Wojciech Kaczor
Board Member and Co-Owner at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Helpful support, easy to set up , and offers good stability

• "The support is very good. Technical support is very helpful."
  • "For all products on the market, the availability of the products may not be ideal. We're waiting on a lot of products simply due to the fact that there's a material shortage. We've ordered products and have had to wait three or four months for anything to get delivered. This is not just Cisco. It's a problem on the market for all components which include semiconductors."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for our company as well as for our clients.

What is most valuable?

What's the most important for us is the reliability of this product, and that's it. We are sure that they work fine and they are fully developed and add great new functions.

The support is very good.  Technical support is very helpful.

The initial setup is easy - especially in the Mobility Express solution.

The stability is very good.

What needs improvement?

Cisco proposed a new version of their product, however, I don't have any requirements which are not already met.

For all products on the market, the availability of the products may not be ideal. We're waiting on a lot of products simply due to the fact that there's a material shortage. We've ordered products and have had to wait three or four months for anything to get delivered. This is not just Cisco. It's a problem on the market for all components which include semiconductors.

I've used the solution for 20 years. I've used the solution for a long time.

We've never faced any stability issues. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

We use this solution for medium enterprises.

I'm very satisfied with technical support. The technical support of Cisco is the best on the market. They are very helpful and responsive.

I also work with Fortinet. I have much more experience with Cisco. I don't have so much experience with Fortinet.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly difficult or complex. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

As integrators, we can install the solution for our clients.

They have different products which can be used by some customers, from small and medium to large enterprises. The portfolio is very wide. It's difficult to say if they are expensive or not as they have expensive products, however, they are very scalable and great for very large objects.

Maybe they are a little bit above the average on the market, however, for what you get, mostly it's worth it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a system integrator. I'm a Cisco partner. The company is a Cisco Gold Partner.

Cisco is great due to the fact that there is so much documentation online. It's very easy to research it and learn it and to troubleshoot if you need, simply due to the fact that there's so much shared knowledge out there. I'm not sure if that;'s the case for any other solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

JA
Domain Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, great for large enterprises, and has good technical support

• "The stability of the solution is good."
  • "The new licensing model isn't as good as what they had before."

What is our primary use case?

I've worked with system integrators and I have deployed the product on multiple types of environments. I've worked at the corporate offices. I've worked on 3G, 4G offloading, public Wi-Fi networks, et cetera.

How has it helped my organization?

You don't have to manage or deploy multiple types of Wi-Fi networks for different use cases. With something like Cisco, your one Wi-Fi solution can cover most or all of your use cases.

What is most valuable?

It is a good fit for large enterprises or even service providers.

Overall, it's a good solution.

The product is very scalable.

It's configured well and it supports a lot of configuration options such as the proper corporate SSIDs, tunneling features, and integration with Cisco NACs, or other third-party NACs.

The stability of the solution is good.

The technical support has been helpful.

What needs improvement?

The third-party integration capabilities could be better. It still works within Cisco-related products, however, third-party integration is still something that needs some relaxing.

The new licensing model isn't as good as what they had before.

I've been dealing with the solution for more than a decade. It's been 10 or 11 years at this point.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

It can scale into whatever level I want to go to. The actual wireless is quite scalable. Scalability is not any trouble.

I've been satisfied with technical support. They are helpful and responsive.

I've also used Aruba. I actually prefer Aruba to Cisco.

The solution has a moderate level of complexity when it comes to the initial setup. It's not too difficult. However, it's not as straightforward as one would hope, either.

Depending on what type of network the customer wants, the deployment time varies. It can be either one SSID or a proper BYOD case with a corporate SSID, depending on the solution.

With the new licensing model, the DNA licensing model, it's a bit on the expensive side. It used to have an option for the perpetual and subscription-based models, however, now they've started pushing you to the subscription models.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a Cisco partner.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten. Overall, we've been happy with the capabilities of the product.

That said, if I had to choose between Cisco and Aruba, I'd probably choose Aruba.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CR
Telecom/Networking Analyst at a religious institution with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good coverage and security, and it's reliable

• "It's a reliable solution."
  • "In this part of the world, support is the weak side of this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Wireless as part of our network infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The wireless use is pure internet that allows access to guests, staff, and end-users. It doesn't require a lot of high-level features on the site.

We use the normal features that Cisco has, such as access controllers, security, and internet access for the users.

What needs improvement?

I am in the Middle East, in Isreal, and the problem that we have is with the support. It's not like Europe or America, which have better support. In this part of the world, support is the weak side of this solution. It is very difficult to get in touch with Cisco support if we need them.

I would like to have the option for on-premises support, rather than only having remote support available. This the biggest concern that I have because without on-premises support, we have to call another country for the best service.

I have been using Cisco Wireless for two years.

It's a reliable solution.

It's scalable, and as the company grows each year, it requires the network to grow as well.

We have 100 access points and approximately 300 to 400 users in our organization.

There are only one or two companies in Israel that provide Cisco support as a third party. Support is an area that needs to be improved, at least regionally.

