Citrix Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix Gateway is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Universal Access Gateways. It is most often compared to Check Point Remote Access VPN: Citrix Gateway vs Check Point Remote Access VPN

What is Citrix Gateway?

Citrix Gateway is a customer-managed solution that can be deployed on premises or on any public cloud, such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform. Citrix Gateway provides users with secure access and single sign-on to all the virtual, SaaS and web applications they need to be productive.

Citrix Gateway is also known as Citrix NetScaler Unified Gateway.

Citrix Gateway Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix Gateway Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

Citrix Gateway Customers

Aeronamic, Avianca, Bechtel Corporation, Betfair UK, Catholic University Leuven (K.U. Leuven), Centene Corporation, Cerner, Charityshare, City of High Point, Clark Builders

Citrix Gateway Video

Archived Citrix Gateway Reviews (more than two years old)

Oliver Rodrigues
Senior Network Security Planning at Ooredoo Kuwait
Reseller
Offers good web app support but the dashboard should be more clear in reporting issues

• "The features that we have found most valuable are the web app support and VPN."
  • "The dashboard or interface should be more clear in reporting issues. Integration with other applications should be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use Citrix NetScaler as a WAF gateway to protect web applications, with Multi-tenancy. We have also enabled SSLVPN ( Remote access ) and Mobile Device management on the same solution.

What is most valuable?

The features that we have found most valuable are the web app support and VPN.

What needs improvement?

Citrix NetScaler is something that connects the deployment. To improve:

• The interface should be more user-friendly.
  • Integration with other applications must improve.
  • They should provide training videos.
  • The product needs to have a good dashboard.

It's too early to say how the product can improve because I just implemented it.

I would rate the stability of Citrix Netscaler an eight out of 10.

I would rate the scalability of Citrix Netscaler an eight out of 10.

We want Citrix to do their support level at a higher standard. They should provide some training videos for us.

We used Barracuda. We switched from Barracuda because Citrix offered better features and scalability.

The initial setup was complex to install. It took almost three weeks.

We used a reseller. Our experience with them was not bad. It was standard and issue-free.

The ROI will depend on the business model.

We have an annual license.

We also evaluated F5 and Barracuda WAF.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend to other people to implement this product. Use Citrix Netscaler. It is 100%. Otherwise, I would give only a five or six out of 10 for the product.

DP
Senior Specialist for IT Infrastructure Solutions at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integrates well with other solutions, is easy to implement, and has a great unified gateway

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The unified gateway and the active gateway, particularly used for desktop load balancing for web servers are the most valuable. The solution easily integrates with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be a bit pricey.

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years.

The stability of the solution is perfect.

Technical support is okay.

The initial installation is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

We use public and private cloud deployment models. For the use cases…

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for load balancing.

What is most valuable?

The solution easily integrates with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be a bit pricey.

I've been using the solution for seven or eight years.

The stability of the solution is perfect.

Technical support is okay.

The initial installation is very easy.

What other advice do I have?

We use public and private cloud deployment models.

For the use cases we have, the solution is perfect.

It's a very mature product, it is working very nicely and it's very well established. I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Citrix Gateway vs. SonicWall SMA and other solutions. Updated: September 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AW
Citrix Pre Sales at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable, scalable solution with excellent node balancing

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the control of application delivery.

What is most valuable?

All of the features are quite valuable, including the node balancing and gateway.

What needs improvement?

The VPN needs to be improved. In comparison to Cisco, the solution doesn't have as many features. Technical support needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

The solution is very stable. If I were to rate it out of ten, I would give stability a nine.

Scalability is okay. Out of ten, I would rate it at seven.

Technical support is not…

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for the control of application delivery.

What needs improvement?

Technical support needs improvement.

I've been using the solution for ten years.

Scalability is okay. Out of ten, I would rate it at seven.

Technical support is not good. I would rate them five out of ten.

The initial setup is very complex.

You need the assistance of a consultant to implement the solution properly.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the on-premises deployment model.

If you compare the solution to Fortinet, Citrix Unified Gateway is good. If you compare the solution to Cisco, no, it's not so good.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

RuiLopes
Solution Architect at vxnet.
Has the ability to be used in all types of environments, on-premise, cloud, or hybrid deployments

• "The initial setup is simple. Normally with all setups, it's not very complicated. It really depends on the customer."
  • "I'd like to see support for reverse proxy and more security features."

How has it helped my organization?

I work for a Citrix Partner, so Citrix Netscaler (now ADC) is one the pillars for our sollutions. we propose and implement for our customers. For them, security is the main gain as well as service, availability, flexibility for moving the workloads within different environments, and using different hybrids.
Aside the funtionality and features, it's simple and very user-friendly to deploy and maintain.

What is most valuable?

I've found the security features like web application firewall, the tri-scale capability  as well  the portability. You can have the NetScaler platform in different formats, you can have it as regular physical appliance, virtual appliance, on a container, multi-tenant appliances, and even on bare metal. there are, of course, some minor diferences related to the platform the physical resources you're using, but the code and funtionality is basically the same. it gives you a lot of flexibility.

What needs improvement?

The solution is already very feature rich, but there are also points for improvement.
Fortunatelly, at least so far and with the projects we've been involved, Citrix Support and engineering teams are very responsive and very willing to align with customer specific requests to develop new functionality and enrich the solution.

