Cisco Secure Workload OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Secure Workload is #4 ranked solution in top Microsegmentation Software tools, #5 ranked solution in best Cloud Security companies, and #8 ranked solution in Cloud Workload Security Solutions. IT Central Station users give Cisco Secure Workload an average rating of 8 out of 10. Cisco Secure Workload is most commonly compared to VMware NSX:Cisco Secure Workload vs VMware NSX. Cisco Secure Workload is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 83% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 39% of all views.
What is Cisco Secure Workload?

Achieve the security required for today's heterogeneous multicloud environment with Cisco Secure Workload (formerly Tetration). Protect workloads across any cloud, application, and workload--anywhere. Automate and implement a secure zero-trust model for micro-segmentation based on application behavior and telemetry. Proactively detect and remediate indicators of compromise to minimize the impact to your business.

Cisco Secure Workload was previously known as Cisco Tetration.

Download the Cloud and Data Center Security Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Cisco Secure Workload Customers

ADP, University of North Carolina Charlotte (UNCC)

Cisco Secure Workload Video

Archived Cisco Secure Workload Reviews (more than two years old)

Brice ABRIOUX
Information Security Engineer at ENEDIS
A secure and stable solution for our on-premises network analytics

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is security."
  • "The interface is really helpful for technical people, but it is not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We have an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is security. We check processes on the different components of the virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of this solution needs to be improved. For us, we are not yet at the breaking point, but it is a question.

This is an agent-based system but it is not clear how to efficiently deploy an agent. If you discover new assets, you can ask the neighbor on the network for functional sites. You can't deploy the agent because they don't have the feature. Sometimes you deploy from a web server and you discover new assets, but it fails to deploy for some reason.

The cartography has to be improved. We can add a new one, but we would like to be able to see the performance advantage of our changes over time.

We have been conducting a POC for two months.

This is a really stable solution and we have not had any incidents. All of the features from Cisco are stable, although sometimes they are buggy.

We have had issues with scalability.

We have ten people using this solution, with approximately four thousand assets.

Technical support for this solution is really good. For this kind of solution, you have cutting-edge support. The only problem is that many of the specialists only speak English, which sometimes makes it difficult as we are a French company. Aside from the interaction with people, however, the support is really good. If you have a complex case then they work with you until you have a solution.

We have also used Check Point CloudGard and Carbon Black. We stopped using Carbon Black because it is only for another website service.

The initial setup of this solution is complex because you need to have a good understanding of your information system. You need to tag your different assets.

It took two people approximately one week to deploy. It is a full-time commitment to deploy this solution, and after that, you need to implement controls to tag the assets.

It is a prerequisite from Cisco that you have one of their product specialists for the deployment. You can't build the solution without assistance. I think that this is due to the cost of the solution, and hundreds of people have had a bad experience.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have a team with a good understanding of your information systems in order to have benefits with this kind of solution.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to define what you want to use, and what you need from the tool. You can't have rules that are too strict in the beginning because otherwise, you can't go to production. Over time, you will have a clear view of what is ongoing with your information system. This allows you to improve step-by-step. This is a long-term approach.

This is a good solution, but it should be more user-friendly and easier to deploy agents.

JM
Network Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good network visibility enables us to enforce security measures

• "The product offers great visibility into the network so we can enforce security measures."
  • "The emailed notifications are either hard to find or they are not available. Search capabilities can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for process discovery and for the data center.

How has it helped my organization?

One thing for sure about improvement to our organization and that is we do have several applications with no servers. It's hard to identify what port every application is using. So by using Tetration, it runs an agent and will let us know all the processes running within that server. We can quickly turn around and be able to secure the server by blocking the unused ports.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature right now is to do with having visibility on the network — especially on our servers — and to be able to enforce some type of security measures. This is mostly to combat processes that shouldn't be running on the servers.

The data analytics and all the data that it gathers are very useful. It creates a fast turn around to improve the speed of decision making so we can decide what we need to do to remain secure.

What needs improvement?

A feature that I was looking for was emailed alerts and notifications so we'd get them right away. I don't know if it is there or not yet but I haven't had enough time to explore and find it.

The search capabilities can be improved as well.

So far the stability has been reliable.

Scalability all depends on how many agents you buy. If Cisco makes it more affordable to buy agents, then it will be more scalable for us. The limitation right now is the cost and not the system.

So far tech support has been great. Every time we call, they're always available to help us troubleshoot or help us get around in the application.

It was very straightforward since we're doing cloud-based management.

If you have a somewhat limited budget you may find the scalability limited. The product does not seem to be.

