Citrix ADC OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix ADC is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Application Delivery Controllers. It is most often compared to F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM): Citrix ADC vs F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM)

What is Citrix ADC?

Citrix ADC is an application delivery controller (ADC) that accelerates application performance, enhances application availability with advanced L4-7 load balancing, secures mission-critical apps from attacks and lowers server expenses by offloading computationally intensive tasks.

Citrix ADC is also known as NetScaler, Citrix NetScaler VPX.

Citrix ADC Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix ADC Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Citrix ADC Customers

ABB Schweiz, Aer Lingus, AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Amnet Technology Solutions, Aramex International, Ascenty, Atos, Autodesk

Citrix ADC Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Citrix ADC pricing:
  • "It is very pricey, but we get it. If you need the best, money shouldn't be a problem."
  • "It's an expensive product but it works well."
  • "The licensing costs for this solution vary depending on which model is being used."
  • "We get value for money. Its price is fair. I don't think it is overpriced."
  • "This product is more expensive than some of the competitors."

Citrix ADC Reviews

RB
System Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable and versatile solution that allows us to easily monitor and manage applications and publish to many devices

• "Citrix Director has been great. It gives us one pane of glass to be able to monitor what's going on with the user sessions as well as to keep on top of the virtual desktops, any servers that may be offline or behaving suspiciously, or any troublesome spots like disconnections. We also use Citrix Studio for maintaining the actual servers that are hosting these applications. We use it for delivery groups in case we need to modify delivery groups in regards to which groups have access to which applications. It has been very helpful."
  • "We are looking for some in-depth monitoring and analytics and more information that Citrix Director doesn't provide. ControlUp has insights that not only give you an overview but also allow you to do some drill-down troubleshooting for what's going on in your environment. We are looking for some more analytical and monitoring data to be able to monitor the environment better, not only from an application standpoint but also from the standpoint of the infrastructure to everything it sits on. They can provide more data to the administrators about what's going on within the application. They can provide data not only on the application side but also about what the application sits on. They're making strides with Citrix Analytics in regards to that."

What is our primary use case?

We are just publishing applications. We have some clients who need access to these. So, we're hosting the applications for clients. We're also publishing VDIs and using it for processing VDIs.

What is most valuable?

Citrix Director has been great. It gives us one pane of glass to be able to monitor what's going on with the user sessions as well as to keep on top of the virtual desktops, any servers that may be offline or behaving suspiciously, or any troublesome spots like disconnections.

We also use Citrix Studio for maintaining the actual servers that are hosting these applications. We use it for delivery groups in case we need to modify delivery groups in regards to which groups have access to which applications. It has been very helpful.

What needs improvement?

We are looking for some in-depth monitoring and analytics and more information that Citrix Director doesn't provide. ControlUp has insights that not only give you an overview but also allow you to do some drill-down troubleshooting for what's going on in your environment. We are looking for some more analytical and monitoring data to be able to monitor the environment better, not only from an application standpoint but also from the standpoint of the infrastructure to everything it sits on. They can provide more data to the administrators about what's going on within the application. They can provide data not only on the application side but also about what the application sits on. They're making strides with Citrix Analytics in regards to that.

My team has been using it for at least four to five years, and I just joined this team.

It has been pretty stable. The only thing that we've ever experienced is when someone is installing a bad patch or something like that. That has usually been a user error. It wasn't the product; it was the person implementing the patch.

It is very scalable. That's another reason why our company went with Citrix. It is very scalable and versatile. If you are trying to provide to a group that doesn't necessarily need a full-fledged desktop, you can just publish out whatever application is needed. A lot of groups are very appreciative of that. A lot of groups just want to be able to get to the applications they need to do their work. They don't really want to be bogged down with a full-fledged desktop if they just need one application. Citrix gives you the capability to just do that.

You could publish it to many devices. It doesn't have to be a specific desktop. It could be a tablet as long as a person has access to the internet. You're publishing it into a portal where they can just get to that application from anywhere as long as they have maybe an RSA token, Duo, or some type of security authentication and their phone. We have users who are impressed by the fact that they can get to it. As long as they have their Citrix workspace client on their phone, they can get to wherever they need. It is very versatile in delivery.

Right now, we have about 5,000 to 6,000 onshore and offshore users. Our environment supports healthcare, so we need the ability to deliver to those users who may be working within a hospital. As long as they have an internet connection and a browser, they can access our applications. It has been a very valuable tool that allows us to present that outside our environment.

We've had to use them on occasions, and they've been very on point for the initial triaging as well as for the follow-ups. I would rate them an eight or nine out of ten. It was maybe after hours, and it took some time to get to the right engineering team for the issue. It wasn't like we were just waiting on them. It was just getting us over to the right team for a specific issue. After we actually got on the phone with an engineer, they've always been very helpful in getting the issue resolved.

