Cisco UCS Director Overview

Cisco UCS Director is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Intersight: Cisco UCS Director vs Cisco Intersight

What is Cisco UCS Director?

Cisco UCS Director enables automated delivery of physical and virtual data center resources, empowering data centers to move at the speed of business.

Cisco UCS Director Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco UCS Director Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Cisco UCS Director Customers

Entel, Data#3, Cegal, NESIC, LightEdge

Cisco UCS Director Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco UCS Director pricing:
  • "The cost of this solution is significant."

Cisco UCS Director Reviews

Smart Emereonye
Senior Manager Infrastructure Engineer at Open Text
MSP
Jul 16, 2019
Brings agility to our organization, allowing for better manageability and faster deployment

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for automation. In my team, we manage approximately one thousand UCS blades. As such, scalability is very important. We use UCS director for simplified deployment, where we can use a single pane of glass to view everything across our thirty-five to forty data centers that we have globally.

• "UCS director enables us to be more productive and more agile, and also more self-sufficient because we don't have to depend on anybody else."
  • "Simplifying the user interface would go a long way to making it more usable."

What other advice do I have?

I am very happy with the product, and we will be pushing it to its limits as we go forward. My management team likes the fact that we are now more agile. When we have new business, we no longer have to wait for weeks to get systems into production. It is now a matter of days, or sometimes hours, from the time we receive shipments at a data center to the time it's live in production. Without UCS director it wouldn't be possible. As your environment grows, manageability becomes a problem. When you're trying to deploy rapidly, and your goal is to get to market as quickly as possible, you need to…
SunnyNair
System Architect at COMPASS IT Solutions & Services Pvt.Ltd.
Feb 16, 2020
Good multi-cloud management capability, but third-party and legacy integration needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is the interconnection between two applications. One that resides on the data center and the other that resides in the architecture. It's a scale-out architecture and a hybrid setup. In case there are any workloads, it works on either public or private cloud architecture.

• "I can manage multiple workloads whether it's on AWS, Azure, or on-premises. They can be managed by using the UCS Director."
  • "Normally, UCS Director is used primarily for orchestration, but when we look at a non-Cisco data infrastructure components, the UCS Director needs a bit more improvement in terms of integration with third-party systems and with existing older systems."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to look at the features that you are looking for. If you are looking for central management and a self-service catalog, and are predominantly in a mix of the cloud as well as on-premises architecture, then you should look at UCS Director as a solution. There are some advantages offered, such as: * Adaptive provisioning, which ensures real-time availability, capacity planning, and internal policy. * Dynamic capacity management, which provides continuous monitoring of the infrastructure and resources. * Multiple hypervisor support, which is very important. * Computing management…
Learn what your peers think about Cisco UCS Director. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,962 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ronny Hise
Network Engineer at Big5
Jul 17, 2019
Strong solution that unifies computer systems while still being easy to manage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for Cisco UCS is workflow enhancement.

• "A product that really aids in systems management without complexity."
  • "The product could allow more programmatic opportunities through better development of the API."

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution should be considered an eight out of ten. To get a ten from me and for what I do, there has to be more flexibility in the API. I'm tired of being the tip of the sword. Enhance programming and programmability. As I said, I don't know if there's somebody else who does something like Cisco's UCS management. So I think my capabilities kinda get pigeonholed a little bit.
Muhmmad Aldaasiyyan
System Manager at Imam University
Aug 27, 2019
A user-friendly and easy-to-use solution to improve network performance and security

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to generate workflows. It is deployed in our private cloud environment.

• "This is a user-friendly solution that is very good and easy to use."
  • "I would like to see more integration with other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend for others. The biggest lesson that I have learned from this solution is that you have to have patience at the beginning. You cannot rush it. This is a good product, but improvements never end. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1135773
Associate Director, Technology Architecture at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Oct 15, 2019
Good fabric sharing and security, but needs integration with other hardware vendors

What is our primary use case?

I was responsible for fixing this solution in my company. My role was designing the zones.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the fabric sharing."
  • "We cannot depend on this solution to manage all of the data center's infrastructure."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody considering this solution is to first have the vision to convert all of your x86 data center hardware to UCS. Do not add it for a specific use case, such as a cloud manager. Cisco recommends this solution for cloud management, but it should not be done unless you plan to replace all of your hardware with Cisco. This is a good solution, but I would like to see integration with other hardware vendors. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Hicham Azarou
Virtualization Consultant at SFR
Apr 19, 2020
Flexible and the documentation is good, but better integration with other stacks is needed

What is our primary use case?

The typical use case is for web services. It is integrated with our database.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to first consider and understand the use case. Think about your high-level design, the business requirements, how scalable and how flexible it has to be, and what your own availability is. Overall, I think that this is a very good product, although nothing is perfect. There are still some small improvements that can be made to make it better. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.