Cisco Sourcefire SNORT OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Sourcefire SNORT is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Intrusion Detection and Prevention Software. It is most often compared to Cisco Stealthwatch: Cisco Sourcefire SNORT vs Cisco Stealthwatch

What is Cisco Sourcefire SNORT?

Snort is an open-source, rule-based, intrusion detection and prevention system. It combines the benefits of signature-, protocol-, and anomaly-based inspection methods to deliver flexible protection from malware attacks. Snort gained notoriety for being able to accurately detect threats at high speeds.

Cisco Sourcefire SNORT is also known as Sourcefire SNORT.

Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Customers

CareCore, City of Biel, Dimension Data, LightEdge, Lone Star College System, National Rugby League, Port Aventura, Smart City Networks, Telecom Italia, The Department of Education in Western Australia

Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Sourcefire SNORT pricing:
  • "I don't know the exact amount, but most of the time when I go to a company with a proposition, they will say, "This thing that you are selling is good, but it's expensive. Why don't you propose something like FortiGate, Check Point, or Palo Alto?" Cisco device are expensive compared to other devices."

Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Reviews

Lead Program Manager at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Intelligent with good threat detection capabilities but could be easier to implement

• "It is quite an intelligent product."
  • "The implementation could be a bit easier."

What is our primary use case?

The product is primarily used for an IDS, Intrusion Detection Software, element.

What is most valuable?

You can do a lot of feasibility in terms of SSLI configuration which can be enabled.

You can encrypt and encrypt your data through Cisco Sourcefire so that your IPS solution can be effectively utilized.

Users have access to intelligent security automation as one of the features. It can easily automate your event impact assessment and your IPS policy tuning can be done as well as your network behavior analysis. They have introduced this intelligent security automation as part of that and then you can do a real-time contextual awareness. Basically, you can see a correlation of events that are created on your application, user devices, operating systems, or vulnerabilities. All of this real-time data can be captured including on your apps and port scans.

It is quite an intelligent product.

It can look into your north-south traffic in case of IPv6 attacks, DOS attacks, or buffer overflow. They say that it also supports against zero-day threats and items like that. They are up-to-date in terms of their threat protection, anti-bot, antivirus, and all kinds of signatures.

They have something called Firepower, which is advanced threat protection that they offer. It's a new subscription which we use for additional malware protection. It offers blocking capabilities and continuous analysis.

The solution is very stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution is still very new to us. Maybe if I extensively start using it on our environment I will be able to, based on the events and other things, come back with insights on features. But currently, it is quite new to us, so we are still using it and learning it.

The implementation could be a bit easier.

As long as they continue to develop security features to protect our company, they will be doing quite well.

I've been using the solution for six months at this point. It's been less than a year and hasn't been that long.

It is quite a stable product. We have not seen many issues with this product. We haven't seen crashes or glitches or bugs. Since we have just started to use this product, we need time to understand the stability for a longer period. It's only been around six months, and we are just implementing it now across a few locations.

The solution is pretty scalable. The throughput, however, depends on what kind of appliance you are buying. For example, you can have 50 Mbps to 40 Gbps of throughput. Currently, we are using 100 Mbps and, at a couple of smaller locations, we are using 50 Mbps of a throughput receiver.

We're implementing it across locations currently. We're implementing it on an enterprise level. We have close to around 15 major locations, wherein we are using it to align devices that are hosted in our data center or in our critical locations.

As we are still in the early stages, we do plan to continue to use the solution in the future.

Technical support is quite fast. Cisco is quite a big company and their support contract is there with us. We use a lot of Cisco products and therefore we have platinum support for everything. Due to our level, we get immediate support from Cisco on all of our Cisco products. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided.

We were previously using IBM IPS. We switched due to the fact IBM wasn't really working for us. It couldn't help us solve most of our issues and the devices which we bought were also quite old. It didn't have the option of SSL encryption and other things in it. Due to all of these limitations, we decided to move away from IBM.

The initial implementation is pretty straightforward. It's just an appliance. We are using an appliance and it is predominantly for SSL encryption. We have a lot of applications on the cloud and on the web application.

Your IPS, DLP, everything can be done on a single appliance itself. Predominantly, we are using it for SSL encryption to a larger extent.

It doesn't take much time for installation. It depends on what you want to and what traffic you want to allow on Sourcefire.

