Citrix Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix Gateway is #1 ranked solution in top Universal Access Gateways, #1 ranked solution in top SSL VPN tools, and #5 ranked solution in top Enterprise Infrastructure VPN tools. IT Central Station users give Citrix Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. Citrix Gateway is most commonly compared to Check Point Remote Access VPN:Citrix Gateway vs Check Point Remote Access VPN. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is Citrix Gateway?

Citrix Gateway is a customer-managed solution that can be deployed on premises or on any public cloud, such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform. Citrix Gateway provides users with secure access and single sign-on to all the virtual, SaaS and web applications they need to be productive.

Citrix Gateway was previously known as Citrix NetScaler Unified Gateway.

Citrix Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Citrix Gateway Customers

Aeronamic, Avianca, Bechtel Corporation, Betfair UK, Catholic University Leuven (K.U. Leuven), Centene Corporation, Cerner, Charityshare, City of High Point, Clark Builders

Citrix Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Citrix Gateway pricing:
  • "Pricing is very high if you do a comparison with what is available in the market."
  • "The price could be lower."
  • "It costs about 4,000 a year."

Citrix Gateway Reviews

Gary James
Owner at NovoLux Networks
Great performance, extremely stable, and scalable

• "Just creating that gateway to the storefront for Citrix is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us."
  • "It's extremely complicated and it's not intuitive. The solution requires a lot of training to get going on it."

What is our primary use case?

Our biggest, most consistent problem was renewing certificates. Otherwise, it works like it isn't even there. It's just a workhorse.

What is most valuable?

I'm pretty well settled on Citrix. They have the highest performing application on the planet, as far as I know.

What needs improvement?

It's extremely complicated and it's not intuitive. The solution requires a lot of training to get going on it. I'm not sure that that's necessarily a critique on it. It may be more of a critique on me and my abilities with it, however, it isn't necessarily straightforward. It could stand for some improvement in that sense.

If there were wizards for standard deployments, that might be nice. If there were prompts for situations like trying to deploy one virtual server behind one virtual storefront where the how-to was explained, that would be great. Other than that, you have to get really deep in the gears and figure out which gear you need to move and what lever you've got to pull. It's complex.

I've used the solution as recently as three to six months ago. I have been using the solution off and on in one shape or form for probably eight years.

The solution is rock solid. The only problem I ever had with stability on any consistent basis was replacing certificates on a yearly or semi-yearly basis. Otherwise, it is great and extremely reliable.

The solution has a great ability to scale. That's not a problem at all on the solution.

Their help desk is reasonably good. However, without wizards, I can spend two hours on a technical support call just trying to figure out how to set something up. That's not a slight on their level of service; however, if the solution made a few design tweaks, it would mean I could spend less time calling them for assistance.

The initial setup was complex; it was not straightforward.

The deployment takes about one to two hours.

It's a very feature-rich device. You have to dial into the specifics of what you want to use. It's like a Swiss army knife. It's got a thousand different uses and you only have one or two that you want to use it for. You have figure out just how to set up for those one or two uses.

What other advice do I have?

I have a good deal of experience with Citrix. They're sitting on top of the heap as far as I can tell. It's not just clout and name recognition, but the actual product and actual performance delivery are stellar. They've got it set far as I know.

We're using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution a solid nine out of ten. It's a pain to set up, however, once you've got that sorted, it's an extremely solid product.

UM
Hosting Solutions Systems Analyst at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
A stable solution, but comes with a complex setup and unresponsive tech support

• "The solution is stable."
  • "As Citrix Gateway is a third party solution, we wish to have one which is more integrated and involves less administration."

What needs improvement?

As Citrix Gateway is a third party solution, we wish to have one which is more integrated and involves less administration. We want one which would allow access with a single click and only require RDP and the clicking of a single icon.

The solution is stable.

Tech support is not that great. Whenever an issue arises, it takes them time to respond and they do so via email. This is something we do not like.

The initial setup is not straightforward at all. I feel it to be complex and unclear.

The reason we were comparing Citrix Gateway to other solutions is to ensure that a VPN can be used on a desktop, for third-party security reasons.

We don't want a situation in which a person can connect to his desktop, but is forced to use our environment using Citrix Gateway. There is no need to use the solution if one wishes to utilize Cisco VPN for connecting to Azure via VDI or to remote the RDP into it. However, Citrix Gateway gives one a better picture of place. Its administration is a bit better and it makes the creation of videos easier and faster once it's set up.

My advice to others who are contemplating using the solution is that going with Cisco is preferable, even though Citrix Gateway is a good product.

What other advice do I have?

Automation is important. At the moment, I am testing for ease of administration and, with the risk that ransomeware poses, for security.

I rate Citrix Gateway as a six out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco ASx500 vs. Citrix Gateway and other solutions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DP
AVP at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
A secure and stable solution for virtual desktop infrastructure, but the pricing could be reduced and technical support could be better

• "The most valuable feature is that it is secure."
  • "Technical support could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for a virtual desktop infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is secure.

What needs improvement?

The price could be reduced because it is slightly more costly than others available in the market.

Technical support could be improved.

They could do something more with the dashboard.

I have been using Citrix Gateway for approximately six years.

Citrix Gateway is stable and we have not experienced any issues.

It's a scalable product.

Technical support is not great. There is no proactive support for patches that have been released. For example, there are no mailers to advise you that there are new patches available.

