Cloudflare OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cloudflare is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top CDN tools. It is most often compared to Imperva Incapsula: Cloudflare vs Imperva Incapsula

What is Cloudflare?

Cloudflare is the leading performance and security company helping to build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers more than 9 million Internet applications. More than 10 trillion Internet requests flow through Cloudflare’s network each month, accounting for nearly 10% of all Internet requests globally.

Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with each new site added. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks.

Download the Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cloudflare Customers

Trusted by over 9,000,000 Internet Applications and APIs, including Nasdaq, Zendesk, Crunchbase, Steve Madden, OkCupid, Cisco, Quizlet, Discord and more.

Cloudflare Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cloudflare pricing:
  • "The cost primarily depends on the size of the organization."
  • "The price is reasonable."
  • "We don't have any issues with the price."

Cloudflare Reviews

BW
VP/Director of IT
Robust, secure and innovative; technical support needs to be improved

• "New and innovative way to protect the client's data."
  • "Technical support is lacking."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would be as an immediate wrapper-type security solution as opposed to other solutions which put an in-point monitor on a workstation. I'm the VP of our company and director of IT.

What is most valuable?

They've implemented a tunneling system. It's not quite VPN, but it's not quite HTTP traffic, either. It's a very robust and different system which, in my opinion, is what needs to be done. New and innovative ways to protect the client's data should be the focus.

What needs improvement?

I think they have failed with their technical support. I feel I would have gotten to a solution faster, quicker, and more efficiently if they would have been there to just answer a couple of questions. I had to read so much documentation to validate what I was about to do versus what I had already known I could do. They almost lost me as a customer and it was only because I had a bit of time and the gumption, the drive to keep going. I'm glad I did, but I'm not happy with the road. It was bumpy.

I've been using this solution for about three months.

Stability is great. I love their mechanisms, I love their GUI, I love their front end, I love their behind the scenes. Algorithms and everything, it all makes sense. I look at Microsoft and I say, you just don't make sense anymore. If you've been working in this industry for long enough, you know what makes sense and what doesn't make sense. And this box ware makes a lot of sense.

The solution is open ended like with Cisco so quite scalable. I'm the only one using it and, at this point, I'm probably using 2% of their overall capacity. We're in the process of reevaluating our presence on the cloud, our data on the cloud and our ability to do work in the cloud.

I've tried to contact technical support three times without any luck. I found the solution myself. If I look at the community, I see others have experienced the same issue.

I carried out a comparison of Cloudflare with Call Ways, which was a good runner-up. Not only because of the sophistication of their cloud monitoring system, but they also have zero remediation, which means that they will tell you that you've got a problem even though they can't fix it. I'm also looking at Support Net as a primary firewall to replace the firewalls that I'm going to retire. I accidentally found Cloudflare, which offered me a lot more than any of the other companies, because the first thing it did was to encrypt all my traffic. Microsoft had failed us and as a result I had to shut everything down for three days and reconfigure firewalls and everything before bringing it all back up again.

On this particular system, I didn't have as much budget as I would have liked, but I still had the redundancy that I wanted. The complexity was that things don't work the way they used to so I had to rethink things. In the end, deployment for the actual solution took about 10 minutes. It was a matter of just literally giving them a credit card and flipping a switch. It's been fine ever since.

All my data was encrypted before the hackers got past two firewalls. Encrypting your data does not keep hackers from getting in. In that respect, Cloudflare has proved to be a huge benefit for us.

For now, the cost of Cloudflare is very reasonable compared to everything else. It's hard to say what will be down the track. Sometimes these companies offer very good deals early on and then annual fees increase as the companies become more successful.

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of documentation and I would recommend reading it. I think that's how they want their tech support to work, through community. The community doesn't talk so well with each other like the Microsoft community because Microsoft's been around a lot longer. It isn't quite working perfectly yet and they don't have experts to answer the questions. They want the users to come to the realization for themselves, based on what I see in the conversations in the communities. It's a millennial mentality. We don't have to be involved, we'll just make the product and let them solve their own problems. That's an issue for me.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

FS
Senior Consultant CDN at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Easy to manage with a good web application firewall, but the channel support system needs improvement

• "The most valuable feature is the web application firewall."
  • "There should be a specific price list for enterprise-level customers."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of CDN solutions and this is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

I also use Cloudflare for various websites. It is a content delivery platform.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the web application firewall.

The dashboard is very easy to use. It is simple to explain and a layperson can achieve good results.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

There should be a specific price list for enterprise-level customers.

Another problem with this product, as a reseller, is that your customer needs to give you access to all of the features before you can help them. This is different than with other vendors, where you have insight into the customer's contract. Unless the customer gives me access to their dashboard, I am totally blind and cannot really support them. The problem is that it makes it difficult to give them support. There should at least be a read-only view of the data so that resellers can properly support the clients.

Essentially, the dashboard is not well set up for resellers. Resellers need to have a dashboard view of all of their accounts.

I have been working with Cloudflare for about two years.

It has had some flaws in the past. For example, I think that they had two outages last year and they had a dashboard outage this year, but apart from these instances, it's quite stable.

