Cisco Umbrella Overview

Cisco Umbrella is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Web Security Gateways. It is most often compared to Zscaler Internet Access: Cisco Umbrella vs Zscaler Internet Access

What is Cisco Umbrella?

OpenDNS provides easy-to-implement Internet navigation and Web security solutions for families, schools, governmental organizations and businesses of all sizes. The services provided by OpenDNS increase the speed of navigating websites and prevent unintended access to phishing and malware sites as well as to any Web content that you configure to be restricted.

Cisco Umbrella is also known as OpenDNS.

Cisco Umbrella Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Umbrella Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Cisco Umbrella Customers

Chart Industries, City of Aspen, Eastern Mountain Sports, FLEXcon, George Washington University, Jackson Municipal Airport Authority, Ohio Public Library Information Network, PTC, Richland Community College, Smart Motors, Tulane University, VeriClaim

Cisco Umbrella Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cisco Umbrella pricing:
  • "Cisco has a model called ELA. With ELA, if you buy the solution you will have the complete security portfolio and you can pay it yearly or after three years, it depends on the contract."
  • "The licensing part for Umbrella is really flexible."
  • "There are three models for licensing with different feature sets."
  • "Cisco uses subscription models for the pricing and there are three subscription plans."
  • "I am not sure, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think it's $1.00 or so per device/month."
  • "It has a reasonable price. It is certainly not as expensive as it used to be. It is in line with other offerings on the market. There are a number of different flavors of Umbrella. They could bring Umbrella SIG down a bit because its price is a little bit high for what it does, but I also understand why its price is high."
  • "When talking about Cisco solutions in general there pricing model is horrible. For example, you can sell a Meraki-based solution, but if the customer starts shopping around, someone is going to have access to the pricing at a level that you cannot compete because they do not have uniform pricing. Not everybody gets fair pricing. Unless you are one of the real major corporations selling the solution your ability to compete is impossible. Cisco will acknowledge the situation and assure you next time it will be in your favor but it never becomes favorable for you. Cisco is not very good in this regard. However, Umbrella is good."
  • "In the region I'm from, that of EMAR, Europe, the Middle East, Eastern Asia and Africa, our organizations do not have many liquid cash assets, so the price could be better."

Syed Ali Wajahat
Sr Network and Security Consultant (SDN & Security) at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Top 20Popular
Offers protection from DNS-based attacks and improves visibility

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is for DNS based attacks and for malware protection. It has a malware protection engine. If you install Cisco Umbrella Clients on the remote PC, you can do URL filtering, malware protection, and you can check the health and status of the device itself.

• "It will protect, give you more robustness, and faster responses, compared to any firewalls or any of the proxy web servers."
  • "It would be useful if they had a malware protection engine running inside their own VM."

What other advice do I have?

If somebody is looking toward the Cisco Umbrella solution or if they have an NGIPS, NG firewalls, next-generation firewall solutions and if they are looking for DNS-based security, and if they are implementing it then Cisco Umbrella is a good solution. Keep that in mind that it will make a lot of noise, users will be blocked at the beginning and many of the URLs will be blocked. It will need to be fine-tuned. The fine-tuning is required one month after implementation. You will need to fine-tune the OpenDNS Cisco Umbrella database, just to have all the URLs there for your corporate environment…
MC
Technical Presales Consultant : Cisco Security at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Segmenting email and web proxy features stand out but missing pieces leave holes to be filled

What is our primary use case?

Cisco has its own cloud that they manage Umbrella on. So Umbrella is not like any part of AWS or Azure or GPP. Our use case for Umbrella all depends on our customer's requirements. Cisco Umbrella has many packages to help address these requirements. The current package which we are working on incorporating more is Cisco Umbrella SIG, which is the Secure Internet Gateway. It has just been launched as part of Umbrella and we are currently exploring its capabilities and utility for our clients. There are a lot of use cases for Umbrella, and for us those use cases include the following: * One of… more »

• "Helps block personal email accounts."
  • "Web proxy adds an effective layer for security."
  • "Missing a real data leakage prevention solution."
  • "Data reporting could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

The advice that I would give someone looking at the Umbrella solution is that they can evaluate Umbrella because it is very easy to set up. You can get started discovering the product and do a little to check it out. They should make sure that all their use cases are covered by Umbrella. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Cisco Umbrella as somewhere between a seven-point-five to eight, personally. But I will give it a seven overall.
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Umbrella. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SK
NOC Lead at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Protection from malware for roaming employees that comes recommended

What is our primary use case?

I do not know what the latest version is that is currently installed, but it is cloud-based monitoring so it is one of the most recent versions. The primary use case is for endpoint users who are not working on our office premises. They are remote employees who are roaming so they are not within our protected zone. They can be vulnerabilities if they are browsing content and there is malware included on those web sites. Umbrella allows this kind of monitoring on remote devices and we can block those sites. We can also block applications which we would like not to allow to be running in the… more »

• "Provides dependable DNS monitoring of external devices."
  • "The initial setup is very easy and takes only a few minutes."
  • "They need to improve analytics so they report on more of the specifics of user activity."

