Code42 Next-Gen DLP Overview

Code42 Next-Gen DLP is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Data Loss Prevention tools. It is most often compared to CrowdStrike Falcon: Code42 Next-Gen DLP vs CrowdStrike Falcon

What is Code42 Next-Gen DLP?
Code42, a leading provider of information security solutions, secures the ideas of more than 50,000 organizations worldwide, including the most recognized brands in business and education. Because Code42 collects and indexes every version of every file, the company offers security, legal and IT teams total visibility and recovery of data--wherever it lives and moves. With real-time alerts and forensics, these teams can easily detect, investigate, and rapidly recover from any data incident, such as ransomware, lost of stolen devices, and insider threats. Supported by a global state-of-the-art cloud infrastructure, the Code42 platform safeguards hundreds of petabytes of data and helps organizations comply with evolving regulatory environments. Founded in 2001, the company is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and backed by Accel Partners, JMI Equity, NEA, and Split Rock Partners. For more information, visit code42.com.

Code42 Next-Gen DLP is also known as Code42 Next-Gen Data Loss Protection, Code42 Forensic File Search, Code42 Backup + Restore.

Code42 Next-Gen DLP Buyer's Guide

Download the Code42 Next-Gen DLP Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Code42 Next-Gen DLP Customers
Adobe, Okta, Samsung, Taylormade, Boston University, Lending Club, North Highland, Stanford University, Ping Identity, Qualcomm, Pandora.
Code42 Next-Gen DLP Video

Code42 Next-Gen DLP Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Jose Chambilla
CrashPlanPROe Application Manager at SIL International
Jun 19, 2018
Works in the background, allows individual users to perform restores

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up corporate data. Most of our users are travelers and there have been cases where laptops were lost/stolen.

How has it helped my organization?

We are now able to keep our corporate data safe for those who don't work in a center with IT support.

What is most valuable?

Works in the background Admin dashboard Reporting Users are able to perform restores Mobile app comes handy if you need to retrieve a file

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more flexibility on privileges, perhaps create another kind of admin for regions. Also, I would like the ability to access logs without having to be on the actual device or a super-admin.

Three to five years.
it_user817440
Owner
Feb 26, 2018
The application requires far more system resources on a Client than other solutions

What is our primary use case?

Used for both peer-to-peer and cloud backup.

• "It required very little ongoing maintenance once setup."
  • "It has quite a bit of flexibility in configuring backup sets."
  • "It had the ability to preseed by sending in a data drive and could restore by sending the user a data drive."
  • "​Due to recent changes that effectively abandoned an entire segment of their user base, I no longer trust nor can recommend Code42 products."
  • "The application, written in Java, required far more system resources on a Client than other solutions."

What other advice do I have?

Find out what your peers are saying about Code42, Digital Guardian, Broadcom and others in Data Loss Prevention. Updated: February 2021.
466,017 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user642642
Research IT Support Specialist at a tech vendor
Nov 21, 2017
Primarily used to provide backup of HIPAA-related info and giving a sense of security against data loss

What is our primary use case?

Backup of HIPAA-related info.

What is most valuable?

Restore of data that is pertinent, such as thesis.

How has it helped my organization?

No longer the fear of losing work which has been worked on for a long time.

What needs improvement?

Faster.

Over a year.

They are amazing.

It was straightforward.

In-house. …
Alexander Warren
System Administrator III at a university
Oct 19, 2017
We use it to migrate users to new machines and rebuild existing ones that have had HDD failures

• "Backup and recovery have been great, but I love having the ability to keep the hybrid type build which they offer."
  • "More security would be nice, I would love to be able to remotely brick a stolen laptop and it's hard disk drive (HDD)."

What other advice do I have?

This software is designed to be set up and forget it for the users, but as an admin, you have reports that can help you prove it's continued existence. It's probably the best backup tool available, but that's just my opinion. Try for yourself and decide.
it_user752553
Information Security Specialist at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Oct 18, 2017
Completely changed our legal hold process from pulling drives and locking them in safes to a few clicks

• "Security tools: Being able to monitor data going in and coming off our endpoints. Seeing what it is and where it's going is awesome."
  • "Reporting could use an overhaul. It is very limited."

