Citrix ShareFile OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Citrix ShareFile is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Content Collaboration Platforms. It is most often compared to SharePoint: Citrix ShareFile vs SharePoint

What is Citrix ShareFile?
ShareFile is a secure file sync and sharing service that meets the mobility and collaboration needs of users and the security requirements of businesses.

Citrix ShareFile is also known as ShareFile.

Download the Content Collaboration Platforms Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Citrix ShareFile Customers
Exelon, Aer Lingus, Aloysius Stichting, Amnet Technology Solutions, Arup Group Ltd., Brasfield and Gorrie, Cancer Research UK, Carlock, Copeland & Stair LLC, ChanceLightŽ Behavioral Health & Education
Citrix ShareFile Video

Archived Citrix ShareFile Reviews (more than two years old)

ML
Senior Director, Portfolio Management & Operations at Marc Lund CPA
Easy to use and secure enough for personal data, but it is expensive

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to email tax returns to clients.

How has it helped my organization?

This provides us with a secure way of sending tax returns without having to use passwords.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ease of use.

What needs improvement?

My only issue with this solution is the cost, which should be improved.

I have been using this solution for four years.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to email tax returns to clients.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is ease of use.

What needs improvement?

My only issue with this solution is the cost, which should be improved.

I have been using this solution for four years.
it_user2754
IT Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use alternative to FTP with improved security, reporting and Outlook integration

What is our primary use case?

We use ShareFile to share groups of documents (typically architectural projects) with external consultants, clients, contractors, and other parties. When new files are added to a project folder in ShareFile, team members receive a notification of the new files being available. We also use the Outlook integration to enable the sending and receiving of very large files via e-mail.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to ShareFile, we had an FTP site, which was much more challenging to maintain and users had difficulty accessing and understanding the FTP process. Since there was no Outlook integration with FTP, large files had to be manually uploaded to the FTP site and then an e-mail had to be sent letting the intended recipient know that the files were available. ShareFile allows us to easily add new internal (licensed) and external (free) users and give them access to multiple project folders very quickly with a single login. Users can reset their own passwords. Project team members also receive notifications (configurable) when new files are added to the project folders. Admins of the project folders can optional be notified when files are downloaded.

What is most valuable?

Easy to use for all skill levels
No client required (web-based)
Optional clients (Win/Mac) for file synchronization
Integration with Outlook for sending large file attachments
Decent security model for internal employees and external users

Notification (configurable per user) when new files have been added to the site

Logs indicating when files are uploaded and downloaded

Simple account management
Ability to upload large files to specific employee with a simple URL that can be added to signature
No contract or long-term commitment required

What needs improvement?

Reporting features could be better

Support could be better; we don't usually need it but I have read a number of complaints from users with more complex implementations (API use, AD integration) that have had issues.

Web-interface has been altered over time to be more tablet friendly, which reduces the usability on large desktop monitors

More flexible interface options for desktop users

Three to five years.

The site has been unavailable periodically but that's been pretty rare. We have had some issues with the Outlook plug-in but it seems pretty stable overall.

We did originally since there were storage limits based on the licensed user count. We never ran out of space but I had to manage storage much more closely. When we moved to the new pricing model (2015?), the storage allocation was increase dramatically and I haven't had to actively manage storage as a result.

My interactions have gone fine with support in the few times that I've needed to work with them. I've heard some complaints from other customers (via the support portal) but it's been fine for us.

We used a pretty basic FTP site. It was very limited and users struggled with it. We also had some substantial storage limits.

Initial setup was very easy as is creating and managing accounts within the system. ShareFile sends out an activation link to all new users and optionally can send a notification to existing users when they are given access to a new project folder. Installing the Outlook client is easy and simply requires logging into ShareFile the first time Outlook is launched with the client installed.

We did all in-house implementation since it was so easy. I believe the sales person (or maybe a technical consultant) was assigned to me to verify that the process was on track but we didn't have any issues to speak of.

Since it's a monthly subscription with very little upfront cost, we saw a positive ROI immediately. For a few hundred dollars a month, my entire organization (42 users) can effectively share unlimited files with external partners. Since there is no additional cost for external users, we have hundreds of clients, consultants, etc, uploading and sharing files with our internal employees. With notifications enabled, people can know within minutes that a new file has been added to a project.

Our pricing used to be based on user-count, bandwidth and storage. The pricing model has been greatly simplified (user-count, flat storage allocation, unlimited bandwidth) and much more storage (we're at 1TB) is now available. We actually saw a dramatic price decrease as the pricing model changed about two years into our usage. We do pay quarterly, which I think lowers the cost a bit. I think there is some room to negotiate with Citrix. There are some potentially useful add-ons (e.g., document signing) that we don't utilize that adds to the cost.

I don't recall really looking at anything other than perhaps more robust FTP solutions and Sharepoint add-ons. ShareFile offered a turn-key solution that worked quickly and easily at a reasonable price so we didn't have to look far.

What other advice do I have?

