CloudStack Overview

CloudStack is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Cloud Management tools. It is most often compared to OpenNebula: CloudStack vs OpenNebula

What is CloudStack?
Apache CloudStack is open source software designed to deploy and manage large networks of virtual machines, as a highly available, highly scalable Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform.

CloudStack is also known as Vmops, Cloud.com.

Download the Cloud Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

CloudStack Customers
GreenQloud, Exoscale, TomTom, ASG, PC Extreme, ISWest, Grid'5000
CloudStack Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Private gateway networking enables customers to connect to their virtual data centers via dedicated, encrypted fiber lines

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache CloudStack to provide Public IaaS cloud services in Switzerland at two locations. Together with our own fiber optic-based private network, it features guaranteed latencies of under 0.5 ms per 80 km and optical encryption. We offer the highest level of security and confidentiality to our customers.

• "CloudStack’s private gateway networking feature is what enables us to offer utmost security and confidentially to our customers and partners, by enabling them to connect to their virtual data centers via dedicated, encrypted, private fiber lines that never touch the public internet space. Ease of setup and management are certainly important additional benefits for us on the engineering team."
  • "There are some minor things that can be improved even more such as, perhaps, a bit more polishing on the GUI side to catch up with the API possibilities (which are really extensive) but otherwise nothing critical."

What other advice do I have?

We rate Apache CloudStack a pure 10 out of 10 for its extremely versatile environment, rich feature set that can cover even the most complex customer requirements, and the ease of management.
Senior Software Engineer - Sr. UI Developer at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Helped us showcase our features through process visualization and functional solutions

What is our primary use case?

We are developing a software for data centers to ease the process of storage hardware maintenance and providing services. We needed a framework which supported the basics of our requirements. CloudStack's framework was our first choice.

How has it helped my organization?

As our primary focus was on OS development, CloudStack helped us showcase our features through process visualization and functional solutions.

What is most valuable?

The integration and MVC architecture build are awesome. The structuring of the components and isolated environments helped us when using parts of the framework at different levels of product development.

What needs improvement?

A technology upgrade is one item which could be improved upon a lot.

For how long have

Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, OpenNebula, Red Hat and others in Cloud Management. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Virtualization and Backup Engineer
Supports every operating system that supports hypervisors, easy to install and manage

What is our primary use case?

CloudStack is an open-source platform for deploying infrastructure as a service (IaaS). Our company uses it to offer IaaS to companies who want to have public, private, or hybrid cloud. I implemented this platform in two companies in Colombia. It was used to offer our customers a portal where they could create servers easily, safely, and have stable performance. I worked with different hypervisors and installed CloudStack in different operating systems. The integration is excellent. We had three zones in the platform for specific countries, approximately four pods and 10 clusters with VMware… more »

• "CloudStack supports every operating system that supports hypervisors, which makes the product more attractive, compared to vCloud Director or Azure."
  • "It is very easy to install and manage. It has the all modules in one node, unlike other software (OpenStack). The product allows a customized look and feel, and the ability to add custom workflows."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that you initially consider what solution or cloud product you require. Then, if you are looking for a stable product that is easy to install with a lot of documentation, a portal that is very easy to understand and manage and that can be modified, you should use CloudStack.
    Cloud Architect at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
    MSP
    Centralized management design scales well, but lacks support for third-party vendors

What is our primary use case?

Legacy support for a previous CloudStack environment.

• "It works, and pretty much always has. Reliability and support for enterprise features, with a multi-tenant interface, makes CloudStack a very compelling solution."
    • "Key features include stability, centralized management design that scales well, and transparent interoperability with different hypervisors and manufacturers.."
    • "Lack of support for third-party software vendors such as Veeam and Zerto creates limitations on comprehensive offerings which would include backup and disaster recovery."

What other advice do I have?

I have used it for close to eight years, since Cloud.com, prior to the Citrix acquisition. Get commercial assistance from an experienced consultant who has deployed it before. Choices made early on in a cloud deployment can lock you into a design that may be undesirable in the future, but near impossible to change if implemented incorrectly early on.
    Senior System Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    APIs enable customizable cloud creation, but zones need to be more stable

What is our primary use case?

Development and test environment for customer.

How has it helped my organization?

We saved on cost of hardware.

What is most valuable?

You can build your own cloud and make it customizable with APIs.

What needs improvement?

The zones need to be more stable. During moving and first deployment there were a lot of issues.

Three to five years.
    Lead Linux Systems Administrator
    Simple to stand up, does not restrict us just one hypervisor

• "The API with CloudStack made integration into various external facing web applications simple enough."
    • "CloudStack is simple to stand up and get off the ground in a hurry. Its centralized design allows for easier troubleshooting when compared to OpenStack. Out of the box, it’s very well suited for white labeling and IaaS."
    • "The back-end database design is simple and straight forward. The user interface is designed with external users in mind. Billing is relatively straightforward with this product. Not being restricted to just one hypervisor was nice."
    • "Accounts, domains, and user accounts are set up with public cloud in mind, not private."
    • "The numerous, multi-layered drill-down menus make it difficult to find one simple knob to turn."

