JC
Principal Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Good architecture and has improved antennas

• "Cisco's technical support is very good, I've never had an issue with their technical support."
  • "The licensing models need to be reviewed in some instances. Obviously Cisco's licensing models are quite challenging, and it can be costly."

What is most valuable?

Cisco Wireless has improved in terms of the Tri-Band and the Two-Band, those types of two antennas. We've been happy with the architecture and the solution for some time.

What needs improvement?

Obviously there are new requirements around WPA-3 and Wi-Fi 6, more wireless assurance, and those types of things. So we're looking at all of those options in terms of their next product suite.

I'm not a wireless engineer but we've had Cisco Wireless at the company for a long time, about 20 odd years. We're now looking at replacing the Wireless architecture.

Cisco Wireless is stable.

From a scalability point of view, there is a cost component which needs to be looked at and reviewed, but from a technical scalability point of view I think it ticks all the boxes.

Cisco has several pricing models. I think things have gotten more expensive due to the economic climate around COVID and things like that for most vendors now.

Everybody is price-sensitive. I'm just the partner, so I'm looking at the solutions for the client. I'm not the customer. The customer, obviously, would say cheap is better and because a lot of people are price sensitive now they're trying to get as much value as they can at a good price.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not a wireless expert, but we've been running Cisco Wireless for a long time. On a scale of one to ten, I would definitely give them an eight.

I think the licensing models need to be reviewed in some instances. Obviously Cisco's licensing models are quite challenging, and it can be costly. Those are the two things to check.

YA
Network Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to configure and use, and scales well to our requirements

• "I find this solution easy to configure and use."
  • "There should be an option for a wireless bridge that can be used to join two access points."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is providing network coverage to mobile devices in our company.

What is most valuable?

I find this solution easy to configure and use.

What needs improvement?

The coverage should be better.

Technical support takes too long and is something that should be improved.

It would be helpful if Cisco Wireless supported the Internet of Things (IoT).

I have been using Cisco Wireless for about five years.

This is a stable product.

Cisco Wireless is scalable, and we have more than 10,000 people on-premises who are connected to the cloud using it.

We have had problems with Cisco's technical support, so I would only rate them a five out of ten. They take too long to respond and also too long to resolve the issue.

We are also using Huawei wireless.

For somebody who knows about the configuration beforehand, the initial setup is easy. I can be set up an configured in half an hour.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on the environment and the requirements, as every place has its own circumstances. Generally, I recommend this product.

Learn what your peers think about Cisco Wireless. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,029 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AR
VP of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good support, and it integrates well with Cisco ISE

What is our primary use case?

We are in the finance sector and we use this product to provide wireless connectivity access to our web application.

What is most valuable?

The integration with Cisco ISE is good, and together we use them to provide services.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to have support for Wi-Fi 6.

I have been using Cisco Wireless for more than 10 years.

This is a stable product.

The solution is scalable. In our organization, we have more than 120 users. Our customers have more than 1,000 users.

The technical support from Cisco is…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to have support for Wi-Fi 6.

I have been using Cisco Wireless for more than 10 years.

This is a stable product.

The technical support from Cisco is very good.

The installation is user-friendly. The length of time required for deployment depends on the quantity. If you have less than ten then it will take no more than between three and five hours to complete. If we have enough engineers then each access point will only take one hour.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and maintenance. The number of people required to deploy depends on the size of the installation.

Cisco Wireless is a little bit expensive when compared to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Manideep Paul
Senior Technical Consultant at BT - British Telecom
Reseller
Great stability and scalability; lacks sufficient security features

• "Stable and scalable with good technical support."
  • "Requires a firewall body to improve security."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior technical consultant and we are service providers.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Wireless is scalable and very stable. They offer good technical support.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to have better voice security. What they offer now is not good enough to protect us from an attack or a hacker. The solution requires a firewall body inside a wireless controller so that we can define a few more things and prevent attacks.

I've been using this product for 12 years.

The stability of this product is good.

Scalability is good with Cisco Wireless - we have close to 500 users at just one of our sites and no problems.

Technical support could be improved but it's fair and they do a reasonably good job supporting us when we have issues.

All solutions in this market are more or less the same, it's just that Cisco is less cost-effective which is why we're currently testing HP. I've also worked on Aruba Access Points and HP switching systems and find them easier to configure and manage, while still providing good performance.

What other advice do I have?