What other advice do I have?

This was the best ones that I tested. I loved it then and still love it now. Plan for high network traffic during roll-outs and initial backups. We spread out the backups as much as we could, but used the network locations and throttled different locations based on their bandwidth.
it_user294354
Systems Admin. at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 30, 2017
With it, we don't worry about data loss due to theft or loss of laptops.

What is most valuable?

It provides seamless backups without impacting user performance impact. It's automated and very easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

It's eliminated the worry about data loss due to theft or loss of laptops.

3 Years

None

Customer Service: Customer service is awesome, They are on top of all questions and are US based. Technical Support: Great Technical support and very knowledgable

very straightforward
Kurt Miller
Senior IT Manager at a marketing services firm
Aug 24, 2017
It just runs, rarely requiring intervention, but Java needs to be removed from it.

How has it helped my organization?

Once setup, it rarely requires user intervention. It just runs.

What is most valuable?

Low system overhead, setting retention policies, ease of use

What needs improvement?

Java, please get rid of Java.

Customer Service: 10 Technical Support: 10

very easy

In-house

it_user569241
Sr. Desktop Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Jun 23, 2017
The "Legal Hold" feature is loved by our Legal Department. They are able to log into the console themselves, with specialized roles, and can't do damage to our setup.

What other advice do I have?

Code42 CrashPlan is by far the best data backup solution on the market. The software is built by professionals, the support team is exceptional and the account reps are there to help you with anything you need.
it_user559902
ABS Support Analyst at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 23, 2017
Since I started working with CrashPlan we have less tickets open.

• "t has a very user friendly status bar with common errors and has logs built in to the console so we can review the issues or status of CrashPlan."
  • "I think one we can improve is the compression."

What other advice do I have?

well yes , is a really good backup solution i know they are a lot of them now in the market but this one is really good their interface is very user friendly , it can be installed from commando line and graphic interface , and supports windows , mac and unix , overall is a really good and user friendly application
it_user628431
Director, Information Technology and Technical Support at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 23, 2017
The always-active backup ability ensures that end-user data is protected.

What other advice do I have?

CrashPlan is easy to use and reliable. The service is affordable and the company is easy to work with; highly recommended.
it_user619389
Senior Desktop Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Mar 5, 2017
The lockdown feature ensures backups of company data for compliance, and prevents users from changing that.

What other advice do I have?

I can't say enough about Code42. The product has been a surprise at the ease of setup and deployment. Plus, they do an excellent job of building their customer community.
Paul Cottey
Chief Information Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Feb 22, 2017
We filter out certain file types, and throttle both to a percentage of CPU and to network throughput.
it_user497994
Administrator at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
Feb 7, 2017
Setup remote backups and they continually backup changes.

What other advice do I have?

It just works. And if you have a problem, chat is fast.
Andrew Salinger
Manager, IT at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jan 15, 2017
The file restore functionality and remote backup for remote users doesn't take a lot of resources. It is invaluable for restoring lost or encrypted files.

What other advice do I have?

Keep up the great work. Ideally, we could have used the Windows Storage Server 2012 that was on a storage appliance we purchased, but by reinstalling, we were able to support the software on the original hardware that was purchased, just not with the Storage Server 2012 operating system from Windows.
it_user533700
End User Technology Manager at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 18, 2016
We used the restore feature to help us migrate from a standard laptops to the Microsoft Surface.

What other advice do I have?

The application and the company are absolutely top notch! The support is very responsive and the company has a genuine concern for their customers. In this day and age of outsourcing support, that is VERY refreshing.
it_user526053
IT Officer at a non-profit with 501-1,000 employees
Oct 5, 2016
It provides backup target flexibility with full reporting regardless of the target.

What other advice do I have?

This is an endpoint backup solution. Do not look to them for server or database backup; that is not what they excel at. Laptops and desktops where you need user files only is what this product is designed for. We have trialed them for file servers but found that larger amounts of files or archive sizes (multi-terabyte and millions of files) cause problems with their system.
it_user420897
Senior Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Sep 8, 2016
It allows us to bring an enterprise level backup and recovery solution over to our small business.

