Citrix ADC OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix ADC is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Application Delivery Controllers. It is most often compared to F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM): Citrix ADC vs F5 BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager (LTM)

What is Citrix ADC?

Citrix ADC is an application delivery controller (ADC) that accelerates application performance, enhances application availability with advanced L4-7 load balancing, secures mission-critical apps from attacks and lowers server expenses by offloading computationally intensive tasks.

Citrix ADC is also known as NetScaler, Citrix NetScaler VPX.

Citrix ADC Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix ADC Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Citrix ADC Customers

ABB Schweiz, Aer Lingus, AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Amnet Technology Solutions, Aramex International, Ascenty, Atos, Autodesk

Citrix ADC Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Citrix ADC pricing:
  • "It is very pricey, but we get it. If you need the best, money shouldn't be a problem."
  • "It's an expensive product but it works well."
  • "The licensing costs for this solution vary depending on which model is being used."
  • "We get value for money. Its price is fair. I don't think it is overpriced."
  • "This product is more expensive than some of the competitors."

RB
System Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable and versatile solution that allows us to easily monitor and manage applications and publish to many devices

What is our primary use case?

We are just publishing applications. We have some clients who need access to these. So, we're hosting the applications for clients. We're also publishing VDIs and using it for processing VDIs.

• "Citrix Director has been great. It gives us one pane of glass to be able to monitor what's going on with the user sessions as well as to keep on top of the virtual desktops, any servers that may be offline or behaving suspiciously, or any troublesome spots like disconnections. We also use Citrix Studio for maintaining the actual servers that are hosting these applications. We use it for delivery groups in case we need to modify delivery groups in regards to which groups have access to which applications. It has been very helpful."
  • "We are looking for some in-depth monitoring and analytics and more information that Citrix Director doesn't provide. ControlUp has insights that not only give you an overview but also allow you to do some drill-down troubleshooting for what's going on in your environment. We are looking for some more analytical and monitoring data to be able to monitor the environment better, not only from an application standpoint but also from the standpoint of the infrastructure to everything it sits on. They can provide more data to the administrators about what's going on within the application. They can provide data not only on the application side but also about what the application sits on. They're making strides with Citrix Analytics in regards to that."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to just go through and look at the requirements and the needs of the people you're supporting. I will always recommend doing a POC, just to make sure that the product that you're inquiring about or thinking about purchasing does what it says it does because you don't want to be oversold something and it under-delivers. I will always recommend doing some type of POC to test everything out. If it is in your budget, then I would say go with it. It has improved the way our organization functions. I have been very impressed with the direction in which Citrix is going. I got…
Michael Ewhe
Enterprise Server and Storage Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
A flexible, agile, and robust solution with easy implementation

What is our primary use case?

We basically use it for money transactions, important call centers, and cash centers.

• "Its flexibility, agility, and robustness are the most valuable. Its management and implementation are also quite easy."
  • "Citrix ADC can be really complex. It isn't very simple like some other appliances that I've worked with. You need a lot of skill and experience to manage it. I'm not talking about a year or two. You need at least four years to understand it very well. It is not that easy to learn. They should make it a lot simpler for users to understand the management of it. They can also provide some additional training. The material they have on the site is not sufficient enough for you to understand how to manage it. Their training is expensive, and not everyone has the funds and experience for it. Citrix isn't very popular around these parts of the world. So, it can use some more marketing, sales, enlightenment, and advertisement. These could bring more market for them. Basically, there are just a few companies that really go for Citrix. Most of the companies go for VMware because they marketed themselves more than Citrix. There isn't much difference between Citrix and VMware. VMware is a little more robust than Citrix. Citrix has focused more on desktops rather than server virtualization, and that's the advantage VMware has over Citrix. Citrix also needs to educate and inform users about the infrastructure that is supported with a version. Currently, if the customers don't look at the datasheet, they might miss this important information."

What other advice do I have?