There is no direct communication and there doesn't seem to be any focus on the customer.

Pricing is very high if you do a comparison with what is available in the market. It ends up being very expensive.

Apart from licensing, there are additional fees for support and partnerships.

What other advice do I have?

For customers who are concerned with security and would want to have virtual machines in their environment, I recommend this solution. Otherwise, this product is costly.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Saquib Hameed
VDI Technology Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Is easy to install, stable, and scalable

• "It is easy to set up and is stable. It is scalable as well, depending on the model."
  • "Their VAS product should be more productive because right now, we are using other VAS solutions but not using this one."

What is our primary use case?

In our environment right now, we are using NetScaler. We purchased two devices last year for our Citrix VDI environment, for load balancing and gateway features for VPN connectivity.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up and is stable. It is scalable as well, depending on the model.

What needs improvement?

Security enhancements could be made, and technical support could be improved.

Right now, the multi-factor authentication solution built-in with the product works, but it actually uses Google Authenticator, a third-party authenticator. I would like Citrix to launch their own authenticator-based software so that it will be more secure. It will be more personalized according to the requirements too.

I've been working with Citrix Gateway for around two years.

The product has been stable so far.

It is scalable depending on the model you have. We have about 5,000 plus users in our company.

Technical support is quite good. Improvement is needed on the technical side, response time, and technical engineer support.

The initial setup was very easy.

The price could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Citrix Gateway at nine.

SP
Subject Matter Expert ADC at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Runs seamlessly and has good stability

• "What I find most valuable about this solution, is that it runs seamlessly."
  • "I would like to see better configuration of repairs and downloading certification."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to give solutions for automating subject data. We provide automation solutions and build the APAs around Citrix Netscaler.

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable about this solution is that it runs seamlessly. It is very streamlined.

What needs improvement?

Areas that should be improved are the configuration of profiles and uploading and downloading of our certificates.

I have been using Citrix NetScaler Unified Gateway for around two years now.

The previous version was very stable and so far I haven't had any bugs or issues with the newer version.

The version we're currently using isn't as scalable as the previous one.

I haven't used their technical support yet.

The initial setup was easy and straightforward. After reading the documents provided, I was able to do everything myself.

We haven't looked at other solutions, because our client preferred Citrix NetScaler Unified Gateway, so we had to comply with that.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I will rate this solution an eight. In the next version, I would like to see better configuration of repairs and downloading certification. Better exposure would also be a plus.

Mitul Rajput
GM COE at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Very flexible configuration; useful for logging features and combinations

• "The solution has very flexible configuration."
  • "The solution has unnecessary limitations."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the general manager and CEO of the company.

What is most valuable?

I like the very flexible configuration of Citrix. It's very useful for our regulations where we are able to log features and combinations. It offers a greater variety of features than any other gateway.

What needs improvement?

Citrix Gateway has a lot of limitations, cloud limitations as a starting point. Microsoft should combine together and solve those problems. I can't go more than three GBDs whereas on AWS I can go to five GBD and get throughput. Here I'm not able to get into throughput, so I have to deploy multiple gateways to get to throughput and that's a bigger problem.

I've been using this solution for 10 years.

The solution is stable and they are currently upgrading. We identified two bugs that have now been fixed.

The solution is scalable and we have one or two people responsible for maintenance.

The initial setup is very straightforward. If it's a complex configuration, deployment might take one week, otherwise it should just be a day or two.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this product for any type of organization.

I rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

SS
Manager of Infrastructure and Security Services at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Extremely good support, pretty full-featured, and adds great security

What is our primary use case?

It is our application filtering and gateway portal for our Citrix end-users. We have its most recent version.

What is most valuable?

It adds great security to your outfacing information. It is pretty full-featured. There are a lot of things that you can do with this. It is amazing what it can do.

What needs improvement?

Its interface could be made a lot easier. It is very kludgy. Its initial setup could be easier.

I have been using this solution for quite a few years.

Out Citrix team deals with it, and there are three people who work on it.

Their tech support is extremely good. I haven't heard of…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It adds great security to your outfacing information.

What needs improvement?

Its interface could be made a lot easier. It is very kludgy.

Its initial setup could be easier.

I have been using this solution for quite a few years.

Out Citrix team deals with it, and there are three people who work on it.

Their tech support is extremely good. I haven't heard of any issues with their tech support.

It is complex and could be easier. It took us about two weeks to deploy.

We used a consultant. They were good. They knew the product.

It costs about 4,000 a year.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to definitely go through somebody who knows the product.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

SL
Team Lead, Infrastructure & Technology at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Session monitoring is helpful, and the security and authentication features are good

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and authentication. The session monitoring capability is good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improved logging because it doesn't keep much information for the session monitoring or historical sessions.

We have not had any trouble with stability, aside from our setup issues.

We have had no issues with scalability.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security and authentication.

The session monitoring capability is good.

What needs improvement?

We have not had any trouble with stability, aside from our setup issues.

We have had no issues with scalability.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

The initial setup is quite straightforward because we have been using it for some time. We did experience some setup issues, which were mostly related to misconfiguration.

The time for deployment is perhaps a week or less.

We have an in-house team that handles deployment and maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution I would recommend.

Overall, this is a good solution that is stable, but I would like to see improvements to the logging capability.