It is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just go through and look at the requirements and the needs of the people you're supporting. I will always recommend doing a POC, just to make sure that the product that you're inquiring about or thinking about purchasing does what it says it does because you don't want to be oversold something and it under-delivers. I will always recommend doing some type of POC to test everything out. If it is in your budget, then I would say go with it.

It has improved the way our organization functions. I have been very impressed with the direction in which Citrix is going. I got introduced to Workspace last year, and I attended the virtual SYNERGY conference. It was very impressive to see so many upcoming things that Citrix is working on. I noticed that VMware also has its version of Workspace, so I guess that's the new hot terminology to use. The Citrix solution is called Workspace, and the VMware solution is called Workspace ONE.

I would rate Citrix ADC a nine out of ten. There's always room for improvement for any application. That's why they have different versions or a series of applications.

Michael Ewhe
Enterprise Server and Storage Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
A flexible, agile, and robust solution with easy implementation

• "Its flexibility, agility, and robustness are the most valuable. Its management and implementation are also quite easy."
  • "Citrix ADC can be really complex. It isn't very simple like some other appliances that I've worked with. You need a lot of skill and experience to manage it. I'm not talking about a year or two. You need at least four years to understand it very well. It is not that easy to learn. They should make it a lot simpler for users to understand the management of it. They can also provide some additional training. The material they have on the site is not sufficient enough for you to understand how to manage it. Their training is expensive, and not everyone has the funds and experience for it. Citrix isn't very popular around these parts of the world. So, it can use some more marketing, sales, enlightenment, and advertisement. These could bring more market for them. Basically, there are just a few companies that really go for Citrix. Most of the companies go for VMware because they marketed themselves more than Citrix. There isn't much difference between Citrix and VMware. VMware is a little more robust than Citrix. Citrix has focused more on desktops rather than server virtualization, and that's the advantage VMware has over Citrix. Citrix also needs to educate and inform users about the infrastructure that is supported with a version. Currently, if the customers don't look at the datasheet, they might miss this important information."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use it for money transactions, important call centers, and cash centers.

What is most valuable?

Its flexibility, agility, and robustness are the most valuable. Its management and implementation are also quite easy.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for four years.

If you don't go and search for information in the datasheet and confirm which infrastructure is compatible with Citrix, it might blow up in your face. Citrix needs to work on this. They need to educate more and put more data to inform that not all infrastructure can go with this version of Citrix.

It is highly scalable. We have 1,000 users currently, and we have plans to increase its usage.

I am not sure if we have technical support from Citrix. If your version is out of date, you do not get any support from Citrix, even if you've been a loyal customer for a decade. That's a loophole, and there is no grace period for their licenses once they're expired. They should work on that and at least give you a grace period of 90 days or 60 days prior to renewing your licenses with them. We had some problems not long ago and needed their support, but because of the version we were running back then, they denied any support, and we ran into some productivity problems and service downtime as a whole.

For me, it is easy, but other people might see it as complex.

It is very pricey, but we get it. If you need the best, money shouldn't be a problem.

What other advice do I have?

You need to understand the infrastructure first before delving into it. If you don't have proper knowledge about it, you might run into problems while managing it. Not everyone has the skill to manage Citrix ADC. So, I advise everyone to get proper training and education before implementing it. It is very important.

I would rate Citrix ADC a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Citrix ADC. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,984 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Eseoghene Charles-Adeoye
Head, Network Design at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to manage with good load balancing and fair pricing

• "The solution is easy to work with and manage."
  • "The solution should be able to scale more effectively than it does."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for load balancing and SSL offloading. It's mostly for load balancing, however, occasionally we use it for the SSL offloading and content switching.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing on the solution is excellent.

The fact that you can do content switching is very useful.

The pricing is pretty good.

The solution is easy to work with and manage.

It's cloud-ready and we can manage it both on-premises and on the cloud if we need to.

What needs improvement?

The multi-tenancy isn't ideal.

The solution should be able to scale more effectively than it does.

Technical support could be improved upon.

Recently, we tried to configure AAA authentification and we ran into some issues using the web-based GUI. When you are on the console it works, however, when you're on the web-based version when you log in with your AAA credentials, it's very very slow. That is something that we're beginning to see and something they need to address.

We've been using the solution for over six years at this point.

The stability is okay. We haven't dealt with any bugs at all.

A big requirement for us is to be able to scale for multi-tenancy, and this solution doesn't really provide for that. We're looking into another model that might be able to help us handle this.

The technical support is okay. However, they could still improve their services.

I've worked with F5 and found it hard to work with and manage, in comparison to Citrix.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. I wouldn't say that it was tedious due to the fact that the vendor who we got to assist us already had experience in deployment. They made it pretty easy. After the POC it was simple to deploy into the production environment.

