Clarity SM Overview

Clarity SM is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top IT Service Management (ITSM) tools. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: Clarity SM vs ServiceNow

What is Clarity SM?

Service desk capabilities, an integral part of the CA Service Management solution, can enable you to deliver efficiencies in IT service management to business consumers, power users and decision makers. Mobility and collaborative self-service capabilities provide a modern user experience for accessing services and performing tasks, which can help drive user adoption, satisfaction and productivity.

Learn More: https://www.ca.com/us/products...

Clarity SM is also known as CA Service Desk Manager, Clarity Service Management, CA Service Management, Unicenter Service Desk, CA SDM, CA Service Catalog, CA Business Service Insight.

Clarity SM Buyer's Guide

Download the Clarity SM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Clarity SM Customers

Banco G&T Continental City of Perth, FEMSA, Fujitsu, Manpower, Muslim Commercial Bank - MCB, Punjab National Bank, Santa Clara County Social Services, Stefanini

Clarity SM Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

PC
Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
They have a lot of features that you can customize to your organization

What is our primary use case?

The main purpose is for service desk use. It is a repository of information.

• "It has all our configurations. All our infrastructure configurations are on a single pane of glass to view, allowing for one single point of information."
  • "It helps when you have an incident or performing a problem change management process."
  • "The interface for the users is a bit old-fashioned and not user-friendly."
  • "We would like the CMDB to be populated automatically. At the moment, everything is manually created."
  • "We would like more information about all the configurations that we have on our infrastructure side."

What other advice do I have?

It is quite a good product, and it's stable. They have a lot of features that you can customize to your organization. Everything should be automated, because if you are trusting on users to create their information, it will be not the truth on the moment. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Stability of the vendor * Support * How the vendor is positioned in the market.
FB
Security Architect at Netnix
Reseller
Brings all our cases together in one place; we use them as a knowledge base

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is managing incidents and requests from customers. It performs very well.

• "We can search open and closed cases to find what we have done in other incidents."
  • "Needs custom dashboards, without them it takes too long to view some information (though xFlow is an improvement)."

What other advice do I have?

When our company is investing in a new vendor, what is important to us is * support * world-class software. Overall, I would give it an eight out of 10 because it's a good product. I think it can improve some things but it's stable and it's useful. Install it. I think it is easy to use. It's a good tool.
Learn what your peers think about Clarity SM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Principal Consultant at It Consultants
The ability to specify event rules and SLAs helps automate manual processes

What is our primary use case?

I help my clients make best use of the tool in their service management environment. It performs pretty well.

• "Being able to specify event rules and SLAs that can help to automate some of the processes that people are doing manually is valuable."
  • "The fact that it aligns very well with ITIL. I think that's probably one of my favorite things about it, because it's following up a general best practice for service management."
  • "I would also like to see a simpler reporting tool. They went from one fairly robust, very complex, reporting tool - it was great - and then they went to another one that was also fairly complex and robust. That's a great tool for people who are report writers, but for the average person who just wants to get a quick little report, it's like handing somebody a chainsaw because they have to break some toothpicks in half."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the most important criteria would be * stability * reputation within the industry in general * their following of general best practices, like ITIL. I would rate it bordering on nine out of 10. It is an older based tool, it's been around for more than 25 years. They've made improvement, but it still carries with it some of its old roots. Make sure that you are recognizing what your real needs are and not just going go with whatever hype is being presented to you.
JV
Regional IT Coordinator at Novus International
Allows us to handle users personally, gives IT a name and a face in interacting with end-users

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the collection of tickets, to help our end-users, make sure they're taken care of in a timely manner. We Utilize various aspects of it to provide best customer service for them, to get their problems resolved.

• "the ticket system makes sure that everyone gets taken care of, and that makes for a better customer experience. Using the system verifies that no one gets left behind."
  • "It allows IT to handle users on a personal basis. It allows IT to have a name and a face, and we interact with the end-users."
  • "We especially like the look of xFlow. That looks very personal, so they can keep track of how things are going with their ticket, if it has been worked on, what the status of it is. It seems to be a little more user friendly. The user can see more from a distance right away."
  • "The interface is pretty straightforward, but I think for some end-users a little more simplified user interface would help."

What other advice do I have?

We especially like the look of xFlow. That looks very personal, so they can keep track of how things are going with their ticket, if it has been worked on, what the status of it is. It seems to be a little more user friendly. The user can see more from a distance right away. I do recommend CA. Even though it can be complex, there are a lot of aspects to it that are fairly easy. There's a lot of material, CA has a lot of documentation to assist. Personally, I never knew of CA Service Desk at all, or even the name, before I came to this company five years ago. I adopted the system to help with…
Manager Software Engineer at Appriss
Enables us to automate many tasks, and is flexible enough to integrate with many products

What is our primary use case?

We drive all of our operations for our enterprise solutions through Service Desk Manager. It has performed really well.