For example, if I have a proxy path, where my users are accessing through a proxy path, that traffic needs to be encrypted. In cases where I have a direct path, and if I have a CMD path, it depends on where exactly you want to enable your SSL encryption or which data needs to be analyzed and used. If you have too many paths from which the users are accessing the data, then it is important that you use all the paths. If you are using it on a single path and if there are no other kinds of encryption used there, then obviously it doesn't make sense. If your traffic is going from north-south traffic, then you can use its product to ensure that your encryption and other tasks are happening.

We only need maybe one or two people for maintenance. Our data center specialist can handle the device. After implementation, it is just a configuration of our traffic. One or two people are more than enough.

Cisco is currently helping us with the implementation process.

We bought the appliance, which comes with a license as well.

While I don't know the exact pricing, most of these products are through subscription. In our case, we bought the complete appliance with the software with it. It does not run with any Cisco item, as we have bought the entire appliance. The three-year warranty of the appliance is there. It does not contain any licenses except for the software license and the hardware licenses which are a part of it. It's a three-year contract which we have bought.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is the latest version. We're still in the process of implementing it, and therefore are using the most recent release.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

Currently, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I'm not completely migrated over. I need more time with the solution to really gauge its effectiveness.

GoumouFerdinand
Security Engineer at Socitech SA
Good functionality and has the possibility to have one manager for other firewalls but stability needs to improve

• "In general, the features are all great. However, if I need to take hardware for ASA, because they need to upgrade to Firepower, we want to create rules. For that, most of the time we go to the command line. Right now Firepower is working really hard on the grid. You can apply all those rules to the grid. Even if you want to monitor the logs, for example, the activity will tell you which particular user has been blocked because of that rule. Firepower's monitoring interface is very good, because you can see each and every piece. ASA also had it, but there you needed to type the command and be under the server to see all that stuff. In Firepower you have the possibility to go directly to the firewall. The way the monitoring is displayed is also very nice. The feature I appreciate most in Firepower is actually the grid. The grid has worked very well."
  • "To be frank, the product is not really stable, although they're working on that. Whenever I go to the technical community with an issue, they will usually say that it is not there yet, but the technical team are working on it. The issues are not insolvable. I think they should just keep working on the product to make sure that the product can become very stable. The technical support is great. I appreciate that. We have a lot of communities supporting Firepower now, so you can find help for whatever issue you have."

What is our primary use case?

I work directly with clients, such as financial companies like banks, for example. Most of the time they want they're product to be on their premises, only in their local area.

What is most valuable?

In general, the features are all great. However, if I need to take hardware for ASA because they need to upgrade to Firepower, we want to create rules. For that, most of the time we go to the command line. Right now Firepower is working really hard on the grid. You can apply all those rules to the grid. Even if you want to monitor the logs, for example, the activity will tell you which particular user has been blocked because of that rule. Firepower's monitoring interface is very good because you can see each and every piece. ASA also had it, but there you needed to type the command and be under the server to see all that stuff. In Firepower, you have the possibility to go directly to the firewall. The way the monitoring is displayed is also very nice. The feature I appreciate most in Firepower is actually the grid. The grid has worked very well.

The functionality they have deployed is also very good. They provide the possibility to have one manager for other firewalls, which is Firepower Management Center. I can manage many other firewalls from Firepower Management Center, by just logging on to the other device. That feature is also very great.

The idea that they implement the malware protection inside the firewall is another great feature. This has the same features and functionality as they had for the IPS device. The way they deploy the AMP is also great because from there we can even go to the packet level, both to the header of the packet, as well as inside the packet, to see if there is any virus there. Right now, the firewall has the possibility to pick up inspection, not only on the header of the packet but off the packet itself. That feature is very great.

There are a lot of features that I really appreciate with Firepower, which is why I advise most of my customers to go with Firepower.

What needs improvement?

To be frank, the product is not really stable, although they're working on that. Whenever I go to the technical community with an issue, they will usually say that it is not there yet, but the technical team is working on it. The issues are not insolvable. I think they should just keep working on the product to make sure that the product can become very stable. The technical support is great. I appreciate that. We have a lot of communities supporting Firepower now, so you can find help for whatever issue you have.