What other advice do I have?

White glove support, user serviceable restores, automated report scheduling and a fantastic dashboard put this above the rest.
it_user486072
Desktop Services Specialist at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 8, 2016
Allows our IT staff to troubleshoot and restore data to machines that may have un-recoverable data due to damage.

What other advice do I have?

Code42's CrashPlan is a great backup solution, and should be considered the best in class for enterprise backup solutions.
it_user489426
Sr. Systems Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 4, 2016
Configurable backup locations allow us to gather non-standard data locations.

What other advice do I have?

In my opinion the CrashPlan solution is best of breed for a corporate data backup solution. It is very stable and easy to work with. The great support and service from Code42 is also a great feature of the product.
it_user485208
Technical Support Analyst at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Jul 26, 2016
It backs up silently and barely prompts the user for anything.
it_user436632
Network and Database Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
May 15, 2016
It is a set it and forget it application that administrators don't even notice running on their computers.

What other advice do I have?

We moved away from a local disk and tape backup solution to Code42's CrashPlan. I looked at other cloud storage outfits and CrashPlan is the most personal and friendly company to work with. They are also one of the least expensive.
it_user434397
IT Manager at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
May 1, 2016
We're able to change settings on the fly and push them to the remote end user immediately.

What other advice do I have?

It seems the best pricing can be gotten at the end of the quarter. But I think that is the same with any sales organization.
it_user430326
Marketing Guru at a security firm with 51-200 employees
Apr 24, 2016
The file versioning is fantastic and provides excellent protection against ransomware-style malware, and the ability to control your own encryption keys.

What other advice do I have?

This is a full-featured backup solution with a straight-forward licensing system and affordable pricetag. It's highly recommended for organizations both big and small.
it_user424716
BIM Manager at a construction company with 51-200 employees
Apr 18, 2016
The ability to restore files from a specific date and time is the feature that I like the best.

What other advice do I have?

Compared to all other backup solutions that I have encountered, Crashplan is a pleasure to use. It is very simple, yet very powerful. Stop reading these reviews and try it for yourself. You won't be sorry.
it_user398736
Technology Support Manager at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Mar 30, 2016
The most valuable features for us are the training and support they provide, as well as ease of backup from the product.
it_user351096
TSS with 1,001-5,000 employees
Mar 27, 2016
Deployment is automation-friendly and the integration with LDAP for access control management is seamless. But, rarely, and only on OS X, the backup agent would need to be stopped and re-installed.

What other advice do I have?

The free version of the CrashPlan client actually comes in handy free personal use or when there is an odd machine which needs to be backed up off-site.
it_user411552
Information Technology, Parts Sales at a transportation company with 51-200 employees
Mar 24, 2016
It has Continuous backup, cross-platform deployment, ease of recovery, flexible storage destinations, low CPU footprint.

What other advice do I have?

I'd encourage even smaller businesses to contact Code42 and express interest in purchasing CrashPlan PROe licenses. It's simply the best option out there for multiplatform continuous backup, and I would like to think that the developers would prefer market penetration even in the small business sector to the marginally higher projection stability of higher-volume licensing.
it_user407556
Senior Security Engineer - Systems Management at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Mar 20, 2016
It has efficient processor and bandwidth utilization and clean, straightforward interface and reliable backups.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the company and the product. Code 42 is a great company with a bright future. The development team is nothing short of amazing.
it_user408096
Dell KACE Advisory Board Member at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 20, 2016
We don't worry about if a machine is worth backing up anymore or needing to assess the value of its data, it's a yes answer now.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the storage space available and a need to back up multiple machines, Crashplan is a no-brainer almost.
it_user409134
IT Technician at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Mar 20, 2016
It works with multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac and Linux.

What other advice do I have?

You may ask if you need a classic backup software or if a synchronization software like Google Drive or Dropbox may work better.
it_user392001
Contributing author at a media company with 51-200 employees
Feb 25, 2016

Valuable Features:

CrashPlan, in general, is a great tool to have because backups are essential. The service is easy to use, easy to maintain, and easy to recover files if things go wrong. The service is reasonably priced, but you won't even consider the cost if something goes wrong and you need your files back. Recommended. I use CrashPlan at home and at work.