• "The flexibility and being able to connect to multiple products are valuable. It allows to use it the way we want to use it versus the way it came out of the box."
  • "It has given us the ability to automate a lot of tasks, things we couldn't do before."
  • "Improvements would include simplification in the user interface, being more expandable, better documentation. The user interface is fairly cluttered, and we can update it the way we need to, but it just seems dated."
  • "Although I wasn't involved in the initial setup I have been involved with upgrades. They have been fairly complex. We've had some issues with upgrades where we had to roll back and get some things fixed. Some things that we ended up tracking back to not following directions right, but then other things we've run into issues."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, support is the big one. Also, the capabilities; the fact that it can do what we want it to do. And then expandability, being able to customize it the way we need to. I think the best advice I'd have is to really use the automation features and expandability to be able to make it do things the way you want it to do them. Simplify the way a user has to interact with things by using a lot of automation.
Application Analyst with 10,001+ employees
You can save information in the application and get reports with that information

• "The value for the clients is that you can save information in the application and get reports with that information."
  • "More user experience in the look and feel of the application. ​"

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this version of the product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: the customer service and the quality of the product.
Analytics Agile Methodology Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
When users have a problem, they report using the product and it is very useful for this

What is our primary use case?

There are different products for different purpose. The Service Desk is to take account of incidents and minor requests from the different area of the bank. The PPM is to organize projects. I know that the organization is using Spectrum, but it is out of my scope. The Service Desk has performed very well. I chose it. It was my selection. I managed the implementation of the product. It is a very good product.

• "When users have a problem, they report using Service Desk and it is very useful for this."
  • "All the interactions and orchestrations of every problem, we can analyze what happens in the organization and which kind of incident we have."
  • "Scalability is very good. We have scaled to more users and more functionality."
  • "We need a mobile solution. We are not using any mobile functionality for the product, but we think that this necessary."
  • "The product needs to have a better user experience in the interface and mobile functionality.​"

What other advice do I have?

Choose this product. I recommend this product for different companies. CA presents a case with our implementation. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We can trust him and that he will work to help us.
Buisiness Analyst at Novus International
Gives us a central location to know who is contacting us, what they're contacting us for

What is our primary use case?

We use it in our IT department to connect with our customers. The performance has been excellent.

• "It gives us one central location to know, not only who is contacting us, but what they're contacting us for, what application they're contacting us for."
  • "Just little technical tweaks here and there. Like more options. For example "Organization." We wanted that to be available inside the change order, as well as the ticket and the request. And that's not available."
  • "We went from 12.1 to 14, so there was a lot involved in it. The issues we had were migration issues, getting our information from one place to the next and making sure everything was as everyone needed."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is communication. I like them to be upfront, honest, and transparent. Transparency means, when I call them they're honest about what they have available and what they can do, and not beating around the bush.
GG
Senior Consultant
You can customize it and make it work to the client's needs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mainly for incident problem requests and change management. The overall experience has been pretty good. It is customizable. You can customize it and make it work to the client's needs. Overall, the experience is pretty good.

• "Solution is scalable. It does work. We can modify it up better to make it the way we want it to work. We have implemented it for larger and smaller companies."
  • "Ability to write macros, which can in turn trigger some condition or could be conditioned to basically trigger notifications, the workflow desk, or web calls. It is huge benefit to customize it."
  • "You can customize it and make it work to the client's needs."
  • "​Compared to some of the other products, I think we are bit behind​.​"

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend to install CA. Not only the CA Service Desk Manager tool, but the overall value that CA portfolio products can bring. If you can extend, you can get a grasp of management, you can get into IDCM client management, you can get into more automation and process automation. The more add-on of the features that you can expand into your internal companies capabilities, the better, because CA has so many products. The products are there that is why we work with CA's product suite. Other than the great knowledge of skill set available at CA that can help us guide through the…
Office Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It improves our service delivery process, we're more efficient, but it needs a facelift

What is our primary use case?

Incident request, problem, and change management.

• "It improves our service delivery process. We're more efficient. We're leveraging the ticketing system, which is always more efficient, so we can measure and improve."
  • "The user interface is just boring. I'd like to see a more interactive UI, from the end-user perspective, and from the analyst's perspective. I would like a product that looks like it was developed maybe in 2015, or at least 2012."
  • "We just upgraded about a year and half ago and it was painful. We had the testing of the dev environment, and then testing of the production environment, so it was two weekends out of my life. And stuff broke."

What other advice do I have?

For me the most important criteria when selecting a vendor is quality, because if the quality's not there then it's my time; quality of the vendor's service that they provide. If they're going to upgrade, I expect them to do the testing. Cost is a concern, but I'm already paying out the nose. I heard an industry analyst say this once, and this is very true: No one likes their ticketing system. Everybody wants another one. It's just a difficult space. However, I would look for something that users want to use, and if you can get that amount of self-service tickets to rise, your cost of support…
Ca System Admin at MGM Resorts International
Easy to use for admins and end-users, with flexibility to give our users what they need

What is our primary use case?

Right now we have our IT analysts, about 500 users, that use Service Desk Manager primarily. They put in tickets, requests, incidents, and then track changes. Those are our use cases for it right now.

• "It also provides the front end for the employees too. It's pretty basic, but it gives them the means to reach out to IT so they don't have to pick up the phones."
  • "There is a lot of flexibility in the system. There has not yet been a case where we've had people come to us and say, "Hey, can you guys do this?" and we can't. Some of it is obviously a little bit more complicated at times, but the flexibility in the system provides a lot."
  • "Our users access it via the web. We have external and internal sources, and we're now introducing the mobile app portion so our computer engineers can respond to tickets remotely."
  • "The use, from administrative stance, is pretty simple; and even from an analyst and employee's stances. It's an easy to use system, as far as ticketing systems go, because some of them can be really inundating and complex."
  • "Right now, you have to create the Scoreboards individually for roles or users. If they could separate that functionality, and create the scoreboards separately, and then just link scoreboards to roles and users - that way you could reuse the same ones - that would be a huge benefit. I know, because they're a nightmare to manage at times."