What other advice do I have?

I’ve used, managed, and integrated it for about seven years in three different mid-sized companies. I started using CloudStack before Citrix acquired Cloud.com.
    Quantitative Software Developer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    Helped me create infrastructure environment for an academic instituion

What is our primary use case?

I used Apache CloudStack as an academic project, for setting up the environments for a school's infrastructure, and not for specific applications' usage.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Apache CloudStack at seven out of 10, compared with six out of 10 for OpenStack.
    Cloud Platform engineer at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    Provides our development environment, but multi-deployments could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our enterprise cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

All our development is done on this environment because we deploy around 3,000 instances every day. We couldn’t do that on any public service because of the budget.

What is most valuable?

The feature of the Apache CloudStack, IaaS.

What needs improvement?

Multi-deployments.

System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to manage accounts and limits, helps us govern resource usage

What is our primary use case?

CloudStack is our private IaaS cloud which helps us manage resource usage in our company. It is also a great PoC environment.

• "Valuable features include that it is a user-friendly portal, VPN P2S and S2S possibilities, and it's easy to manage accounts and limits."
    • "VPN P2S is cutting all connections except the CloudStack environment for the user when he is connected. I would like to have VPN like Cisco's AnyConnect."
    • "It would be great to have a couple of “external” networks for VPC and have the possibility, for each domain, to choose they type of “external” network."
    • "From time to time there is a bug in calculating limits of resources for customer domain/account. Maybe it’s a problem with 4.9.2."

What other advice do I have?

Every infrastructure is different, and company policies are also different. I can’t advise in a general way here. I can only say that KVM and Citrix, as a hypervisors, are very stable with CLoudStack. The rest is up to the architecting fantasy of the administrator. This solution really works. That’s it.
    OK
    Junior QA Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Keeps administration for all virtual machines in one place, but needs more specific error messages

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case of is set up deploy for testing team's artifacts. Usually it has 8-16 RAM, ~80 HDD.

• "The most valuable feature from my point of view is access to environment via console through separate browser window."
    • "It would be a good to have more specific error messages within administration processes (e.g. problem with creating new instance)."

What other advice do I have?

In general I would to say CS is a stable solution and, in my opinion, it will solve problems with administration of VMs.
    Systems Engineer R&D at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Storage migrations and volume Snapshot restores produced MySQL time-outs and status update failures

What is our primary use case?

My company has developed solutions like user-friendly control portals and billing portals for CloudStack. Also we were providing infrastructure support for CloudStack-based IaaS platforms for a few of our clients. We used most possible cases like LDAP integrations, RBAC, etc., with CloudStack. We created multi-zone infrastructure with CloudStack and it was working great.

• "Multiple types of hypervisor support, multi-zone support, and VPC are great valuable features."
    • "For time consuming operations like storage migrations, volume Snapshot restore and the like, we faced issues like MySQL operations timing out and status update failures. Those areas needs improvement."
    • "I encountered some stability issues. When I tried to remove high-capacity virtual machines it took a long time to update, and sometimes the VM status failed to update properly in the cloud database. This occurred multiple times, even though I had sufficient resources."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it at five out of 10. For a private cloud, CloudStack is good and fine, but for public cloud, it will not be that a great experience, in my opinion. CloudStack is good for private cloud, simple to install and set up. If you are planning for a public cloud with microservices architecture, go for OpenStack. CloudStack is a monolithic architecutred solution to manage cloud infra and sometimes it will be difficult to pick and fix a single component from CloudStack.
    Cloud Solutions Engineer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    Makes it easy to deploy new devices with minimal hardware changes, but every new version introduces new bugs

What is our primary use case?

We have created a zone-based setup in Cloudstack where each zone represents a physical datacentre. Each zone has a few servers/hypervisors with predefined VM templates. We have a portal where a user just clicks a few times and gets a VM ready for use. We use API in the background, which gives instructions to Cloudstack to produce the desired results.

• "It has become easy to deploy new devices with no or minimal hardware changes. Now, a user can be ready to use a firewall within a few minutes, as compared to the traditional physical model which involved purchase, shipping, hardware configuration, cabling, power, etc."
    • "CloudStack, by default, gives us a zone-based setup which makes it easier to manage datacenters located in different geographical areas."
    • "It gives us the ability to manage and segregate a guest network with openvSwitch and VLAN IDs."
    • "This product needs a lot improvement on the development side. Every new version introduces new bugs. It lacks many features needed for NFV like DPDK, SR-IOV support, etc."
    • "It is not widely used so Google does not help very much when you are troubleshooting, and the CloudStack forum is not very active."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a seven out of 10 because it is has most features you would expect from an orchestration tool, but less complexity.
    Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
    Gives us ability to orchestrate large virtual environments; flexible enough to configure for our needs

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache CloudStack to host and orchestrate all of our virtual environments. We host both internal virtual machines and customer virtual machines.

