PK
Information Technology Executive
A long-lived and reliable product with good support

• "This product has a long life and you don't have any issues with it."
  • "There needs to be an access point that is compact and more suitable for small and medium-sized businesses."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Cisco wireless for more than five years.

What is most valuable?

This product has a long life and you don't have any issues with it.

We are very comfortable with the access points and Wi-Fi connectivity.

What needs improvement?

We need an access point that can be easily managed in a big industry. As it is now, in a large organization, we would require perhaps 20 or 30 access points. Instead of this, if we had a high-range access point that is also cost-effective then it would work well.

We have been using Cisco Wireless for five years. The model that we are using is now at end-of-life and we no longer have support from Cisco.

Stability-wise, this is a good solution and the majority of people in the industry prefer Cisco and Aruba devices.

This is a scalable product.

In general, Cisco's technical support is very good. They will replace hardware if needed. However, based on the locality, the support may need improvement.

If you have knowledge of Cisco solutions then the initial setup is easy. However, if you don't have the knowledge then it's very difficult and you need to ask for support from a third-party.

The deployment will take a week.

Some of our customers use Cisco Wireless, whereas others use Aruba. It is normally an issue of the quality of the local support team. People prefer the support of one vendor over another, which differs depending on the locale.

What other advice do I have?

If anybody asks me, I would recommend a Cisco device. When you consider all of the LAN and wireless features, everything is good. Cisco is now customizing products based on customer requirements, and they are also cost-effective.

VK
Network Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, high scalability, and handles thousands of connection simultaneously

• "We are using Cisco access point 2802, and they are very reliable."
  • "The stability could improve, there are some issues. We were told the version of the software we are using on all of the controllers is best for Cisco IOS, but we might need to update our software, this might fix the stability issues we are experiencing."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for a corporate Wi-Fi network and we have another network for authentication for corporate devices, such as scales or hand scanners. These devices must have access to some internal resources and do not need accessing to the internet.

We have hardware controllers on our sites and a number of access points all over. The number is up to 25 currently.

What is most valuable?

We are using Cisco access point 2802, and they are very reliable. We have a number of those access points all over our network, approximately 550. I have been working with this company for about a year and the project was deployed a year before. The access points have been working now for two years without one failure.

What needs improvement?

In general, the solution completely meets our needs. However, the wireless controllers themselves could be more reliable. When they work in high availability mode, we have had some issues with them. Sometimes the cluster dissipates, the primary controller fails and the secondary does not completely switch on reducing functionality.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

The stability could improve, there are some issues. We were told the version of the software we are using on all of the controllers is best for Cisco IOS, but we might need to update our software. Doing so might fix the stability issues we are experiencing.

The solution is scalable. There are approximately 3,000 users using the solution simultaneously in the supermarket network and it can scale upwards to 100,000.

We have a partner that helps us with the solution's deployment and maintenance. In general,  we have three technicians that help with the solution but if we run into more complex situations we contact Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the Wireless Controller 3504 on Wi-Fi 5.

If they work on fixing the reliability of the solution we will be fine using the product in the future.

I rate Cisco Wireless an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2021.
554,586 professionals have used our research since 2012.
US
Senior Manager, Information Technology at a university with 201-500 employees
Easy to use and easy to deploy with good performance

• "The product offers educational licenses that are priced very reasonably."
  • "The solution could be more stable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for networking; networking - for WiFi coverage. We don't use it for anything else.

What is most valuable?

So far, overall, it's been good.

The solution has been stable. The performance is good.

We find it easy to use.

The product offers educational licenses that are priced very reasonably.

The installation process is very easy. It's quick to deploy and you can do it in less than a day.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more stable.

We've been using the solution for more than one year.

The performance of Cisco is very good. It's a stable product for the most part. That said, there is always room for improvement.

The solution seems to be scalable and meets our needs. We have about 150 people using the product in our organization.

Technical support from Cisco is great. they are helpful and responsive and we are very satisfied with the level of support they offer.

We used to use HP. We've used them for over ten years and we are still using them.

We have found the implementation to be simple and straightforward. It's not difficult or complex. It may take up to a day to deploy, however, usually, it takes less than that. the deployment is very fast.

You only need one person (or at a maximum, two) to handle deployment and maintenance. We have systems engineers that handle it.

We use the product under an educational license, and therefore, we find the solution to be reasonably priced.

What other advice do I have?

While I cannot recall the exact version number we are on, we are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Luiz Kazan
Digital Solutions Arquitect - PaaS at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Centralized controls, integration, and provides additional device configuration

• "We were able to utilize the elements of the core and provide a solution to our customers similar to that of Cisco Meraki."
  • "The main problem that traditional solutions like this one have is that you need to buy packages to deliver a similar solution as a Meraki one."

What is our primary use case?

Before Cisco bought Meraki, we used internal private clouds and offer them to all our customers about five years ago. We wanted a solution that has a centralized core in order to have control, instead of having to install controllers in each customer that you have. We were able to utilize the elements of the core and provide a solution to our customers similar to that of Cisco Meraki. Once the customer's contracts ended, we changed the solution to Aruba or Cisco Meraki.

What is most valuable?

If you think back five years ago, the radios and MIMOs worked better than the other solutions that you had. For now, the Catalyst line has more capabilities to deliver more conductivity for customers for each access point. You can integrate a lot of available solutions on the core to have more enhanced information and allowing businesses to have more control. In distribution centers and in factories it is better to use this solution than Meraki systems because you have more control over the setup and information that you can achieve on those older radios.

What needs improvement?

