Cohesity DataProtect Overview

Cohesity DataProtect is the #5 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Rubrik: Cohesity DataProtect vs Rubrik

What is Cohesity DataProtect?

Distributed scale-out platform: Replace individual storage appliances with a web-scale platform. Ensure high-availability, pay as you grow by scaling performance and capacity linearly, and eliminate expensive forklift upgrades.

Hyperconverged nodes: Bring compute to your data instead of moving copies of data to the compute. Run secondary data workflows including data protection, test / dev and analytics directly on the Cohesity platform. Accelerate IO performance with SSD caching.

Support for backups, files and test / dev copies: Consolidate your secondary data on the Cohesity platform with support for NFS and SMB interfaces. Consolidate backups, files, and test / dev copies.

Cohesity DataProtect is also known as Cohesity.

Cohesity DataProtect Buyer's Guide

Download the Cohesity DataProtect Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Cohesity DataProtect Customers

Tribune Media

Cohesity DataProtect Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

User at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
The product is easy to put in place and all backups are done very quickly

What is our primary use case?

Backing up of our virtual environment (VMware) by replacing our current backup software that is more of an old fashion solution: not very scalable and not really well designed for multitenancy.

What other advice do I have?

Cohesity offers the possibility to do a free POC, so if you have any doubt, try it, and I am sure you will see a lot of their advantages.
User
The ability to host file shares and back up our environment in one device is amazing

What is our primary use case?

We use this to back up our VM environment. We are also using this to store file shares for our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It's allowed us to consolidate various backup solutions into one. This has helped us from paying separate vendors for our past backup solution.

What is most valuable?

We have found that being able to host file shares and back up our environment in one device is amazing.

What needs improvement?

I would say they could work on the update process of the nodes.  They could also make it easier to try out beta versions of their software without the need of opening tickets.

Less than one year.
Learn what your peers think about Cohesity DataProtect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Infrastructure Engineer
Reseller
Searching data in VMs for restore and downloading specific files

What is our primary use case?

Backing up virtual machines on our public and private IaaS platforms. It is also used as an NFS shared secondary storage to virtual machines.

What other advice do I have?

Take it a go, I think you'll love it.
Director of Information Technology at Lighthouse Resources Inc
Replication to other Cohesity clusters is a breeze

What is our primary use case?

Secure backup solutions that can replicate off-site to a variety of secondary storage solutions, including other Cohesity clusters.
User
It has the ability to sync our latest backups to amazon web services for offsite DR

What is our primary use case?

We utilize Cohesity as our backup solution, it provides tiered backup layers of our VMware and physical environment as well as replaces tape storage for archival uses.
IT Manager at a university with 1-10 employees
User
It's completely reliable and easy to restore

What is our primary use case?

Virtual machines Four physical machines A lot of SQL databases A huge amount of applications and application databases.  Mainly backing up locally, then replicating to the cloud, for three months.

How has it helped my organization?

The complex, cumbersome restores are gone. It's simple to back up. It's completely reliable and easy to restore. It has a lightning fast restore.

What is most valuable?

The spin-up of a VM within a test environment for backup testing along with quick restores.

What needs improvement?

Bare metal backups of MS AD Microsoft Exchange online mailbox backups would be fantastic. Restoring OUs/individual users from the AD would be awesome.

Data Center Technician at nuskin
We used to use NetBackup. We are tired of using tapes and Cohesity has the features that we're interested in.

What is our primary use case?

We were backing up about 160 TB to tape per week. We are still moving over to Cohesity, however, we will not have the need to have the hardware related to tapes next year. Also, the money we spend on new versions of tapes is not going towards more clusters. In Cohesity, my backups are running faster and I have more frequent crash consistent data.

What other advice do I have?

At this time I don't, as I learn more I will update my review.
Quality Engineer II at Cvent
A cost-effective storage designed for secondary or archival data

What is our primary use case?

Cohesity has acted as a perfect secondary storage for storing our archival data, as well as running the non I/O intensive VMs directly on the NFS data stores.