Improvements to My Organization:

Allows easy recovery of data, and that's the most important part.

Room for Improvement:

The GUI could use improvement, but generally it's fine.

Use of Solution:

I've used the home solution for two years now. I have over 1.5TB stored on their servers.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

We've had no issues with stability.

Scalability

it_user391362
Sim Tech Lead at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feb 22, 2016
It constantly monitors for changes and can back up over any internet connection, making it ideal for those organizations with a large mobile workforce that rarely "comes in" to connect.

What other advice do I have?

We could not be more pleased that we pulled the trigger on CrashPlan from Code42. It is the kind of solution that just works. There are a lot more features coming in pending releases, which we are excited to take advantage of.
it_user392004
Manager, IT at a marketing services firm with 51-200 employees
Feb 22, 2016
We're able to backup devices even when they don't come into the office on a regular basis.

What other advice do I have?

It is worthwhile for any IT environment to deploy this solution. I haven't seen any environment where it wouldn't be beneficial.
it_user266166
Director of Information Systems with 501-1,000 employees
Feb 8, 2016
With central administration, we're able to see who isn't backed up before they lose data, but it needs improved reporting for backup progress.
it_user371184
Customer Support Analyst II with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 23, 2016
We have saved central storage space on our servers by having most individual user data be backed up through CrashPlan.
it_user361956
IT Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 29, 2015
It's equally useful for file recovery or simply moving a user to a new computer.

What other advice do I have?

Even with the trend of moving data to the cloud, end-point backup remains a critical necessity in the modern end-user computing environment. Systems fail, users delete data, users switch computers and things still go wrong and make backups a necessity. CrashPlan is equally useful for file recovery or simply moving a user to a new computer. The best part of CrashPlan is that is just works. Its a solid, well-written product with great support that give users a sense of security about the data that keeps the business working. Read More
it_user357099
Network Security Administrator at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 20, 2015
We're able to restore things that were wiped out either by design or "oops" equally easy, but in the beginning, we had a few issues with the Email Invites from the dashboard.

What other advice do I have?

With a sound network engineer and the Code42 support, we were able to get the dashboard up and running in just a few hours. Since then, we have had great success with restoring and saving the day!
it_user354342
Senior Systems Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 20, 2015
I like the low overhead of the desktop application, that it backs up on a set schedule, and that it can be throttled so that it does not use a lot of bandwidth.
it_user349107
Senior Network Engineer at a real estate/law firm with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 17, 2015
It just backs up on a set schedule and can be throttled so that it does not use a lot of bandwidth.

What other advice do I have?

I love the Unlimited Retention. I like the ability to throttle the backups so if you are on limited or metered bandwidth its not an issue.
it_user349092
Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
Dec 17, 2015
I can now have my help desk workers restore files instead of those tickets coming to me. The unlimited backup has helped us restore files when users forget to tell us they are missing.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a new backup solution, give them a shot. It will be well worth your time to evaluate this product.
it_user338202
Technical Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 26, 2015
We have no more worries when a customer PC breaks up, but we encountered an issue with the datastore implementation.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a reliable, private cloud, comprehensive endpoint backup solution CrashPlan is one of the best choices you can make!
it_user344262
Knowledge Manager/Technical Support Specialist at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
Nov 26, 2015
It has a small footprint and runs silently in the background. My customers don't even know it is there until they need it.

What other advice do I have?

This has been the easiest, most reliable backup product I have ever used.
it_user337263
Owner/General Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 6, 2015
We have had to use it several times to restore documents that have been lost for various reasons. The process was very simple to restore documents.

What other advice do I have?

I would only say that I could not recommend this product enough. It has delivered on everything it says it does. The cost is right, and it is very simple to use.
it_user312414
Helpdesk Technician at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Oct 9, 2015
It provides data encryption at the source, but is too dependent on Java.

Valuable Features:

Lightweight client, version backups, in-house storage, data encryption at the source, Centralized Administration, Excellent customer support

Improvements to My Organization:

It has saved many users from the loss of hundreds of hours of work. The potential losses have come in many different forms, but Crashplan has been the safety net that management has mandated from our very early days. We continue to see viable returns on our investment.