What other advice do I have?

My only real advice to people considering Umbrella is that I can recommend this solution. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I can rate Cisco Umbrella as a nine-out-of-ten.
Ayman Totounji
Chief Executive Officer at Cynexlink, LLC

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Umbrella for web security and it's very good. It acts as web filtration combined with security and I am very supportive of it, especially with cybersecurity trending these days and the amount of malware and spyware out there. It's important for end-users to have some sort of protection when they're browsing the internet and this product does that. Before it lets you go, it filters and gives you the okay to move forward with the website you're looking for. A lot of customers tend to make typos when they're searching for websites, which then leads them to unknown websites that… more »

• "It's very stable, reliable and does its job."
  • "It has happened in the past that Cisco Umbrella has denied us access to secure websites."

What other advice do I have?

I like this product and I'd really recommend it to everyone. Obviously, it's not the only product out there, but today, every endpoint should have multiple layers of security. You need to protect your users when they are browsing—open DNS. You need to protect them from emails, both inbound and outbound and you need to protect the endpoint from breaching. I would rate Cisco Umbrella a nine out of ten.
JL
Security BDM UK at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Fully functional, mitigates problems before they strike, and simple to install and configure

What is our primary use case?

I am using it at home for my personal defense. We also use it in our company.

• "Its simplicity is most valuable. I can install it and get it up and running, and it can be pervasive across my business within a business day. It is pretty simple and straightforward to install and configure. Its remit is reasonably clearly defined. When you look at solutions like Darktrace and Carbon Black, the mission objective isn't as clearly defined. Cisco Umbrella, Sophos Central, or some of the other solutions have a more standardized approach to antivirus, which includes enhanced response from the machine learning or deep learning perspective."
  • "The API is very Cisco orientated, which is absolutely fine if you're using Cisco Firepower and SecureX kind of products, but if you want to integrate with third parties, it is a bit tricky. There are some key API connectors for the more prevalent SIEM tools. I would really like to see in Cisco Umbrella the ability to create customized reports and then assign the rights to view these reports to people within a group. I should be able to create a customized report, which is viewable by anybody who has the rights. I should be able to create groups within Cisco Umbrella, and then assign reports to groups and have those reports split out automatically only to those groups. I can kind of do it by restricting my email list, but it is a half-complete way of doing it."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise having a clear idea of where you want your users to go, what do you want to do, and what do you want to restrict your users on. Have a clear point of view, and then look at it from the perspective of the role of the user within the organization. This is going to define your groups. You can then put users in groups, and then you've kind of related roles and groups, which makes management easier in the future. I would rate Cisco Umbrella an eight out of ten. It is good and solid, but it is not perfect, so it is not a ten. There are areas of improvement, so it is not a nine.
KE
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Effective site blocking, mature, and highly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for DNS filtering to try and make sure that users do not make ill-advised clicks and find themselves in harm's way. Once we started to implement it, we realized that just putting Cisco Umbrella appliances on the company's network was not good enough. The notebooks travel and the risk factor travels. We switched over and for some time now, we have deployed it predominantly on roaming clients.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to block users from reaching places that they should not even try to reach has been a boon."
  • "One of the issues with Umbrella is as you get into endpoint detection and response, such as EDR point solutions, some of them will not integrate well with Umbrella. Sometimes when you want to use technology, such as Always On VPN, it will not work. There are some looming issues as one type of technology starts to crossover with Umbrella. That is the challenge and Umbrella should find a way to be more compatible with some of the endpoint response solutions that are coming out on the market."

What other advice do I have?

If you are not using some form of DNS filtering to guard against threats, you are not doing a good job on security in the current climate anymore. I rate Cisco Umbrella a nine out of ten.
BF
Network Engineer & Security Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Scalable with a straightforward setup but the pricing could be better

What is our primary use case?

The solution is similar to a web security appliance. However, it is like filtering on a cloud base, not on-premise. Basically, it is not fully mature, which means it's not yet ready to replace the WSA, however, over a period of time, it could to a certain extent. It's a cloud solution to protect against fake domain IDs. It can be your filtering solution and can also do a few other things with the other features on it.

• "The solution is extremely stable. It has excellent performance."
  • "The pricing could always be a little bit better."

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with Cisco. I haven't done any POCs with this solution in the last 10 months or so, and I only have two clients on the product. I would recommend the solution. I'd rate it at a seven out of ten overall. We've been mostly happy with the product.
Samuel-Emesoronye
Network Architect at Signal Allinace
Excellent support, but this should be available on a regional basis

What is our primary use case?

We are using the most updated version, although I cannot definitively give the number. I believe it is 1.6.

• "I like the original functionality, which allows for providing secure DNS services."
  • "The integration with Cisco could be better."

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution both internally and externally, as the company for which I work, Signal Alliance, is a systems integrator. One should keep an open mind when it comes to using the solution, start off easy and then proceed to compliant. I rate Cisco Umbrella as a seven out of ten.
See 23 more Cisco Umbrella Reviews