What other advice do I have?

Our users access it via the web. We have external and internal sources, and we're now introducing the mobile app portion so our computer engineers can respond to tickets remotely. We're not currently using xFlow. I'm trying to push my boss to use it because I think there are benefits of having everything right there in your face. Service Desk right now, you have to really get into the tickets in order to get to some of the stuff that xFlow has puts right there. Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor is seeing their desire and interest in making sure they understand what we need…
Programmer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is easy to tell what needs fixing and the priority of things

What is our primary use case?

It is mostly used for support. If customers have issues, they log tickets and the issues hopefully get fixed. It works well for this. We do some things a little strange as you can customize everything, so it has to handle different things, and it also does this well.

• "It is easy to tell what needs fixing and the priority of things."
  • "The upgrade was pretty complex."

What other advice do I have?

Get a demo. Try it out. See how it works. I have been surprised by how many products CA has. We also use Agile Central, which used to be Rally. We just started to use it in the last year and a half, probably, so we are fairly new. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Bigger companies are usually better, just because there is other help online if you have issues. We have some vendors that we might be one of five customers if something breaks, and there is really no community to help. It always helps to have a good community around the vendor
Enterprise Application Administer
It has helped us to organize a lot of our assets

What is our primary use case?

We use it as our ticketing system, as well as our ability to use CMDB and change management, and for our incident request management. It has performed very well in these functions. We have been using it for eight years now.

• "It has helped us to organize a lot of our assets, so we have configuration items to attach to our change management. We can have tickets for change management and set them aside for an approval process."
  • "We would like to see them integrate more of a service catalog, which is more of an Amazon-type fill in your bucket, then sign in, once you decide what you want."
  • "​We would like to see them revamp, or rework, a lot of their configuration management database structures. We hear that is on the horizon."

What other advice do I have?

Engage with consultants from the vendor at the very beginning. Learn the product, then train yourself to work on it. It is something you can work on yourself with a lot less consultation from the vendor. Also, take small steps before you start beginning with different parts of the tool. Do not try to bite off too much, as a lot of companies will try to do. Start with one, then work your way towards the others. We are currently not using xFlow yet, but it is something we are going to take a hard look at as to whether or not it will be useful for us. Most important criteria when selecting a…
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Efficient problem/change management, but we don't have the required internal support for it

What is our primary use case?

It's our primary ITSM tool for managing problem chains and incident management. I think it's performed okay. I've been with PenFed for a couple of years. I think one of the drawbacks is that we have adequate support within PenFed.

• "It has allowed us to be more efficient in our problem and change management processes and procedures."

What other advice do I have?

Personally, my most important criteria when selecting a vendor are * stability * reliability * scalability * good technical support. I give it a six out of 10 overall, and that's because I haven't really seen us be able to exploit a lot of the functionality that exists within the tool, because of limited resources internally to support it. Stay current with versioning and make sure that you're exploiting all of the functionality that exists within the tool so that you're getting the most out of the tool for the money that you're paying for it.
    Senior Knowledge Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

Knowledge management. Most of the idle functionality, incident, change requests, and knowledge.

• "We have decreased training and talk time, and all those good stats, just by reusing information, not reinventing it, every time we get a call."
    • "We centralized our knowledge from various sources into one source of truth that is continually updated."
    • "It has a good GUI interface."
    • "The integration between the ticketing and knowledge is huge, because that is a best practice. The knowledge is great. It is simple but efficient, and it works.​"
    • "They really want user names in the document owner and subject expert fields, and that is just not practical."
    • "On permissions, there are options to do groups and options to do roles. What is practical, you have to pick one or the other, for both read and write permissions."

What other advice do I have?

It is very comprehensive. You can use it for the whole idle range of processes, including idle. It integrates pretty well with your contacts and the tickets. The integration between the ticketing and knowledge is huge, because that is a best practice. The knowledge is great. It is simple but efficient, and it works. We are on an older version. I did look at the newer version in the self-training. The old version looks older, and the new one looks a little newer. It is more integrated. It sounds more mobile. So, it sounds like they have made a lot of the improvements that we do not have in our…
    IT Support Tech at Value Drug
    We are benefiting by being able to put time to what our technicians are doing. However, I am not able to see tickets on a bigger scale.

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a help desk ticket. Anytime users have a problem, they can go in, put the ticket in, and we are able to track what the technicians do.

• "We are benefiting by being able to put time to what our technicians are doing."
    • "I am not able to see tickets on a bigger scale. I can't see the overall bigger picture."

What other advice do I have?

Not being part of the process when we choose this product, because I have only been with the company for a year. In any kind of software like this, if you can take it for a test drive, because we did change software at my old job, that is a real good key or determining factor as to whether or not you like the software. Take the software for a test drive in your work environment.
    Manager Network Operations Center
    Keeps all our changes in one place, management can see how they cross pollinate with CMDB

What is our primary use case?

Change management. We use it to control changes throughout the company. Developers submit change orders and it flows through to QA, and then on to our production deploy. We use CMDB to be sure we understand the impact to changes. So, the focus is for auditing and reducing changes that break things. That's how we use it. It's performed well. It's a reliable product.