Room for Improvement:

Hey, Code 42! Isn't it time that we lose the Java dependency??
it_user309756
Education Account Executive at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 29, 2015
My MacBook backs up automatically without my involvement, providing me with assurance that my data is secure and recoverable.
it_user300762
Server Advisor at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 27, 2015
We no longer have to use piecemeal procedures that failed more than it saved data, but its use of Java needs to be eliminated.

Valuable Features:

I really like that it backs up the second it knows where to go.

Improvements to My Organization:

We were using piecemeal procedures that failed more than it saved data. This has had a huge impact on our organization.

Room for Improvement:

Java needs to go away.
it_user278580
Desktop Services Specialist with 501-1,000 employees
Aug 4, 2015
The back-up process does not slow down systems because of a file scan-and-sync.
it_user278397
Director of Information Technology with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 4, 2015
It backs up the files of users in the field automatically without them doing their own backups on USB drives.

Valuable Features

Ease of recovery by end users.

Improvements to My Organization

We used to use a LAN-based backup which required home-office use only. When the users went into the field and completed work, that work was always at risk. The users were supposed to do their own backups of the data on USB drives, but it was rarely done. Now, there is no question that the files are backed up.

Use of Solution

Four years

The deployment was smooth and easy.

None

Customer Service: Exceptional customer service. Always above and beyond. Technical Support: Also exceptional.

The setup was quite easy. It was a Linux deployment that we have since moved to…
it_user279222
IT Manager with 51-200 employees
Jul 26, 2015
It allows for a set-and-forget backup process, but it should have the Java engine removed.

What is most valuable?

Set-and-forget (but email reports are available) backup process. It's hard to mess up the setup.

What needs improvement?

Removal of the Java engine would be fantastic.

1 year

I've never had a problem getting a hold of somebody within a few minutes if I had a question.

We used MozyPro previously. The per-GB charge was causing the price to skyrocket.
it_user278385
Infrastructure and Support Manager with 51-200 employees
Jul 26, 2015
End-user workstation backups are consistent and always running, but I'd like to see the ability to bulk clear alerts in the admin console.

What is most valuable?

Continuously automated with no end-user involvement.

How has it helped my organization?

End-user workstation backups are consistent and always running. Previously they were rarely completed correctly.

What needs improvement?

Would like to see the ability to bulk clear alerts in the admin console in a future release.

5 years

No issues with deployment at all.

No stability issues.

No scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is excellent! Technical Support: Technical support is…
it_user277506
Infrastructure Engineer at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Jul 22, 2015
95% of restores globally are self-service so that IT doesn't have to get involved. But, reporting is limited if not using the API.
customer274059
Customer Support Technician with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 16, 2015
While it's not cheap and initial deployment issues notwithstanding, it cleans infections and losslessly restores data.

What other advice do I have?

CrashPlan is one of the top three software implementations I have ever been involved with in 15 years. It makes my job easier. It makes the users jobs easier. I have seen users almost break down and cry tears of joy because we were able to restore critical documentation with years of research so quickly. It makes us in IT support look good.
it_user273921
Assisstant Systems Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 16, 2015
It eases the minds of our executive users when they are mobile.

What is most valuable?

Central management, easy to deploy and install, AD integration, set-and-forget because it just works.

How has it helped my organization?

CrashPlan has allowed us to ease the minds of our executive users when they are mobile. The software backs up and maintains their data from anywhere and the end users have access as well.

Going on 2 years.

Customer Service: Customer service is fantastic as they are very quick to respond and will help you out with any and every question. Technical Support: Technical support is great as well. Their online documentation is perfect and answers nearly every question you could imagine.

Which solution did I use previously and why did I

it_user270768
Manager, Internal Systems Support with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 14, 2015
Our mobile workforce has their valuable data protected with this easy-to-install solution.

Valuable Features

Seamless backup of our valuable data on mobile systems.

Improvements to My Organization

It helps protect our valuable data for our mobile workforce.

Use of Solution

At D+H we have used CrashPlan for 1 year.

None, it was very easy to install.