Another issue where there's room for improvement is that sometimes I feel like the device is heavy. For example, we can use either the physical or virtual device. Most of the time if you are using the virtual device, you need to have very good RAM. If, for example, we don't have a good RAM in the environment, the device will be kind of heavy. It will not run as quick as you want. Most of the time we need a  minimum of 4GB of RAM. Maybe they should add the possibility that we could use 2GB of RAM so that the device can be more lightweight.

Those are all small things, but if they can improve them it would be great. Of course, everything is dependent on the process running behind it. I don't know if they have the possibility to make these changes, but if they can, it would be great.

I've been using this solution for almost two years.

When I have an issue I usually go to the community. Most of the time I'll find the solution there. Right now, I don't have any open cases with Cisco, so I don't know if they're able to respond on time. For their other products like Fusion, I have an open case with their technical support team that I'm waiting for them to respond to. For Firepower, however, I don't have any issue that would lead me up to open up a case.

For my experience, technical support is okay. I never had the kind of issue that technical support could not resolve because I would just go to the community. The technical community is very good for me so far.

For me, it was straightforward, maybe because I'm used to it.

The first step is to install Linux because the product is based on Linux OS. Then, I just install the Firewall Management Center. After installing that, I install the full Firepower Firewall. From there, I would make sure that the Firewall Management Center and Firepower can ping each other, that they have connectivity. If that works, then I would add all the IPs of Firepower to the Firepower Management Center. Once that is finished, the whole installation is done, and I can try to call the Firepower Firewall directly to the grid from within Firepower Management Center.

I think the installation is okay. It is easy for me.

Deployment time varies from customer to customer. It depends on what things they want to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution and give it a rating of seven out of ten. That is mainly because of the expense. I don't know the exact amount, but most of the time when I go to a company with a proposition, they will say, "This thing that you are selling is good, but it's expensive. Why don't you propose something like FortiGate, Check Point, or Palo Alto?" Cisco devices are expensive compared to other devices. If not for that, I would rate it as nine out of ten. Because of the expense, I prefer to give it seven. Most of the time when I lose an offer from this product, it's only because of the expense. It is not because of the technical work that the product can do, just the cost of the device. That is the only reason the customer would not go for it directly.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Sourcefire SNORT. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AE
Information Security Operations Expert at Asiacell
Known bugs consume memory and CPU resources to the point where we are seeking a new solution

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to automatically learn the traffic in our environment, and change the merit recommendations based on that."
  • "We are unhappy with technical support for this solution, and it is not as professional as what we typically expect from Cisco."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is intrusion prevention, for both user-to-server traffic, and server-to-server traffic.

Most of our environment is Cisco including ISE, our access control, routers, switches, call center, and TelePresence.

How has it helped my organization?

The current solution that we are using is actually a bottleneck for us. It is negatively impacting our performance because it cannot handle our traffic. The SSL offloading did not work and gives us an error regarding resources in terms of memory and CPU.

Other than the performance issue, this product is very good because it prevents many attacks and intrusions. We have seen this from the monitoring logs. Unfortunately, with the issue related to the system slowing down, it cannot be utilized 100%. I would like to be able to use the SSL offloading and the anti-malware features.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to automatically learn the traffic in our environment, and change the merit recommendations based on that. It can tune its IPS rules automatically based on what it has learned. This feature is not available in other IPS solutions, so it is very beneficial for us. Manually tuning the IPS rules is difficult because we have thousands of them.

What needs improvement?

Sourcefire SNORT is very resource heavy in terms of CPU usage and memory consumption. Technical support has told us that this is related to bugs that have yet to be fixed.

We have been using Cisco Sourcefire SNORT for three years.

What we are using now is not very stable and it results in performance issues that are related to memory and CPU consumption.

Scalability-wise, I can see that Cisco is one of the leaders in IPS solutions. However, I cannot comment on it personally because I have not used products by other vendors for this use case.

We have many thousands of machines that are being monitoring by my team, cybersecurity. All of the production traffic goes through Sourcefire. Because of the performance issues, we are unable to use all of the features. For example, we cannot use the SSL policy or the AMP policy.

We did use another product prior to Cisco Sourcefire SNORT but it was before I joined the company and I am unable to comment on it.

The initial setup is straightforward and the configuration is easy.

We implemented this solution in stages because it could not be done all at once.  It took us perhaps just over a month to finish moving all of our servers from IDS to IPS, from detection to prevention.