• "The view it provides into who's doing the work."
    • "If I had to choose, it would be more around the user interface than the mobile experience."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, what's important to me is * a company that's financially stable * I like leaders in their industry; I think CA is one of those * a company that is agile and responsive to our needs. I give it a seven out of 10, only. The three that I'm not giving it is just because it is such a legacy product. I would tell colleagues to evaluate everything. One of the reasons we are going to be reluctant to remove from Service Desk is because it is so entrenched, it would be such a big deal. However, if I had a clean slate, I would advise someone to evaluate all the competitors…
    Systems Analyst
    Technical support is very helpful and willing to go above and beyond

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for the product is the help desk, and it has performed okay. It is working as it is designed.

What other advice do I have?

It has been very functional for what we will be using it for. You want to keep in mind what your end goal is; what you want to accomplish would probably be the biggest thing. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: In this case, it was the support that made the big decision on who we went with. We also considered cost, ease of use, and flexibility.
    Service Architect at SANDVIK IT Global Shared Services
    The connections between incidents, changes, and problems give us visibility and control

What is our primary use case?

We use the tool for many processes. Incident problem, change, config, and knowledge. So it's very important for us, and it's used very much and it will increase in importance for us. There are 47,000 employees at Sandvik who do need these systems for IT processes. It's operated in one company, a supporting IT company. It's in one place and the whole global organization at Sandvik is using this for IT incident problems. It's a central solution for Sandvik.

• "Right now, we are starting to be dependent on the CMDB a lot."
    • "We talk a lot about the idea that Service Desk Manager should be more "service" oriented, not just ticket oriented."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of the important criteria when researching products and vendors, I don't know really, because I haven't been involved with that many new products. We know that if we want to have another system, it's an advantage to have another module from CA, so that we are increasing the product family from CA. Perhaps this has been an approach. It costs too much if we try to connect to others. But I haven't involved in the other investments in the system, actually. I give it a six out of 10, but that depends; it is our fault because we are, perhaps, not using the tool as we should. It's not just…
    Software Manager
    It has made us a lot more organized, and a lot more aware of what needs to happen

What is our primary use case?

* We have our AT side, which we use for our service desk. * We use it for our software development lifecycle. * We use it for our CIS Admin change, so any kind of changes that are happening. * We also have a CRM system that was built a hundred years ago. * It is used to manage our resorts, and our resort operations, and then also our call centers.

• "The database and the power that is driven behind the database."
    • "The UI needs to be upgraded."

What other advice do I have?

It does what it is supposed to do. I can make it do more than it is supposed to do. I can customize it as I want. Most of the time the customizations will upgrade, but if they do not, I can reach out to people and find a different solution. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Whether or not they are going to help me.
    Systems Enginee
    Helps reduce downtime and mean time to repair but API needs a lot of work

What is our primary use case?

I function inside of CMDB, Chain Configuration Management Data Base. I use it to work with our change management process, or configuration management process. To reduce down time, mean time to repair, audit functionality. Pretty much everything within CMDB, which is a subset of Service Desk.

• "It's fairly easy to use, from a UI standpoint."
    • "I would like to see the API cleaned up."

What other advice do I have?

I've been a part of PoCs at our company. When looking to invest in a vendor, the criteria include * cost - obviously a big concern * functionality - if it's going to work within the tools that we have now. We're really big into automation, so integrating with other tools that we have is important. And CA - since we use so many of their products, between the mainframe, Service Desk - we really do use quite a bit of what they have. So they have a leg up as far as that goes. I've worked with quite a few different products, from ServiceNow to Remedy, a lot of ticketing systems and the like. This…
    Assistant Programmer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Presents our information the way we need to use it but needs better role definition

What is our primary use case?

Working problem tickets and change orders.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor our most important criteria are support, stability, and availability of the product in the future. Just make sure it has all the features that you're looking for in your particular environment.
    Vice President of Infrastructure Management at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    The workflow engine, knowledge base, SLA calculation and customisation are areas that need to be improved. The out-of-the-box functions and ITIL compatibility are good features.

• "Logging every action in Service Desk Manager (SDM)."
    • "The SDM administration and customisation needS deep information about architecture and vendor support continuously."

What other advice do I have?

Find a local partner, one that has full competence on this product, or take extensive training for your technical crew about the product from global vendor. Understand the strengths and weaknesses of product and evaluate these with your needs. If it needs more customisation, think twice. However, there is a huge difference between the reviewed version and the recent version of this product. The newer version is far better than the reviewed version. Do not forget that this review has been given for version 12.9. (This review has been shared while version 14.x has been in market.)
    Pre-Sales/System Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    It's adaptable; you can codify and change almost everything. The tool is regularly updated.
    Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Based on certain ticket attributes, the heat of tickets is calculated and the list is sorted so analysts are always working on the highest-priority tickets.

• "The new xFlow interface that was introduced for Level 1 analysts really helps the them to achieve the best and fastest result for their users/customers."
    • "The methodology introduced for Level 1 analysts needs to be taken to Change Management Process. It would be useful to be able to look in Change Management and see the current status of the process."

What other advice do I have?

It provides great possibilities. To get the most value out of the solution, make sure to get your people in service management and administrators trained.
    Data Administrator at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    This product has many adjustment possibilities for different clients.

• "This product has so many adjustment possibilities for many different clients."
    • "One area that this product can improve is in the mobile user aspect."

What other advice do I have?

