Cisco Secure Workload OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Secure Workload is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Microsegmentation Software tools. It is most often compared to VMware NSX: Cisco Secure Workload vs VMware NSX

What is Cisco Secure Workload?

Achieve the security required for today's heterogeneous multicloud environment with Cisco Secure Workload (formerly Tetration). Protect workloads across any cloud, application, and workload--anywhere. Automate and implement a secure zero-trust model for micro-segmentation based on application behavior and telemetry. Proactively detect and remediate indicators of compromise to minimize the impact to your business.

Cisco Secure Workload is also known as Cisco Tetration.

Download the Cloud and Data Center Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cisco Secure Workload Customers

ADP, University of North Carolina Charlotte (UNCC)

Cisco Secure Workload Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Secure Workload pricing:
  • "The price is based on how many computers you're going to install it on."

Cisco Secure Workload Reviews

Kunal Puri
Solutions Architect at Liberty Global
Simple to deploy and provides good application visibility along with micro-segmentation feature

• "The most valuable feature is micro-segmentation, which is the most important with respect to visibility."
  • "There is some overlap between Cisco Tetration and AppDynamics and I need to have a single pane of glass, rather than have to jump between different tools."

What is our primary use case?

We have many use cases for Cisco Tetration. Examples of this are micro-segmentation and the visibility of applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is micro-segmentation, which can be used to deploy endpoint security along with the visibility of application and connection matrix

This product is simple to deploy, and provides visibility of connectivity between the endpoints/application.

What needs improvement?

There is some overlap between Cisco Tetration and AppDynamics and there are few DC tools, It would be great  to have a single pane of glass, rather than have to jump between different tools.

I have used Cisco Tetration for few months in POC last year 2019

With respect to stability, we haven't seen any issues so far with it.

We have evaluated in my last organisations as part of POV with about 1,000 endpoints and we have incorporated Kubernetes as well. Scalability depends upon what hardware you're using or what model of Tetration you're using. If you're using it on-premises then the scalability numbers are different than a cloud-based deployment.

So far, we have not had any trouble with scalability. However, we have just completed our proof of concept, so we do not have many actual users yet.

We have not been in contact with technical support.

We have not used anything quite like Cisco Tetration in the past.

The initial setup is straightforward. It doesn't take long to deploy. You just need to install the agents on the machines and if you want to install it on-premises then you use the cloud servers to help with the setup. The entire process takes a week or two.

The price is based on how many installation of software sensors you're going to install it on.

We did not evaluate other options because there are not many products in the market that offer this functionality. In fact, I think that Cisco is specifically covering the market for micro-segmentation and visibility of applications.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Cisco Tetration depends on the strategy of any given organization. If your organization has a micro-segmentation strategy then this is a good solution. It works to improve visibility by creating connection metrics between applications and having the proper policy in place.

Overall, this is a really good product and I am happy with it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

BA
CTO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
A solution with a straightforward setup, offering 100% telemetry coverage and good machine learning

• "The solution offers 100% telemetry coverage. The telemetry you collect is not sampled, it's not intermittent. It's complete. You see everything in it, including full visibility of all activities on your endpoints and in your network."
  • "The multi-tenancy, redundancy, backup and restore functionalities, as well as the monitoring aspects of the solution, need improvement. The solution offers virtually no enterprise-grade possibility for monitoring."

What is most valuable?

The solution offers 100% telemetry coverage. The telemetry you collect is not sampled, it's not intermittent. It's complete. You see everything in it, including full visibility of all activities on your endpoints and in your network.

Other valuable features include vast support for annotations, flexible user applications, machine learning, automatic classification, and hierarchical policies.

What needs improvement?

The multi-tenancy, redundancy, backup and restore functionalities, as well as the monitoring aspects of the solution, need improvement. The solution offers virtually no enterprise-grade possibility for monitoring. Example include: The onboard features do not allow remote detection of simple hardware failures. There is no backup option for the data lake. The cluster cannot be deployed in a geo-redundant setup. There is no hardware upgrade path.

Our company has been using the solution for 2.5 years.

The stability of the solution is good. What it really lacks is the fact it's not enterprise-grade from an operational perspective.

The scalability is linked to redundancy. You cannot seriously cluster two Tetration units that are physically apart. That doesn't work. So scalability is quite limited. You are basically locked in with the physical setups that you start with.

The solution's technical support is average.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took us about three days to deploy the solution. To reach your first operational capability, from then onwards, it depends on the scenario. We usually spend weeks, if not months, in order to adapt the system to the customer's use case and this requires professional services, specific for the situation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model along with MSSP, a service provider.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: System integrator and service provider.