JM
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Useful filters, reliable, and customer support helpful

• "I have found the filter and the antivirus to be most valuable."
  • "The user interface needs some improvement, it is a little rudimentary and not very intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for traffic filtering, security, and antivirus capabilities.

What is most valuable?

I have found the filter and the antivirus to be most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The user interface needs some improvement, it is a little rudimentary and not very intuitive. If you are not very technical inclined you may need to be assisted or might struggle to set it up.

The newer version tends to use a lot of system resources. For example, your processor and RAM.

I have been using the solution for approximately four years.

The solution is stable and reliable, it does the job well.

The scalability is excellent, they can support a large environment. However, a large size organization will need its own dedicated appliance.

The customer support is very good.

We have used and still use Darktrace. We do not use it to replace Cisco's NGIPS solution but we use it predominantly as an in-network snooper.

The installation is complex.

We used an in-house team to do the deployment and it takes roughly a day and a half depending on the size of your organization and the configuration. Setting up the rules, all the features, and the licensing takes time.

To do the maintenance you need somebody familiar with Cisco and networking technologies.

By using this solution we have received a return on our investment.

Cisco products are not cheap and this solution is no different. However, the price of all of the Firepower is part of a bundle when you buy the actual firewall, the Cisco firewall. It is part of the whole bundle package, but Firepower IPS itself has its own costs.

We are on a yearly license and the price depends on the environment, we pay approximately $33,000. The solution has additional components, and each one of the components cost extra.

What other advice do I have?

For those wanting to implement this solution, I was advice before deploying the solution, understand exactly what you want it to do for you. The product has a couple of different capabilities, do you want to expand, or you may not want to expand. These are scenarios that you have to take into account. I would not recommend the solution for small organizations, it would be too time-consuming for that.

I rate Cisco NGIPS an eight out of ten.

Muhammad Aneel
Distribution officer at Wilshirelabs
Provides very good IPS and VirtualBox features

• "Good IPS and VirtualBox features."
  • "Should include additional security features."

What is our primary use case?

At present, we are using different policies against which we gather logs. Logs that have been deleted on a first in, first out basis. The logs are only available for three to four hours max. I work in the IT department of a pharmaceutical company and we are customers of Cisco.

What is most valuable?

We are looking for cybersecurity threats, like Pinterest and this solution has a good IPS feature as well as it's VirtualBox which helps us to time and for the QD, our daily routine tasks or issues. The solution provides a clear picture of what a user is doing at a specified time.

What needs improvement?

Because of cybersecurity threats, other security features should be available in Cisco devices. Sangfor IAM is good because this provides the logging IAM feature which you can retain for up to 12 months. But Cisco does not provide this type of logging because no third-party logging server is supported with the Cisco firewall.

I've been using this solution for three years.

The stability is fine. We manage to resolve general bugs by updating the software or VirtualBox as well as in the hardware. That is not a big deal for us.

The scalability is fine for us, we currently have 50 users.

Their technical support is good. We have SLA with Cisco, which will be renewed next year.

We have a somewhat complicated environment over here. We have also implemented SSG Juniper, SSG140, so basically their firewall is working as a router.

The price is a little high in comparison to other similar solutions. If we talk about Sophos Firewall with IBM software, it's cheaper in comparison to Cisco and their VirtualBox.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this latest model of Cisco firewall. In terms of the wide logging, it gives us as much as we need. We have implemented 30 to 35 policies in which loggings are gathered.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco NGIPS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FH
Cyber Security Engineer at a tech company
Easy to use and simple to set up but could offer more integration capabilities

• "We have found the product to be quite stable."
  • "The solution would be better if it offered customers more integrations and more signatures."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall. It's for company security.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

We have found the product to be quite stable.

The installation process is not difficult.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it offered customers more integrations and more signatures.

I've been using the solution for around four years. It's been a while. It's useful for anomaly detection, impact inspection, signatures, and stuff like that.

The stability of the product is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. the performance is good and we consider it reliable.

We have around 2,000 users in our organization using the solution.

We have contacted Cisco technical support in the past. Their support is the best in the market. We are very satisfied with the level of service they provide to their clients.

We are using both Cisco and Fortinet.

It's very straightforward and very easy to set yo the solution. It's not overly complex.

It took us one to two days at a maximum to install everything and to get everything going.

We have two technicians and three engineers that can handle any deployment or maintenance tasks.

We handled the setup ourselves. We did not require the assistance of any integrators or consultants. It was all done in-house.

We have a subscription for the signatures and footprints.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We always use two older versions than the latest in case the latest has bugs or issues.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

I would recommend this product to other users and companies.

AZ
Networking Security Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good support, stable, and has a lot of advanced security features

• "The integration with the Cisco portfolio is very helpful."
  • "Multi-internet line load balancing should be supported."