For the next releases, i'm expecting (even) more focus on visibility and analytics.

I've been using the solution for 12 years.

it is very stable. and even the upgrade processes are very strainghforward.

It's very scalable. You have the tri-scaler capaability with which you can use and have up to 32 NetScaler ADC nodes.

It's software, it has its bugs, it's normal. The support has been very helpful. The engineering team is also responsive. From time to time we find a new bug and there's a good response from the support and the engineering team. They tend to solve it for instance, with a new version or by internally developing a specific patch.

We normally try to evaluate other options depending on the customers use case and objectives, but somehow we end up sticking with Citrix ADC since with we've started working with it.

Basic setup to have a ADC up and running is very simple, but integrating really depends on the customer environment and objectives.
We have customers that use it for everything, that can have more complexity so it depends on the environment.

I would say that generally, it's not complicated. You don't have to learn a specific language, or go very deep on a CLI.  It's not a big deal.

As mentioned before, setup is fairly simple and documented on the Citrix eDocs.
there's a lot of information and how-to articles which facilitates all the setup.

The new pooled licensing model also can be very useful in hybrid or wide deployments.

yes, the major players on the ADC and remote access space.

What other advice do I have?

You don't have a very steep learning curve as you do with other vendors. In terms of manageability, I think it's easy, and there's also available some tools like Citrix ADM which facilitates all the operation.

I would definitely recommend this solution.  It's very straightforward and easy to use.
can be used in a lot os use cases, from the pure traffic management, secure remote access to protecting critical web sites.

There's also a wide and participative community using the solution, so the use case and issue you face probably is already "googlable".

I would give this solution a nine out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Citrix Partner.
YU
Security Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Helpful load balancing and verification features, but scalability and technical support need improvement

• "Most of our customers are using the load balancing feature and also the verification feature is good as well, in my experience."
  • "If the solution had a more advanced DNS, it would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers.

What is most valuable?

Most of our customers are using the load balancing feature and the verification feature is good as well, in my experience.

What needs improvement?

The two-factor authentication solution needs improvement. It needs a multi-factor authentification.

Training videos would be helpful, and they're transitioning to a new portal, as far as I know. So the portal maybe has now improvements and they will provide for a larger community for the users and retailers. This will provide a more improved solution.

A forward proxy in the next release would be good, I think. If the solution had a more advanced DNS, it would be an improvement.

I've been using the solution for three years.

Stability is fine, depending on what features you are using.

Scalability is not good because they didn't change the solution. If you want to scale the product you have to install more and more appliances, and their solution technology is not good against the competition. We have less than ten thousand users.

The technical support is fine. It's not the best, but fine.

We are a reseller company, so we resell to our customers the product and we integrate it with other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the product is good, but we prefer F5's networks against Citrix.

I would rate this solution as six out of ten.

Sameer Quraishi
Information Security Officer at Zamil
Runs smoothly and offers good features for applications

• "We haven't received any complaints or performance issues so far."
  • "The load balancing could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use NetScaler for the server and also Zen app.

How has it helped my organization?

The main challenge that we were facing is regarding the net application which does not work without this solution. We replaced NetScaler with the F5 solution.

What is most valuable?

I cannot say that now because it's just been six months. Nonetheless, we haven't received any complaints or performance issues so far.

What needs improvement?

The load balancing could be improved. Also, remote users should be able to carry connections to our centralized server and access applications remotely.

We've been using this solution for around six months.

Stability is good I'd say. We did not face any issues this far; it's been running smoothly. We have a free application, which gives us up to 365 applications, so that comes to around 5000 users.

We were using F5 LTM (Local Traffic Manager) before. They are the market leader. We were using that, but we replaced it with the NetScaler.

The initial setup was very easy and we were able to fully deploy it, test it, and have all the applications migrated within a week. So, there's no major issue there.

The deployment strategy is very simple. We created just the domain IP. During migration, we reconfigured the replica of the current network solution, and we made the same verification in the NetScaler with the domain IP address. After the migration, we just stopped the F5 solution and enabled it on the NetScaler. So, the whole migration does not take even one minute of downtime.

We involved a consultant and they were very experienced.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this as ten out of ten because I don't see any issue and it is cheaper than F5. We are investing and getting additional features, such as features for applications. We get added value on that, which is good. We are getting everything we need.

it_user613110
Our customers can provide access to their applications and data, but the data won’t leave their data centers

What is most valuable?

• Netscaler Gateway
  • Netscaler AAA
  • Netscaler Content Switching/Load Balancing
  • Central Application Delivery Controller with a huge feature set based on the latest requirements

How has it helped my organization?

We implement these solutions at many customer sites. This directly affects the productivity and gives the customer a very flexible solution.

The customers have the possibility to provide access to their applications and data, but the data itself won’t leave their data centers.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of anything at the moment.

We have been using NetScaler for five years.

We sometimes had issues after updates.

I would give technical support a rating of 10 out of 10.

We did not use a previous solution.

You need a very good concept and you have to do the conceptual work before you start implementing. Depending on the concept, the setup could be straightforward.

You have to do some hard work in order to get the suitable licenses.

We looked at VMware View in some projects.

What other advice do I have?

All Citrix products are very flexible and give you a huge amount of possibilities. From a consulting perspective, I recommend allocating enough take time for project planning.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Citrix Gold Partner and Specialist in Networking and Virtualization product lines.