Citrix Hypervisor Overview

Citrix Hypervisor is the #6 ranked solution in our list of best Server Virtualization Software. It is most often compared to Proxmox VE: Citrix Hypervisor vs Proxmox VE

What is Citrix Hypervisor?

Citrix Hypervisor is a leading virtualization management platform optimized for application, desktop and server virtualization infrastructures. Consolidation and containment of workloads on Citrix Hypervisor enables organizations of any vertical or size to transform their business IT compute infrastructures.

Citrix Hypervisor is also known as XenServer.

Citrix Hypervisor Buyer's Guide

Download the Citrix Hypervisor Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Citrix Hypervisor Customers

U.S. Army Shared Services Center, SoftLayer, Educational Services of America, Independent Bank, and SK Telecom.

Citrix Hypervisor Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

JJ
Technical Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Offers full control over our virtual machines and is budget-friendly

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for cloud automation.

• "This solution allows the end users to clone, start, stop, or remotely control their VMs."
  • "The self-service user portal needs to be more granular and be more customizable."

What other advice do I have?

I really like this solution, but it is not widely known. I'm really surprised that more people don't know about it. I find that it suits our needs pretty well. Considering what I am getting for the cost I would rate this solution a ten out of ten. There are more powerful solutions out there, but they're very costly. If I were paying for the support then I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Solution Architect, IT Consultant at Merdasco - Rayan Merdas Data Prosseccing
It is a good solution for central maintenance and management panels.

What is our primary use case?

We use this primarily for core banking, automative industry, data applications, and more.

What is most valuable?

We find there are good central maintenance and management panels.

What needs improvement?

It needs improvement with the securit

More than five years.

I think it provides good performance.

The scalability of the solution is good. We have less than 100 people currently using the solution.

We have in-house IT tech support that helps us with solving tech issues.

The initial setup is very easy and we can do…
Learn what your peers think about Citrix Hypervisor. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Systems Engineer at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees
Lots of good features, lots of limitations

What other advice do I have?

Citrix or third-party software would probably make it more flexible and powerful than the plain, FOSS XenServer components.
Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Top ReviewerTop 20
Highly recommended virtualization software to manage virtual guests

What other advice do I have?

Highly recommended and suited for administrators having sound knowledge of open source commands. !!
Manager Network Operations at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
We've been able to reduce our physical hardware and make more efficient use and allocation of those resources.
Chief Technology Officer at PTSO
We're not tied to a single piece of hardware so we can quickly adjust, but it needs to gain more market share to incentivize improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Research the different partners you have to work with throughout your organization and determine how well they work with Hyper-V and vSphere as opposed to XenServer.
Virtual Infrastructure Admin at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
High availability is good, but during deployment there were issues with the iSCSI multipath setup.

What is most valuable?

The high availability facility.

How has it helped my organization?

Use of this solution has reduced our costs, and we have a collection of over three 42U server rack cabinets.

What needs improvement?

The web management provided by Citrix needs to be improved.

I have used XenServer since 2012.

We had some issues with the iSCSI multipath setup.

Some older versions of the Intel 550 chipset caused some instability with XenServer.

No issues yet.

Customer Service: It's good. Technical Support:…
Director of Infrastructure at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Inexpensive, but hard to maintain

Valuable Features:

Much cheaper than other major Hypervisors (VMware, Hyper-V). Easy to install and use at the beginning.

Room for Improvement:

Hard to maintain system because Xen's management tool (XenCenter) isn't very useful. For example XenCenter does not have any orchestration features (as opposed to SCOM, SCCM, etc.. from MS). However Xen provides APIs to develop other tools. As a result, Xen is cheap but a good value.
Senior Site Infrastructure Engineer at Kurungsiku
Full virtualization solution that you can start with almost zero cost

What other advice do I have?

Good alternative of VMware ESXi, you can use free version to try the product first and perhaps move to the paid version if you need support or you need features that is not available in the free version.
Network Manager at a local government with 51-200 employees
XenServer revolutionized my enterprise to where there is no downtime. Sometimes specific configurations can be difficult.

What other advice do I have?

I use this to host all of my servers and my virtual desktops. This has saved my organization a ton of money. Although there is a high initial cost, it has paid for itself in the long run. If you are planning on doing a VDI solution, I would recommend using the same company for virtualization. For XenDesktop, use XenServer; for Vmware VDI, use ESXI. To test the full features of XenServer, try out the open source equivalent- Xen Cloud Platform.
Network Engineer at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Highly recommended for virtualization, as it deals effectively with data backup, data recovery, and data storage.

What other advice do I have?

Selecting any server virtualization solution, more often than not, relies on the client’s particular needs and on hand development tools & communication. XenServer offers some free, but limited solutions like the licensing, hardware, management applications, and services and characteristics, but support has a high price if the full function version is required. In the case of the free version, XenServer offers an excellent virtualization solution, more so than other servers.
Data Center Expert at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
Xenserver - Opensource virtualization platform, definitely worth testing and exploring

What other advice do I have?

Xenserver provides numerous features like, Xenmotion - live migration of virtual machines, real time performance monitoring, high performance using bare metal installation, and it's all absolutely free. It provides unlimited virtualization . Xenserver has a unique workload balancing technique which captures CPU, memory, network, and disk data. It may lack certain features, but it can satisfy many environments. In my opinion, Xenserver provides better features for free, making it the best for home, lab, and research purposes.
Head of Data Center at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
XenServer Free Virtualization Platform is one of the most full-featured free hypervisors available.

What other advice do I have?

The product is free to download and use. It's also very easy to install and configure. The one good thing about this free and open source product is its very good management software. Other competing products only offer web-based management with limited features, unlike the feature set that XenCenter's management software has to offer.