• "Cohesity is a cost-effective storage designed for secondary or archival data. It also integrates well with a number of other systems, like VMware, Pure Storage, or AWS with its large array of APIs available to the user."
  • "The four independent node cluster architecture is redundant. It maintains data integrity and load balancing."
  • "Since it is an evolving product, there are lot of frequent releases which require upgrades to be done every other weekend."
  • "The support team could do a better job. Sometimes finding the correct person is cumbersome and time consuming."
Director of Information Systems at Community Hospital
Backups are quick and painless to set up

What is our primary use case?

Replacing our old disk-based backup system with a modern hyperconverged solution. Also, we are saving valuable datacenter rack space, which is critical as we evaluate co-location options.

• "We are saving valuable datacenter rack space, which is critical as we evaluate co-location options."
  • "We are looking forward to the next release, so we can take advantage of the AHV backup for our Nutanix environment."
  • "Backups are quick and painless to set up.​"
  • "Physical RDMs on virtual machines could be a bit easier to configure and plan out."
  • "The rack mounting instructions did not appear to be correct, but we were able to overcome it."
System Engineer at a educational organization
User
Can clone a virtual server in only minutes

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for data recovery and backups. We use VMware vSphere for our virtualization, and they fit together seamlessly.

• "I love the ability to clone a virtual server in only minutes."
  • "I would like to see Cohesity have the ability to do a file level restore from a Windows server, which is storing data on dynamic disk."

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product. I recommend it.
IT Infrastructure Engineer at Sector Alarm
A robust, verifiable backup with a restore solution

What is our primary use case?

Our company has approximately 1000 virtual servers in many different countries. SQL Secondary storage  Backup window Tapeout Easy scale out

How has it helped my organization?

A robust, verifiable backup with a restore solution, which decreases our backup and has a restore window.

What is most valuable?

Scalability Ease of setup and use. There is the possibility to use it as something else: Secondary storage and a place to clone/test machines.

What needs improvement?

A little more documentation on standard faults would help, as new features are being released quite often.

Less than one year.

Best customer service in the business.

What other

Senior Infrastructure Engineer at a healthcare company
User
Makes it easy to test backups to ensure that they are valid

What is our primary use case?

It is used to backup our VM environment plus the few physical servers we still have. It is also used to replicate our backups offsite. We have used it several times to spin up a test environment. Cohesity makes it easy to test backups to ensure that they are valid.

• "No longer does it take several hours to backup a VM or troubleshoot a backup issue."
  • "The dashboard is very easy to use."
  • "It is also very easy to determine which VMs are being backed up and which ones aren't. This is helpful to make sure nothing is being missed."
  • "We are waiting on the AIX agent to be released."
  • "Initial setup can be complex if you need to change IP addresses. Hopefully, they improve that in a future release."
System Engineer at a legal firm with 501-1,000 employees
Simplified backups and cut costs tremendously

What is our primary use case?

Our firm is using it as our primary backup and restore solution. Not only do we use it to backup both VMs and physical servers, we also use it to restore them along with mounting volumes to do email/Exchange type restores.

• "Cohesity has very simple reports to help you stay in the know of which servers are being backed up or not."
  • "Cohesity has simplified backups and has cut our costs tremendously."
  • "I have found that the speed of restores, especially files and folders, are extremely fast. This bodes well for us, and our end users are always amazed at how fast you can get them their files."
  • "At times, you may click the wrong server or click too fast and accidentally restore a cluster of servers. It would be very helpful to have a cancel option under restores."
Systems Administrator at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
We can run test scripts on production data

What is our primary use case?

* On-site disaster recovery * Cloud disaster recovery * Test and dev Cohesity gives us unparalleled features.

• "Instead of four different solutions for protecting VMs, physical servers, SQL, and NAS, we now have one solution with Cohesity that is lightning fast and has amazing features."
  • "We can run test scripts on production data."
  • "We like that we can use production data to run intensive reports that would otherwise bog down the production server."
  • "It would be great to add SQL ​Object Level restore, so user objects, tables, etc. can be restored without having to restore the entire DB."
  • "Their documentation could be refined."

What other advice do I have?

If SQL is in heavy use at your location, I would highly recommend narrowing your PoC testing to Cohesity and Rubrik. They will be competitive on pricing with each other, so really put them through the paces.
Lead Storage Administrator with 10,001+ employees
User
Setup was extremely easy from racking to backing up was about one hour

What is our primary use case?