People need to be aware that everything is going wireless in the next couple of years and it's a good idea to move to wireless now so that there's a familiarity with how it all works.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

GV
ICT Diensthoofd - Head of ICT at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable wireless networking solution with good capacity and security

• "The capacity, security, downloading, and exporting data are all very good. It's user-friendly, but if I look at Meraki versus normal Cisco equipment, then I think that Meraki will be much more user-friendly."
  • "The price could be better. The configuration is also complex. It would be better if there's an NEC solution. That's one of the things we really want to have. It should also be as fast as possible."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all kinds of equipment including, laptops, mobile devices, and guest access. We are just using the basic features and just the wireless connection.

How has it helped my organization?

If I take it away, that would be a nightmare because we have a lot of devices working through wireless.

What is most valuable?

The capacity, security, downloading, and exporting data are all very good. It's user-friendly, but if I look at Meraki versus normal Cisco equipment, then I think that Meraki will be much more user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. The configuration is also complex. It would be better if there's an NEC solution. That's one of the things we really want to have. It should also be as fast as possible.

I have been using Cisco Wireless for a couple of years.

It's stable, but it's expensive.

We got in touch with technical support once, and that was good.

The initial setup is complex. We currently have a complex configuration.

It's expensive. The pricing is an obstacle.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise new users not to underestimate the complexity of the configuration.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Wireless an eight.

Private Cloud
MO
Technical Support Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Highly reliable, stable, scalable and easy install documentation

What is our primary use case?

Our main customer of the Cisco wireless is in the retail sector, for example, Walmart.

What is most valuable?

The customer always feels confident with the solution because of its reliability.

What needs improvement?

In the future, it would be great if the solution had a GPS feature that could have the ability through access points to locate cell phone users inside a local wireless network, for example in a stadium.

I have been using the solution for approximately twenty years.

The stability is very good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for approximately twenty years.

The stability is very good.

We have never had an issue with scalability with this product. Our customers are medium to large size organizations. We have found that small businesses discontinue using the solution more often than larger companies who tend to remains using it.

The support has been good for us.

The initial setup was easy, the documentation is good.

The deployment can take one day if the network is small but if it is a larger network it could take a while longer. When we have issues with security the process becomes more complex, taking more time.

The product could be priced better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend before implementation, administrators must know the exact number of users.

I rate Cisco Wireless a ten out of ten.

JO
Network Support Engineer at a government with 201-500 employees
Good performance, stable, scalable, and easy to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to connect to the access point and link users wirelessly to the network, and centrally manage the APs.

What is most valuable?

The performance is fantastic. It integrates with Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA).

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be reduced.

I have been using Cisco Wireless for five years.

Cisco Wireless is a stable product.

Cisco Wireless is scalable. We have many users. We have guests that come in who have contractors, which brings our user amount to approximately 5,000.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The performance is fantastic.

It integrates with Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA).

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be reduced.

I have been using Cisco Wireless for five years.

Cisco Wireless is a stable product.

Previously, we have not used any other solutions.

The deployment is easy. The installation takes two or three days.

When you compare it toith standalone APs, with the introduction of the controllers, it's deployed in a split second and up and running.

Because it is integrated with Cisco ASA, we have two teams of eight people to maintain this solution.

We installed and deployed this solution ourselves.

It's expensive. The price could be cheaper.

The license is a one-time purchase.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Cisco Wireless an eight out of ten.

SD
Network Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, beneficial FlexConnect, and, good overall functionality

• "Some of the features I find valuable are the FlexConnect and overall it is a good global solution."
  • "Before deploying a wireless solution, you have to read and plan every role, every windows system, put in your access point, and then make the audit. This solution is not the best one to do this. We use another solution that is called Eko. In the future, if this solution could have better auditing capabilities it would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for laptops, smartphones, and for both intranet and internet communication.

What is most valuable?

Some of the features I find valuable are the FlexConnect and overall it is a good global solution.

What needs improvement?

Before deploying a wireless solution, you have to read and plan every role, every windows system, put in your access point, and then make the audit. This solution is not the best one to do this. We use another solution that is called Eko. In the future, if this solution could have better auditing capabilities it would be better.

I have been using the solution for eight years.

The solution is stable.

We have added some access points for conductivity which have integrated well and have been fine scalability-wise, we have not done other types of scaling. Our whole company is using this solution.

You can have a setup that is simple but my company is big, with a lot of regulations to adhere to. I would say out we had a difficult installation but this is not directly related to the solution but more related to the policy of our company.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend others to use this solution.

I rate Cisco Wireless an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Wireless LAN
Download our free Cisco Wireless Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.