The scalability is great. They're expanding and have enough resources worldwide.

Our customers are typically enterprise-level organizations.

The technical support team is very good and they know what they're doing.

I am also familiar with Akamai and Fastly. Cloudflare is easier to manage than the solutions provided by these vendors. The user experience is much more straightforward and appeals to a lot of developers.

Akamai, however, is the largest and most popular CDN. It's a very sturdy solution. They basically made this industry, 20 years ago, paving the way for newest vendors such as Cloudflare.

The initial setup is very straightforward. You need to know something about DNS domains and so forth, but if you're familiar with setting up a website then it's straightforward. The deployment takes about 15 minutes.

My customers generally have three or four in-house people to handle the deployment.

There seems to be no official pricelist for enterprise-level customers and it is more of a trial-and-error estimation. The cost primarily depends on the size of the organization.

We have some customers who cannot afford to have a downtime of an hour, so the customer has to choose. We give them other options, such as Akamai CDN, who provide a 100% SLA and they haven't failed in 17 years. That's a different clientele. Younger startups sometimes break things by pushing out new applications and they're used to having a more fragile environment.

What other advice do I have?

This product is well-developed and they are expanding into other spaces.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Imperva, Sucuri Security and others in Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MM
Senior Network Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
An intuitive solution that's great for a small business

• "From what I've seen so far, there are no negatives to report as of yet"
  • "Although I think it's quite good, it doesn't provide me with all the features I would expect to have if I were using Imperva."

What is most valuable?

Cloudflare is easy to use. It's very intuitive. Although I think it's quite good, it doesn't provide me with all the features I would expect to have if I were using Imperva. I think Imperva is far richer in features from what I can see, but I think that can bring its own pains to be honest. For this reason, I think Cloudflare is a simpler version.

With Imperva, you can drill down to packet-level very easily. It's very, very good at drilling down deeper and deeper into the packet. I think that is available with Cloudflare, but it's not as good. It doesn't seem to provide us with the same kind of search capability as Imperva. Having said that, I think that's one of the advantages of Cloudflare because you just have to click a button and drill down via clicking. I actually like Cloudflare to be honest. Imperva is almost too difficult for normal businesses — it's too complex. There's almost too much information there. Whereas with Cloudflare, it's easier to drill down and it's more intuitive.

I've only been using Cloudflare for a week.

I wasn't involved in the implementation, so I have no idea how much it costs.

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution is quite intuitive. For businesses that don't have a dedicated security team, I think it's a better product; it's more intuitive for people like us. I'm a network security engineer, but I'm not a dedicated security official. I've too many other things going on to have the time to do the rule sets that you need if you're working with Imperva — I think a lot of that is down to you as the customer. With Cloudflare, I think a lot of that happens in the background.

I've been working with it for a week and a half so I'm not the best person to say if it's better or worse than Imperva. My only reaction is that maybe it's not as feature-rich for the end-user. Whether that's an advantage, well, that's questionable. Maybe we don't need all of those features sometimes — it depends on the business. The business I'm working in now is a very different business with a different kind of security model. The business I was working with when I used Imperva probably needed that feature-rich capability.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cloudflare a rating of eight. It's quite intuitive. I like it. From what I've seen so far, there are no negatives to report as of yet.

AF
Project Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable with good DDoS protection and good scalability potential

• "The DDoS protection is the most valuable aspect of the solution."
  • "The solution could work at being less expensive. It costs a lot to use it."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes. We use the product for theft and DDoS protection.

What is most valuable?

The security on offer is good. Specifically, the DDoS protection is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The solution can scale if you need it to. It has the capability to expand.

The product seems to be pretty stable overall.

The technical support is very good. They are knowledgeable and they respond quickly.

What needs improvement?

It would be ideal if the product had some sort of live tracking functionality available to us.

The solution could work at being less expensive. It costs a lot to use it.

I've been using the solution for about two or so years at this point. It's been a while.

I've never really evaluated the stability of the solution. I have no opinion of it. I can't speak to its overall performance very well. Generally, however, I would say that it is largely stable.

The solution doesn't really depend on the number of users, so much as the general traffic. In that sense, it can scale. It's a pretty scalable product.

The technical support on offer is excellent. They are very helpful and responsive. We're quite happy with the level of service they provide to their customers.

The initial setup was neither simple nor complex. It was somewhere in the middle, However, we did have help with the implementation, which was very useful for us.

The deployment took about 11 days in total. It wasn't too long.

Once it is deployed, there is no maintenance required of us.

The vendor helped us with the initial implementation. We had a good experience with them overall.

The solution is relatively expensive. It's not something that comes at a cheap price.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We are using the latest version of the solution currently. I can't speak to the exact version number, however.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. We've been quite happy with its capabilities.

Other
MC
Network Security Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Great at mitigating threats with good stability and very good scalability

• "The solution is very good at mitigating threats."
  • "The solution could use more analytics on the backend to give us more insights into everything. More reports would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily provide the solution to our clients.

It offers DDoS protection, WAF is available, and CDN services are there. You can log the IP address countrywide and it optimizes the content for you.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good at mitigating threats.