What is our primary use case?

I work for a system integrator and Cisco NGIPS is one of the products that we implement for our clients. This is a solution for enterprise networks and it has a lot of advanced features including security intelligence feeds and DNS security.

What is most valuable?

This product can be integrated with other solutions from the Cisco portfolio including Cisco ISE and SecureX. The integration with the Cisco portfolio is very helpful. Cisco ISE will give full control in any network and it can be used to isolate any infected or misbehaving users automatically.

What needs improvement?

Multi-internet line load balancing should be supported. It is available from other vendors and should be included with this product.

This is one of the most stable solutions in the firewall world.

Cisco takes scalability into consideration. My clients vary in size from small and medium-sized businesses to enterprises.

The best support that I have ever dealt with is from Cisco. I am very satisfied with their service.

I have experience with a lot of network security products. These include solutions by Cisco, Palo Alto, Fortinet, and Forcepoint.

The initial setup is very simple and in one or two hours, it can be up and running.

The licensing can be billed annually or in multi-year contracts such as three, four, or five years.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, integrator
Hozaifa Samad
Networking & Security Consultant at LayerZoom
Great all-in-one integration with valuable IPS function

• "IPS is a valuable function, because they update the signatures all the time and it's very granular."
  • "The GUI user interface could be improved and the login is not very user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We replaced an ASA with Firepower managed by FMC with NGIPS, and we're also using it for advanced security, like anti-malware protection and IPS.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to have different solutions integrated together between Cisco and non-Cisco, or Cisco and a third party. We now have an all-in-one which is kind of nice.

What is most valuable?

I believe the IPS is a valuable function, because they update the signatures all the time and it's very granular. This is a good, stable solution and it's always up to date with all the security features.

What needs improvement?

I think the GUI user interface could be improved and the login is not very user friendly. They could maybe improve on that.

The stability is good, we haven't had any problems.

I think scalability is good although we only have a couple of people in our company that use it - the IT Manager and myself.

The technical support is very good. I've never had issues with Cisco support, they're the best.

The initial setup is straightforward, it took a few hours. As the consultant, I deployed the solution.

I'm not sure of the licensing costs, I know we have a three-year subscription.

What other advice do I have?

Compared with other solutions, this is very good.

I rate this product a nine out of 10.

JO
Network Support Engineer at a government with 201-500 employees
Stable, scalable, and has good support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for traffic inspection and searching.

What needs improvement?

It's coming to its end of life. We will be considering another solution because it is no longer scalable. While it is stable, I would like it to be even more stable.

I have been using this solution for 10 years.

Cisco NGIPS is a stable solution. We have not had any issues since we have been using it.

It is no longer scalable because it has gone end of life. We have approximately six locations. We have close to 2,000 users.

We are satisfied with the technical…

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for traffic inspection and searching.

What needs improvement?

While it is stable, I would like it to be even more stable.

I have been using this solution for 10 years.

It is no longer scalable because it has gone end of life.

We have approximately six locations. We have close to 2,000 users.

We are satisfied with the technical support.

I was not involved in the installation.

We have a team of four of five, including four engineers, and one supervisor to maintain this solution.

It could be less expensive.

We do pay for licensing yearly, but since it is at its end of life, there are no license implications until we purchase a new solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Cisco NGIPS an eight out of ten.

Khalil AbdulrahmanAlasbahi
Customer Service & Support Manager at Natco Information technology
Is stable, scalable, and has good performance

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it for VBN and network as well.

What is most valuable?

I've found the performance and stability to be the most valuable features of Cisco NGIPS. It is scalable as well.

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved.

I've been providing this solution for about five years.

It is a stable solution.

It is scalable.

My experience with technical support has been okay.

Installation is straightforward and took half a day.

The…

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it for VBN and network as well.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price could be improved.

I've been providing this solution for about five years.

It is a stable solution.

It is scalable.

My experience with technical support has been okay.

Installation is straightforward and took half a day.

The pricing could be improved. Our customers have a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product, and I would recommend it. I would rate it at eight on a scale from one to ten.

MM
Manager - Automation, Electrical, IT and Networking at a mining and metals company with 1-10 employees
Easy to set up and configure, and it has remained stable

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for intrusion protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is security.

What needs improvement?

The onboarding process could be made a little bit better.

I have been working with Cisco NGIPS for one year.

We haven't had any problems with this product.

I configured the system myself and the process was okay.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I have nothing negative to say about this product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

If public cloud, private cloud, or hybrid cloud, which

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for intrusion protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is security.

What needs improvement?

The onboarding process could be made a little bit better.

I have been working with Cisco NGIPS for one year.

We haven't had any problems with this product.

I configured the system myself and the process was okay.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I have nothing negative to say about this product.

Private Cloud