Plan every step you need for implementation. Always look forward to every step that your client would need in order to get there.
    Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    We use it for incident, knowledge, and configuration management. The reporting ability of the tool needs to improve drastically.

What other advice do I have?

The needs an improvement with its UI which looks old school. The product also is quite complex to implement. However the framework it uses is quite scalable and the product can be customized a lot.
    Lead ,Managed Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The remote connection feature has a chat functionality. The knowledge base acts as a self-service support tool.

What other advice do I have?

CA Service Desk is built around the ITIL methodology and would help to improve all organizational processes starting from incidents/problems/request, knowledge management, CMDB, etc.
    Support Analyst, Lead at Sonda IT
    The integration of remote access to tickets and the ease of customizations helps analysts and administrators to always provide the best service according to the needs of the business.

• "Modules of integrated ITIL managers."
    • "They need to improve the High Availability, and the native integration between CA Service Desk Manager, CA Process Automation, CA Service Catalog and CA Unified Self-Service."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to get to know the product very well in relation to ITIL processes. A lot of customization only exists because we do not know the product at that level. The manufacturer's documentation "Content Pack for ITIL" is required reading even if the company is not a service provider. I am enthusiastic about ITSM solutions. In addition to CA products, I know of LANDesk Service Desk, OTRS, Octopus, Zendesk, Microsoft System Center Service Manager, Axios Assyst and BMC Remedy. All of these solutions are excellent and have lots of documentation with the best implementation practices, both the…
    Support Analyst, Lead at Sonda IT
    Integrates easily with CA Service Desk Manager.

What is most valuable?

Ease of integration with CA Service Desk Manager Account setup

How has it helped my organization?

New usage approach for end users

What needs improvement?

Access to services

I have used it for two years.

Low customer maturity in ITIL processes

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is excellent. Technical Support: Technical support is excellent.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

Support Analyst, Lead at Sonda IT
    Brings collaboration and support, facilitating the work of analysts

What other advice do I have?

The training of analysts and a campaign to demonstrate end user benefits and functionality is very important.
    Sr. Director, IT Service Management at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
    Quick capture of ticket info lends itself to resolution and/or assignment to other groups.

What other advice do I have?

Develop a process first, then apply the tool and minimize customizations.
    Head IT Operations at ICBC Argentina
    The most valuable feature is interconnectivity with other CA products.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to have all the procedures well-documented, have a sponsor for this project and have good relations with CA and a partner. They will help you to define and implement this solution.
    Analyst at a tech services company
    Provides out-of-the-box integration with other CA Service Management modules and aligns with ITIL processes.

What other advice do I have?

* The product aligns to the ITIL process. * All modules are integrated: Incident, Request, Problem, Change Order, and CMDB. * The Service Catalog makes it easy for the end user to log a ticket. * It is role based: easily manage the analyst based on their role; e.g., level 1 analyst, level 2 analyst. * Unified administrator task.
    Development Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
    With major incident tracking, we are able to differentiate between a normal and a major incident.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure you do an out-of-the-box implementation. We have learned from upgrades that customizations cause a lot of issues during upgrades.
    Sr Application Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Change Management, Incident Management, and CMDB are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Automated our manual business processes

What needs improvement?

IT PAM Workflow could be improved.

I have used it for 10 years. We use CA Service Desk 12.9 and IT PAM 4.3.

There were some stability issues.

We did not encounter any scalability issues.

Technical support was fair.

I am not interested in sharing this information.

Pricing is good…
    Global Manager, CA Solutions at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The change module provides controls, visualization, and auditability. The suite has grown too large.

What other advice do I have?

If you are going to DIY this implementation, I recommend thorough planning with your IT team. Be sure you have the right engineers, and that they have at least attended the CA SM Admin course (4- or 5-day class). I mentioned earlier that CA training is not the best; however, this course is a necessity if you are going to self-implement. This is not a weekend project. Take it seriously; plan 8-2 weeks for yourself from the moment you build the VMs to the go-live date.
    Senior Computer Specialist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Extensibility of the interface allows for schema changes. The individual user should have the ability to determine what notification types they want to subscribe to and how they want to be notified.

What other advice do I have?

Ensure that your organization has robust business processes in place for the feature sets that you would like to implement. Organizations that expect the tool to define the business process can expect a very difficult deployment.
    Information Technology Analyst at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
    Ticket management and the knowledge base are the most valuable features of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

Do not over-customize it, given the fact that it could directly impact the tool's stability and data reliability.
    Sr. Team Lead, Perioperative Services at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    Advanced Availability architecture is the key feature.

What other advice do I have?

Take the implementation class that CA offers. It is key to have certain aspects figured out ahead of time, as they will impact the system heavily, as time goes on.
    Director of Applications and Business Intelligence at a government with 10,001+ employees
    Provides management of service calls and work assignments. The UI needs to be intuitive and efficient.

What other advice do I have?

Look into the SaaS offering from CA and compare. While CA Service Desk has rich functionality and is stable, its skin is old and cumbersome.
    Specialist
    The flexible envelope provides many ways to customize it.

What other advice do I have?

The system covers all of our enterprise needs. However, in order to adapt it to your business needs, you will need to have an experienced staff. Familiarize it with your enterprise and with Service Desk's undocumented methods and routines, such as SPEL, WAND, and overall daemon logic.
    IT Operations and Services at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    You can make your own tables and add fields.

What other advice do I have?