The installation was done by the company. It was already complete.

The price for this product is a little bit high, which is why I am not using the most recent version. Rather, I look for products there are mid-ranged, being not too old or too new.

The licensing fee is yearly.

I am currently evaluating other solutions to determine cost versus benefits. We don't need as many high-level features in our situation.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a large company and you have enough money, you should implement Cisco because it's the best solution. However, if you are in the middle to low range then it is better to look for another, more budget-friendly solution. In Isreal, the government has Cisco licenses.

Also, if the service that you are providing is not a high-level service and has normal features to access the internet, I suggest the middle to low range products.

Overall, I am happy with Cisco Wireless and the main concern that I have is with the price.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

DT
CEO at Dinet Systems Ltd
A wireless networking solution that's easy to install and control

• "The most important thing for me is that all the access points are in one group and use one access code. So, when you move from one area to another, you don't disconnect and reconnect again. The device is also very easy to install and control."
  • "It would be better if some utility lets us know the best place to install the system. Every time we install it, we have to change it, and we have to add more access points. This is a problem we have all the time. It would be better if it integrated seamlessly with products from other vendors. It'll also help if they included a device diagnostics feature in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

I implement this solution in restaurants with an external aerial or near the beach. I also deployed this solution in big warehouses.

How has it helped my organization?

Managing a large warehouse requires the use of advanced technology that facilitates work in the warehouse, usually through tablets, laptops, and mobile phones, all of which are connected to the management system via the wireless network. Mobility in a large warehouse requires continuous connection to the computer system.

The CISCO wireless network allows all end units to be managed as a single network with a security code. The transition from one access point to another is done smoothly and according to the intensity of absorption.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing for me is 0 disconnections while working, and that all access points are in one group and will use one access code. The units are easy to install and set up

What needs improvement?

Guidelines and recommendations on where and how to install the units for perfect coverage.

Any utility to test the signal strength. Today every time we install equipment, certain times are forced to change its location due to poor reception.

And seamlessly integrate with products from other suppliers. It will also help if they include a device diagnostic feature in the next release.

I have been dealing with Cisco Wireless for three or four years.

I have a problem with the small device. Product from Series 300. Sometimes you have to reset this device. Maybe the buffer is overflowing, But after I reset the devices, it's work okay.

I have used TP-Link Solution but the Devices hung every 1-2 days

The initial setup and deployment for small businesses are very simple. But for the one with the controller, you have to set up a controller which is not a GUI utility. You have to type a lot in the command line. If you have this with GUIs instead, it will be better. The deployment time depends on the size of the customer's project. This product doesn't require maintenance, just updates to the firmware.

I install this solution for my customers.

I think it's affordable. Maybe there are little differences, but it's not very expensive. But with all Cisco products, you have to pay more for the power supply. You'll have to pay for the PoE converter.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product to new users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Wireless a nine.

Aws Al-Dabbagh
IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Great mobility but a little outdated

• "The mobility that it provides is really helpful."
  • "It's end-of-life, it will be end-of-support in the next two years. The APs are also end-of-life."

What is most valuable?

The mobility that it provides is really helpful. It's one full network of about 15 APs and they're all connected together; the users can move seamlessly between them.

What needs improvement?

Overall, it's a pretty good solution; however, it's end-of-life, it will be end-of-support in the next two years. The APs are also end-of-life. I was considering upgrading this year, however, we're planning to move to a new office and I don't want to buy new equipment just to install it in our current office, and then have to dismantle everything and move it to the new office. We just want to buy something that is useful for us.

The model that we have is about eight or ten years old; I'm sure the marketplace has changed a lot since then. It's good but outdated, there are other features that could be better.

The latest models, of course, have better WiFi capabilities. Our access points support 2.4 and 5 GHz. We're looking for the new AX or AC models for WiFi. I believe there is more speed with those kinds of connections.

I have been using Cisco Wireless for about three years.

It's stable. It's working fine. There are some issues regarding moving the equipment. Otherwise, every three months or so we have an AP that hangs and we just restart it, that's it. Otherwise, everything's working fine.

We haven't contacted support from Cisco.

We have some other access points, but they are normal, standard APs. For our branch office, we use fat APs, just normal wireless outlets from off-the-shelf, like D-Link and so on.

I haven't set them up myself. There was an IT team before I started administering this network and they set up everything before me. I just received the network as it is. I just added the APs and moved them from one area to another.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Wireless is good. On a scale from one to ten, I would give them a rating of seven, although to give a more accurate rating, I would need to experience something else to compare it to. I'm considering sticking with Cisco, unless I find other models that can give better performance. Cisco has a few types of models: the standard Cisco, the normal Cisco, and the Meraki one. I'm not sure if Meraki would be a better solution for us, or if the standard Cisco Wireless controller would be better. That's why I went to your website — to find other solutions and read comparisons about them.

Luis Adrián Acurio
Telecommunications Specialistde Telecomunicaciones at Telalca
Overall high quality, great customer service, and simple installation

• "The ability to make different types of networks, such as land networks, is the most valuable part of the solution."
  • "There are some areas of improvement needed in roaming and streaming."

