Cisco UCS B-Series Overview

Cisco UCS B-Series is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Blade Servers. It is most often compared to HPE Synergy: Cisco UCS B-Series vs HPE Synergy

What is Cisco UCS B-Series?
Based on Intel Xeon processor E7 and E5 product families, Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers work with virtualized and non-virtualized applications to increase: Performance, Energy efficiency, Flexibility and Administrator productivity.

Cisco UCS B-Series is also known as UCS B-Series, Unified Computing System B-Series.

Cisco UCS B-Series Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco UCS B-Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Cisco UCS B-Series Customers
Aegean Motorway, Anilana Hotels and Resorts, Anonymous Banking Group, Artoni Transporti, Bellevue, BH Telecom, Bowling Green State University, Children's Hospital Colorado, City of Biel, Dimension Data, Dualtec Cloud Builders, Hertz, Houston Methodist, Kuwait Petroleum Italia, Lufthansa Systems GmbH & Co.KG, Outscale, Sony Corporation, Talbots
Cisco UCS B-Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco UCS B-Series pricing:
  • "The pricing for Cisco is less than for the HP Proliant series."
  • "Pricing will be based on your requirements so it is important to plan, engage, and negotiate directly with the Cisco Account Manager."
  • "The price of this solution is a little bit higher, but given that this system is Cisco, it feels more secure and dependable."
  • "The price of this solution compared to others is fair."

RO
Senior Principal Systems Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Does what it is supposed to in the way the company represents with little room for improvement

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, we use UCS to run our virtualization stack.

• "The ratio in terms of the number of units and the number of servers that we can get each chassis is quite good."
  • "Cisco could improve the user-friendliness for less experienced users."

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I might want to give to someone considering the product is that I would say they really have to know their own use case to determine whether UCS is applicable as a solution for what they need. The B-Series is really meant for data center deployment. I would not propose or suggest it for small or medium enterprises simply because the initial investment is quite high. You need to get a server interconnection if you get a chance. And if you are not looking to potentially deploy a large number of servers in the near future, then B-series is really not necessary — it is overkill. On a…
Infrastructure Integration Analyst at a government with 10,001+ employees
Supports abstract and stateless computing, helpful and proactive support, reliable, and expandable

What is our primary use case?

The UCS Manager, UCS Blades including chassis, and Main Data Centre Virtualization Physical Infrastructure on VMware between sites act as our critical and secure data center environment. This solution is reliable, expandable, agile, manageable, and scales easily, allowing us to focus on using UCS Manager. We are now expanding the Cisco Hyperconverged solution embedded with the UCS manager. This is the plus to expand the reliability, expandability, redundancy, and availability of our data center infrastructure environment.

• "The feature that I found the most value is the abstract and stateless capacities."
  • "USC Central seems a bit confusing for technicians."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is an excellent product.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco UCS B-Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SB
Sr. Network Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Processing of our system has greatly improved due to the CPU, functionality and security features

What is our primary use case?

We host mostly our production environment in the Blades because we have the production data running in those UCS Blades. I'm a senior network engineer and we are customers of Cisco.

• "Great security and functionality."
  • "Integration with storage could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I haven't had experience with others series, like the C-Series. I hope they are good but so far, after three, four years, this has been good and we haven't had any issues. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
IT Infrastructure Manager at a tech company with 11-50 employees
A user-friendly server that's easy to configure and manage

What is our primary use case?

We use it in our data center. In our infrastructure, we virtualize our servers.

• "I like that it's very manageable very easy to use and configure. I am not an expert, but the graphic user interface is quite simple very easy to use. It's a complete solution."
  • "We have to have Java to manage the infrastructure. It would be great if we can manage the infrastructure through a web browser."

What other advice do I have?

Before you buy infrastructure like this, I would recommend some training. It'll help to get really good training in infrastructure management. For example, in my case, a quick overview when I started to manage the infrastructure definitely helped. It's very hard because at the beginning you are a little lost. The infrastructure is easy to manage, but it would be better if you take time before you install the infrastructure to learn more. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco UCS B-Series a nine.
System Administrator at ON Semiconductor Phils. Inc.
ExpertTop 5
A highly available and flexible solution with a single point of administration

What is our primary use case?

Our whole VMware Farm is running on Flexpod, which uses the UCS B-Series for compute resources. Using the Blade along with Fibre Interconnect, it provides high availability and ease of migration to other hardware in case of failure. The cabling and power footprint is at the lowest so far.

• "The Dashboard is quite impressive and is, so far, the best based on my experience."
  • "There are patches that cannot be implemented without any downtime or reboot required."

What other advice do I have?

Right now we haven't encountered any issues on our system that could result in our KPI being impacted.
Sr. Operations Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Extremely stable with reasonably priced hardware but needs a better management interface

• "The stability provided by the product is its most valuable feature for our organization."
  • "The management interface needs a lot of improvement. As it is right now, it's a pain to use. It's not user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

If there are other organizations considering the solution, I'd strongly advise that they get training on the management side. It's very important to do this in order to successfully implement and use the product. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this solution at a seven. It's good, however, it could use a simpler management structure. Cheaper licensing would go a long way as well. The UCS isn't the expensive part. It's more the Microsoft and VMware and the cost of running that.
DA
Implementation and Support Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Extremely stable with robust hardware and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for computation purposes.

• "The initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward."
  • "The price of this product is too high. They should work to make it more affordable."

What other advice do I have?

We're a Cisco partner. We are dealing with the latest version of the solution. I can't speak to the exact version number. I can recommend the solution wholeheartedly to other organizations. I would really recommend it due to the fact that it's a really stable technology. Also, it can produce a return on investment for organizations as well. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the product at an eight. We've largely been quite pleased with its capabilities.
Head Of IT Infrastructure and Support at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Fast configuration, high availability, priced fair, and user friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for a server.

• "Some of the features I like from this solution are it has a fast configuration, it is not complex, and has high availability."
  • "For future improvements, it would be a benefit if the solution could integrate better with products such as Oracle."

What other advice do I have?

I wanted to try out Cisco products because most of the big industries use them such as banks, IT, and telecommunications. Cisco itself produced the server and at the time I researched more about Cisco and then I want to try it. This is why I invested in a tool from Cisco. Additionally, I plan to implement level IP2, HyperFlex soon. I would recommend this solution for the financial sector and big industry enterprise companies that can invest with Cisco long-term. The scalability, high availability, and security all combined is a good offering. I rate Cisco UCS B-Series a nine out of ten.
See 3 more Cisco UCS B-Series Reviews