Primary backup of our VMware environment with archiving to the cloud. By archiving to the cloud, we can cut out the need to purchase additional hardware for replication at our DR site.

• "Converged system. It makes much more sense to have the backup server running on the same hardware as the storage for backup and recovery."
  • "Setup was extremely easy from racking to backing up was about one hour."
  • "Cohesity customer service is the best that I have ever used. They are extremely fast in responding to cases, fixed all issues, and answered every question in a very timely manner."
  • "Add the ability to delete View Boxes and External Targets in the GUI."
Systemmanager at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees

What is our primary use case?

* VM backup and restore * Physical server backup and restore * File restoring * Cloning of VMs for test and dev * File sharing, like NFS

• "It offers an easy, quick backup and restore of files and VMs. Also, the "Google-like " search for files is awesome."
  • "The support is awesome. They are very fast, competent and friendly."
    IT Systems Administrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
    The biggest attraction to the product is its ability to scale up with ease

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution was as a backup and recovery solution, with the ability to handle VMware and a small subset of physical servers.

• "The implementation and training are all done through the sales engineer, which provides for a seamless and great experience when it comes to starting with a new vendor."
      Datacenter Management at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
      Extremely reduces the effort in daily backup and restore tasks

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for the solution is VM backup/restore, physical server backup, and file restore. Also, clone VMs for test and dev environments and file sharing.
      Lead Technical Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Simple, intuitive single pane for all backup/recovery tasks

What is our primary use case?

Backup target  Backup software

What is most valuable?

Instant recovery of VMs.

How has it helped my organization?

Backups are now much faster restored are much faster, which is a huge improvement over the previous platform. Simple, intuitive single pane for all backup/recovery tasks.

What needs improvement?

Application integration.

Six months.

No issues.

No issues.

No, we already added additional nodes without issues.

They are excellent.

Which solution did I use previously and

Systems Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has greatly simplified backups and recovery for our organization

What is most valuable?

The UI How easy it is to set up backups and restore data.

How has it helped my organization?

It has greatly simplified backups and recovery for our organization.

What needs improvement?

Better cluster support.

Since December 2016.

No, the deployment was flawless.

The stability has been perfect.

We have not done any scaling yet.

Customer Service: Customer support is excellent. Technical Support: Technical support for the product has been very good.

Which solution did I use

Sr. Systems Engineer at Quarles & Brady LLP
      User
      After it was up and running, it was simple to add a vCenter and start backups

What other advice do I have?

The potential to use the Tier-2 storage is great to have versus other solutions. Also, to be able to backup using a NAS device for it.
      PZ
      Senior Information Technology Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      User
      Backup tasks and test development environment.

What is most valuable?

Backup tasks and test development environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Speed and functionality.

What needs improvement?

Mature at a good pace.

About six months.

Customer Service: 10 out of 10. Technical Support: 10 out of 10.

We were looking for a robust solution that gives us scalability and recovery.

Straightforward.
      Director, Administrative & Residential Information Technology at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Fantastic product and the team developing it are top notch. Very excited for future releases from Cohesity.

What is most valuable?

SnapTree Cloud Replication File Services and Restoral

How has it helped my organization?

All production backup data is replicated daily to Azure and AzureGov for offsite DR

What needs improvement?

Multi-Tenant for single cluster

6 months

Yes, but they were very quickly resolved

Customer Service: 10 Technical Support: 10

Compellent with Dell Compellent and Nimble storage was way too expensive.

Manager of Information Services Infrastructure Team at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The features are still maturing but this solution allows any admin to backup and restore files. The dedupe and compression is very impressive.

What is most valuable?

Unified backup solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We removed multiple backup systems and replaced with Cohesity.

What needs improvement?

Faster backup and restores, reduced costs of backups.

3 Months

Few bugs in the interface but support resolved quickly.

I had hardware issues with one of the nodes before we went production but Cohesity quickly replaced it.

Customer Service: Excellent! Technical Support: Very good

User at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
      Has the ability to add nodes on the fly to increase storage needs.
      Download our free Cohesity DataProtect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.