What is our primary use case?

Some of my clients have used this product as a Mobility Express Solution and a Mobility Controller. There are numerous potential use cases for this product.

What is most valuable?

The ability to make different types of networks, such as land networks, is the most valuable part of the solution.

What needs improvement?

There are some areas of improvement in roaming and streaming.

In the next release, I would like to see VPN features and the client match feature available in Aruba Wireless. Additionally, I would like a feature to see where a particular client is during roaming and the information about a client should be shared better throughout their connection activity.

I have been using the solution for approximately four years.

The stability is very good.

The solution is scalable. It is great because if you have an enterprise, you can deploy the solutions with the network controllers physically or with the Mobility Express you can make a cluster without the controller. We have 20 to 30 clients and at our main office, we have 200 employees which use the solution wirelessly.

The technical support is great, I never had any problem with them. When I needed support or to make a ticket they always responded to me.

My clients, and I, have used Ruckus networks previously. My clients wanted to move to Cisco because they know the value Cisco offers and are thinking of implement some IoT solutions in the future, they wanted top quality. Later they also found Cisco is a little bit easier to implement.

I did not have any problems doing the installation. I had enough step by step information from Cisco to follow and with the troubleshooting.

It took me approximately three months to deploy the solution, but this involved going to different parts of Ecuador to fully implement it. The deployment took two engineers to put the AP physically into place.

The price is a little high. However, you get what you pay for. The quality of the product is high, you will find it is worth the money. There is some additional cost, for example, customer support.

I have evaluated Aruba Wireless in the past, they had some features Cisco does not that were useful.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product because it is easy to implement, and it has good performance with utilities that are needed within the office.

I rate Cisco Wireless a nine out of ten.

YA
Network Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Very stable with good technical support and a straightforward setup

• "The installation process is very easy."
  • "If they could offer better coverage, we'd be much happier."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for so many things. We are a Saudi customs organization, and we are using it for the mobile user inside the port and for the trucks themselves. We use it for the trucks as the trucks also need to use wireless. They're moving inside the port. We need it for providing internet to the user. We also use it for the intranet network and for the internet network.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable.

The installation process is very easy.

Technical support has been mostly helpful in the past.

What needs improvement?

The coverage has given us a few issues. We have some of the wireless devices flooding. The scalability is off. It needs to be better. If they could offer better coverage, we'd be much happier.

I've been using the solution for about 15 years at this point. It's been well over a decade. It's been a while.

The solution has been quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is largely pretty good.

The scalability isn't the best. It doesn't give us the coverage we need. There isn't good mapping for the wireless and the access points.

We have about 600 people who are using our access points.

We likely will be increasing usage in the future.

We've been in touch with technical support. They're okay. We've been satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's an easy process. It's not overly complex. A company should be able to handle the process with relative ease.

The deployment takes only a few minutes. It's pretty fast. It's not that big of a project.

We have about 40 people on staff that can handle deployment and maintenance.

We do not need to pay a licensing fee to Cisco.

We've previously used Huawei and Aruba as well for wireless.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Cisco.

We're using the latest version of the solution right now.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations looking for a wireless solution. For the most part, it's worked well for us.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten as it's been mostly reliable.

WL
Solution Manager, Network at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Simple and easy to configure but quite pricey

• "It's very easy to configure the access points."
  • "The reporting of the product could be improved. When I needed to troubleshoot, I couldn't get sufficient information from the controller."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for wireless services. We use it for wireless LAN.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity is the solution's most valuable aspect.

It's very easy to configure the access points.

The solution is scalable.

The solution is stable.

The initial implementation is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The pricing is a bit high. It could be less expensive. If they could work to lessen the cost, it would be helpful.

The reporting of the product could be improved. When I needed to troubleshoot, I couldn't get sufficient information from the controller.

It would be useful if they could add in features like AI for easier troubleshooting.

I used this product at my previous company. It's been seven or eight years. However, I do not work there anymore.

After using it for eight years, I can vouch for its stability. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable in terms of performance.

The scalability is okay. It's more or less affected by the infrastructure design as it is based on coverage. When we need to expand coverage, we will have to just add more.

Technical support was okay in general. However, I had one negative experience doing a proof of concept with Cisco Malaysia for a Cisco ISE product. Their engineer wasn't a master of the product. It seemed the help they gave to us wasn't that knowledgeable.

I also have experience with Aruba and Ruckus.

The initial setup wasn't overly complex or difficult. It was pretty straightforward. Back then we were using the Cisco Network as well - both wired and wireless. The configuration was quite simple.

The cost of the product is rather high. It's one of the downsides.

What other advice do I have?

We're were just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Cisco at this time.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if it was more reasonable in terms of pricing and if the reporting was better.

If a company would like to implement this product, they must make sure the pricing doesn't bother them and that they buy enough devices in order to ensure proper coverage for their needs.

Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Cisco Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.