DT
Project Delivery Coordinator at a media company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Feature-rich, well-priced, stable, and the support is good

• "Some clients only want DNS security, while others want more of the advanced features that it has available."
  • "We would like to see the enhancements made to the EDR, as we see features that are running endpoint management."

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers of Cisco. We provide many different Cisco solutions. Sometimes it is just the physical hardware, although we also implement software.

What is most valuable?

Some clients only want DNS security, while others want more of the advanced features that it has available.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see the enhancements made to the EDR, as we see features that are running endpoint management. For example, If you want to have this feature included, you will also need another product such as Kaspersky.

If it can come included with Cisco Umbrella, it would be a good point to have.

I have been using Cisco Umbrella for three years.

We are using the latest version, but we have many different Cisco packages.

It is a stable solution, which is why we have been using it for three years.

This is a scalable product. At the moment, we have installed Cisco Umbrella for 20,000 users.

We have premium support, so we have 24/7 support with Cisco. This is not an area that is an issue for us.

We have our experts to complete the installation.

If you have the skills from a network point of view, then the implementation is not complex.

We have an in-house team and we provide support to our clients. We have a SOC with security and we provide clients with our expertise 24/7.

The price is quite good.

As we are resellers we provide our customers with several solutions to do a comparison, and the reaction is that Cisco is quite good.

The license is perpetual and you pay yearly depending on the number of licenses you need.

What other advice do I have?

The only thing that was missing, feature-wise, was the sandbox, but it is in place now.

Based on our expertise, I would rate Cisco Umbrella a ten out of ten.

ES
Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Can be used to provide more security when employees are working from home

• "I think recently with many people working from home, Cisco Umbrella has been very useful. For example, we can manage the device and the network when the employee is not working on the local host. Cisco Umbrella is very valuable for this kind of infrastructure."
  • "I think it's a very basic solution, and because of that, Cisco Umbrella would not be a suitable solution for large companies."

What is our primary use case?

The customers that we provide this solution to are small businesses that have 10 to 25 employees.

Employees working from home normally don't have security, so through the cloud we can manage the devices, the endpoints, a mobile or notebook, etc. We can provide more security for these devices when the employee is not working on VPN, for example.

What is most valuable?

I think recently with many people working from home, Cisco Umbrella has been very useful. For example, we can manage the device and the network when the employee is not working on the local host. Cisco Umbrella is very valuable for this kind of infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

I think it's a very basic solution, and because of that, we provide it to the small business market. Cisco Umbrella would not be a suitable solution for large companies.

In the next release, integration or shoulder, for example, to a firewall on-premises using Cisco Umbrella to connect would be good. If possible, it would be good to take the weight off the shoulder of the solutions.

I've been working with Cisco Umbrella for around one year.

Our customers have not had any problems with stability.

The scalability of Cisco Umbrella is very good.

When we had problems, technical support was 100% helpful, so I think it is very good.

The initial setup is very simple. We usually have one engineer per customer for deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to small businesses. Compared to the next-generation firewall, I think Cisco Umbrella is more basic than other solutions.

I would rate it at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SUDIPTABISWAS
Senior Manager - Information Technology at Emami Ltd
I've found the malware protection feature valuable

• "I have found the malware protection feature valuable. It is helpful and deliverable and is able to protect my entire organization from getting compromised. It also prevents us from visiting any malicious sites which are not visible to the users."
  • "It could be improved by having a local data center and caching, which can provide protection support. I would like to be able to channel my intel and my network traffic to their clouds, and this feature is not available. Advanced protection or any malware file support, which might be required, is not available."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to control how the end users can access our data center services and internet services, which gives us an inner view of the user behavior and how they are doing, and if any malicious activity is going on, knowingly, unknowingly, or both.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization's systems have not been hampered, thereby improving the security of the end users.

What is most valuable?

I have found the malware protection feature valuable. It is helpful and deliverable and is able to protect my entire organization from getting compromised. It also prevents us from visiting any malicious sites which are not visible to the users.

What needs improvement?

It could be improved by having a local data center and caching, which can provide protection support. I would like to be able to channel my intel and my network traffic to their clouds, and this feature is not available. Advanced protection or any malware file support, which might be required, is not available.

We have been using Cisco Umbrella for four months.

My impression is that it is stable.

My experience with technical support has been good.

The setup was straightforward and was easy to implement.

Our internal team and a partner both worked together to deploy Cisco Umbrella, and it did not take more than two weeks.

Pricing depends on the automation requirements of the organization.

What other advice do I have?

First, understand the requirements and what you are looking for. Second, read the product literature and perform a Poc of that product. You will then be able to determine whether Cisco Umbrella is a good match.

AS
Network Consultant at a security firm with 51-200 employees
One of the easiest ways to avoid phishing attacks

• "Cisco Umbrella is a totally different solution. They are the first to come up with this idea of security. It's a totally new concept of security for everybody, for every time, real time, perfectionism."
  • "I would like them to make some videos, practical videos, the kind with steps that people can use to learn and deploy"

What is our primary use case?

We have small, medium and enterprise customers.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Umbrella is a totally different solution. They are the first to come up with this idea of security. It's a totally new concept of security for everybody, for every time, real time, perfectionism. The browsing is great compared to other products. You will be protected by Cisco rather than other security solutions where you must first be rerouted and then they will start working on the domain rather than this. This couldn't be compared to any other solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like them to make some videos, practical videos, the kind with steps that people can use to learn and deploy.

