Citrix Hypervisor Overview

Citrix Hypervisor is the #6 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to Proxmox VE: Citrix Hypervisor vs Proxmox VE

What is Citrix Hypervisor?

Citrix Hypervisor is a leading virtualization management platform optimized for application, desktop and server virtualization infrastructures. Consolidation and containment of workloads on Citrix Hypervisor enables organizations of any vertical or size to transform their business IT compute infrastructures.

Citrix Hypervisor is also known as XenServer.

Citrix Hypervisor Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix Hypervisor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Citrix Hypervisor Customers

U.S. Army Shared Services Center, SoftLayer, Educational Services of America, Independent Bank, and SK Telecom.

Citrix Hypervisor Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Citrix Hypervisor pricing:
  • "The licensing is straight forward based on usage and features."
  • "I am fine with their license support. What we have right now is permanent, so I don't have a problem with their license."
  • "There are free and paid versions. The free version is limited in features but not by time limit. The paid version has more features."

Anthony Musaluke
Chief Operating Officer at Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia (CIDRZ)
The ability to move a VM while it is still running and continue doing maintenance work is a big advantage

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is that it serves as the main computing platform for our enterprise software. Our ERP system and our SQL Servers run on top of that and all the applications that we deploy are essentially virtualized.

• "The ability to move a virtual machine while it is running is a big advantage."
  • "It needs to have a more robust backup solution."

What other advice do I have?

I think the biggest issue that I've seen that scares off a lot of potential customers is that they think it is complicated to set up. There are not many people who have deployed the product compared to other products. I think new clients should start small and gain confidence. There is no harm in having a mixed environment where they can at least try it out. If they like it they can continue to roll out the deployment. For us, the attraction has been that the licensing is straight forward. You don't have to think about what it will cost for add on features. It's really straightforward in that…
Michael Ewhe
Enterprise Server and Storage Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Flexible, rugged, user-friendly, and easy to understand

• "It is quite flexible and rugged. It is also easy to understand and user-friendly. It is not as complicated as some of the other solutions. It has its technicalities, but it is easy to understand. You can easily pick up in a short period of time and understand how to manage the infrastructure."
  • "I am not very sure about how flexible Citrix Hypervisor is with different types of infrastructures. I only know it is flexible with Nutanix, but I am not sure if it is also flexible with others. They can make its integration with other platforms or OEMs easy. They should also make it easy for users to manage their infrastructure. Citrix should make compatibility information related to a hypervisor easily available in a datasheet. Citrix isn't really recognized in this part of the world, and they need to expand their solution and make it more available. There are a lot of customers and companies that are looking for a solution like Citrix, and it should be available in this part of the world. They need to educate people more. Technically, it is good and flexible and has good ability, but it is not as much known as VMware or Microsoft. Their support should also be improved. Currently, if you don't have an updated version, they will not give you the attention."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for user endpoints or desktops. I would rate Citrix Hypervisor an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about Citrix Hypervisor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.
WV
User at a marketing services firm with 201-500 employees
The performance is great and you don't need many other tools

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is virtualization.

• "The feature I find most valuable, is its performance"
  • "I think the technical support could be better."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be that there is no one golden bullet when choosing a virtualization platform. It depends on the careful planning of what kind of service you plan to provide to your users. Ask questions like: What is running on those systems? What platforms? What are your minimum demands? There's something else that's fairly important because the virtualization market is rapidly shifting towards a total overhaul. And efforts are being made on the Linux site to run armed and risk solutions in the data center. So I hope that XenServer will adapt to that too. This solution has special…
Deepak Sinha
Manager IT at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, easy to set up, and user friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for application delivery that is centralized on-premises and hosted on data centers. For example, net applications. All the net applications I have published using the Citrix Hypervisor are there. On top of the Citrix Hypervisor, I position the Citrix application delivery infrastructure, and I have published all my applications that way. I'm just publishing and providing this application to my business users, as per their demand. It offers completely secure accessibility, and centralized access management.

• "The solution is extremely user friendly."
  • "The licensing costs are too high on the solution. They should work to make the costs more reasonable."

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. As of now, in this COVID-19 paramedic situation, it's very remote-friendly product. It's great for IT and business processes if teams are planning to work from home remotely. This platform is quite good, in terms of publicity planning, remote connectivity, product flexibility, and user demands. Companies that want that kind of flexibility and freedom should explore this tool. It's quite useful.
CC
Network Engineeer at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A simple virtualization solution that is free to try and deploy in a feature-limited version

What is our primary use case?

My primary use of the product is for the purpose of server virtualization. It is used for virtualizing our web servers.

• "This is a dependable solution for virtualization with a good community for product support."
  • "Assigning the order of virtual server startup is not very easy and this can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate XenServer as an eight. There are some problems, but it is also not the full release version.
GI
Pre-sales Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good customization with responsive technical support and very good security

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to deploy some services for our final users.

• "The solution's security is its most valuable aspect."
  • "Overall, I can't think of a feature that is lacking. We've been pretty satisfied overall."

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller. This may be the best solution on the market for these purposes. We've been very happy with it so far. I'd rate the solution for nine out of ten.
KP
Lead Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Good for hosting and patching virtual machines, but the technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for providing virtual machines to the customers.

• "The most valuable features are being able to host many virtual machines and being able to patch machines."
  • "You need a licensed account to look up technical support."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely suggest that you do a trade study with other Hypervisors available. I would rate Citrix Hypervisor a six out of ten.
Letsogile-Baloi
CEO at IMART OFFICE CONSULTANTS
Reseller
A stable, highly scalable solution that offers good integration capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtualization and for building other things on top of it. Mostly we sell the solution to other customers and offer them support.

• "The solution integrates well with other solutions, which makes it really strong as a primary solution to deploy."
  • "The solution is too expensive and people are kind of moving away from Citrix. It's starting to become a problem. It is a primary reason that while we are rebuilding we're going to seek out open-source solutions."

What other advice do I have?

We are rebuilding our whole news infrastructure. We stopped using the solution for some things, but we will use it once we are finished with what we are currently building. We're using a hybrid deployment model. We're also a Citrix partner. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. I really like the solution. It works well.
See 10 more Citrix Hypervisor Reviews