There are now very few issues with anyone accessing the files they need to get access to. It is so much better than our previous FTP site. There are certainly some points for improvement but the people at ShareFile have been great.

Find out what your peers are saying about Citrix, Dropbox, Box and others in Content Collaboration Platforms. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rodney Barnhardt
Server\Storage Administrator at Charlotte Pipe and Foundry
You can securely share files externally without storing your data in the cloud.

• "ShareFile gives you all of the features of cloud providers, but in an on-premises solution."
  • "The configuration on the mobile devices is a little clunky, in terms of setting up the application."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily utilize the product to provide file share access to our mobile users on their iPhones and iPads. ShareFile also prevents use from needing to use any public share provider such as DropBox. We are able to share and request files via ShareFile and ensure the are safely transferred.

What is most valuable?

ShareFile gives you all of the features of cloud providers, but in an on-premises solution. Therefore, you can securely share files externally without storing your data in the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to securely share large files by providing external partners the ability to download or upload data. There is also a notification feature that lets the user know a file has been downloaded or uploaded. This prevents someone from saying they did not receive the file.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is fairly straightforward and easy to understand. The configuration on the mobile devices is a little clunky, in terms of setting up the application. For the account information, you need to enter it in the format of domain\user. For example, to get to the "\" on an iPhone, the users must hit the "123" key, then the "#+=" key to get to the "\". It would be better if it accepted a username@domainname format.

We have been using this solution for three years.

There were no issues encountered with the deployment. However, we also utilize Citrix NetScalers, which ease the deployment and configuration of ShareFile.

There have not been any issues with the product's stability.

Since we use a back end NAS to store the files, there has not been a need for any scaling within ShareFile.

Citrix support and customer service has always been excellent.

Citrix technical support for ShareFile has always been excellent. Support for ShareFile is currently based out of Raleigh, NC. This is where ShareFile originated from, before Citrix purchased them.

There was not a previous product used. We were specifically looking for an on-premises solution.

The setup was fairly straightforward, if you are also utilizing NetScalers. I can only speak of setting it up for an on-premises solution. There are certificates that are needed as part of the setup process, so ensure you have checked for those and procured them ahead of time.

The majority of the implementation was performed in-house. Any configuration issues or questions that were encountered were handled with a call to ShareFile support.

The licensing being included as part of our Platinum agreement, and the fact that we utilize existing internal storage, avoids our having to pay for a third-party cloud provider service for our associates to share files externally. It also provides users of mobile devices with secure access to their network shares from their devices. This is extremely helpful to those who travel frequently or who perform presentations from their tablets.

If you are already a Citrix customer, I recommend having the Platinum licensing level, as it provides licensing for a number of various features that all integrate together.

There were really no other on-premises solutions at the time. We were already a major Citrix customer, so no other solutions were evaluated.

it_user613110
Customers can give access to their applications and data, but the data itself won’t leave their data centers

• "The Enterprise Dropbox solution is highly integrated with Microsoft's Office 365 and Azure products."
  • "There are sometimes scalability issues after updates."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We implement this solution at many customer sites which directly affects productivity and gives the customer a very flexible solution. The customers have the possibility to give access to their applications and data, but the data itself won’t leave their data centers.

What needs improvement?

There are sometimes scalability issues after updates.

We have been using this for three years.

I would give technical support a rating of 10 out of 10.

We did not use a previous solution.

In terms of the initial setup, you need a very good concept and have to do the conceptual work before you start implementing. Depending on the concept, the setup could be straightforward.

You have to work hard in order to get the suitable licenses.

We used VMware View in some projects.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is Citrix Gold Partner and a specialist in Networking and Virtualization product lines.
Fazal Ur Rehman Shah
Senior Consultant/Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Provides the ability to share files with vendors/consultants.

What is most valuable?

Securely managing file transfer Ability to share/request files with vendors/consultants

How has it helped my organization?

It provided end users with a secure file-sharing option with which they can share big files.

What needs improvement?

Using the service using mobile devices

I have used it for two years.

Deployment by vendor was not done right. We were looking for a HA solution but it is not configured like that. The vendor configured the server such that, in case the primary server fails, we have to manually configure the secondary server to take over.

We have not encountered any stability…

What is most valuable?

• Securely managing file transfer
  • Ability to share/request files with vendors/consultants

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

• Using the service using mobile devices

I have used it for two years.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is 7/10.

Technical support is 9/10.

We did not previously use a different solution.

We were looking for a HA solution for Citrix ShareFile but the vendor did not configure it properly. We will be redoing the installation and configuration again in the coming months.

We implemented it through a vendor team. It was OK.

I feel that you can buy fewer licenses and either share them amongst users or assign someone to upload the file, and generate link/send email.

Before choosing this product, we did not evaluate other options.

it_user1785
CIO at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to setup, responsive support network, but needs more granular folder ownership admin.

Valuable Features:

Easy to setup across the enterprise with Active Directory support for better managed security. Very responsive support network.

Room for Improvement:

Would like more granular folder ownership administration. For example, have an administrator create an initial user folder structure and then assign ownership to new user.

Valuable Features: