Cisco Prime Overview

Cisco Prime is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Network Management Applications. It is most often compared to Cisco DNA Center: Cisco Prime vs Cisco DNA Center

What is Cisco Prime?

Cisco Prime products deliver next-generation management by supporting an intuitive workflow-oriented user experience and integrated lifecycle operations across Cisco architectures, technologies, and networks.

Cisco Prime is also known as Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

Cisco Prime Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Prime Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Cisco Prime Customers

Mohawk Industries, Universidad EAFIT, Halton Healthcare

Cisco Prime Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Prime pricing:
  • "Cisco Prime is an expensive solution."

FA
Networks Lead Engineer at a mining and metals company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good management capability and wireless heatmap, but NetFlow needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

This solution is being used for managing Cisco access points and managing network switches.

• "It gives you the ability to upgrade switches remotely, schedule the upgrade time, perform backups, and monitor the health of all networks."
  • "If you think about a centralized monitoring system, Cisco Prime is not good because it does not support third-party vendors like Palo Alto or FortiGate."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to look carefully at your infrastructure. Our plan is to take Cisco Prime out because we do not have a fully-Cisco infrastructure and it is not compatible with all of the devices. It is very good for Cisco products and if your entire infrastructure is Cisco, or you want to monitor a specific section that is entirely Cisco, then it will work well. However, if you have a mix of devices from different vendors and you want to centralize then this is not the right solution. Also, I would not recommend using two different solutions for the…
DR
Wireless IT Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Enables oversight so we can tweak and tune in order to successfully manage the company

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Prime to manage all of the wireless infrastructure in our stores and campus distribution centers. In our distribution centers we also monitor switches so we can do rogue AP detection. I'm the IT wireless manager and we are customers of Cisco Prime.

• "Enables oversight in order to tweak and tune."
  • "The solution can be slow at times."

What other advice do I have?

Anyone wanting to implement this now should deploy DNA Center and I would recommend against using VMs if possible. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Prime. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,817 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GE
Network-Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Lots of features and excellent stability but a bit too complex

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for wireless and to do backups on switches and routers. In addition, we're using it for the deployment of our new software versions.

• "The hardware Cisco provides is excellent. It's a well-made product."
  • "The solution is not easy to configure."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. We do not have a professional relationship with Cisco. We will not keep using this solution. I'm only keeping Prime Infrastructure at the moment for coexistence purposes as we have not yet created some functionalities elsewhere. I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten, mostly due to some issues we have surrounding its overall complexity that hinders us a bit.
LX
Network Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Provides us with real-time monitoring but could benefit from more visibility

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Prime to manage and monitor our banking app devices and other wireless devices. Within our company, there are seven employees that use this solution. We have plans to increase our usage of this product.

• "Cisco Prime is helpful as it provides us with real-time monitoring. This allows us to be proactive in our environment."
  • "The overall management capabilities of Prime need to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco Prime — it's a good product; however, I would suggest you go with Cisco DNA instead. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. If it provided us with true visibility, I would give it a higher rating.
VA
Infrastructure Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Great for network management, good interfaces and simple deployment

What is our primary use case?

Prime is geared towards medium and enterprise size companies and that's where we deploy it. I don't think it's a suitable solution for small companies. We've used the product for several projects, providing solutions to our customers and managing it for them. We've been dealing with Cisco for the past 10 years. One of our current projects is with one of the leading hospitals here. We are premier partners and we also resell Cisco products. I'm an IT specialist.

• "The interfaces are a valuable feature."
  • "Lacking in integration with a SIEM tool."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Cisco Prime. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Download our free Cisco Prime Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.