Cisco UCS Manager OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco UCS Manager is the #10 ranked solution in our list of Infrastructure Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Cisco Intersight: Cisco UCS Manager vs Cisco Intersight

What is Cisco UCS Manager?
Cisco UCS Manager helps significantly reduce management and administration expenses by automating routine tasks to increase operational agility. Customers can extend the benefits of Cisco UCS Manager globally across an enterprise to thousands of servers in multiple domains with Cisco UCS Central Software.
Cisco UCS Manager Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco UCS Manager Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cisco UCS Manager Customers
Management Science Associates, Peak 10, Virtual Consulting Professionals
Cisco UCS Manager Video

Archived Cisco UCS Manager Reviews (more than two years old)

Ahmed-Omar
Senior System Administrator at Royalcement
Helps us manage our infrastructure and reduce time and effort but upgrades should be made easier

• "The hardware is very powerful and it is a stable solution."
  • "The installation and upgrade sytems need to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to help us manage our infrastructure and reduce time and effort for these tasks.

How has it helped my organization?

Right now it has improved only some things as we need to upgrade for additional functionality.

What is most valuable?

What would be the most valuable features for us are things we can't even work with yet. We work with an older version of the product that cannot do some things that we need. We can't install the next version because we cannot find great local support assistance for Cisco.

So, instead of using these features through Cisco, which is eventually what we want to do, we blend in with other solutions like Nutanix. The upgrade in Nutanix is very easy and doesn't require downtime. But with Cisco, we have already products and services in the server. We can't afford the downtime that it would take to make the upgrade and we can't find anyone professional to assist us with the problem at this point.

What needs improvement?

If there were a way to make the upgrade process better, it would be great. Our most important issue right now is to resolve the installation barrier so we can use the product features fully. We needed to phase in new hardware and try again with Cisco HyperFlex M5.

Also if we had one interface, it would solve some operating issues. If we can control all devices from one interface, I think it would help a lot.

We have been using UCS (Unified Computing System) manager for three years

The solution itself is very stable.

I think this product is very scalable. We have maybe 50 or 60 users right now working with SAP applications like S/4 HANA and it's working well for now. For now, we do not have immediate plans to scale usage as far as staff, but we are investing in new hardware. This will allow us to make any upgrades before we put the products into production. We can do the upgrade with no downtime no problems.

The system for technical support is working well, but I've opened more than five or six technical support issues for HyperFlex. So it's very good for response time and attention, but when I asked to make this upgrade, they tell me that they can't do that. If you want to upgrade or want any service, we can open new tickets. But we open one and then another and the problem isn't solved.

With HyperFlex, the firmware has some issues. If we can't upgrade, we can't solve some problems and enhance the threshold in this product. We need solutions to problems not to just open more tickets.

We did work with previous products to set up a traditional server solution. We switched to Cisco UCS Manager because it is more powerful. We knew about our limitations because we were not familiar with this product and lack some better access to local technical support. We planned to take the UCS Manager course and training to solve these issues.

The installation is very complex. We work with Hypervisor VMware. We study the competitive advantage of different combinations and compatibilities. Because there are so many options this process becomes very complex. Compared to Nutanix, we don't investigate anything. We just click download and install the system.

From day one when we were initiating HyperFlex, we worked with version 1.9 at the time. After one year, we made the upgrade to 2.0 and then 2.1. After many open tickets and trying many times, we can't upgrade the tool to 2.201. So, we are still trying to get to the point where we want to be with the implementation and it is one year and three months.

We implemented on our own but for the upgrade with would like to work with assistance. We have not been able to find proper assistance in our area.

If someone working with SAP (System Analysis and Program Development) or some other system, I recommend HyperFlex for that infrastructure as a better hardware solution but not the application. If you work with SAP and something like S/4 HANA or anything else, Cisco is a good hardware solution.

On a scale from one to ten, where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Cisco USC Manager a seven because the pricing and quality of the product with the discount from Cisco make HyperFlex a good value compared to other solution.

As we preferred Cisco as a solution at a great price, I think many people will consider it a better option. With some training and support, we can solve the issues we have.

Before choosing Cisco, we did not evaluate other options because we were familiar with the company through other products and their reputation.

EM
System Specialist at MTN
A solution that offers lots of functionality, while being stable and highly scalable

• "The solution is highly scalable, mainly because of the templates that make it easy for you to actually edit on the system."
  • "I found it a bit of a challenge to get training on UCSM. I've been trying to get that for some time now. I feel like I have to figure it out a lot of things myself. For years I've to log calls with support whenever I've got challenges that I cannot resolve. If I had some training or more manuals, I'd be better able to handle more things on my own."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily usually use UCS Manager where we've installed from the ESXI Host and are hosting multiple UCM's.

How has it helped my organization?

There are occasions when we have or have had one of the VM licenses expiring and that required us to quickly create a new implementation of some issues. The solution makes the process easy.

What is most valuable?

If I'm playing with a new host, the most valuable aspect is that those servers can get a host up and running in quickly.

What needs improvement?

I found it a bit of a challenge to get training on UCSM. I've been trying to get that for some time now. I feel like I have to figure out a lot of things myself. For years I've to log calls with support whenever I've got challenges that I cannot resolve. If I had some training or more manuals, I'd be better able to handle more things on my own.

They should work to simplify the server creation template.

I've been using the solution since 2016.

The solution feels very stable. I seldom get UCS Manager related issues.

The solution is highly scalable, mainly because of the templates that make it easy for you to actually edit on the system.

Technical support is good, but I find it best when I log a call when the team in America is working so that it gets assigned to someone there. European support isn't as good as the US support.

I wasn't a part of the original setup team, so I can't speak to its level of difficulty. You only need one administrator to handle the solution once it's implemented.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

It's a good solution, as long as you can maneuver admin paths and are competent in running the day to day support tasks.

The solution is a bit complicated and complex, but the trade-off is you have a lot of functionality.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco UCS Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,462 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Network Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a great tool for configuring all the features required for servers like storage, compute, and network.

Valuable Features:

It's a great tool for configuring all the features required for servers like storage, compute, and network.

Improvements to My Organization:

The best thing about UCSM and the UCS B-Series servers is its centralization, which means from one location we can configure storage, network and compute for all the servers that will be using it. It's very easy to add more servers with a very less effort.

Room for Improvement:

So far for me, it's great and is a perfect solution. But the GUI needs some work.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Valuable Features:

Improvements to My Organization:

Room for Improvement:

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability Issues:

We've had no issues with scalability.

Technical Specialist at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Unification of storage as well as networking and compute and defining them with software (SDDC) are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

The best product in the market for Cloud business -- CAPEX and OPEX -- will be reduced.

What needs improvement?

Complete integration of the network, and the Nexus layer management and configurations could be improved.

We've used it for over five years.

Initial configuration of FlexPod due to the knowledge limitation.

We faced issue with Nexus vem licensing issue which makes our complete DC went isolated in connect

What do I think about the

What needs improvement?

We've used it for over five years.

Initial configuration of FlexPod due to the knowledge limitation.

Scalability wise it was very nice, it would be good if the maximum limitation of chassis for the FlexPod is changed from 32 to 64 – which allows more scalability for the business

It's very good.

It's very good.

No previous solution used.

It was complex due to a limitation in our knowledge.

Through a vendor who had good expertise.

It has a good ROI comparatively to all other products/solutions.

IBM infrastructure with a Microsoft solution.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend that you go with a Cisco UCS solution for a cloud business.

Download our free Cisco UCS Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.