You need to understand the infrastructure first before delving into it. If you don't have proper knowledge about it, you might run into problems while managing it. Not everyone has the skill to manage Citrix ADC. So, I advise everyone to get proper training and education before implementing it. It is very important. I would rate Citrix ADC a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Citrix ADC. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Eseoghene Charles-Adeoye
Head, Network Design at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to manage with good load balancing and fair pricing

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for load balancing and SSL offloading. It's mostly for load balancing, however, occasionally we use it for the SSL offloading and content switching.

• "The solution is easy to work with and manage."
  • "The solution should be able to scale more effectively than it does."

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. I would recommend this solution to other organizations as it's quite easy to use. There's so much that you can do, compared to F5, for example. With F5, you have to do a lot of tweaking to be able to achieve certain things. With Citrix, due to the infrastructure, we run very very easily. We run on ECA infrastructure and it's a great thing. It's very very straightforward. With F5, it's not as good. That said, it has some flaws that need to be corrected. On a scale of one to ten, I would rate it at an 8.
MB
Principal IT Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Numerous bugs so there is some instability; tech support could be improved

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for the different local LANs and for exchange, a local LAN SharePoint, a local LAN for web applications and for different RDP, remote desktop publishing solutions, a local LAN for intranet, web applications, internal web applications, etc. and for all command switching and full VPN gateway for Citrix and for apps and desktops. We deal with enterprise companies, so around 5,000 users. I'm the Senior Principal IT Consultant in our organization.

• "It is a complete solution for those looking for an all-in-one."
  • "Too many bugs in the software and it's always difficult when you need to update."

What other advice do I have?

If anyone wants to implement this solution, it's important to be clear about your use case in order to grow with the product. Functionality always depends on the underlying networking. If there is trouble in the underlying networking, then you'll always have problems with NetScaler. I would rate this product a three out of 10.
FZ
Senior Server Administrator at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A flexible product with a good VPN and easy-to-use load balancing capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are using Citrix ADC as a VPN appliance, and use it as a load balancer for a few different services.

• "I find all of it to be valuable, because of the flexibility that is built into this product."
  • "There are certain features that are very useful and Citrix makes you pay a bit more for them."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone who is looking at implementing Citrix ADC is if they need flexibility, it's a stable product. It's one of the better appliances that I have used, even in a virtual environment, it's working great. I can recommend it. I would rate Citrix ADC a nine out of ten.
JH
Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides good performance for our virtual apps and desktops

What is our primary use case?

We are using NetScaler VPX as a gateway for our virtual applications and desktops.

• "This solution increases the backend network service performance, which is one of the things that we like the most."
  • "Some of our customers have questioned the security of this solution lately, wondering whether it is safe or not, so enhancements in this respect would be good."

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a solution that I recommend. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Eseoghene Charles-Adeoye
Head, Network Design at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
A robust and easy-to-use solution for load balancing and context switching

What is our primary use case?

We use it for load balancing.

• "The load balancing feature and the fact that you can do context switching in the WAF are the most valuable. We majorly use it for load balancing, but we also use it for context switching in the WAF. It is also robust and very easy to work with and manage."
  • "They can improve the scalability and the multi-tenancy feature. We recently tried to configure an authentication, and we ran into some issues while using the web-based GUI. It was very slow when you log in with your credentials in the web-based GUI. Each time we clicked on the menu, it tried to do the authentication. It works properly in the console."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is cloud-ready. It can be deployed on the cloud as well as on-premises. I would rate Citrix ADC an eight out of ten. There are some flaws that need to be corrected.
Syed Basha
IT Cyber Security / IT-DR / BC Specialist at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Stable with good manageability and visibility

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and when we need to implement application delivery control then Citrix ADC is one of the products that we suggest to our clients.

• "Manageability and visibility are good."
  • "The interface needs to be improved because the competition is coming up with ones that are more eye-catching, straightforward, and sophisticated."

What other advice do I have?

Citrix ADC is a product that I can recommend, without any doubt or hesitation. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
See 11 more Citrix ADC Reviews
Download our free Citrix ADC Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.