You could say maybe two years or three years that we have been working with Cisco Umbrella.

Cisco Umbrella is very stable.

Cisco Umbrella is very scalable.

Cisco technical support is always fine.

A couple of clicks that we have had it up and running. Cisco requires more documentation regarding to the basic configurations. That is what I can say. I don't think I'm expecting it from Cisco's side.

You could say the price is a little bit high.

What other advice do I have?

If you start to talk about it, it's a really interesting new kind of security product rather than other places before it. There is a place to come on to find a solution. So this is one of the easiest ways to avoid phishing attacks. This is one of the strong products. I would rate Cisco Umbrella at a nine on a scale of ten.

AT
General Manager at a mining and metals company with 10,001+ employees
Good web filtering features, stable, and scalable, but the security could be improved

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the Web Filtering and the APT."
  • "If the security issues are taken care of it would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella in our clients' companies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the Web Filtering and the APT. The APT is something that I find to be very good in Cisco.

What needs improvement?

The detection of wireless attacks or targeted attacks reports many false rates. This is an area that needs some improvement.

It should be more specific. This can help the customers to know the exact incident details.

The intel logs and the incident proactive security incidents for targeted attacks are also something that needs to be improved.

If the security issues are taken care of it would be better.

I have been working with Cisco Umbrella for two years.

This solution is stable. There are no issues with stability.

It's a scalable solution.

I am not managing this area. I have not contacted technical support.

We have worked with Forcepoint and vScaler.

I would recommend vScaler. On the Cloud front, the product is quite stable, and it is easy to manage.

vScaler and Cisco Umbrella are comparable.

I was not a part of the installation and deployment.

I have not received any complaints, it appears that it was seamless.

The price could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

The web filtering works well. On the endpoint, the implementation should be properly planned, meticulously planned, to avoid missing any configuration that could cause major issues.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella a seven out of ten.

Sean Cottman
Chief Enterprise Architect at Expanded Reality
Great security and access control features

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to provide Dorel filtering and security for our WiFi environment. I'm the chief enterprise architect and we are customers of Cisco Umbrella.

What is most valuable?

The security and access control features are the most valuable for us.

What needs improvement?

Improvements could be made with the user interface, it could be a little smoother and more intuitive.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is very stable.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The security and access control features are the most valuable for us.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is very stable.

I have scaled it in other companies and it scales very well. It's got a UV, it's got a decent user interface so once you go to Cisco training, they offer it when you buy the product so that if you are a small business looking for something like Umbrella, you can set it and forget it and it works. You can also tie it into your WiFi solution.

Tech support at Cisco is great. Not just for this project. I've been working with Cisco equipment and Cisco tech for 25 years now and I've never had a problem with them.

The initial setup was relatively straightforward. We had an implementation strategy and it wasn't particularly difficult.

What other advice do I have?

In general, Umbrella is a competitive solution for small or large enterprise. It's never the cheapest, but it's always in the competition, at least in my experience. I would recommend the solution, there's no reason not to go there, depending on your specific situation, of course.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Nestor Raul Quintana Martinez
Consultor en Seguridad de la Información at ISS
Fast and easy to setup with a nice DNS-Layer of security

• "Cisco Umbrella is such a solution and can be implemented very fast and easy. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that are going to use in Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service."
  • "There are cheaper solutions in the market"

What is our primary use case?

The Cisco Umbrella solution offers protection to everyone that will be connected to the internet because Umbrella provides a DNS-layer of security. When someone connects to the internet or they set up the DNS service, that person will use the Umbrella service and the extra layer of Umbrella. All their traits are to be located before they get to the device that the person is using to connect to the internet.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Umbrella can be implemented very fast and easily. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that is going to use Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service.

Cisco Umbrella is such a solution and can be implemented very fast and easily. All that we must do is redirect the DNS registers in their routers, or the active directory service of the enterprise that is going to use in Umbrella services. If you buy the service now, in two hours you are protected by the service because it's very fast to put in service.

There are cheaper solutions in the market, but when we say that we work with Cisco, usually we must handle the security architecture of Cisco more than a single product, so we can be successful in selling the security solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cisco Umbrella at an eight on a scale of ten. I rate it at an eight because there must be something to improve in Umbrella.

RT
Spider Solutions CTO at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Affordable, easy to use, with good visibility

• "It offers good visibility for the Administrator. The administrator has full visibility of what is blocked or has the knowledge of where users go when they are surfing the internet."
  • "I would like to see more integrability with other products."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella for protecting the web surfing channel.

When users are accessing the internet, mainly for web surfing,  Umbrella will protect the access to the internet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

It's very Robust.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integrability with other products.

If I could take this information and integrate it with other products, it would be beneficial.

We have been using Cisco Umbrella for two years.

We are using the latest version.

We have no issues with the stability of the Cisco Umbrella.

Cisco Umbrella is a scalable product.

We have 100 users in our organization who are using this solution.

Technical support is fine.

For us, the installation was very easy.

We had the option of using the on-premises device, which would give you better visibility, but we didn't use it. This choice made the installation very easy.

The licensing fee is paid on a yearly basis.

The price is okay. I don't have any issues with the price of the Cisco Umbrella.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Cisco Umbrella an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco Umbrella Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.