Our own team was responsible for the implementation. I handled all of it myself.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of Cisco equipment is very good, but in judging the model of this solution that we have, I feel that it is the worst. It has very big issues for us in terms of performance, reliability, and stability. It is slowing our network traffic down considerably.

I would rate this solution a one out of ten.

Team Lead at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Offers good protection and a huge rate of threat protection

• "It has a huge rate of protection. It's has a low level of positives and a huge rate of threat protection. It's easy to deploy and easy to implement. It has an incredible price rate compared to similar solutions."
  • "Performance needs improvement."

What is most valuable?

It has a huge rate of protection. It has a low level of positives and a huge rate of threat protection. It's easy to deploy and easy to implement. It has an incredible price rate compared to similar solutions. It has a good support channel, technical assistance. It's good.

It's really good to sell as far as a Cisco firewall. It's really good to sell in the complex Cisco project because Cisco's really good for networking and routing. When we are networking, it's easier to sell a security-based firewall. It's a complex product. It's really good. There is syndication between different security products, and in Cisco's case, it's with integration.

What needs improvement?

Performance needs improvement. If you compare Cisco Sourcefire with other products, it performs at the same level of compliance. For Cisco Sourcefire, it's not really horrible and it's not really the market and price-performance rate. The performance can be improved.

We have been using Sourcefire since 2011.

It's scalable. Sourcefire has a classic deployment model and you can scale up through the appliance if you need the same deployment so it's quite simple. It's quite scalable. We mostly work with mid-sized companies.

Sourcefire Snort is the kind of software that is constantly running like 24/7,

In general, Cisco provides really good and reliable support. Overall it's good but sometimes, around 1% of the time, it doesn't work so well.

We also use IBM and Palo Alto and from the technical perspective, it's probably equal. It's equal by the features, by the functionality, by the performance. But again, for the pricing, it's really bumpy.  For Palo Alto for example, the pricing is almost equal. But for the performance and the features, they are on the next level.

It is easy to setup. For a basic deployment, it can take up to three or four days to deploy in a minimal setup. If it's a huge project with a huge data center, a lot of configuration, a lot of work, and a lot of integration, it will take two or three weeks up to one month.

You only need one person for a basic deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to have good sizing because it matters for the performance of the features. Also make sure to have a good design. Before starting with the deployment and installation for Sourcefire. Have a technical session with the local Cisco office or the local department to provide a good design.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

We have some architecture concerns. I'm not really sure that Cisco can quickly solve this concern. Palo Alto has a user-friendly interface for the management.

SC
Team Lead with 501-1,000 employees
Straightforward setup, easy to use, and very stable

• "The solution is rather easy to use."
  • "While the alerts they offer are good, it could improve it in the sense that they should be more detailed to make the alerts more useful to us in general. Sometimes the solution will offer up false positives. Due to the fact that the alerts aren't detailed, we have to go dig around to see why is it being blocked. The solution would be infinitely better if there was just a bit more detail in the alert information and logging we receive."

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization in terms of management. We don't need to have too many resources when it comes to managing it, unlike previously, when we had the IPS. It was a nightmare trying to download the signatures, and uploading them, was also a nightmare. This solution makes life a lot easier. There's fewer man-hours required.

What is most valuable?

The solution is rather easy to use.

The signatures are uploaded and there's a set of recommended ones that we are using, which makes a lot easier than having to configure individual signatures together.

What needs improvement?

While the alerts they offer are good, it could improve it in the sense that they should be more detailed to make the alerts more useful to us in general. Sometimes the solution will offer up false positives. Due to the fact that the alerts aren't detailed, we have to go dig around to see why is it being blocked. The solution would be infinitely better if there was just a bit more detail in the alert information and logging we receive.

I've been working with the solution for a long time. It's been about five to six years at this point.

There are no bugs or glitches. The solution doesn't freeze. It doesn't crash. It's reliable. It's very stable.

In terms of scalability, I've not really had to look into it due to the fact that the devices we have are accurate for our purposes. I can't really say a lot about scalability because I've not had to. I'm sure they have got configurations where you can maybe put two or three together to scale it up if you need to.

We've only reached out to technical support once when we had to do an upgrade. The team at Cisco was very helpful. They were responsive and knowledgable. We were quite happy with the level of service we were provided.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very straightforward. We were able to handle it easily.