This product is ready to go as is. It can be customized, but you need a dedicated administrator to manage customizations.
    Student at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    The Reporting and Dashboards components allow you to measure customer contracts.

What is most valuable?

Multitenancy does not require a standalone implementation per customer. Reporting and Dashboards are components which allow you to measure customer contracts.

How has it helped my organization?

We can use the same installation for several and independent customers (multi-tenancy). ITIL processes.

What needs improvement?

I would like more flexibility on KPI and SLA definition.

I have used the product for 6+ years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I would give technical support a score of 6/10. …
    Sr. System Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
    The request, change, and asset management features are valuable to us.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you have your processes ready so that the implementation will be easier.
    System Architect ITSM application at Michigan State University
    Leaderboard
    Certain parts of it are expandable and customizable. The UI looks dated.

What other advice do I have?

Go in with an open mind. CA sometimes has a negative connotation just because it's a big company. Go in with an open mind and work with the sales person. Get one of their technical assets onboard so he can take a look and see what the system can do, because there's a lot more that it can do than what they actually try to sell you. Just go in with an open mind. If I would have rated it a year or two ago, I would have rated it lower, because I felt like CA just totally gave up on ITSM service management portion. They kind of said, "Oh, well. You know, it's out there and that's it." Honestly, for…
    Sr. Software Developer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    Integrates change management, incident management, problem management, and CMDB.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor like CA is just the recognition; the support provided for it. I want to have support from a company and CA just delivers that. My rating is basically based mostly on the integration; to try out a new solution, and we chose service management; the process integration. How many solutions can give you that process integration together in just one tool? Most of the tools are just for tickets, incidents, or problems, but they don't give you the whole package together.
    Senior System Engineer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
    The SLA escalation feature is accurate and helps manage the services delivered.

What other advice do I have?

For organizations that are beyond the startup phase but are still not very huge, this is the ticketing system to choose.
    Project Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is secure, scalable and there are customization possibilities. They need to get rid of Flash.

What other advice do I have?

A customer comment after our sales presentation (CA Service Desk Manager + CA Control Minder): "We have finally found a vendor who is serious about security."
    Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The most valuable features are the service catalog and process automation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the service catalog and process automation; in deployment, the ICT automation and self-service.

How has it helped my organization?

Self-consumption of services by end-users Standardization Automation with increased effectiveness

What needs improvement?

I would like to see integration between the service management products and consolidated application of patches.

We have used this solution for five years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I encountered issues with scalability. The solution is 32-bit.

I…
    Director de Servicios at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Automatic functions allow us to implement business rules by configuring the tool, without code.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend evaluating the tool with companies that have already implemented it. It is very important that you can find references that can be consulted. You want to know about their time of experience in the market, whether they are certification tested with the manufacturer with an expert level, and are a reliable business partner for implementation.
    Applications Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We are able to gather information either directly from the product interface or from data extraction.

What other advice do I have?

You need to plan ahead and talk with the CA installation support in order to define as many of the user areas as possible, prior to beginning the setup. This can help you have an easier method in setting up areas such as ticket categories and workflow steps. Otherwise, there could be a delay in installation while these are defined.
    Data Administrator at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    Owing to the integration with BI, we can create reports to modify our processes.

What other advice do I have?

Plan every step that you need to implement and always look ahead to what your client would need in order to get there.
    Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    The process automation component cuts down on the workload of teams, and organizational and clerical work.

What other advice do I have?

The product works very well when using all the recommended apps with it. I suggest using the recommended or preferred hardware and OS for the product so your life will be a lot easier.
    Senior Application Support Engineer at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    When you want to find other tickets that relate to the incident you're working on, the search usability is valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Have resources available and people who are dedicated to the product. When we select a vendor, we look for a company that's a leader in their industry, or somebody who has the backing to support the product that they sell.
    Systems Administrator at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
    We integrated all our processes into one and allowed us to retire custom-built solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Try not to bite off more than you can chew. Try not to piecemeal. We emphasize a partnership with the vendor and their ability to understand our business. The more they understand about our business and our goals, the better aligned we are. It is not always just about the technology or whatever the functionality is.
    IT Executive - Application Development at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have integrated it fully from servicing the customer to he network configuration. We want more visibility into how the network layers are linked.

What other advice do I have?

What helped us is that at the beginning is that we had a lot of offshore support. The best is to get CA onshore support. Then they understand the culture of the company. It's not only from a documentation point-of-view. They understand how to interact with different people. I recommend this even if you are based abroad. A local presence for us meant a lot.
    Sr. Service Desk Analyst - NSD Incident Management at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It serves as a cross-reference for other tracking tools we use in our daily work. It’s always bothered me how you need two steps to close a ticket.
    Incident Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Users can now log calls themselves, instead of needing Service Desk administrators to do it. It should offer automated email logging.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution for service desks.
    IT Service Management Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    You can fit ITIL incident management into the Incident Management module. Ticket event and notification creation/management is cumbersome.

What other advice do I have?

The tool supports several of the ITIL processes. Plan the implementation such that when other functions/processes (inter-related as well as non-interrelated such as ITAM, CMDB) are to be brought online, the initial implementation solution does not need to be re-engineered.
    Senior Consultant at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Important features are Incident/Request/Problem/Change Management, CMDB, and Business Intelligence.

What other advice do I have?

