SZ
Team Lead Network Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable, good support, and the link load balancing feature helps maintain site availability

• "The most valuable features are zero-disk provisioning and link load balancing on an application basis."
  • "The process of onboarding the vSmart, vBond, and vManage should be improved to make it easier to manage in general."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Cisco SD-WAN is one of the products that we implement for our customers. I am a system integrator.

We use this product for zero-disk provisioning at branch offices. The controllers are at a central location and are used to manage the branches.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are zero-disk provisioning and link load balancing on an application basis. In the case of link load balancing, if an application is not working properly on the primary link, it may be fine on the secondary one. This means that if the first link goes down then it may still be accessible, which is a very good feature.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Cisco SD-WAN for one year.

Stability-wise, it is a good product and it works very well.

This is a scalable solution. There are between 1,000 and 1,500 users.

I have been in contact with technical support and my experience with them has been fine.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the scenario, but it usually takes between two and three days to set up.

As a system integrator, I deploy this solution myself.

We need a couple of engineers at headquarters to maintain it, and we don't usually need anybody at the remote sites. Normally, it's plug-and-play.

Licensing is on a subscription basis.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and we plan to continue using it in the future. It is one that I definitely recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

DK
Senior Global Product Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
A global scale solution providing an open architecture design with good technical support

• "We would recommend this solution to customers looking to implement it on a global scale. We recommend the solution, not only because of the functionality or the technical support, but also because of the delivery of the solution, and the docking and upgrading capabilities."
  • "Since Cisco acquired Viptela, the stability of this solution has given problems since it is quite new."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is providing the servicing of this solution globally. Cisco is an experienced vendor, which is the main reason we chose this solution.

What needs improvement?

An area of improvement for this solution is reducing the complexity. Currently, the solution requires people who have a very good understanding of Cisco SD-WAN.

For example, VeloCloud can be used and is easier to understand, but it has limited functionality. It is designed like a block box where the internal architecture is hidden. With Cisco, I can see the inner workings of the architecture. Therefore, it is necessary to have a good understanding of how the solution works in order make full use of it.

An additional feature that should be included in the next release of this solution is the ability to use a local area network (LAN) behind the domain name system (DNS) box. This feature would allow for better communication protocols to be put in place.

I have been using this solution for three years.

The scalability of this solution has given problems in the past since it is quite new.

The customer service/technical support for this solution is very good.

The setup of this solution is both straightforward and complex. For example, the initial setup is simple, but the design and formatting thereafter is very complex.

The pricing of this solution is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Learn what your peers think about Cisco SD-WAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DH
Head of IT Network Division at Panorinformatika
Feature rich, customizable, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

When I was working at BT Telecom, we used Cisco SD-WAN for IP telephony. In my current position in this company, we use this solution to classify network traffic and send the IP packets to the appropriate link.

What is most valuable?

I have found the solution's main features are its ability to be customized, network traffic classification, and has a wide range of features that can be set.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution scalable. We have approximately 10 clients.

I was…

What is our primary use case?

When I was working at BT Telecom, we used Cisco SD-WAN for IP telephony.

What is most valuable?

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

I have found the solution scalable. We have approximately 10 clients.

I was satisfied with the technical support.

The installation is not easy. If you have experience and it is not your first time doing the installation, it can be easier. Additionally, there are a lot of different parameters to set and you have to know exactly what the parameters do. From this perspective, it is not easy. There are a lot of possibilities to do fine-tuning with the SD-WAN settings.

If you were to set all the parameters all at once it would take a lot of time. It is best to fine-tune them over time. This is not a negative factor, having more options allows flexibility.

I would recommend a system integration company that has the knowledge of how to operate the system to do the implementation.

The price of the solution is the only negative factor, it is much more expensive compared with the Cisco Meraki SD-WAN solution.

I have evaluated Cisco Meraki SD-WAN.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco SD-WAN a ten out of ten.

AG
Cisco Systems at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
An SD-WAN solution with a useful device transfer feature

• "I like the feature that lets you transfer from old devices to new devices without changing the hardware and subscription."
  • "The price could be better. From a technical side, and everything's working smoothly. Cisco SD-WAN could be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage hospitals and clinics in my country.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our connection and bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

I like the feature that lets you transfer from old devices to new devices without changing the hardware and subscription.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. From a technical side, and everything's working smoothly. Cisco SD-WAN could be cheaper.

I have been using Cisco SD-WAN for about one year.

It's very good and stable compared to the others.

It's scalable. We have around 250 sites around Jordan.

Technical support is good. We don't have any issue with their performance.

The initial setup and deployment were straightforward.

I implemented this solution by myself.

It's expensive. If you compare Cisco with Fortinet and Juniper, you'll find that Cisco is more expensive than other vendors.

