Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Overview

Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Hadoop tools. It is most often compared to Amazon EMR: Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop vs Amazon EMR

What is Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop?
Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop is the world's most complete, tested, and popular distribution of Apache Hadoop and related projects. CDH is 100% Apache-licensed open source and is the only Hadoop solution to offer unified batch processing, interactive SQL, and interactive search, and role-based access controls. More enterprises have downloaded CDH than all other such distributions combined.
Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Buyer's Guide

Download the Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Customers
37signals, Adconion,adgooroo, Aggregate Knowledge, AMD, Apollo Group, Blackberry, Box, BT, CSC
Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Vice President - Big Data and Delivery at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Cloudera Manager is a good tool to administer. Sometimes it gets confusing to follow a single path for installation.

What other advice do I have?

It is user friendly and installation is pretty straightforward. Cloudera Manager is a good tool to administer it. However, configuration for specific requirements is sometimes pretty complex. You should have a team which is knowledgeable in Hadoop. Do keep in mind that the product is still maturing so there are good chances that you will come across unexpected issues now and then.
Data Consultant with 10,001+ employees
Features like Hive, Pig, Impala, Flume and Spark are valuable to us.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared for fast changing landscape in how Hadoop works under the hood and how it is used. Each major release usually involved change of file system and data structure. How would they impact data migration. Ask questions like should they Upgrade or create a new cluster? Plans for training and skill upgrades.
Learn what your peers think about Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
502,104 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director of Data Management at a media company with 51-200 employees
It gives us improved business intelligence reporting from daily to every two hours.

What other advice do I have?

Do thorough research and ensure your use-cases or scale does not conflict with the system requirements and that those features that would make a difference are supported.
Team Lead / Data Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​The Cloudera Manager administrator webpage simplifies the administration tasks.

What other advice do I have?

I am very comfortable with this product. The combination of Cloudera Manager administrator server, which allows the management of the Hadoop Cluster, and the Hue server, which simplifies the use make this product a current standard on the market. Perhaps it lacks a full integration of all its components.
R&D Solutions Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
It has good ease of use in terms of integration within the Hadoop ecosystem related products.

What other advice do I have?

Cloudera is doing a great job in the field offering an enterprise ready data platform. Based on my experiences I would definitely recommend it.
Consultant at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
The Cloudera Hadoop manager eased the work of orchestrating scripts.

What other advice do I have?

Do a comparisomn with Hortonworks as it's always good to compare to another major vendor
Data/Big Data Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We were trying AWS Impala as well, but Cloudera won as it had more functionality with HUE, Sqoop, and Solr as built-in functions. At times, heavy queries do not finish at all.

What other advice do I have?

Cloudera is good for mid to big company, but small ones can use AWS Impala/HUE. Go to training, or you are going to spend many hours to find short answers. The Cloudera solution is big with good documentation, but you need to know what and where to read first.
Director of Data Architecture at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
It has enabled us to move BI out of our OLTP database and build a data warehouse, but although Spark under rapid development, it needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

Cloudera Manager Impala Sentry

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to move BI out of our OLTP database and build a data warehouse.

What needs improvement?

Some areas are under rapid development, like Spark.

I've used it for three years.

No issues with the current version.

Customer Service: It's excellent. Technical Support: It's excellent.

Lead Instructor at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
It has fairly matured tools like Cloudera Navigator and Cloudera Manager, but it is lacking Spark SQL support.

What other advice do I have?

There were initial hiccups when deploying Cloudera on Azure but now this combo is working fine in production, so you can go for it.
Senior Analyst - Strategy Analytics at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
We were able to utilize data which was untapped previously, but the documentation on Hive could be more standardized.

What is most valuable?

The features we've found most valuable are-- Fast processing of data Easy to manipulate using HiveQL

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to utilize data which was untapped previously. We've got great use cases now to drive business revenue.

What needs improvement?

It needs more standardized documentation on Hive.

I've used it for two and a half years.

Customer Service: It's great. Technical Support: The level of technical support is great.

No previous solution was used, and senior management chose to bring it in.

I was not directly involved in deployment. …
Software Design Engineer at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
It automates the installation and configuration of Hadoop, but it should not provide generic logs for failed installations.

What other advice do I have?

Implement the free version as it provides enough services. If you want a backup service, or any extra service, then you can implement the enterprise version.
Lead Bigdata Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
We used it to build an enterprise data hub, but Apache Kudu needs improvement.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature for me are-- Sentry - provides granular-level security Impala - open-source, MPP database

Improvements to My Organization:

We used it to build an enterprise data hub.

Room for Improvement:

Apache Kudu needs improvement. It's a real-time updatable database.

Implementation Team:

We used a vendor team to implement the solution.
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It provides the ability to update configuration through the UI. I think licensing by size of data managed would be a useful improvement.

Valuable Features

The features most valuable to me are-- Installation (very easy initial setup) Configuration Ability to update configuration through UI

Improvements to My Organization

It made Hadoop easy to use and made it easy to get started.

Room for Improvement

The licensing was by node. I think licensing by size of data managed would be a useful improvement.

Use of Solution

I used Cloudera Manager to evaluate Hadoop and HBase for one year.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's excellent. Technical Support: It's excellent.

It was very easy.

Implementation Team

It was implemented…
System Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
For the clusters using CM, we are able to more tightly control and manage the configuration of all nodes in the clusters. But, it has HBase 1.0 stability issues and processing speed needs improvement.
Architect at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Cloudera Manager Hadoop Cluster Installation Evaluation
I decided to give Cloudera's Manager software a try, and was pleasantly surprised at how simple it becomes to deploy a substantial Hadoop cluster. I began by creating an automated kickstart installer for RHEL 6.2 (booting off a custom isolinux image created for this purpose), with all of the required packages, so that from server power on to creating a 20+ node cluster takes less than 15 minutes. The limitation for the number of concurrent node installs is based on network and disk i/o bottlenecks on the deployment server. If you wanted to PXE boot the cluster in a production environment, you would want a bank of servers behind a load balancer, optimally. Once the Manager is installed on the master node, you simply log into the administration webpage, and from there, add all of the…