Customer Service: Excellent, no problems. Technical Support: Excellent
it_user269073
Student Technology Integration with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 12, 2015
Enterprise level migration is easy and seamless into an existing SSO, but some parts of the UI aren't very helpful for end users.
it_user270174
Senior Manager, Enterprise Systems Management at a consultancy with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 10, 2015
We can back up frequently, not just once a day. However, the reporting feature could use improvement.

What is most valuable?

Internet-facing cloud solution, ability to back up frequently and not just once per day.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have more peace of mind when protecting our data.

What needs improvement?

Reporting.

2 Years

Customer Service: Very high. The customer support folks we worked with were outstanding! Technical Support: Superb! Every time we call they answer and are ready to help.

Yes. We didn't like the fact…
it_user267390
Application Specialist–Advanced at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 7, 2015
It's proven to be a backup and restore solution that's unobtrusive, but they could reduce the price.

What other advice do I have?

Computer users do not back up their files. Or they back them up on external hard drives that they keep in the laptop bag. When bad things happen, they can't retrieve them. CrashPlan solves that problem. CrashPlan has proven to be a backup AND restore solution when other solutions were only "good" at backing up. Restore? Not a priority with other "solutions." CrashPlan allows my employees to think about business, not whether their files are backed up. CrashPlan has proven to be reliable and unobtrusive to the user experience. We have had minimal issues and nothing significant.
it_user266166
Director of Information Systems with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 3, 2015
With it, we now have empirical evidence that we're protecting endpoints. It requires, however, that servers be treated like end-users.

What other advice do I have?

Stop evaluating. Purchase CrashPlan. Implement it. Go spend time on other IT initiatives because CrashPlan just works.
it_user261561
IT Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 30, 2015
With it, I can access files anywhere, on and off the domain.

What is most valuable?

Some of the most valuable assets that I have found are just the ease of use of the product and that I can access the files anywhere. Now there is also an iOS app that I am looking forward to using and I love being mobile.

How has it helped my organization?

Well at work we are not allowed to use Time machine backup therefore its nice to be able to access the files on and off the domain and then i can access them on my home computer.

What needs improvement?

None at the moment.

Me personally 4 months, but the company I work for has been using this for about two years now I believe.

I have not it has been a very easy transition into using this software. …
it_user261594
Senior Desktop Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 30, 2015
While it, like most other backup products, has internal/external cloud backups and granular security settings, its customer support really sets it apart.

Valuable Features:

This product works like most other backup products available. There are some advantages with appliances available, internal or external cloud backups, and fairly granular security settings. This company stands out on it's customer support. There have been technicians available every step of the way, through testing to deployment, and scaling. No problem is too big, or too small for these guys!

Use of Solution:

6 months
it_user262257
IT Specialist with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 30, 2015
It's very stable and data backup and restore is seamless.

Valuable Features

The ease of use for the end user and the seamless data backup and restore ability.

Improvements to My Organization

It has drastically reduced restore and migration times for end users.

Use of Solution

2+ Years

No, the product has been incredibly stable.

Customer Service: Customer service has been excellent. Technical Support: Excellent.

Setup was straightforward and relatively painless.

Implementation Team

We installed the product in-house.

Other Advice

I can recommend CrashPlan to anyone. It has saved us in IT countless hours restoring data and migrating users to new machines.
it_user262140
Network Administrator with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 29, 2015
You can schedule it with the client or push it out with group policy, but you'll need to negotiate the lowest price for licensing.
Michael Madayag
IT System Administrator with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 26, 2015
Its UI is very intuitive for both the end users and admins, but download speeds could be faster when restoring from the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

Crashplan has saved my company from a great deal of data loss. I recently recommended Crashplan Pro for Small Business to a family member and it has saved them from complete loss of data due to a catastrophic hard drive failure.
it_user262119
Assistant Director of University Card Services with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 25, 2015
With up-to-date backups, it's helped us keep several executives happy when kryptolocker visited, but we could benefit from multi-user support.

What other advice do I have?

This backup solution seems to be the best on the market. Ease of usability, both on the administrative side and the customer side, make it worth the install alone. Add in the stability and constant reassurance of knowing your files are only a download away is next to none.
it_user261405
Senior System Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 25, 2015
The web console allows me to see all of my users and their devices, and to manage my various licenses.

