Cisco UCS B-Series Overview

Cisco UCS B-Series is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Blade Servers. It is most often compared to HPE Synergy: Cisco UCS B-Series vs HPE Synergy

What is Cisco UCS B-Series?
Based on Intel Xeon processor E7 and E5 product families, Cisco UCS B-Series Blade Servers work with virtualized and non-virtualized applications to increase: Performance, Energy efficiency, Flexibility and Administrator productivity.

Cisco UCS B-Series is also known as UCS B-Series, Unified Computing System B-Series.

Download the Blade Servers Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Cisco UCS B-Series Customers
Aegean Motorway, Anilana Hotels and Resorts, Anonymous Banking Group, Artoni Transporti, Bellevue, BH Telecom, Bowling Green State University, Children's Hospital Colorado, City of Biel, Dimension Data, Dualtec Cloud Builders, Hertz, Houston Methodist, Kuwait Petroleum Italia, Lufthansa Systems GmbH & Co.KG, Outscale, Sony Corporation, Talbots
Cisco UCS B-Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco UCS B-Series pricing:
  • "The pricing for Cisco is less than for the HP Proliant series."
  • "The price of this solution is a little bit higher, but given that this system is Cisco, it feels more secure and dependable."
  • "The price of this solution compared to others is fair."
  • "Cisco products are at the high end in terms of cost, but everything is included with the licensing fees."
  • "The pricing for Cisco products is always high."

Cisco UCS B-Series Reviews

RO
reviewer1414053
Senior Principal Systems Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Sep 19, 2020
Does what it is supposed to in the way the company represents with little room for improvement

What is our primary use case?

Primarily, we use UCS to run our virtualization stack.

• "The ratio in terms of the number of units and the number of servers that we can get each chassis is quite good."
  • "Cisco could improve the user-friendliness for less experienced users."

What other advice do I have?

Advice that I might want to give to someone considering the product is that I would say they really have to know their own use case to determine whether UCS is applicable as a solution for what they need. The B-Series is really meant for data center deployment. I would not propose or suggest it for small or medium enterprises simply because the initial investment is quite high. You need to get a server interconnection if you get a chance. And if you are not looking to potentially deploy a large number of servers in the near future, then B-series is really not necessary — it is overkill. On a…
SB
reviewer1199268
Sr. Network Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Sep 14, 2020
Processing of our system has greatly improved due to the CPU, functionality and security features

What is our primary use case?

We host mostly our production environment in the Blades because we have the production data running in those UCS Blades. I'm a senior network engineer and we are customers of Cisco.

• "Great security and functionality."
  • "Integration with storage could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I haven't had experience with others series, like the C-Series. I hope they are good but so far, after three, four years, this has been good and we haven't had any issues. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Super Micro and others in Blade Servers. Updated: April 2021.
475,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AMADO PLATA
IT Infrastructure Manager at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Apr 16, 2021
A user-friendly server that's easy to configure and manage

What is our primary use case?

We use it in our data center. In our infrastructure, we virtualize our servers.

• "I like that it's very manageable very easy to use and configure. I am not an expert, but the graphic user interface is quite simple very easy to use. It's a complete solution."
  • "We have to have Java to manage the infrastructure. It would be great if we can manage the infrastructure through a web browser."

What other advice do I have?

Before you buy infrastructure like this, I would recommend some training. It'll help to get really good training in infrastructure management. For example, in my case, a quick overview when I started to manage the infrastructure definitely helped. It's very hard because at the beginning you are a little lost. The infrastructure is easy to manage, but it would be better if you take time before you install the infrastructure to learn more. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco UCS B-Series a nine.
Ricky Santos
System Administrator at ON Semiconductor Phils. Inc.
ExpertTop 5
Sep 12, 2019
A highly available and flexible solution with a single point of administration

What is our primary use case?

Our whole VMware Farm is running on Flexpod, which uses the UCS B-Series for compute resources. Using the Blade along with Fibre Interconnect, it provides high availability and ease of migration to other hardware in case of failure. The cabling and power footprint is at the lowest so far.

• "The Dashboard is quite impressive and is, so far, the best based on my experience."
  • "There are patches that cannot be implemented without any downtime or reboot required."

What other advice do I have?

Right now we haven't encountered any issues on our system that could result in our KPI being impacted.
Mikael Jensen
Sr. Operations Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 19, 2020
Extremely stable with reasonably priced hardware but needs a better management interface

• "The stability provided by the product is its most valuable feature for our organization."
  • "The management interface needs a lot of improvement. As it is right now, it's a pain to use. It's not user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

If there are other organizations considering the solution, I'd strongly advise that they get training on the management side. It's very important to do this in order to successfully implement and use the product. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this solution at a seven. It's good, however, it could use a simpler management structure. Cheaper licensing would go a long way as well. The UCS isn't the expensive part. It's more the Microsoft and VMware and the cost of running that.
SilaMAY
Head Of IT Infrastructure and Support at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 6, 2021
Fast configuration, high availability, priced fair, and user friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for a server.

• "Some of the features I like from this solution are it has a fast configuration, it is not complex, and has high availability."
  • "For future improvements, it would be a benefit if the solution could integrate better with products such as Oracle."

What other advice do I have?

I wanted to try out Cisco products because most of the big industries use them such as banks, IT, and telecommunications. Cisco itself produced the server and at the time I researched more about Cisco and then I want to try it. This is why I invested in a tool from Cisco. Additionally, I plan to implement level IP2, HyperFlex soon. I would recommend this solution for the financial sector and big industry enterprise companies that can invest with Cisco long-term. The scalability, high availability, and security all combined is a good offering. I rate Cisco UCS B-Series a nine out of ten.
AR
ARAVIND RANGA
VMware Administrator at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Sep 12, 2020
Easy to maintain, supports a lot of RAM, and the service profile feature is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for SAP HANA in a QA development environment. It is at the core of our business.

• "The most valuable feature is the service profile."
  • "The configuration is a little bit complicated and could be made simpler."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
SS
reviewer1365930
Network Security Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Nov 8, 2020
Stable, easy to set up, and there are many experts available in the market

• "The initial setup is simple, and not very complex."
  • "The monitoring features and integration with other products can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Cisco UCS is that if it's within your budget, I recommend it because they are popular in the market and it is easy to find experts. Overall, this is a good product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 1 more Cisco UCS B-Series Reviews