Daniel-Marti­nez
Security Technician at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Very configurable technology that combines AMP, Threat Grid, and Sandboxing

• "The solution is very configurable. It has enabled us to configure some specific filters to stop emails that general configurations didn't stop. It's a powerful solution. It can analyze a lot of emails simultaneously, with no problems of capacity or system load."
  • "They can do it better with web links, with the URLs. They have a technology called Outbreak but it doesn't work as well as we would like."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as our email firewall. It's our first line of email defense.

How has it helped my organization?

Overall, the ease of migration to Cisco's cloud email security from the on-prem solution was a positive experience. We are very happy with the change. It makes security easy. The cloud solution is doing a great job. We are stopping more emails, and in a better way, than we did in the past. It's also not stopping as many good emails, but I think this is because Talos has gotten better, rather than something to do with the cloud technology. But the numbers over the past year are significantly better compared to the past.

What is most valuable?

We like

• AMP
  • Threat Grid
  • Sandboxing

The spam protection is also very good and the solution is very configurable. It has enabled us to configure some specific filters to stop emails that general configurations didn't stop.

It's a powerful solution. It can analyze a lot of emails simultaneously, with no problems in terms of capacity or system load. It seems that machines on the cloud are more powerful than the ones that we had, in the legacy solution, on-premises.

What needs improvement?

They can do it better with web links, with the URLs. They have a technology called Outbreak but it doesn't work as well as we would like. It does have a new feature called Cloud URL Analysis, but we can see enough information about detection, information that helps us to properly configure the technology.

We have been using the cloud solution for one year, but before that we were using it on-premises for three years.

It's very stable. We haven't had any issues with the stability. It hasn't gone down, and it has managed the flow of our email volume really well.

The technical support is excellent. They are proactive. They are monitoring things and helping us every step of the way. The technical support is at an excellent level.

The migration to the cloud email security was complex because we have a lot of customization. We needed to reevaluate some of the policies that we were applying via the email security. But technically we had more difficulty previously because we didn't have the premium support. We had to read a lot of documentation and experiment. Now, with the premier support, it's easier.

We re-created everything in the cloud solution. We re-evaluated everything when we migrated. There were some things we didn't migrate, while some new things were created.

It took us nearly one year for all the integrations and the migration to be complete, from the initial evaluation of the new product to the end of the migration to CSE, when it assumed all the email traffic for our organization. We didn't have any particular problems with downtime during the migration. That time includes analyzing, configuring, and improving things in production.

Our team that works directly with Secure Email consists of five people who are configuring the tool.

We used consulting from Cisco the whole time during our migration. With the premium support we now have one person who knows our configuration, our needs, and who can help us more than in the past when we didn't have that level of support.

ROI is difficult to determine. We think we have seen ROI, but we need to have an incident to evaluate whether the investment has really paid off. But no incidents means it's a good investment.

We haven't saved money by moving from on-prem to the cloud email security because we acquired the premium support. But we are happy with it, as they help us not only with issues that have happened, but also with configuration and with learning the technology. This is a very important factor, which we value.

Cisco Secure Email and the support are priced well. It's not cheap, but there are other solutions that offer less and cost so much. For example, Microsoft is more expensive than Cisco.

We know there are some solutions that have a higher level of protection for email, but we're very happy with the price of this one and with the way it is working.

We have Microsoft email security too, but not as the first line of defense. Microsoft's email security has its advantages but it is less secure, less configurable, and less powerful than Cisco's solution.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great solution for big enterprises that need a higher level of security than is offered by Microsoft solutions. Other solutions are targeted at smaller enterprises, that are without a security administrator and without people monitoring and supervising the technology. But for a big enterprise, Cisco Secure Email is a great option.

We have integrated the solution with SecureX and Threat Grid, and we already had Talos, of course. The Sandboxing is needed, it's a basic functionality for us. As for the rest of the integrations, they are less important. We integrate with some external feeds, but Talos is good enough for the technology not to need additional feeds.

When migrating from on-prem to the cloud email security, the interfaces are basically the same. The new interface was developed only for the cloud solution, but the classic interface, when it comes to the configuration of the machine, is basically the same for both the on-premises and cloud solutions.

Overall, it's a very configurable technology. We think it has all the weapons we need to fight against threats.

Syed A. Raheem
Group Head of Cyber Security at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Efficient and fast, the solution is almost transparent in its operation

• "Anti-Spam and Advanced Malware Protection are the most valuable features... and we also have the option to block Zero-day attacks."
  • "The configuration UI should be made more intuitive. Currently, it takes a while to understand how to do the basic configurations."

What is our primary use case?

Protection against external email threats is our primary use case.

How has it helped my organization?

Less spam means more productivity; less time is wasted, helping both users and the security team.

What is most valuable?

Anti-Spam and Advanced Malware Protection are the most valuable features. They provide protection from most email threats and we also have the option to block Zero-day attacks.

What needs improvement?

In terms additional features, I would like to see customization of reports and dashboards.

There should be separately module for Phishing and Fraudulent emails

More than 4 years

IronPort is indeed a very stable solution, including both software and hardware.

Scalability is very good. We have not faced any hiccups over the years with a 15 percent increase per year in the number of users. We currently have 3,000-plus users in our organization.  It is one of the main security controls we have and is used extensively. We don't have any plans at the moment to increase usage, but that might change.

We connect through a local/regional partner. Cisco is not good in dealing proactively or even reactively, so we end up relying on partners.

I cannot answer in detail about the initial setup because it was done before my tenure began. In general, it is a complex configuration.

Regarding an implementation strategy, it is best to define basic policies that deal with malware and spam-blocking which apply to the whole organization and then configure specific policies for individual and departmental needs.

Deployment shouldn't take more than a couple of hours for a team of two engineers.

We have seen ROI in the processing time. It processes efficiently and fast. It is almost transparent in its operation. We only need to worry about our email infrastructure. Security and performance-wise, it does not add any overhead or latency.

I am familiar with McAfee and Symantec to some extent. But we have not used those solutions in our production environment. I can't say much about specific differences between the solutions, but Cisco is more stable and we have not faced any issues with its detection capabilities that would make us look at other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to have a very good partner because Cisco will not be proactive in helping and educating you. They will do proactively health check on their device but they don't offer education/training free to the customers like other vendors do.

It has a complex UI and configuration menu but the product works well, both in terms of security and performance.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Secure Email. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enrique Diaz Jolly
Owner at Jolly Security Inc
Protects our customers with URL and Reputation Filtering

What is our primary use case?

I have experience as an SE for IronPort as well as a private consultant. I have used this solution in multiple environments.

How has it helped my organization?

I have been able to help customers improve their email security, both new customers purchasing Cisco Secure Email Gateway, as well as long-time users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are Advanced Malware Protection, URL filtering, and of course Reputation Filtering.

What needs improvement?

The reporting functionality needs to be improved.

I have been using Cisco Email Security for nearly 15 years.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The reporting functionality needs to be improved.

I have been using Cisco Email Security for nearly 15 years.

Product Categories
Email Security
Download our free Cisco Secure Email Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.