For the first step, before deciding on a product, first make a detailed analysis of your internal processes and establish a list of key functionalities and requirements. Present your requirements to the reseller/vendor and get details about how they can be implemented in the solution. A big advantage of this solution is that with a proper definition of the processes, almost anything can be configured & scripted.
    CTO at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    Robust, highly configurable, scalable and extendable.

What other advice do I have?

Understand Requirements and ITSM Processes for the required organization and identify the process stakeholders. Then, schedule a phased deployment, e.g. Asset and Configuration Management first, then Request, Incident, and Problem Management, then finally Change Management. You should consider solution architecting and conduct Training for the end user.
    Senior Consultant at a tech company with 51-200 employees
    CA is seen as an experienced, reliable partner. The product suffers from poor design decisions and implementation in some areas.

What other advice do I have?

Contact CA and get a 30-day trial license. You'll get to see the product and play around it. It will not be enough to implement any custom features you want apart from the very basic ones, but at least you can get a feel of it. Additionally, you could hire a consultant to evaluate the suitability for your business, assuming you have the service management processes mapped out already. If you have no established processes and you can implement whatever process the tool can support, then you're good to go and it's only a matter of comparing the prices.
    IT Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    The Visualizer automatically affects the map based on relationships. Personal Response is helpful in following a standard format across teams.

What other advice do I have?

It pretty much does the work it’s intended to.
    Technical Team Manager at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We have had no issues scaling it globally throughout our company.

• "The tool itself is valuable as a result of all its features combined. Therefore, I have found that there is no feature more valuable than another."
    • "Ease of support and upgrades need much improvement."

What other advice do I have?

Most vendors will tell you that you don't need a full time dedicated person or team to support and administer their system, but you really do, especially if you are going to utilize everything it has to offer. This person should understand the code, since some supported changes are made at the form level by changing or adding to the code.
    Founder | Business Operations Performance Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The most valuable features for us are the ability to calculate service levels for different time periods as well as the ability to store and archive contracts.

What other advice do I have?

Plan what information is needed for reporting before entering contracts and metrics for calculation. Have a visual basic developer on your team to script business logics used for metric calculations.
    Lead Operations Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    Several of the benefits that we've seen have been the ease of use, the implementation of it, and the actual transition from our existing solution.

What other advice do I have?

Rating: I would definitely say it's an eight. I'm not going to be super positive and super negative but it's an 8/10.
    Director of Technical Operation Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    Provides us with a framework to be able to deliver reporting and metrics.

What other advice do I have?

We looked for, obviously, how does it work within the Idle framework. What kind of information do you get from it? How easy is it to report against? Metrics are key to any IT business. What about the automations, what kind of automations does it have already built in and what automations can you build in. When we were looking at the different companies that were out there, we looked for the company that was going to best meet all those criteria. Price, the cost of it, was important, but it was not the key decision. We had a very flexible FrontRange system that had lots of data, but we were…
    CA Administrator at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Video Review
    The integration with our monitoring products and other solutions is key for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would probably rate it a nine and mainly just because the fact that I would like to see more modules included in service desk. Again I keep going back to integration. Really look at everything you use and how you can integrate those together, really evaluating that and how easy it is because everybody will tell you they can integrate and for the right amount of money, everybody can. You really want the ease of integration. We were already using Spectrum. It was an easy option there because of the fact the integration was so easy. The integration with X matters that we were already using made…
    IT Operations Lead Analyst at Belk
    Video Review
    The end-user experience is most important to us because we have both IT and non-IT users submitting requests.

What other advice do I have?

We have a lot of end-user feedback that can contribute to improvements with the tools. The way that it's designed, we have a lot of recommendations based on end-user experience that can really contribute to improving the tool for an end-user experience. The tools are very IT focused, and we just need to incorporate more of the end-user experience when designing the tool. That input could be very valuable to CA. I don't think anything is a 10/10, I would give it an 8/10. Best practices would be absolutely involving all of your processes before implementing the tool. You have to design the tool…
    Chief Customer Officer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
    Video Review
    The most valuable features that we're finding right now are the customer service portal and the ability to have a one stop shop experience.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's a 7 or 8/10 given that it certainly does what we needed to do, but I don't know if it's anything spectacular. It seems like it integrates things rather than really operates in more new and modern ways that I think the current population wants. Maybe that's a perfect fit for the state employees or a mixture of that, but I think that we would want to see continual improvement and really think differently in a way that mobility needs to operate. I think I would really look at the business process first and then what are you willing to do and what are you willing to change. There are…
    Engineer Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    The Service Catalog integration for service delivery is a feature that we find useful.

What other advice do I have?

Make the most of the documentation, this is essential and would be my only advice for this product. First, make user experience your focus. Second, get Service Configuration for this.
    Applications Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's been helpful for us when we've had to make a lot of bulk changes, bulk uploads, and import/exports of data. But when we want to customize something, we can't do it easily and it's not intuitive.
    Director of IS Portfolio Management at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's provided us many, if not all, of the tools that we're looking to use and implement in our system. We can't, however, simultaneously perform Quick Incident and Quick Request.
    Business Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    It integrates well with other solutions on the CA platform as they're all designed to work together, though its biggest weakness is the user interface.

What other advice do I have?

Determine what the impact would have on your organization and how it needs to operate. There's this fundamental change that comes with buying a platform like this. Don't assume that you can just put Service Catalog out there. If you really want to take advantage of the entire suite, there's a significant organizational impact on how you manage, your job descriptions, all of it. It's recognizing what it is up front before you make a purchase.
    Business Process Management Consultant at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    We've been able to manage the expectations of 180,000 users as if they were just one, although it still requires very technical developers where it shouldn't have to in 2015.