What other advice do I have?

The biggest question that I am asked by my users is "Are you sure it's running? I don't notice it - it's not slowing me down." That's a big compliment to the software.
it_user261306
Logistics Analyst/Systems Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 25, 2015
Setup and configuration are easy, but I'd like to see some better options with account management.

Valuable Features

Ease of setup and configuration.

Improvements to My Organization

We no longer have to be concerned about losing data to drive failures or user error.

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see some better options with account management in the software and a simpler way to track where you are using licenses.

Use of Solution

3 Years

None, it went flawlessly.

I have had a remote storage server fail to start a couple times. Its a simple fix since the service backs up all its settings and lets you just re-install to get right back to where you were.

Code42 has excellent customer support. We always get prompt replies to e-mails, and their phone/chat support has yet to let us

Other

it_user261600
ITS Support Analyst II with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 25, 2015
Helpful when migrating users from one machine to another, but there's no support for multi-user environments.

What other advice do I have?

This product is great for data recovery. There have been several times that CrashPlan has saved us from data loss due to viral, malware attacks. A year ago the cryptolocker virus was running pretty rampant and any time it got into a machine we were always able to wipe it clean and restore without issues. If Code42 can figure out the multi-user environment issue this product would be hands down a must have.
it_user261576
IT Director at a tech vendor
Jun 24, 2015
We have been able to keep backups of mobile/laptop data reliable for the end user in case there is a major incident, but I'm waiting for an app that can be installed on smartphones and tablets.

What other advice do I have?

Again great solution and great company.
it_user261339
Systems Administrator Asst. at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 24, 2015
It keeps back ups simple, but it tends to time-out with slower connections.

Valuable Features:

Quiet running and easy to administrate.

Improvements to My Organization:

Problem users never "forget" to back up.

Room for Improvement:

In the places we have slower connections it has a time out problem. A time setting would be nice so we can set these clients to backup after hours.

Use of Solution:

two years

Scalability Issues:

We just keep adding licenses.  No issues.  We went from 10 to 50 to over 300 seats now.

Other Advice:

Everyone has a backup now. In daily work life it is easy to forget to backup your files. This makes it simple.
Deron Turner
Data Center Technician with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 24, 2015
It has restored files we thought were lost because of computer crashes, but there were licensing and storage issues with scaling.

What is most valuable?

Set and forget. Easy to install and update. Client is never aware that it is even running and backing up their data without utilizing much computational power.

How has it helped my organization?

Restored files that we have lost due to computer crashing, as well as many other problems that we have been able to restore project essential files.

What needs improvement?

none

2+ years

none

Other than licensing issues and limited amount of data storage, but that is expected with scaling.

it_user261282
Executive & Internal System Support with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jun 24, 2015
All users save locally instead of to a network drive, which saves cost, but backing up required ports.

What other advice do I have?

This is by far the best cloud-based backup solution. If you are looking into cloud solutions, stop. Purchase Crashplan and never lose a night's sleep again.
it_user261273
Network Analyst at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Jun 24, 2015
CrashPlan is an excellent backup product. Unlike many backup solutions, it has a lightweight client that I don't even know is there. The enterprise edition has centralized management for all devices being backed up on our domain, and the data is encrypted before leaving our machines. The restore function can be a little cumbersome when restoring from the centralized management console, however the client based restore is relatively simple.
it_user173670
Venture Center Senior Associate with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dec 18, 2014
​Its seamless, just works. Set it, forget it, and if something comes up, they email you.

What other advice do I have?

Do it. Pick this one – it’s the best.
it_user172851
Managed Service Engineer with 51-200 employees
Dec 16, 2014
Easy to use but needs a deployment tool to aid implementation

What is most valuable?

Available across multiple-platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

Ease of use as compared to its competitors.

What needs improvement?

The administration side as reporting ability is lacking.

2 years

Yes. Many, but it came from outside of the product.

Not too much.

Very little. But without a working deployment tool, it becomes very challenging to deploy to 500+ people.

Customer Service: Best support portal I have ever used. Technical Support: Great so far.

Which solution did I use