Cisco Web Security Appliance OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cisco Web Security Appliance is #5 ranked solution in top Web Security Gateways. IT Central Station users give Cisco Web Security Appliance an average rating of 8 out of 10. Cisco Web Security Appliance is most commonly compared to Cisco Umbrella:Cisco Web Security Appliance vs Cisco Umbrella. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 41% of all views.
What is Cisco Web Security Appliance?

For security, your network needs malware protection, application visibility and control, acceptable use policy controls, insightful reporting and secure mobility. Cisco offers this protection, all on a single platform: the Cisco Web Security Appliance (WSA).

Cisco Web Security Appliance was previously known as Cisco WSA, Cisco Web Security.

Cisco Web Security Appliance Buyer's Guide

Download the Cisco Web Security Appliance Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2021

Cisco Web Security Appliance Customers

New South Wales Rural Fire Service, Caixa Seguradora

Cisco Web Security Appliance Video

Archived Cisco Web Security Appliance Reviews (more than two years old)

MF
Network Security Engineer & Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Good third-party integration for user authentication and authorization, but technical support needs improvement

• "This solution offers categorization for YouTube and other specific applications from Facebook to WhatsApp, which can be controlled whether it's on mobile or PC."
  • "Technical support needs to be improved because they take a very long time and there is no communication or notification."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for securing network traffic.

What is most valuable?

The Gateway is an advantage that I can see in Cisco.

The WCCP is good at delivering HTTP and HTTPS traffic. Before this ping forwarding was a problem for us.

You can partition your IPs based on scoring from Cisco Cloud.

There is a variety of options for integration with other products for authentication and authorization of users.

You can control everything through policy.

What needs improvement?

Technical support needs to be improved because they take a very long time and there is no communication or notification.

Controlling engines at the network layer needs to handle more links or multiple links from the internet.

Controlling with the applications, or more applications as part of the local applications so that it's bigger.

The price should be moderated.

I have been using this product in my daily operations for forty years.

When it comes to this technical support, sometimes it is not good. If you open a case with the local region here in the Middle East, sometimes also from the outside, the tech support takes a long time getting you logged in and troubleshooting files and screenshots.

They are not quick to respond or in the analysis, they don't even let you know what the current status is with my issue or a plan of resolving it.

I have been impacted often with issues regarding our integration from Cisco with this solution.

The technical support takes a lot of time without any feedback or any answers. They never even let you know if they are working on fixing it.

After some time, I end up fixing it myself.

And after a long time, I troubleshoot this issue and fix it myself. And notification would be cleared.

I know from the manager that the price is too high and that other solutions offer the same features for less.

There are some other powerful competitors such as ForcePoint and Symantec.

What other advice do I have?

I use this product and implement it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

GF
Network Security Team Leader
Technical support is good but the feature awareness needs to be better

• "The technical support is good. It is reactive and the documentation is very specific and very useful."
  • "The FTD 21 model's Firepower Threat Defense does not have the multi-instance feature for the virtualization with the physical equipment."

What is our primary use case?

This is one of the solutions that we provide to our customers.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution needs to be reduced.

The FTD 21 model's Firepower Threat Defense does not have the multi-instance feature for the virtualization with the physical equipment. This makes it difficult to propose this solution to the customers.

The issue that we are facing is, for example, if we have a project with a client, and we suggest the twenty-one series, we don't know until we have implemented it that we do not have the multi-instance feature.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The technical support is good. It is reactive and the documentation is very specific and very useful.

When you compare the price of this solution to the price of FortiGate, it's high.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Web Security Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Ayhan Tunc
Deputy General Manager at BTS Group
The web security is good and it is user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly for web security for content and products, or for URL filtering.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features is of the solution is that it is user-friendly and we get good web security from it.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is too high, so that could be improved. Also, the solution is not very compatible with other products.

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is a very stable solution.

The setup was very easy and straightforward.

It is a very expensive program and therefore many people choose other,…

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for two years.

It is a very stable solution.

The setup was very easy and straightforward.

It is a very expensive program and therefore many people choose other, cheaper programs.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution a nine out of ten. I hope to see the next release being more affordable and better integration between platforms.

YK
Director at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
It's most valuable feature is its convenience.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security.

What is most valuable?

It's most valuable feature is its convenience.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see management automation in the next release.

It's so expensive. It's $10,000 per year.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security.

What is most valuable?

It's most valuable feature is its convenience.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see management automation in the next release.

It's so expensive. It's $10,000 per year.