We have less than 20 engineers that are working with and maintaining the product.

Our vendor helped us deploy the solution. They made the process pretty efficient and we were satisfied with eh results.

The solution offers quite good value for money. For the amount you pay, you get a fairly robust product.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers.

I would recommend this solution to other organizations as it's quite easy to use. There's so much that you can do, compared to F5, for example. With F5, you have to do a lot of tweaking to be able to achieve certain things.

With Citrix, due to the infrastructure, we run very very easily. We run on ECA infrastructure and it's a great thing. It's very very straightforward. With F5, it's not as good.

That said, it has some flaws that need to be corrected.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate it at an 8.

MB
Principal IT Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Numerous bugs so there is some instability; tech support could be improved

• "It is a complete solution for those looking for an all-in-one."
  • "Too many bugs in the software and it's always difficult when you need to update."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for the different local LANs and for exchange, a local LAN SharePoint, a local LAN for web applications and for different RDP, remote desktop publishing solutions, a local LAN for intranet, web applications, internal web applications, etc. and for all command switching and full VPN gateway for Citrix and for apps and desktops. We deal with enterprise companies, so around 5,000 users. I'm the Senior Principal IT Consultant in our organization.

What is most valuable?

Citrix is a complete solution for those looking for an all-in-one. It's all there, the NetScaler gateway, remote access, internet access, optimization, load balancing, you have Citrix desktop publishing and VDAs. You can create a complete solution with Citrix. That's a good thing. If you have to troubleshoot something there's no problem like you would have if you were working between different solutions. If you're dealing with different manufacturers, there's always a problem with troubleshooting - nobody wants to take responsibility.

What needs improvement?

The solution has too many bugs in the software and it's always difficult when you need to update. If you have bugs in one firmware and you fix them and then update, sometimes it doesn't work in the correct way. Even when there are new feature releases, the problems are not always solved. Instability is an issue. The product also offers a lot of features that are not necessary, you don't need them.

Bug fixing is a problem in this solution and they should consider focusing on that in any future release.

I've been using this solution for over 10 years.

The solution is somewhat lacking in stability.

Scalability of the solution is fine.

Technical support could be better. Response is good but when I open a ticket at Citrix because I have a problem, it's not because I want to check a simple configuration task on a support line, I want a solution.

I worked for a long time with F5. I've only worked with Microsoft and Cisco solutions. We're currently checking other options for a new customer.

Initial setup is straightforward, deployment time really depends on the environment of the customer.

I think the price is okay.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone wants to implement this solution, it's important to be clear about your use case in order to grow with the product. Functionality always depends on the underlying networking. If there is trouble in the underlying networking, then you'll always have problems with NetScaler.

I would rate this product a three out of 10.

Private Cloud
FZ
Senior Server Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A flexible product with a good VPN and easy-to-use load balancing capabilities

• "I find all of it to be valuable, because of the flexibility that is built into this product."
  • "There are certain features that are very useful and Citrix makes you pay a bit more for them."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Citrix ADC as a VPN appliance, and use it as a load balancer for a few different services.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a custom application that we use, and we were able to port it over from a legacy system into the ADC.

What is most valuable?

I find all of it to be valuable, because of the flexibility that is built into this product.

If we need an on-premises load balancer, it's easy enough to spin those up here an there and the VPN seems to be pretty solid as well.

What needs improvement?

The licensing model that Citrix employs need to be improved. There are specific features that we like but are not available at our licensing level.

There are certain features that are very useful and Citrix makes you pay a bit more for them. I think that they should be included as default features.

In the next release, I would like to have the ability to inspect the SSL payload. It should be included by default.

I have been using Citrix ADC for almost a year.

It's a stable product and I haven't found any issues with it. It's been working well for us this entire time.

Scalability is not really applicable in our case. We have moved towards the cloud.

I don't believe that we plan to scale on-premises any further.

We have approximately 500 users in the company who are using this solution.

Technical support is good. We have reached out a couple of times and they were able to assist us quickly, even on the weekend.

I would rate technical support a nine out of ten.

It depends on who you get, there are some who want to redirect you to professional services. Once you get them on board, their service is good.

Previously, we used Juniper VPN. The hardware was older.

The initial setup was fairly complex. There is a bit of a learning curve.

We worked with professional services during our deployment.

It's an expensive product but it works well.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone who is looking at implementing Citrix ADC is if they need flexibility, it's a stable product. It's one of the better appliances that I have used, even in a virtual environment, it's working great. I can recommend it.

I would rate Citrix ADC a nine out of ten.

JH
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides good performance for our virtual apps and desktops

• "This solution increases the backend network service performance, which is one of the things that we like the most."
  • "Some of our customers have questioned the security of this solution lately, wondering whether it is safe or not, so enhancements in this respect would be good."

What is our primary use case?

