MakrandTare
Senior Manager at Vodafone
Has good load-balancing features but we have experienced some authentication problems

• "The load balancing is one of the most valuable features."
  • "I will try to migrate all the tools to the cloud because there is more lab and more VPN scalability available in the cloud. It is not available on-premises."

What is our primary use case?

We deploy it for enterprise customers and some schools that are located in Denmark.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing is one of the most valuable features. We have several load balancing solutions like F5 and Fortinet.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Citrix for the past four years.

Of course it is stable. We have had some errors, like authentication issues, although those are easy to fix.

It is scalable enough.

We started with 100 users and now are up to 2,500.

We have contacted their technical support. They provided their contact details, the account manager details, so we contacted them frequently and as required. They are very good.

We are also familiar with F5.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's deployed in our central location and four different other plants. It's not complex for those types of environments. Including the network setup, the entire deployment took 45 days.

I did the deployment together with my team. The deployment required four advanced engineers.

We also evaluated Fortinet but we found that it is not that good a solution in terms of it being user-friendly and it was not very scalable. Comparatively, FortiGate is a good option, and reading-wise I think it's good.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell someone considering this solution to know your use cases and get good documentation.

When we experienced an issue, we made documents and we can share those documents and share all the details to help provide others with solutions.

I would rate it a six out of ten.

RB
Competency Leader - Virtualization at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Easy to deploy and useful for load balancing, VPN, and AAA authentication

• "The load balancing and VPN features are most valuable. AAA authentication is also valuable."
  • "Its GUI should be improved. Its CLI is powerful, but GUI needs more features."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly used for virtual desktop delivery for remote access. We are also using it for load balancing and SSL VPN.

What is most valuable?

The load balancing and VPN features are most valuable. AAA authentication is also valuable.

They have specific integration with the product line for application virtualization and desktop virtualization.

What needs improvement?

Its GUI should be improved. Its CLI is powerful, but GUI needs more features.

I have been using this solution for almost eight years.

It is stable.

They have the software bundle licenses. If you want to add more users, capacity, or throughput on the bandwidth, you can add licenses, and it'll get upgraded.

They also have scalability options with virtualization, and you can use those options as well. Normally, we decide on a particular model depending on the number of users and the use case.

They have different models. An entry-level model supports up to 5,000 users. A mid-range model can support up to 10,000 users, and a high-end model can support up to 40,000 users in the box in HA configuration.

I've contacted them many times. In case of a problem or error, you can raise a support ticket online. Normally, we upload the log. After they analyze the log, they are able to identify the root cause and provide support. In case of a severe issue, they also do a remote session to analyze the issue. They are very helpful.

It is pretty easy and straightforward. A new setup takes maybe a couple of hours.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on the use case. If you have a use case for an application controller for load balancing, web application firewall, or virtual infrastructure, you can straight away go for this solution.

I would rate Citrix ADC a nine out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about Citrix ADC. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,823 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MR
Customer Service Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good load balancing and web application firewall functionality

• "The most valuable feature is load balancing."
  • "The WAF component needs to be simplified so that it is easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

This solution acts as my web server, web application server, firewall, and load balancer. I also use it for IPSec 4 to IPSec 6 conversion.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is load balancing. This solution will do both global and local load balancing.

The WAF features are very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The WAF component needs to be simplified so that it is easier to use.

In the next release, I would like to see more firewall policy support.

I have been using Citrix NetScaler VPX for about five years.

There are a few bugs here and there, but technical support has been able to assist with them.

This solution is easy to scale if we have up to ten servers, but much higher and we need to use a different level of license. It is a little bit expensive.

We have approximately 2,000 users.

I am quite satisfied with the technical support.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup is straightforward.

I installed this solution with the help of my own team.

Our licensing fees including technical support are approximately $3,500 USD.

We evaluated a solution by F5, but we found it to be a little complex and we didn't proceed with it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that it works best for small-scale industry. I would recommend this for a small business, but not for larger organizations. It works quite well for 1,000 or 2,000 users, but I would not recommend more than that.

Rodrigo Martin
CEO Iberia & Latam at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, stable, and scalable

• "The solution is very stable."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have Citrix StoreFront to access everything from a remote desk. We use it with Office 365 so that we can access Teams.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The product is scalable.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if there were more integration capabilities. That's something that could improve.

Technical support could be improved.

The solution could offer a higher level of security.

I've been using the solution for about five or six years. It's been a while.

The solution has been very stable. I don't recall dealing with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand usage, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We currently have 400 users on the solution right now.

I've contacted technical support in the past. Their level of service is inconsistent. Sometimes it's good and other times not as much. It depends.

The installation was handled by a specific department and not by myself. I work in an area of the government and don't contact that department directly. Therefore, I can't speak to the overall experience of the initial setup. I can't say if it is difficult or straightforward.