What other advice do I have?

For me, the solution is a nine out of ten. I really like it. It's a great tool that will help give visibility to a data center and network, understand processes that are running within the data center and be able to enforce rules and regulations for all your processes.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, VMware, Guardicore and others in Cloud and Data Center Security. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pavan Raj
Data Center Manager at Cox Communications
Enables us to troubleshoot network incidents and has good scalability

• "The most valuable feature of the solution is that we don't have to do packet captures on the network."
  • "I'd like to see better documentation for advanced features. The documentation is fairly basic. I would also like to see better integration with other applications."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the Cisco Tetration solution is for troubleshooting network incidents.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Cisco Tetration needs more flags and system alerts that we should get with network capture. We haven't gotten into the security aspects of it.

From a troubleshooting perspective, there are a few areas they can improve. There should be more types of data.

It is very stable.

The scalability of Cisco Tetration is very good.

We did not have a lot of experience with Cisco support.

We didn't have anything like Cisco Tetration before. We were previously considering ACI. We decided not to use it.

The setup was complex because of how our network is structured. In the network administration setup, Cisco Tetration requires some planning.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Cisco Tetration an eight or nine. I'd like to see better documentation for advanced features. The documentation is fairly basic. I would also like to see better integration with other applications.

It's still a maturing product at the beginning of the lifecycle right now.

JA
Sr. Regional Director, US East at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Saves time, resists attacks, and allocates resources properly

• "A complete and powerful micro-segmentation solution."
  • "It has an uninviting interface."

What is our primary use case?

The product is primarily used for automating micro-segmentation.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco Tetration provides visibility into networks and additional security. This improves the entire organization by saving time, resisting attacks, and allocating resources properly.

What is most valuable?

While automated micro-segmentation is in itself valuable, application dependency mapping is time-saving and efficient.

What needs improvement?

While the product does its job and more than any organization currently needs, the entire interface could be improved. It's ugly and uninviting. The biggest competitor has a very nice, modern-looking GUI. Tetration tends to be a lot more cumbersome and it's not very intuitive. It is a good thing for consultants, but not for a typical end user.

The product is very stable. We have never had an issue after an implementation.

Cisco Tetration has scaling capabilities that surpass the realistic needs of any organization.

We augment Cisco customer service and support for the product, so we generally do not require support. However, Cisco support is excellent and we never have any issues. We will always get the support that we need, whether it be from the business unit that developed it directly, or from the Cisco TAC.

The complexity of the setup depends on the version being installed. The cloud version can be up and running in a couple of hours. The other version could take a couple of weeks. Customers who do not already know the product shouldn't really be deploying it on their own. Once it's up and running, a single person can manage and grow the entire environment in a fraction of the time it would take to do manually. Some organizations will allow as little as 2-3 hours a week and some will have to spend a lot more time on it. The resource allocation really just depends on what it is being used for.

We do all our own deployments so there is no need for a vendor team. However, it is not recommended that end-users install this without prior knowledge and consultancy.

There is an immediate ROI when deploying this product. While it is hard to count in dollars, an organization will experience functionality that they never had before. The product creates cost savings in the allocation of resources but that goes much further than that. As an example, it is possible to recreate a database server that had no documentation and no backup. If that database were to go down, it would cost a company millions. Tetration can gather enough information to be able to rebuild that same database server and have immediate tell over and avoid that type of disaster.

The cost depends on the size and the implementation. The larger the implementation the more cost effective it becomes. There are two different types of licenses. If you want to add enforcement there's an extra cost to turn it on. You can just go with the network visibility it provides without the enforcement. That's the basic difference between the two license types. The price is nominal between the two packages and it is possible to negotiate with Cisco to make the pricing almost equal between the two as Cisco will prefer organizations to have the enhanced utility.

The only other product we considered before deciding on Cisco Tetration is Illumio, which is a direct competitor. It is possible to string together multiple tools from the VMware side that can create similar functionality.

What other advice do I have?

This product does everything that you need it to do and more. I would definitely rate it a 10 out of 10. It does a lot to provide visibility in a network environment, save time and money, and makes the organization IT operate in much more of a streamlined fashion. We could have chosen other products, but this is the horse that we picked to go in the race.

FH
User at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Saves us an enormous amount of time and has enormous scalability

• "Instead of proving that all the access control lists are in place and all the EPGs are correct, we can just point the auditor to a dashboard and point out that there aren't any escaped conversations. It saves an enormous, enormous amount of time."
  • "They should scale down the hardware a bit. The initial hardware investment is two million dollars so it's a price point problem. The issue with the price comes from the fact that you have to have it with enormous storage and enormous computes."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for us and our clients is to give the auditors the tools and the view on the network that we're in sync and that we're audible in what we do.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the auditing. They prove that we don't have out of scope conversations between servers that are not allowed.