Deployment, in total, took about a week.

What other advice do I have?

We're just an end-user of the service. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

The hardware we're using is still old. We bought it when the product was not under Cisco. That said, obviously, Cisco has now updated the product with new hardware. However, we've still got the old hardware.

I would advise other organizations to go ahead and try the solution out. It's a good product. It's very straightforward and easy to implement especially when you compare it to other systems.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall. If they offered better and more detailed alerts, I would rank them higher.

GebremichaelTeklemariam
Networking and Security Engineer at IE Network Solutions PLC (Ethiopia)
Has good malware detection and URL filtering features and technical support is good

• "I like most of Cisco's features, like malware detection and URL filtering."
  • "I don't think this solution is a time-based control system, because one cannot filter traffic based on time."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is as a firewall, as an access control. We don't use it as access detection or as an intrusion prevention system, because we didn't configure it as a detector.

What is most valuable?

I like most of Cisco's features, like malware detection and URL filtering.

What needs improvement?

I have you been using this solution for about two years now.

Sometimes it has an object priority, like priority for users. Sometimes the cloud agent and the host device for the center, fails to update or to cache the objects from the cloud.

The solution is scalable and I think it can be integrated with some Cisco devices and other third party devices.

If you compare it to other vendors, the technical support from Cisco is excellent.

The initial setup is quite complex and some set parameters are definitely needed. However, the more you try it, the easier it gets. When we push a specific policy, it takes from two minutes up to five minutes to deploy. So it depends on the deployment configuration. For the general deployment, it depends on the expert.

What other advice do I have?

The main problem we have when we implement security policies for our customers is scheduling. For example, customers want to take up with a time-based security policy, so that we have a different setup for working hours and non-working hours, and for weekends. But that feature is not supported by Cisco Sourcefire. So, I think it would be very good if Cisco can implement this scheduling feature.

What's more, some of the configurations are a little bit complex, like the mapping.  It's very difficult to rotate their VPN when you set up the access points. You must bypass those access points by using the VPN portal bypass. I think it will be very good if they can set up a tool that one can use to stop this VPN portal. It is very hazardous for security because the users of that VPN portal are visible and it's very risky for them, because they are bypassing the access points of the company.

On a scale from one to 10, I will rate this solution an eight.

SS
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reliably filter URLs and malware, easy to manage and has good support

• "The URL filtering is very good and you can create a group for customized URLs."
  • "There are problems setting up VPNs for some regions."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses for this solution are URL filtering and malware filtering.

How has it helped my organization?

Sourcefire SNORT has been good for us.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is reliability. This solution is better than Check Point.

The URL filtering is very good and you can create a group for customized URLs.

Cisco SNORT is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

There are problems setting up VPNs for some regions. There are cases where they are permitted in Sourcefire but blocked in Check Point.

There are some outside ports that are allowed by default but should not be.

It would be helpful if a list of third-party services were listed so that the rules could be easily added. An example of this would be a ticket booking site. It would be in a list of services and selecting it would allow transactions with that site.

I have been working with Sourcefire SNORT for six months.

There are some bugs in this solution and troubleshooting them is complicated.

The scalability of this solution is good.

The technical support is good and is better than Check Point.

We are also using Check Point but it does not work as well as Sourcefire SNORT, which is why we are switching. For example, customized URLs do not work in Check Point. Check Point is also more complex.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution and one that I would recommend to others.

AA
NOC Supervisor / Network Architect / System Analyst at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Protects your network against various threats

• "Cisco Sourcefire SNORT is easy to configure and the reporting is great. It's also very user-friendly."
  • "I did not experience any pain points that required improvement. Maybe a couple of false-positives, but that's about it."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Sourcefire SNORT for intrusion prevention cases.

Within our organization, there are roughly 1,000 people using this solution.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Sourcefire SNORT is easy to configure and the reporting is great. It's also very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for roughly four years.

Cisco Sourcefire SNORT is both scalable and stable.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup was very straightforward. Deployment took roughly two months.

We used a reseller to help us with deployment.

Yes, we did evaluate other solutions before choosing Cisco Sourcefire SNORT.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to other users. Should you choose to use Cisco Sourcefire SNORT, I'd recommend that you get the help of a professional service for deployment.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Sourcefire SNORT a rating of eight.

Download our free Cisco Sourcefire SNORT Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.