requests. If one needs something very advanced and rarely needed the TAC has difficulty escalating quickly.

The product is completely stable in our implementations.

The Meraki products scale quite well by allowing multiple organization with subdivisions of "networks" APs can be added to networks and tagged with other information as well. I would say that it works best for organizations with many diverse locations with smaller numbers of APs.

I would say that customer service is an 8/10

For basic technical support I give a 9/10. Once in the BETA program Irate Meraki a 10/10. The area in between basic support and "white glove" BETA program support is a little rough as I think most Meraki users keep things simple.

My company implements Cisco and Meraki and are certified for both. As I am also Aruba certified we occasionally service Aruba implementations.

Setup is very straightforward. The GUI is very intuitive.

We are the vendor doing the implementation and often maintenance/monitoring.

Pricing is directly tied to licensing. Longer terms are a better value than shorter ones, but the customer needs to determine which options is best.

yes we evaluated all the competition.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am Meraki certified and my company is a Cisco-Meraki partner
      Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

Cloud networking is perfect, I can manage and monitor all the clients of my network whenever I want and wherever I am.

How has it helped my organization?

The Layer-7 capability let me control traffic and block unwanted services.

What needs improvement?

Although Layer-7 helps, it could still be improved.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with its stability.

We have had no issues scaling.

Meraki support is really good.

We also use Meraki MR and Aerohive…

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The Layer-7 capability let me control traffic and block unwanted services.

What needs improvement?

Although Layer-7 helps, it could still be improved.

We had no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with its stability.

We have had no issues scaling.

Meraki support is really good.

We also use Meraki MR and Aerohive devices.

Meraki setup is easy.

What other advice do I have?

Both Meraki and Aerohive are good products, and I prefer Meraki. I work with Meraki products in production. Meraki are more intuitive than Aerohive.

Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      We can use a single dashboard to manage our 5 offices in different parts of the world.

What is most valuable?

• Centralized management
      • Easily configurable

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented Meraki APs across our 5 offices in USA, UK, and India, and we can manage all of them from one dashboard. We have great metrics for bandwidth usage, easily finding out who is downloading movies. ;-)

Using Radius server for user authentication is very simple to configure, creating new SSID, and it has a great alerting system.

2 years

Deployment is very simple- just add the device to your dashboard, connect to the network, and it will automatically connect, update firmware, and update configuration to match with your others APs.

Nope

10, to get help you can open the case or just call them directly, give them your customer ID and boom, you are talking to the tech who can see all your devices.

Aruba, Ruckus - they are ok, but you need to spend more time to configure and their support is not even close to Meraki.

Can't be more simple

In-house

I think the Meraki APs are very cheap, I am using them even at home.

What other advice do I have?

Don't waste time and money for the other solutions, only Meraki!

Product Categories
      Wireless LAN
      Download our free Cisco Meraki Wireless LAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.