We don't have Sympatico or Versa in my country. We just have Cisco, Juniper, and Fortinet. But Fortinet doesn't have complete distribution, and the switching solution is very weak. We needed a solution that integrates with others, and we think that Cisco helped. Fortinet doesn't have all the switches, and they have some issues with statistics. This is why we chose Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to try Cisco and see if they offer more for their enterprise needs. I would recommend Cisco SD-WAN to new users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco SD-WAN a nine.

Private Cloud
MZ
Sr. Network Engineer Consulting Services at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Cloud base integrations and low operational overheads

What is our primary use case?

Here in Pakistan, there are few deployments of Cisco SD-WAN. We are trying to push Cisco to our clients. But the issue is that the prices of the competitors are too high. So it's very difficult to capture the market here in Pakistan. As you know, practice in Pakistan, the market is under development and Pakistan is a developing country and they are looking for a cheap solution at a price to achieve in terms of price comparison with other windows.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco SD-WAN improved the productivity of our organization, in terms of ROI and in terms of the resources they require.

What is most valuable?

Good for cloud bases integrations and operational overheads. There is minimum blind space in this solution.

What needs

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The main issue is that not in the technology, but it comes back comparison. When we do a comparison with other SD-WAN solutions, they are priced better. Then on that basis, they conclude to use the other solution.

Cisco SD-WAN is stable. It's scalable and reliable, and robust.

Cisco SD-WAN is scalable. It's scalable and reliable, and robust.

I believe the Cisco technical support as compared to other principles is some of the best support we've ever seen.

The initial setup is the most straightforward part. It takes some time. But then you want to add the other branches, it takes only three to four minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco SD-WAN at an eight out of ten.

Tharanga SKP
Engineer, Enterprise Products at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to centrally manage and the support is responsive

• "The most valuable feature is the ease of central management."
  • "The licensing model needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and we plan to provide a managed service to our customers using this product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of central management. That is the main thing for us.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model needs to be improved.

Sometimes we feel that the choice of models is very limited, so we would like to see additional devices made available.

We have been evaluating Cisco SD-WAN for the past two months.

We have not experienced any issues with stability over the past two months.

We have about 16 users. Because we are just evaluating, we don't have a forecast at this point.

We contacted support because we needed some initial awareness about configuration-related issues.

The initial setup is very difficult. We did not find it easy because we hardly have any experience. This is just the first one that we are setting up.

The costs are a bit on the high side.

We are currently conducting a PoC. We did evaluate two solutions, and Cisco was the one chosen for the proof of concept.

What other advice do I have?

Although we are still in the initial stages, I feel that this is a product that I can recommend. In general, we are satisfied with it.

SQ
Head IT Operations at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good support, provides for remote connectivity that is scalable and easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for remote connectivity.

What is most valuable?

In a software-defined network architecture, it heals itself and the management of the solution is very easy.

What needs improvement?

This solution is expensive so pricing is a concern.

I have been using Cisco SD-WAN for about one year.

We have had no issues with stability.

This solution can scale from SMB to the enterprise level. It is very impressive. Scalability in this context does not concern users, but connections between the head office and branch offices. We do not deal with endpoints or end-users. We do not…

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this solution for remote connectivity.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution is expensive so pricing is a concern.

I have been using Cisco SD-WAN for about one year.

We have had no issues with stability.

We do not have plans for expansion or increasing our usage at this point.

I have contacted technical support several times during the deployment phase and while troubleshooting. They are amazing. They are really helpful and the support is perfect.

We have only ever used Cisco solutions.

The initial setup is straightforward.

For a regular customer, the deployment will probably take between 15 and 20 days.

We deploy these types of products for our clients.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution. It's a new technology that people should look into because it provides for seamless management of the whole network, including switches. That said, there is always room for improvement.

YY
Junior Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Useful Zero-Touch provisioning, good performance, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

I have a partner in a manufacturing company that wants to reduce the use of the MPLS when using the internet. I proposed they use Meraki for the SD-WAN hub and since they only wanted to use a few WAN links I suggested the Cisco SD-WAN for their domain, main protection, and the internet for the backup of all the transitions that do not need critical time.

What is most valuable?

I have found the performance and the Zero-Touch provisioning helpful which makes it easier for us to develop.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure. Security is always a priority for us.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

I have found…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more secure. Security is always a priority for us.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

I have found this solution stable.

The solution is scalable.

One of my client's organizations has approximately 5,000 users using the solution.

The solution is easy to implement and maintain.

If we already agreed on the design and conditions with the customer the installation can take approximately two hours to implement the hub. For the SD-WAN it can take less than one hour and if we use the VPP it is even quicker.

There is no license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco SD-WAN an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Cisco SD-WAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.