What needs improvement?

The product is already being developed out quite well. I don't see any room for improvement in terms of features.

If they could offer more filters, that would be very useful for our organization.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The stability is good. We haven't witnessed crashes, bugs, or glitches. It's a reliable product.

The solution is easy to scale. A company shouldn't have any issues with expansion if they need to.

We've reached out to technical support in the past and we've found hem to be very good. We're satisfied with the level of service they provide.

The initial setup is extremely easy. There's absolutely no complexity.

Deployment times will depend on the customer due to the fact that we will need to change the authoritative main servers and customer domain. We can typically do this in one day. It totally depends on the customer and their requirements and processes.

There is no downtime involved in the deployment.

I'm not sure what the licensing costs are. I'm not sure if we pay monthly or yearly.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Cloudflare.

This solution is the best product. It does not charge you for any kind of attack on your traffic. It charges you only for any good traffic. It can mitigate up to 30 TBPS of DDoS attacks. If the attack happens and if there is a surge in the traffic, it will only charge you for the good traffic.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

I'd rate it higher, however, I believe they are still building out their product. There are still items that could be added that will make it even better in the future.

Private Cloud
Raj Meka
President and CEO at Mekas Cloud Services
Easy to scale and configure, with reasonable pricing

• "There are key things that are used for our enterprise customers, such as Lambda and DNS."
  • "Latencies are always a problem."

What is our primary use case?

We are an IT consulting company, we provide solutions to our customers. We implement the solutions for our customers. Some of our customers use CloudFlare, some of them are using  Imperva and Palo Alto.

Our customers use this solution for any web traffic, mostly GCP or to AWS cloud as a backend.

What is most valuable?

I like caching and DDoS. There are key things that are used for our enterprise customers, such as Lambda and DNS.

What needs improvement?

Latencies are always a problem.

Also, one thing I would say is you have to maintain DNS through their services. I don't know if that's a requirement or not.

Latencies are the key issue. If you are not caching and just using DDoS then definitely, there are some latencies added to the traffic.

I have been working with Cloudflare for more than six years.

We work with many different versions. For new customers, we use the latest version.

I haven't had any issues with stability. We haven't heard anything from our clients.

It's a stable solution.

It is easy to scale. We haven't had any problems with scalability.

We have not used technical support.

Cloudflare is very straightforward. It is easy to set up.

There is no installation, you just go through the configuration process.

The price is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

It all depends on what the customer is looking for. These are two different areas. Basically, CloudFare is completely Cloud-based, whereas Imperva I can have a physical appliance or a virtual appliance, or a cloud-based.

My solution is based on what customers are looking for, but Cloudflare is pretty good and getting really popular in terms of DDoS, the paid version of it.

We looked at the service. What are acceptable latencies? Is it okay to route through a different vendor, and before it reaches the backup? They have to go through multiple vendors. You also have to consider what the latencies cost and is that acceptable for the service. These are key things you need to consider when selecting a cloud-based vendor for DDoS.

I would rate Cloudflare a nine out of ten.

MU
Information Technology Engineer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Easy to configure and develop documentation to see how the firewalls are configured

• "It is easier to configure and develop documentation to see how we have configured firewalls."
  • "It should have easier documentation for the configuration. It's very technical and people who aren't technical should also be able to do the configuration."

What is most valuable?

It is easier to configure and develop documentation to see how we have configured firewalls. It's also more automated. You can have a website injected with SQL command. We put in an SQL injection and Cloudflare rejects it.

What needs improvement?

It should have easier documentation for the configuration. It's very technical and people who aren't technical should also be able to do the configuration.

I have been using it for three months.

It's stable but we have to finetune it. We need to adjust the configuration more to meet the requirements for our website.

It is scalable. My company deploys it for end-users and in the meantime, I deployed it on my own website.

I haven't contacted technical support.

The initial setup was quite straightforward. There is a button with an explanation. We deployed it within minutes. It has an SQL database and it only took minutes to apply it on the website.

What other advice do I have?

Try to deploy it on your website and test it on your site to see how it works.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

It already has a good feature set, I don't think it needs anything else. To make it a ten, the documentation should be simplified.

Andrii Präger
CTO at QROK GmbH
Easy to use, good documentation, reasonably priced, and they have good support

What is most valuable?

It's very user-friendly. A user who doesn't completely know how everything works can easily sign up and have an account.  It is very clear and the information is very useful. There is a very good reporting system for statistics.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with the CDN services. Also, the connection could be improved.

There are some issues with stability. We have connection issues.

We are satisfied with technical support.

We don't have any issues with the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cloudflare an eight out of ten.

What is most valuable?

It is very clear and the information is very useful.

There is a very good reporting system for statistics.

What needs improvement?

There are some issues with the CDN services.

Also, the connection could be improved.

There are some issues with stability. We have connection issues.

We are satisfied with technical support.

We don't have any issues with the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Cloudflare an eight out of ten.

Download our free Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) Protection Report and find out what your peers are saying about Cloudflare, Imperva, Sucuri Security, and more!