The main problem that traditional solutions like this one have is that you need to buy packages to deliver a similar solution as a Meraki one. If there was a package that you can buy and have all control features similar to the Meraki dashboard, such as user access control. We can sell this solution more easily if you have those packages available. I do not know if it is a sale strategy for Cisco to limit the functionality.

I have previously used and I am still using the IAP model solution from Aruba. This is a solution that can merge different features. For example, we can control the access points locally and there is a cloud platform to manage everything with Meraki that you do not have in traditional Cisco solutions like this one.

I have evaluated the Cisco Catalyst line solutions in the past.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco Wireless a nine out of ten.

Pawel Gawronski
Enterprise Architect at RB
Good connectivity and cross-customization make it user friendly and accessible

• "Good connectivity and easy to configure."
  • "Controllers could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Cisco and I'm an enterprise architect.

What is most valuable?

I like the connectivity of this solution. We have a pretty good team working on the product. They are quick and the solution is fairly easy to configure. Customization is not a problem because all products can be customized or cross-customized.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the controllers of the solution. I would ideally like to have software defined WiFi as an additional feature, everything connected with LVMs, so basically to define networking; ADPs which would define the perimeter and a combination of PSDN and WAN, etc. I would also like to see the use of the PE market and functions. Authentication and authorization processes for guest users would also be a good additional feature.

I've been working with Cisco for over five years.

This solution is extremely scalable. If we're talking about any solution that has a cloud-based infrastructure, I assume it's scalable and as a network architect I don't need to worry. If the solution is on-prem, like we have now, I have to worry about a potentially slow infrastructure, network, interfaces, capacity. On cloud, the only concern is internet connectivity. We have over 30,000 employees and they are all end users.

We use a third-party company that we cooperate with for our technical support, WiFi and for our network.

In general, the setup is quite straightforward although with our factory site configuration, it was more complex. The setup took some time as we're a website company so everything here takes time! It's not a one day implementation, probably closer to a week for the end-to-end installation.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

JC
Principal Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good architecture and has improved antennas

• "Cisco's technical support is very good, I've never had an issue with their technical support."
  • "The licensing models need to be reviewed in some instances. Obviously Cisco's licensing models are quite challenging, and it can be costly."

What is most valuable?

Cisco Wireless has improved in terms of the Tri-Band and the Two-Band, those types of two antennas. We've been happy with the architecture and the solution for some time.

What needs improvement?

Obviously there are new requirements around WPA-3 and Wi-Fi 6, more wireless assurance, and those types of things. So we're looking at all of those options in terms of their next product suite.

I'm not a wireless engineer but we've had Cisco Wireless at the company for a long time, about 20 odd years. We're now looking at replacing the Wireless architecture.

Cisco Wireless is stable.

From a scalability point of view, there is a cost component which needs to be looked at and reviewed, but from a technical scalability point of view I think it ticks all the boxes.

Cisco has several pricing models. I think things have gotten more expensive due to the economic climate around COVID and things like that for most vendors now.

Everybody is price-sensitive. I'm just the partner, so I'm looking at the solutions for the client. I'm not the customer. The customer, obviously, would say cheap is better and because a lot of people are price sensitive now they're trying to get as much value as they can at a good price.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a wireless expert, but we've been running Cisco Wireless for a long time. On a scale of one to ten, I would definitely give them an eight.

I think the licensing models need to be reviewed in some instances. Obviously Cisco's licensing models are quite challenging, and it can be costly. Those are the two things to check.

Ali Liaqat
Executive at FFC
Scales well, stable and is easy to use, but installation could be simplified

• "Cisco Wireless is easy to use."
  • "It should be fully compatible with other devices."

What is most valuable?

Cisco Wireless is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Because my wireless controller is not fully compatible with the latest AC and AX compatible devices, we have been experiencing some issues with the wireless controller as technology evolves. We have plans to replace it. Previously it was working fine, but now we have faced several issues.

We will tweak them until we find a good solution. Let's see where this goes in the future.

It should be fully compatible with other devices.

I have been working with Cisco Wireless for ten years.

We have not experienced any issue with the stability of Cisco Wireless.

It is scalable enough. We have a 13-story high-rise building, and I have two wireless controllers to serve the entire structure.

We can easily scale it up. We currently have 50 access points, but I can scale it up to 60 or 70 if necessary.

Cisco Wireless is a scalable product.

This solution is used by 300 people.

We have not contacted technical support.

We plan to deploy Cisco SD-WAN in December.

We use Cisco WLC, and our entire VOQ is Cisco-based.

My core network, distribution network, and access network are all Cisco-based.

The installation was a bit complex.

It took me about a day to finish.

We were able to complete the installation ourselves.

There are no subscription fees.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Cisco Wireless a seven out of ten.

YA
Network Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to configure and use, and scales well to our requirements

• "I find this solution easy to configure and use."
  • "There should be an option for a wireless bridge that can be used to join two access points."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is providing network coverage to mobile devices in our company.

What is most valuable?

I find this solution easy to configure and use.

What needs improvement?

The coverage should be better.

Technical support takes too long and is something that should be improved.

It would be helpful if Cisco Wireless supported the Internet of Things (IoT).

I have been using Cisco Wireless for about five years.

This is a stable product.

Cisco Wireless is scalable, and we have more than 10,000 people on-premises who are connected to the cloud using it.

We have had problems with Cisco's technical support, so I would only rate them a five out of ten. They take too long to respond and also too long to resolve the issue.

We are also using Huawei wireless.

For somebody who knows about the configuration beforehand, the initial setup is easy. I can be set up an configured in half an hour.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on the environment and the requirements, as every place has its own circumstances. Generally, I recommend this product.

Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Cisco Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.