• "The product gives us the ability to orchestrate large virtual environments and is flexible enough to allow us to configure it for what we need. We value the flexibility of the networking feature set as well as the ability to build virtual private clouds."
    • "The area of Apache CloudStack that could stand the most improvement is the functionality/features around the virtual routers. They can be somewhat cumbersome to deal with at times and are the least stable piece of the product."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this an eight out of 10. It is a great solution for virtual hypervisor orchestration. It is purpose-built for our environment and does very well if you have the time to manage your environment. We’ve been using some form of CloudStack in our environment since 2012. It has become an integral part of how we provide critical services to our customers.
    Project Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
    Environment is sensitive, requires high-end engineers; but it supports many hypervisors

What is our primary use case?

The main goal was to have an IaaS solution which could be supported by a small number of people and which matches our business logic for internal units. In the end, CloudStack was deployed as a private cloud, across three datacenters with different hardware vendors (HPE, Dell, Cisco Blades, EMC, and Supermicro storage) and advanced networking. It's more then 100 hosts (including DR) and more then 1,000 instances deployed. Final design included automatic limits configuration and access management.

• "Killer features for me were: support for many hypervisors, ability to match business logic, "everything in one box," available APIs."
    • "You can manage infrastructure with a few people, since product is monolithic. We had three engineers (storage, virtual, Linux admins) only. Also, CS supports different flavours of hypervisors."
    • "The main reason why we started looking for another solution: backups, replication, HA, and dependency on secondary storage. CS is quite sensitive for infrastructure, and any kind of network disruption between CS and secondary storage leads to VM hanging."
    • "Environment is sensitive, so, unlike VMware, you can not afford middle-skilled engineers, they will ruin everything."
    • "It's really hard to delete zones, clusters, datacenters. You need to follow strict rules, which were not properly documented at the time."
    • "We did encounter issues with stability, and the main issue was secondary storage. When it is not available, XenServers and hypervisors are affected. And CS doesn’t do anything to reboot, or fix. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn’t, considering their approach – CS just orchestrates everything else on the hypervisor and storage level."

What other advice do I have?

We have been using CS for three years. I started a small PoC with a few VMware hosts. At the end, I had three production instances with VMware and XenServers. I would rate CloudStack as a six out of 10. Main pros: You can manage infrastructure with a few people, since product is monolithic. We had three engineers (storage, virtual, Linux admins) only. Also, CS supports different flavours of hypervisors. Main concern: Environment is sensitive, so, unlike VMware, you can not afford middle-skilled engineers, they will ruin everything. It's very important to understand CS rules and baseline for…
    User at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    User
    It was easy to deploy, both for PoC and production with HA
    We use this product solely for private cloud. We have a small setup (like half-rack) used mostly for software development. We have basic network (with ACLs) and use Ansible for instance management. The initial decision to go with CloudStack, not OpenStack, was made because of its simplicity. It was easy to deploy, both for PoC and production (with HA). For hypervisor, we decided to go with Citrix Xen (and NFS storage). Now, we are considering KVM with GlusterFS. There are some things that I would like to see fixed in newer versions:  The user can't upload SSH keys from the UI. We have to use the API for this, and it is not always convenient.  The Security Groups. I would like to see more AWS-like behavior, and be able to add/remove SG to instance after creation.  The Windows…
    IT Manager / Gerente de TI at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    The platform is very simple to scale-out

What is our primary use case?

We are an ISP in Brazil. We have started to offer IaaS to the market and our current customers. We implemented ACS in our datacenter starting with a zone, pod, and cluster. We also developed an eCommerce/user interface at the top of the Apache CloudStack platform.

• "The platform is very simple to scale-out.​"
    • "We had a relevant reduction of bureaucracy tasks."
    • "The absence of the feature, deploy an instance from a snapshot, is the weak point of the platform. It is a feature that everyone needs nowadays."
    IT Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Has reduced the time to market for the delivery of new products.

What other advice do I have?

Reduction in the time for the presentation of new improvements.
    Cloud Architect at a tech vendor with 5,001-10,000 employees
    It helps some business areas to test ideas and innovation initiatives with freedom and more speed.

What other advice do I have?

Attention to network design and secondary storage.
    Lead Technical Architect
    We have high availability (HA) of the virtual machines and a better SLA.

What other advice do I have?

I have used KVM or XenServer as hypervisors with CloudStack. These virtualization technologies are most supported on CloudStack.
    IaaS/Cloud Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Provides LDAP integration, quota management, and RBAC.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a private cloud, just go for CloudStack.
    System Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    CloudStack: The other cloud controller
    OpenStack seems to be winning the popularity contest when it comes to an open source cloud computing Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) platform but there’s another solution available. What is this solution you ask, drum roll please……..CloudStack. If you truly did your homework in this space you would have already heard of and probably tested CloudStack. But for those that have not, here is a run down of what CloudStack is and what it brings to the table. CloudStack is an open source software cloud controller for building private, public and hybrid IaaS environments. CloudStack lets you pool and manage compute, storage and network resources all from its inviting web interface. One difference from OpenStack is that CloudStack is a monolithic solution which doesn’t have to be put together…
    Product Categories
    Cloud Management
    Download our free Cloud Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about Apache, OpenNebula, Red Hat, and more!