What needs improvement?

They should scale down the hardware a bit. The initial hardware investment is two million dollars so it's a price point problem. The issue with the price comes from the fact that you have to have it with enormous storage and enormous computes.

I would also like to see them develop more flexible export from other trades to third-party products or to form links to a third-party product. Make reports in the form that the auditor wants using a third-party product, for example.

It's rather stable. It's stable but huge.

Scalability is enormous and it can keep data longer than the other products I know in the space.

The people we deal with for technical support are very good. We haven't had to book official cases yet.

The initial set up took some time because we wanted to test some different client scenarios before we offered it as a service to clients. To get a good set up for the different scenarios and to make sure that we had a good procedure to wipe all the disks and that we had the necessary proof that the disk was securely wiped before going to integration with the next clients. It took some time to see how could we do that.

We implemented directly through Cisco. We had a good experience with them.

We have a 50% gain on auditing time.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

I would advise you to give it a try. Call Cisco and get a demo, try it in a lab, and go for it.

Darko Petrovic
Solution Architect at Comtrade Group
It is a stable product with good scalability

• "Scalability is its most valuable feature."
  • "It is not so easy to use and configure. It needs a bunch of further resources to work, which is mainly the biggest downside of it. The deployment is huge."

What is our primary use case?

For the gas and oil company, who is our customer, they are mainly using it for their networking sites.

What is most valuable?

Scalability is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

It is not so easy to use and configure. It needs a bunch of further resources to work, which is mainly the biggest downside of it. The deployment is huge.

It is very stable. We haven't had any problems with it.

We started off with one node. Then, it grew over six months to a year, so we bought two more nodes for a total of three nodes. It is huge right now, especially since the tracer comes with a half a rack.

We have had two pretty straightforward cases with the technical support.

We were not using a previous solution.

The initial setup was complex, because it had a bunch of little details that needed to be tied together.

The price is outrageous. If you have money to throw at the product, then do it.

We possible looked at a vRealize solution, but our customer did not want to consider VMware because it was not Cisco. The customer was a Cisco shop and did not even inquire regarding the price of the Tetration solution.

What other advice do I have?

The product should be easy to use, but it is not. Comparing it to other products, it was very complex.

There are cheaper products out there which are simpler to use than Tetration.

RahulRao
Senior Manager Cloud Ops and Engineering at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The telemetry Provides Necessary Visibility

• "By using Tetration insight, we are able to get the latency on our level accounts and we can determine whatever the issue is with the application latency itself."
  • "It is highly scalable, but there is a limitation that it is only available on Cisco devices."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to analyze traffic. We have a route cluster of 2,500 nodes right now just in case the application is facing any delay or latency we wanted to have the visibility. It allows for insight into our data center.

How has it helped my organization?

With the analysis we have, we are only looking at the features of application sales and our books during the month. What we really needed was to know how the traffic flow is and what the latency is. We have a server team which comes back to us and they complain about the latency that our app is facing and we are not able to determine what the issue is. They want to back the network itself and we end up substituting nothing. With Tetration insight, we are able to get that latency on our level accounts and we are able to determine whatever the issue is with the application latency itself.

What is most valuable?

The telemetry gives me the visibility on the particular path. It helps to analyze the whole fabric itself. I also get to know what condition we have and on which interfaces. We look at heavy traffic so we can share the particular load across to other interfaces as well.

What needs improvement?

The problem is that we can only deploy the particular solution where we have the hardware with Cisco. This is only FX series switches, which have the hardware sensor built, and we have to deploy the software sensor.

Less than one year.

It is stable.

This solution is scalable but there is a limitation that it is only available on Cisco devices. It is highly scalable for us. We have around 4,000 auto machines and a load of around 35,000 users.

Tech support is good. We have not had any issues. Only once did we really have an issue.

We initially only had the network monitoring and insight software. The network monitoring solution, SolarWinds, was the first. We also went back with Riverbeds as a unit model draft of the quality but that did not make sense to us. We tried integrating the application monitoring along with the network itself using a net flow but we were still not able to get the regular insights and the regular results that we're getting right now with the Tetration solution.

The implementation is pretty straightforward.

The pricing is a bit higher than we anticipated.

Download our free Cloud and Data Center Security Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, VMware, Guardicore, and more!