I don't have any details in relation to the pricing. It's not an aspect of the solution that I take care of.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user. I don't have any special relationship with Citrix.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities overall.

I would recommend the solution to other users, departments, and companies.

OA
Solution Architect at a tech services company
Good scalability and stability with very responsive technical support

• "The solution is very stable. We don't have any downtime or issues of that nature."
  • "The solution is a bit more expensive than some of the available solutions in this region. One solution in particular that I noticed was cheaper was Kemp."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for network load balancing on the edge of the network.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is the content.

What needs improvement?

The solution is a bit more expensive than some of the available solutions in this region. One solution in particular that I noticed was cheaper was Kemp.

I've been using the solution for six years.

The solution is pretty scalable. Right now, we are only using about 40-50% of the solution's capacity. We have about 4,000 users connecting through the system. Currently, we don't plan to increase usage.

Support has been okay so far. We only ever call about two times a year, but each time we get the right help. Once we called about custom features and they supported us quite well.

We previously used Kemp Load Balancer. We still have it as part of our infrastructure. The main difference between the two is the Citrix solution is part of a physical appliance, whereas the Kemp solution is a virtual appliance.

The initial setup was straightforward. We had a very good engineer that handled the implementation.

There are costs in addition to the licensing fees, so the overall price can begin to add up.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to people who need the services and features provided by Citrix. It's a wonderful product. We've never had any downtime on our NetScaler solution. I'm pretty happy with it.

I'd rate it nine out of ten.

AB
Network Support Officer at Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc
A stable and lightweight gateway for application delivery

• "My customers have told me that the performance of this solution is good."
  • "I would like to see multifactor authentication added to this solution to improve the security."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is application delivery. It provides access.

This solution is a gateway to the public cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is that it is very light. Once you log in, you have your applications delivered. It is not heavy over the internet or the web.

My customers have told me that the performance of this solution is good.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for three or four years.

In terms of stability, this solution is quite good.

There are some things that I am not fully clear about when it comes to the physical appliance because I have not used it before. Currently, I am using the virtual appliance and it is scalable.

We have approximately one hundred users. We have no plans to increase usage at this time.

My consultant handles the first level of technical support for me.

I have not tried other solutions.

The initial setup of this solution is not complex. I think that it's quite simple.

The deployment takes approximately one or two days.

I have a consultant who handles the deployment of this solution for me.

What other advice do I have?

We have the option of configuring the workspace or the receiver for clients to connect, or they can use the URL option and then login. I prefer using the URL that is on the web.

This is a solution that I have used for years and I recommend it.

TZ
Business Consultant. at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Scalable, easy to deploy, and reasonable enterprise-level pricing

• "The solution was very easy to deploy."
  • "We have issues with the certificates. All authorization processes need certificates, however, every three months we needed to change certificates. This process iss complicated for us because Citrix does not have a not user-friendly interface and does not off user-friendly services. This needs a lot of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a device for connections from our mobile corporate devices to our infrastructure.

How has it helped my organization?

provided a secure connection to critical information

What is most valuable?

Authorization from mobile diverse for end-users to our infrastructure is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We have issues with the certificates. All authorization processes need certificates, however, every three months we needed to change certificates. This process is complicated for us because Citrix does not have a not user-friendly interface and does not off user-friendly services. This needs a lot of improvement.

I've been using the solution for one year.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The solution was very easy to deploy.

The implementation was handled internally by our team.

For enterprise-level pricing, the cost isn't too high.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It's pretty good, but the issues surrounding the certificates make it a difficult system for us.

In terms of advice, I would give to others, I'd say that they should read the manual before implementing the solution. Also, be sure to have someone on your team who knows Citrix very well. If you do not understand all processes when you deploy this solution, you will have issues.

Khatib Mechentel
Infrastructure Project Manager and Architect at Conseil Départemental Seine-Maritime
Has good content switching ability and good GUI functionality

• "The most valuable feature is the content switching."
  • "ADC from Citrix has added functionalities from other products and the usability is very difficult for someone who is used to a simpler user interface, it's a little bit of a mess to use."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the content switching.

What needs improvement?

In terms of the GUI's functionalities, it responds to our needs. I don't see a need for improvement for that.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

We have more users than before so we had to migrate from a VPX to an NPX to improve the bandwidth. We are a medium-sized company with around 5,000 users. Most of them work through ADC appliances. It responds to our needs.

I have contacted their technical support. They're good. We have a meeting with them once a month. Their support is good.

What other advice do I have?

My recommendation would depend on the company's needs. In my former job, we used to have f5 for load balancing and we used to have NetScaler for ICA reverse proxy for access gateway and we used the two of them in conjunction. In my current job, we have Fortinet for firewalling and we have ADC for reverse proxy for access gateway. My opinion is that you have to choose the best solution for every functionality you need.

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the user interface.

Download our free Citrix ADC Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.