Cloudify Overview

What is Cloudify?

Cloudify is an orchestration-first cloud management platform, that is open source and based on the TOSCA standard, with multi-cloud and hybrid stack support. Cloudify supports all of the most popular clouds, alongside cloud native technologies, and even non-virtualized and bare metal environments. Cloudify is inherently built for integration, OEMability and interoperability, enabling organizations to build best of breed IT stacks, with full lifecycle automation - day 0 thorugh day 2 operations (provisioning, deployment, monitoring and remediation) of enterprise and legacy applications alongside networking services and functions - without having to sacrifice control, all while providing tools for operations and developers alike. Cloudify provides a single pane of glass across infrastructure, while supporting your existing tools and installbase.

Cloudify is built for pluggability through its open architecture model, bringing the web scale best practices of orchestration and automation into the world of hybrid stacks and clouds. With powerful workflows that map to complex dependencies, policies and relationships through model driven service orchestration, Cloudify delivers robust cloud application management without requiring organizations to change existing work processes or the codebase of their existing applications.

Download the Cloud Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Cloudify Customers
Proximus Partner Communications (Israel) VMware NTT Data Metaswitch Spirent Communications Lumina Networks Atos Fortinet
Cloudify Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

IT Infrastructure Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
TOSCA allows modeling the application, not the automation, but event monitoring needs work

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is top-level orchestration: Orchestration of applications made up of different technologies, by subcontracting work to underlying orchestrators which are more technology-specific, like IaaS, DBaaS, Kubernetes or home-grown solutions.

• "TOSCA model allows modeling the application rather than the automation. It is a machine-readable representation of the application and its infrastructure, which can be used for other things too, not just for the orchestration (e.g. enterprise architecture big picture, who connects to whom)."
  • "Cloudify provides the infrastructure-as-code, as well as operational action capabilities (orchestrated startups or upgrades, and more)."
  • "Install of the product itself could be improved and I would like to see better event monitoring."
Software Consultant at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Enables us to catch scaling ​​issues early on, and has extensible functions and plugins

What is our primary use case?

Working with a major bank to set up a private cloud and used Cloudify implementation as an orchestrator, based on TOSCA blueprints. Environment was VMWare and OpenStack based instances that was configured using SaltStack.

• "Product has given us the ability to catch early scaling issues that many companies hit on with private clouds."
  • "Extensible internal functions and plugins. Can implement custom plugins to fit your scenario. Python based plugins."
  • "You can use only what you need. You can remove certain Cloudify functions from the framework to create a "minified" version of what you need. This might only consist of the messaging delivery system, and the orchestration functions."
  • "Certainly the UI could use some intensive work, but nevertheless, overall, it’s a complete product with its 3.4 version and much better features are available with 4.0."
Find out what your peers are saying about GigaSpaces, Red Hat, Cisco and others in Cloud Management. Updated: April 2021.
501,151 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Valuable features are auto-scaling and load balancing.

What is our primary use case?

We configured our application using Cloudify in our production environment. We deployed the REST application with Tomcat and configured it with Cloudify auto-scaling and load balancing configuration.

How has it helped my organization?

I think about the containers (Docker). We can quickly create a local cloud with Kubernetes, a global deployable format (container), good resource utilization, and open source.

What is most valuable?

Auto-scaling Load balancing Creating a local cloud. I used the 2.x version and did not use the 3.x version.

What needs improvement?

Unlike the Docker environment, Cloudify takes time for configuration and its learning curve.

Researcher, Programmer, Project leader at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Supports the OASIS TOSCA blueprint.

What is most valuable?

Good OASIS TOSCA blueprint support Extensibility Multi-platform nature

How has it helped my organization?

It has enabled us to create the DICE Deployment Service. It also simplified deployment of any other services (monitoring, continuous integration, etc.).

What needs improvement?

It would be great if it would start supporting Ubuntu 16.04 or newer.

I have used it since spring 2015.

There were some issues with deploying the solution on OpenStack Mitaka. However, we were able to resolve them.

We have not encountered any stability issues. Since version 3.4.0, the solution is stable.

What do I think

devOps engineer at a financial services firm
It is easy to follow the template. More of the debug functionality is needed.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to follow the template.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to create a cloud server, such as Linux with JBoss or WebSphere, which is good for continuous deployment.

What needs improvement?

More of the debug functionality is needed; hopefully, we can pause during the server building process.

I have used this solution for three months.

There were no stability issues.

We were not using any other solution before.

Another team was responsible for the setup in the low-level environment.

What other advice do I have?

You should be familiar with more…
IT Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reduced the manual tasks during application release activities.

What is most valuable?

No need to change the existing application code base.

How has it helped my organization?

Reduced the manual tasks during application release activities.

We have been using this solution for six months.

I did not encounter any issues with deployment.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did encounter any issues with scalability.

Customer Service: I would rate customer support as good. Technical Support: I would rate technical support as good.

Which solution did I use previously

Partner, Cloud Services at a tech services company
Applications are modeled as abstract blueprints, and interfaces to external systems are implemented in Python plugins.
Cloudify is an application that allows users to control the full lifecycle of distributed applications. Based on TOSCA – an open specification for defining an application's topology, lifecycle workflows and lifecycle events – Cloudify can manage complex, distributed applications across both public and private clouds (multi-cloud and hybrid), including containerized applications and SDN. At Risk Focus, we're often engaged by enterprise customers to build a cloud management layer that allows our clients to integrate their cloud services with existing services and controls. We use Cloudify in three common use cases: In highly regulated industries (e.g., capital markets firms) where the organization has existing controls that need to be implemented across all new environments, including…
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It can be deployed in combinations of cloud environments.

What other advice do I have?

Before becoming a GigaSpaces implementation partner and investing in Cloudify, we conducted a thorough market analysis, including both proprietary and open-source solutions. We selected Cloudify because of the scalability, ease of integration (so our customers can keep their existing investments in a CMP or config orchestration tool) and rapid evolution of the product. It enables us to solve our customers' automation problems quickly and with minimal investment and risk.
Product Categories
Cloud Management
Download our free Cloud Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about GigaSpaces, Red Hat, Cisco, and more!