We are using NetScaler VPX as a gateway for our virtual applications and desktops.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the securing of virtual apps and desktops.

What needs improvement?

Bugs in the software have had an impact on us. Better quality control or quality assurance would be an improvement.

Some of our customers have questioned the security of this solution lately, wondering whether it is safe or not, so enhancements in this respect would be good.

I have been using Citrix NetScaler VPX for seven or eight years.

Citrix NetScaler VPX is a very stable solution and it is used on a daily basis. Its use is quite crucial.

This is a scalable solution and it is easy to expand.

We have a variety of clients that range in size from small businesses to enterprise-level customers. Most of our clients are of medium size.

The technical support for this solution is pretty good.

Prior to this solution, we used F5 BIG-IP and the Azure Load Balancer.

The initial setup is simple. It takes 30 or 40 minutes to deploy.

I am a consultant and the person responsible for deploying this solution. Usually, one or two engineers are used during deployment.

The number of people required for maintenance depends on the scope of the project. I would say that two to three people are the average.

The licensing costs for this solution vary depending on which model is being used. It comes in many different sizes and models. I think that the cost of support, or maintenance, might be in addition to the standard feeds.

Our clients do evaluate other options and vendors such as F5, Cisco, Palo Alto, and Microsoft Azure before deciding on which solution to implement. People generally choose Citrix NetScaler because of the performance that it offers. Also, if they have other products by Citrix then it is generally a good idea to stay with the same vendor because of compatibility.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a solution that I recommend.

Eseoghene Charles-Adeoye
Head, Network Design at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
A robust and easy-to-use solution for load balancing and context switching

• "The load balancing feature and the fact that you can do context switching in the WAF are the most valuable. We majorly use it for load balancing, but we also use it for context switching in the WAF. It is also robust and very easy to work with and manage."
  • "They can improve the scalability and the multi-tenancy feature. We recently tried to configure an authentication, and we ran into some issues while using the web-based GUI. It was very slow when you log in with your credentials in the web-based GUI. Each time we clicked on the menu, it tried to do the authentication. It works properly in the console."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing feature and the fact that you can do context switching in the WAF are the most valuable. We majorly use it for load balancing, but we also use it for context switching in the WAF. It is also robust and very easy to work with and manage.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the scalability and the multi-tenancy feature.

We recently tried to configure an authentication, and we ran into some issues while using the web-based GUI. It was very slow when you log in with your credentials in the web-based GUI. Each time we clicked on the menu, it tried to do the authentication. It works properly in the console.

I have been working with Citrix ADC for six years.

Its scalability is not good enough. We can't scale the model that we have to the one that is used for multi-tenancy. We need mobile multi-tenancy. Scalability is a big requirement for us. That's why we are looking at a different model.

Their technical support has been okay. It is fine, but it can be improved.

I have used an F5 solution. In F5, you have to do a lot of coding and scripting to be able to achieve certain things. Citrix is very straightforward because of the infrastructure that we run. It is very easy to spin up services. F5 is not straightforward.

I wouldn't say that it was tedious. It was pretty much straightforward for us.

We had a vendor who was experienced in deploying this solution. After the POC, it was easy for us to deploy this solution. We have less than 20 engineers to maintain this solution.

We get value for money. Its price is fair. I don't think it is overpriced.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is cloud-ready. It can be deployed on the cloud as well as on-premises.

I would rate Citrix ADC an eight out of ten. There are some flaws that need to be corrected.

Syed Basha
IT Cyber Security / IT-DR / BC Specialist at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Stable with good manageability and visibility

• "Manageability and visibility are good."
  • "The interface needs to be improved because the competition is coming up with ones that are more eye-catching, straightforward, and sophisticated."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and when we need to implement application delivery control then Citrix ADC is one of the products that we suggest to our clients.

What is most valuable?

Manageability and visibility are good.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Citrix for three years.

We are very happy with its stability.

We have no issues with scalability.

Currently, our customers for Citrix ADC are large-sized organizations.

I would rate the technical support a seven out of ten. They are okay. When they are investigating a problem then they need a lot of information, and there is a lot of back and forth.

The situation is the same with most of the big vendors.

We also deal with Fortinet FortiADC, and one of our clients recently had to switch to Fortinet because of a management decision. Importantly, however, they were still happy with Citrix.

The complexity of the initial setup and length of time for deployment depends on the customer that we're dealing with. If it's a ministry or government then it's going to take a long time. These deployments might take a month to complete. If it's a small or medium-sized customer then it might be between one and three days, and you're finished.

This product is more expensive than some of the competitors.

In the future, we are hoping to provide more cloud-based solutions. However, at this time, there is not enough maturity, and as such, corporations and government offices want on-premises solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Citrix ADC is a product that I can recommend, without any doubt or hesitation.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Citrix ADC Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.