What other advice do I have?

Understand what you're buying. If you're talking about just implementing Service Catalog and committing service delivery processes and automation, the organization can take the approach and adopt the strategy of, we're going to go and listen to our customers about what services they want and listen to our operations staff about how they want to operate and how they want to speak and how they want to do things. And that's a very highly flexible Business Process and Management suite. This is not that. This is, essentially, an ERP system for IT. There's going to be a certain element where the…
    Director, Development Teams at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We use it to fulfill requests from customers whether they are incidents or new requests. The reporting is not as agile as we'd like it to be.
    Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Whereas other products are very confusing, it's easy to maneuver around in it and it's user friendly. The more customizations you do to it, the less stable it becomes.

What other advice do I have?

You don't have to go for the newest item out there. There's reliability, stability in maybe some of the older tools as well.
    Solution Architect with 10,001+ employees
    Problem management and SDF management are great features and really improve our day-to-day functions.

What other advice do I have?

CA is very good in both the implementation and operation phases. We've been very pleased.
    IT Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    I can integrate process management, release, and change into our programs. The initial setup and integration was complex.
    MS Director at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    The self-service capabilities for our customers has quickly improved our organization. It needs financial solutions that we can use for all projects we undertake.

What other advice do I have?

It’s very simple, fast, and has great support for the tools.
    Senior Service Manager at State of Colorado
    If you enter the information correctly, you can get a lot of data out of it, including trending information. The reporting is not the easiest.

What other advice do I have?

Just make sure when you are putting the project together, especially on the server side, that you have the right people in the room to ask the right questions because sometimes not required personnel are there. The right people are your server people, specifically, management-level server people.
    Senior Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It provides all users with a scoreboard where they can track incidents, requests, or change orders they're responsible for. I'd like enhancements to how it integrates with process automation.

What other advice do I have?

Really, really learn the admin functions.
    Senior Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We anticipate that it will replace our request management system, which we've got now in Service Desk, with a more cart-type system, though the documentation could improve a bit.
    Service Desk Team Lead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's easy to look up tickets, requiring less clicks compared to CSM, but it seems to crash often on our servers and I'm not sure why.

What other advice do I have?

Seeing all the demos at CA World, it has a lot of potential, that we, again, did not make use of. So, it's like, oh, it could do that, really? From what I saw with the demos is that there are a lot of functionalities out there. For example, the new 14.1 version seems to scale more with customers. So, if you're looking for more customer-facing input, I would say that it would probably do it.
    System Administrator III at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The ticket incidents and requests management are the most valuable features for us. However, the level of support needs to be improved.
    Manager IT Service Support at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It's helped us integrate parts of our organization with features such as conflict resolution and incident management. However, I'm eager to see the mobile app coming with v14.
    QA Lead at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Service Catalog is one place where you can do things for the entire organization, although stability has been OK, not great, as it's determined by the servers.

What other advice do I have?

Use the newer version to get the full support.
    Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It allows us to define not only SLAs, but actions and notifications in time during the ticket processing, although some improvements are needed in the support and security offered for mail servers.

What other advice do I have?

You won’t regret implementing it. If you have a medium or a large amount of ticketing activity, you will see the true benefits this system is giving to your business. But, keep in mind that you will need a dedicated resource to maintain the flows as they are changing in your activity, the policies, and the system itself. This is because when you customize it, and things are changing, you need someone to implement these changes, and since the system is so flexible, also there are a lot of possibilities.
    Specialist IT Service Management at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
    We've established a more organized dynamic and can better plan activities. However, CMDB and the UI, especially for extracting reports, could be improved.

What is most valuable?

Service Desk Knowledgebase CMDB Change Calendar

How has it helped my organization?

It established a more organized dynamic and the ability to better plan activities.

What needs improvement?

CMDB and the user interface, especially for extracting reports, could be improved.

Almost a year.

No issues encountered.

Yes, but we are using an older version that can cause this.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's satisfactory. Technical Support: It's satisfactory.

Which solution did I

Member of itSMF Portugal Board at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Pros: can integrate and make complex calculation; Cons: UI is not perfect

Valuable Features:

Unique tool that can get data from any other tool, correlate, make complex formulas to calculate SLAs/KPIs, calculate penalty/bonus, alerts, dashboards, automatic reporting, unbeatable for SLM.

Room for Improvement:

UI is not perfect, but maybe with Jaspersoft.

Use of Solution:

6 years
    CTO at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
    CA's Service Catalog is an outdated product
    Operations Expert at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
    Great flexibility for every environment, but minor issues creep up including product stability

Valuable Features:

Great flexibility for every environment and many features are available. This product is great for the customer, starting with just Request Management or the full Service Management suite.

Room for Improvement:

Minor issues creep up and create huge problems. Product stability is also an issue.
    Manager of Operations at a outsourcing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Not that good

Valuable Features:

One of it's kind. Delivers all flavors of SLM reports

Room for Improvement:

Doesn't scale well. No real-time reporting. Need lots of investment to have it integrated and running in your environment.

Other Advice:

If you are a small company it might fit your needs, but as soon you step up and need more infrastructure, services, customers and you data volumes grow, you are stuck!
    Download our free Clarity SM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Quick Links